Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Smarter Sims, Have You Ever Seen One?

Comments

• TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Best example of "smart" sims in the Sims 4. Sim is a vegetarian. Sim autonomously eats meat. Great...

I mean to be fair, they do have "Wierder Stories" On their Tagline :D:D

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2020
    My sim has 14 college degrees and still does not know how to stay seated.

That reminds me of when I was filming for a story video in TS4 and I had sat one Sim down in another room so I could film two others having a conversation. I be darn if she didn't pop up out of nowhere and stand and listen to their conversation. I was so mad, lol, I had to totally rewrite what I had planned and include her into the conversation, as I didn't feel like redoing any of that. (Free Will was off)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Sims who love the outdoors not going outdoors. Squeamish sims picking up dog poop. Good sims trolling forums. Smart, my foot!
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Sims who love the outdoors not going outdoors. Squeamish sims picking up dog poop. Good sims trolling forums. Smart, my foot!

LOL, yes, one of my Sims got tense often because when left alone to his own devices he always chose something else to do rather than go outside. He could have read outside, (perfect bench outside his door) he could have went out to talk to the Sims hanging near his house, he could have went out to fish, pond was very close, he could have used any of the stuff placed outside, but he chose to stay in and get tense.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    My sim has 14 college degrees and still does not know how to stay seated.

Haha. After 14 degrees I'd be a bit twitchy also. 😄
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    More like dead. That's 56 years at 4 per degree. Colleges have limits on the transfer credit routine.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    edited August 2020
    I've never really seen smarter Sims. But by far, TS4 Sims, be killing me when it's time to prepare a meal....& granted they have the kitchen counter space you could ever need....& they go upstairs to the farthest bathroom to prepare the food. & then lets not even get into how long it takes them to eat, with the musical chairs. Preparing food & eating is such a fiasco in my game, that sometimes, I cheat & use UI cheats and fill everyone's hunger. Not once, but anytime they need to eat. Like I be so overdramatic - but I can't handle it. It can take 3-4 in-game hours just to cook and eat :)

I did have this one situation in TS4, which I'm assuming is a glitch....but my child Sim drowned in the pool....which I honestly didn't know was a thing. The dad jumped into the pool right after him. & to me....it was like he was trying to save his child. Actually, the dad was probably clueless to what was occurring & just going for a swim. But the child Sim, didn't die....the glitch, I guess....so in my storytelling mind, the dad jumped in the pool to save his son. I captured screenshots that made it look that way. If it were true, that would have been a smart Sim for sure.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    In my opinion, multitasking is about it. They are definitely dumber than TS3 Sims, and when compared to TS2 Sims, like comparing a crash test dummy to a genius. And that's the painful part. A game that is fifteen years old, besting a game that is 6 and still in active release with new packs coming.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I hate how when my sim is very tired and in the red she chooses to take a nap only to wake up still tired and in the red. how about you try sleeping for once! Really drives me crazy how these silly sims cant take care of themselves, i have to cheat needs when i am playing a big household because they love waiting till the last second before trying to fulfill a need. Ok, so they arent a total mess but they do neglect themselves sometimes. I am talking about ts4 here, cant recall if my ts2 family is this incompetent or not.
    Camkat wrote: »

Yes! They would even talk about and remember things that happened. If your sim had a burglary or a fire in their house, they often talked about it later with other sims. Sometimes for a few days!

Memories definitely helped them feel smarter. In TS3 memories caused the save to bloat and become unplayable, so I had turned mine off, so I'm not sure if they did the same thing in TS3?
    @Camkat In ts3 the current moodlet icons can show up during a convo, like when my sim was doing her daily rounds of talking to her friends in the phone she had the icon of the repo man in her speech bubble because she had that moodlet. I thought it was kinda funny, why are you telling everyone you got your stuff taken because you forgot to pay your bills? XD I assume it is deeper than that in ts2 because the memories stay forever while in ts3 they disappear once the moodlet is gone, or that is how i think it worked at least.
    The competence level of TS2 sims is much higher, particularly the females. Have noticed throughout the series that female sim AI is better than male sim AI.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    The competence level of TS2 sims is much higher, particularly the females. Have noticed throughout the series that female sim AI is better than male sim AI.

