Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The lack of nice textured (curlier, afro) hairstyles is Getting me down. Also the skintones!

Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
edited August 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Like seriously. I mostly want to make more dark skinned sims to represent myself and i just become very frustrated at the lack of inclusion. The darker skintones go from light skin with a yellow undertone to very dark skin with an ashy undertone real fast. No middle ground and the textures of the skin is rough. Thats why skin replacements is the only cc i *must* have!

I own all of the DLC for sims 4 and i genuinely like about 10-12 of the hairstyles, the rest are very uninspired and drab. I like to create a variety of sims from dark to light. But now i feel discouraged from creating more darker featured sims and will stick to making lighter, straight hair featured sims until we get better representation.
Post edited by Sim_Architects on

Comments

• Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    The Nifty Knitting hair is nice. But i cant use it on every dark sim.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited August 2020
    The sims is just the reflection of society. The society doesn't care about black people. I am myself black.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    The sims is just the reflection of society. The society doesn't care about black people. I am myself black.

I am too and I really need better content . 98% of the hairstyles are straight and its killing me :'( I mostly wear my hair in twists and dont wear straight hair much anymore. I cant remember the last time i had straight hair.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited August 2020
    Yes my little sister was complaining of this too. Thankfully i found some really good CC and she was so happy with it!! And maxis match to boot. The expansions have more variety but the basegame black hairstyles are a joke and you shouldnt have to buy them to get more options. Its really sad. They have added more over time though. Remember when they said they used a CAUILFLOWER for inspiration? Theyve come a long way, but really its the modders who deliver for black simmers.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • irishdragon7irishdragon7 Posts: 124 Member
    I completely agree. I don't like creating dark skinned sims because I cannot find hair that looks authentic or even nice and the skin tones seem so off to me. I like to create very multicultural neighborhoods and sims, but I have not done as much with sims 4 because of these issues.
    I completely agree. I don't like creating dark skinned sims because I cannot find hair that looks authentic or even nice and the skin tones seem so off to me. I like to create very multicultural neighborhoods and sims, but I have not done as much with sims 4 because of these issues.

Same. I may actually have to take a break from even trying because every time i do i feel frustrated.
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Yess please!! And we need light skins also since there are only few options and they look so bad and unnatural. Honestly we would need color slide for skins or 2-3 times more variety. :neutral:
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Just several medium skin tones are fine. Light skintones are also awful and unreal. The same issue is with the hair. We have just stereotypical shades. I am trying to fix skintones by makeup but it doesnt work correctly. EA really need to see how people looks like around the world. I am native european and I can not create Sims which looks like european people too.
  • dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    We should have a slider for skin tones and undertones.
    I found a mod by Crilender, they created skin “tints” and it’s MARVELOUS! It’s a skin detail and you can use it with EA default skin or cc defaults . The really nice thing about them is you can use them to add whatever over/undertones you want to any skin. Making the skin tone as warm or cool as you want :)<3 really a lifesaver !
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I really hope they add some new swatches for poc and people with darker skintones :( this should be first priority and I will keep voicing for it to help.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I'd like more curly hairstyles for white people kind of hair.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I'd like more curly hairstyles for white people kind of hair.
    more curly is definitely needed.

• KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    I have a deep skin tone and I cannot make myself in the game. I made my simself but the skin didn't match mine.

I also have curly hair. They had a hairstyle similar to mine as it is now in the sims 3 though.

I don't know if us tweeting and making videos on it will work. 😞 I hope it does though.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    Just several medium skin tones are fine. Light skintones are also awful and unreal. The same issue is with the hair. We have just stereotypical shades. I am trying to fix skintones by makeup but it doesnt work correctly. EA really need to see how people looks like around the world. I am native european and I can not create Sims which looks like european people too.
    Exactly and the hair color options are horrible Europeans have so many color and shade varieties and we get some McDonalds yellow and box color looking red hair completely unnatural colors swatches. Seems a lot of us have to turn to cc because the game refuses to supply the basics done right.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2020

I agree that some people don't care at all. However, when it comes to business, it's probably not a matter of caring or not caring. It's likely more of a numbers game. A smaller audience, less money to be made. It looks as if the same thing is going on regarding males. Someone at EA/Maxis made the calculation a long time ago that fewer people worry about male CAS assets. As a result, the focus is mainly on female assets. The disparity is glaring.

I'm still going to give EA/Maxis credit for stepping up their game of late. TS4 has more options for ethnic hair than any of the previous games. Usually, the best offerings were that tired cornrows straight-to-the back style or a big, old mushroom afro. After a while, someone added dreads.
    Currently, there is a lot more variety. Also, we've finally got hairlines that look like mine when I haven't brushed and laid it down. It took nearly twenty years, but better late than never.
    DatLlama wrote: »
    We should have a slider for skin tones and undertones.

This.

EA/Maxis went back and modified all of their assets to make them available to both genders. Since then, they've seemed quite resistant to going through that again to add color wheels or sliders.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Awesome for more skin tones, but it’s a little condescending to claim they listen yet only commit to this after their top game changers collectively spoke out about it. Free marketing publicly calling out the developers does not tell me they are doing anything with the feedback they hear.
    Awesome for more skin tones, but it’s a little condescending to claim they listen yet only commit to this after their top game changers collectively spoke out about it. Free marketing publicly calling out the developers does not tell me they are doing anything with the feedback they hear.

Doesnt matter! I dont think anyone is looking to hold grudges, we just want the content.
    Khrisstyne wrote: »

Very thankful! This is great. Hopefully we can see an update in the next 2-3 months??? I know she didnt mention a timeline though :)
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

Doesnt matter! I dont think anyone is looking to hold grudges, we just want the content.

In the bigger picture you’re right. Just an observation on my end.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member

Very thankful! This is great. Hopefully we can see an update in the next 2-3 months??? I know she didnt mention a timeline though :)

I thought she mentioned fall.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    Rouensims wrote: »

I thought she mentioned fall.

I missed that! Thanks ! 😊
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    I hope it's lighter skin tones as well as dark ones.This issue is an everyone issue.Glad more for skin tones
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member

This comment made me really sad to read. :( I hope one day we get to a point where you don't have to feel like this any more. And I want you to know that there are people of different skin colours who will always stand with you and for you about injustices. I may not understand how your struggle feels but I will always do everything in my power to fight against it. <3