March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Computers and Televisions are bad.

Adding Computers and Televisions will end your Sim skill building. I have tested this on 5 households and all ended the same. Before the electronics they would knit,read and paint even tend the broken garden. After adding the electronics it was couch potato paradise all day long even forgetting to use the bathroom. Nothing like watching Sims watching television.

Comments

• gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited August 2020
    I actually agree with this. The Sims 4 is about chatting, cellphones, and fun (Their core needs) over everything else period. That is one of the problems about all Sims are the same no matter aspirations, traits, body size, faces, and gender. Sims in 4 are not unique or smart this go around because overall they need to chat, stick their faces in cellphones, and do fun things all the time over any other need. Sim has to go to the bathroom, close to the red need.. fun is all the way full, but OMG there is a computer/television... must have fun.
  • birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 399 Member
    Just like real life... :#
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member

Lol, I hate cellphones (phones period) and chatting. I am half blind and have CKD for awhile now, even on dialysis now. So, I can not do what I use to for fun (television and movies get old quick for me). I use to do art, exploring roads (pick a road and follow it), swim, walk around and admire old architect, go to flee markets or garage sales, play with my kids or pets, or basically more active stuff than phones, television, computers, and movies.

More like a loner so being a social butterfly would be a nightmare to me (hate parties, bars, or any crowded place... even family events). There are some truly unique people in the world... I am one.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Until they introduced security settings, I banned computers from sims' homes as they were utterly addicted. I even remember the time they were addicted to the woodworking bench!

But I'm happy with them all sitting watching TV as that's what goes on in my home! :D

In some households, I might go back to a stereo and a bookcase full of skill books as the only source of entertainment, as I remember that worked well.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    I don't really mind the tv cause i too personally love wasting time watching tv shows but phone and browse web got me annoyed to the max with ts4

I also wish more non machine related things gave sims fun cause its just all so machiney in ts4 you cant escape techy stuff
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member

In Sulani, I generally have no TV's in the house, (They can go to the bar to watch TV. lol!) When I have to put a computer in, I usually have it locked until I need a sim to actually do something on it. Then just unlock it temporarily for that sim. For example; a conservationist, have it accessible only to that sim. Or if a kid needs to do some studying for school.

There are many other ways to have fun. My Admiral 8Q's Wreckage is completely off-the-grid. Not even a computer. Still can't disable cell-phones though. A simple option to use it only as a telephone, not a computer, would be cool.

To be honest, I bought the "Outdoor Retreat" mainly for the 'off-the-grid' stuff. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited August 2020
    Something I've been doing with computers is buying the laptops instead. I drag it into one sim's inventory and only pull it out when someone needs it. Often I'll forget to put it back so once that sim gets up, other sims in the household scramble to get their hands on it. lol

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think they can pull it out on their own :grey_question: Please correct me if I am wrong. :#
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Something I've been doing with computers is buying the laptops instead. I drag it into one sim's inventory and only pull it out when someone needs it. Often I'll forget to put it back so once that sim gets up, other sims in the household scramble to get their hands on it. lol

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think they can pull it out on their own :grey_question: Please correct me if I am wrong. :#

You can "claim" it for the one sim (I think that's a mod I have). Otherwise can you lock it like a desktop? I'll have to look in-game and get back at you on that.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    SimplyJen wrote: »

You can "claim" it for the one sim (I think that's a mod I have). Otherwise can you lock it like a desktop? I'll have to look in-game and get back at you on that.
    You're not wrong. I had a mod for locking things at some point but I don't know if that feature was somewhat patched in at some point.

I liked the idea of the household sharing one computer/laptop and keeping it out of everyone's reach until it's needed. That way I'm not fighting to keep sims off the computer.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    Actually, one of my Sims was foregoing her Archaeological duties to carve wood items. It was crazy-insane. I kept sending her upstairs to fulfill her obligation of validating the item sent to her in the mail, only to find out it was still on her table, and she was out on the side porch working on a wooden something-or-other. Suffice it to say, she was obsessed. I had to remove the woodworking table.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,061 Member
    But... but....

#couchpotatoesarerealpeoplesimstoo

Spending all my time eating pizza, watching movies, playing video games, and making money without lifting a finger... all the while not worrying about dropping dead from a myocardial infarction (due to a poor diet and lack of exercise). I want to be able to live vicariously through my sims, dang it!