Wow, that's a very interesting observation. I always assumed that both genders shared the same AI. Perhaps, I never paid enough attention to notice. Do you mind sharing your experience with this?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member

@Oldeseadogge that's strange. Do they use a different AI then?
    edited August 2020
    I always thought the male AI was better than the female AI in my TS2 game. Someone told me once they don't use any different AI for the genders, so, I had to just believe I was nuts. I don't know but males in my game always seemed smarter than the females. Just the opposite of what Oldesadogge said. lol

My examples are somewhat remote. For instance if a male Sim was sick in my game and I put them to bed to make sure they didn't catch the really dangerous flu, the female would always go try to relax on the same bed. Each and every time no matter which household if they were friends or lovers or married or whatever. That meant she would get sick, too. It never failed. However, if it was vice versa, the male I would have in the household never went to go relax on the bed if a sick Sim was in it or on it. Never. This happened so often in my game back when it was actually the current game, I made remarks about in on the old BBS, and was told no, they don't make a difference in the AI for male or female, but they couldn't explain any of that.

TS2, though smarter Sims with more things to talk about and do and or think about than other Sims, aren't that smart, either.

Example: David is in bed asleep, why do all adults go get a book out of the bookcase downstairs and want to read to David. Ever since they added that feature in a later EP it drove me crazy. Stop it. David is on his way out the door to go to school. Stop it, David is asleep. Stop it, David is in the shower, stop it, he is leaving to go with an adult or teen to a community lot. lol It was so annoying I wished they had not even added the want to read to the child in the home, because it is one of the worst things they did add in a later EP. But I can say by that time TS2 had been handed over to Redwood, and The Sims Studio, so yeah, I can see the differences in things added later and how annoying or not fleshed out things are in later EPs rather than compared to earlier EPs when the game was not being created by The Sims Studio in Redwood. ETA: And even the neater Sims who have gone to get a book to bring to David to read to him (no matter where he is or what he is doing) they put it down on the floor (sideways or turned upside down) and do not take it back to the bookcase as they would normally do. So, books everywhere because they were not smart enough to know hey, David is leaving the house to go to school or somewhere else and or is asleep. lol

ETA: Sorry for the long thread. However, unlike earlier coding after TS2 went to Redwood hands, things like that were a common thing, such as idles and or AI was no longer tied to a particular 'trait' and or personality point. Such as when they removed the primp self action and there was a huge backlash this was reserved for out going Sims only, but when they brought it back any Sim could do it. It was worthless then right? Because now any Sim can primp their way clean.

Also, they watered down sloppy Sims. All Sims clean up dishes when at one point only neater Sims would autonomously clean them up. I asked about that one and a Maxiod told me because so many were complaining about a bug with Seasons where none were cleaning up dishes and they were not clickable anymore, they fixed it by just having all Sims clean up dishes autonomously etc. instead of reserving that for neater Sims. I think that all changed with the 2nd Seasons' patch. About the time they decided no Sims shouldn't be fired but demoted...about the time TS Studio took over in 2007.
    One would think wanting to read to the children in home would be reserved for family Sims but it wasn't. So, it became very annoying when all adults would go get those books over and over. One would think wanting to relax on the bed possibly to be near the partner or romantic interest was reserved for a particular trait or personality point but it wasn't but it did seem in my game at least it was only females who did that if there was a sick Sim sleeping in that bed and or relaxing on the bed, but it wasn't . So, I can only think it was the female AI, and or Redwood, lol, who added or changed coding all willy nilly.

Post edited by Cinebar on

@Oldeseadogge that's strange. Do they use a different AI then?

Have found on a consistent basis since the game came out that female sims are much more likely to tend to their own needs once they get low while a male invariably goes to to a fun activity even if fun is maxed out. Maybe I'm lucky, but have not had the issues Cinebar reports. cant speak for the dishes as seldom, if ever have a sim with neatness lower than 4. Have had sims fired due to a failed chance card. Not often, but it's happened.
  • SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    I want to scream every time they eat on the couch or while standing up when there's a table just right there. Whenever I buy a computer or a swing is on the lot, everyone want to use it not matter what personality they have. S2 Sims get better after gaining some skills even if it's not perfect. Making Sims sit next to each other is also a struggle, especially when townies are there . Nope, they're more interested to play games with strangers than with their date.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited September 2020

My wife would say the same about me...that her IQ is higher than mine. I tend to agree with her.

Me: "Honey...what's there to eat?"
    Wife: "Why don't you go make something for yourself?"
    Me: "I'm doing something... (fun...like playing Sims)"
    Wife: ~frustrated growl~

Yes, even at 50. :mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    I want to scream every time they eat on the couch or while standing up when there's a table just right there. Whenever I buy a computer or a swing is on the lot, everyone want to use it not matter what personality they have. S2 Sims get better after gaining some skills even if it's not perfect. Making Sims sit next to each other is also a struggle, especially when townies are there . Nope, they're more interested to play games with strangers than with their date.

I have to agree with this, dating in TS4 is the worst ever. TS1 was really, really hard when out on a date in that game. But to watch TS4 Sims spend their time doing other things and the player having to fight the game to interact with their Sim date is so annoying. Even as much as I complained about TS3's dating (all of a sudden you were on a date, lol) it was a little better than TS4. Unlike TS2's system that if you fill one wish for the other Sim and one for your own it all works out very well. I can't imagine going on a date and doing something ten times in a row, like in TS4 but I'm getting off the subject.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    The smartest Sim(s) I ever saw were in TS2, one of my Sims and her best friend. My Sim was getting married, but the groom was missing. I saw her say something to her best friend and then the friend ran off to go somewhere. I followed her and saw her looking around as if searching for something. Finally she looked inside a window of the reception hall. She gasped and immediately turned around to run back to my Sim and tell her what she saw. The two of them ran together back to the reception hall and went straight inside to where the groom was making out with another female Sim on a couch.

The groom jumped up and stood staring at my Sim. My Sim walked up to him and slapped his face. They argued with the other female sitting on the couch smirking the whole time. My Sim broke up with him and left the building to go cry on a bench. What did the groom do? He sat down on the couch and began making out with the female again.

The groom was Don Lothario.

Now, the fact my Sim was trying to marry him wasn't very smart given his reputation, but he'd been a very loving and attentive boyfriend up to this point and had agreed to marry her. But, I thought it was very smart how she obviously told her best friend to go look for him and that the bf didn't let herself be seen by Don before going back to tell my Sim what she had seen so the two of them could go catch him in the act of cheating. This all happened with no direction on my part, totally autonomous.
    The mark of a well done game! This level should be the norm, not the heavily worked for exception.
  • notthatbellagothnotthatbellagoth Posts: 20 Member
    I tend to try to hit auto-resolve on needs a lot just to check the flow of lots when I'm playtesting them and hitting auto-resolve on the social need tends to be wildly amusing because their first instinct for interactions is so trait and mood based. So many autonomous mischief fails that sometimes become flirting????? I have found the group rules from get together can work wonders here with NPCs (at least on community lots) in making them stay together, interact, and take care of needs (if you're judicious with the activities you pick, like reserving a slot for eating or drinking.)
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited October 2020
    4hyf1k.jpg
    Still looking...haven't found one yet.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited October 2020
    Sorry, havent yet seen single of them
    Cinebar wrote: »
    calaprfy wrote: »

LOL, yes, one of my Sims got tense often because when left alone to his own devices he always chose something else to do rather than go outside. He could have read outside, (perfect bench outside his door) he could have went out to talk to the Sims hanging near his house, he could have went out to fish, pond was very close, he could have used any of the stuff placed outside, but he chose to stay in and get tense.