:D:D:D
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • StrudelzzStrudelzz Posts: 23 Member
    I have more of an issue with the phones. I can just take the computer away (and in my games at least the TV doesn't get a lot of attention) but they LOVE distracting each other by showing funny videos every time.
    SyGRAhJ.gif
    Good for health, bad for education.
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    edited August 2020

Was just coming here to say that!

And let's not even start with children and tablets. :|
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member

Yup. I even read all of these posts in my dad's voice and felt like I was 14 again lol But yeah, it's the most realistic aspect of the sims thus far.
  • jbadger12jbadger12 Posts: 321 Member
    I get the impression when reading these forums that I'm very controlling with my sims, compared to other players. Guests in my sim's home use the computer and television quite frequently, but my own sims do what I tell them to do. I have full autonomy on, but I still direct them to eat, bathe, do homework, etc.
    I wasn't always so strict with them. I recall that in the early days of Sims 4, the telescope was very popular among my sims. One of them stayed in it observing for hours; she was starving and exhausted when I finally forced her to leave it.
    In regards to GalacticGal's comment, I've noticed that the archaeology table now seems to share an issue with the robotics workbench, in that any sim using it will cancel out of the action and go do something else (in my house, it's usually shooting baskets on the basketball court), unless you give them a follow-on task (like watching TV).
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
    Gallery ID: jjbadgett12
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Hmm... I have sims autonomously garden, paint, cook (lots of cooking) and even play chess. And that's with multiple computers and a tv in the house. Now, it takes time for this to be the case... I have to train them. I'm not saying that they don't go on the computer or watch tv autonomously, but that's just one of several actions they may take when I'm directing another sim to work on something else.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    This is why I play with autonomy off. I MUST BE IN CONTROL >:)
    funny-gifs20.gif

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Well it is a life simulator...
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    TBH, most of the time, I forgot to add TV to my Sims' houses because IRL, I don't really watch TV. Yet, computer is a must. I locked the laptop/computer per individual Sims, hence I don't really have that much problem.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    This is why I play with autonomy off. I MUST BE IN CONTROL >:)

^This! I rarely, rarely let my Sims have full autonomy unless it's a challenge requirement for the exact same reason mentioned by the OP and for many other reasons. I read soooo many threads on here of Simmers having troubles with their Sims not doing what they want them to do and/or dropping queued up tasks to do something else, blocking other Sims from tending to babies, standing in front of the fridge to eat, blocking others trying to get food, doing the in/out highchair dance, etc., etc.

I know you shouldn't have to do it, and a lot of Simmers love just letting/watching their Sims do whatever they want, or it's a necessity due to large families. That's cool, you do you! But checking the 'no autonomy' box can be your best friend if it bothers you that much, and you play with smaller families like I do. Just my opinion... *shrugs*

*Note - 'No autonomy' is actually a bit of a misnomer since it isn't 'No' autonomy as the title would have you believe. Sims will still pick their own chat topics if you have nothing queued up for them, run off to chat with someone asking to chat with them, even if miles away, and try to fill their needs if they get too low and you haven't directed them to fill them yet. They don't just stand/sit there until you give them a command anymore in some cases. It should actually be called 'Semi-Autonomy' now. No autonomy was changed in a recent patch for some inconceivable reason. *sigh* I wish they'd change it back or at least add a true 'No autonomy' category again. Anyway...

Happy Simming! <3
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I can't deal with their obsessive behaviors sometimes. I've stopped placing stereos in my sims homes because all they want to do all day is dance like idiots. They group around it and dance endlessly for hours. It drives me insane. I don't mind the obsession with computers and tv as much but it still would be nice if it was toned down a bit so they would be more varied in their activities.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    The TV, the Stereo, the Game Pad, the computer. All bad bad bad. I will admit to still having them in the house. A dancing toddler is too cute to not have a stereo. Sitting on the couch watching a movie with the family after homework is complete and the dishes are done is too irresistible not to have a TV. The filling of the fun need almost instantly after a hard day of work is too cool to get rid of the game pad not to mention the videos you can make while playing it to upload. My MCC mod would not be happy without a Computer so it has to stay. B)
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    With a tv they can gain guitar and coming skill
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    edited August 2020
    And with a computer they can gain programming, video gaming, writing and mischief skill and comedy
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    When I start a sim out they have no tv ... and I play them.... make them skill things and give them habits.
    I don't leave them two blocks from home either or they will pull out that cell phone and start developing the gaming skill/addiction.
    It's like simming 101 to me really. They will continue to pursue many things after you give them a push... including cleaning up after themselves.
    Of course traits will play a part in it sometimes but not always.
    egTcBMc.png