Maybe Sims 4 and Sims 3 sims has different understanding of word 'Smart'

My outdoor sims in sims 3 is always eating in the backyard except when it's raining.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    I play mostly the Sims 2 and Sims 4, I don't really play Sims 3 because my computer can't really handle it.
    For "smarter sims" I think they are using superficial things. Sims 2 Sims were kind of dumb when they encountered a fire, but they were still smart enough to get the toddlers to safety, and then run to the fire. Sims 4 sims kind of do the same thing, but they use a fire extinguisher to put the fire out. Sometimes in the Sims 2 they will complain about things being in the way, but so will the Sims in the Sims 4, so the AI isn't that much different from each other. One thing Sims 2 could be called dumb on is the pool thing when ladders were taken away, and they couldn't get out.
    So, EA saying Sims 4 Sims are smarter than the Sims before is kind of wrong. Also, to me Sims 2 Sims felt more alive, because half the things they did was pretty hilarious, and fit the personality you gave them.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Haven't played TS/TS2 in a very long time so don't really remember. TS3 I play frequently enough to have observed just how complex and realistic the Sim A.I. is to imitating human behavior.

Playing TS3 is like swimming. Some only swim on the surface never truly exploring and seeing all there is to see, while some delves deep to really see this game for what it really is. There's a reason why TS3 A.I. is praised by many including me. For those who know how to read people that skill also transfers to Sims as well. As long as you know your Sims lives and what happens to them and understanding human emotion and the psychology behind why humans do what they do, then you have the key to unlocking the deeper and mature gameplay.

This is why I describe The Sims 3 like an interactive soap opera. The Sims tell their own stories, live their own lives and personally my role as director is to guide them through life as best as I can. Through good times, heartbreaks and hardships, all of it.

Anyway, here's an example of what I observe in my game. By the way, I play with high free-will, no story progression and do not micromanage, thus, allowing me to truly see what the A.I. is capable of without my constant intervention. This way, my Sims reveal so much about themselves too. There's so much unscripted stuff the A.I. does if you pay attention.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/comment/17298219#Comment_17298219

There are so many things in this game that are hidden, as in, not mentioned as a feature or does not appear a part of the U.I. Or sometimes things that got buried in the early interviews of TS3 like Sims being able to take notice of other Sims when they wear something revealing or liking their body because they actually have awareness of other Sims and their environment. I have this one Sim who loved kept looking at his friend's behind, lol. And no there wasn't anything or a pet on the floor that he could have been looking at because I checked. And some Sims like breast.
    Screenshot-140.jpg
    Screenshot-2689.jpg
    Screenshot-2692.jpg
    Screenshot-4336.jpg
    Screenshot-4339.jpg

It's good to know the relationship dynamics between Sims as well because that's very revealing too. Though that can be tough to get the whole picture of a household if you rotate with a lot of families but rotating is great because you fill in more pieces of the puzzle through the perspective of other Sims and how their stories intertwine.

Unscripted facial expressions, body language, actions and reactions, etc are also dead giveaways to how Sims are feeling or trying to communicate with the player. Yes, I notice the Sims A.I. can communicate and also have an opinion on how I am guiding them through life. Which is why sometimes they refuse to listen to me when I insist on telling them to do something they do not want. And sometimes will even give me an annoyed facial expression after they keep intentionally dropping whatever it is from their queue and do whatever they want. But that happens every once and a while as I try to direct them according to their personality, what they want and not necessarily what I envision.
    Screenshot-1702.jpg
    Screenshot-1710.jpg
    Screenshot-846.jpg
    Screenshot-275.jpg
    Screenshot-460.jpg
    Screenshot-3422.jpg
    Screenshot-3021.jpg
    Screenshot-1812.jpg
    Screenshot-5081.jpg
    Screenshot-5082.jpg
    Screenshot-2851.jpg
    Screenshot-6.jpg
    Screenshot-663.jpg
    Screenshot-4191.jpg
    Screenshot-2837.jpg
    Screenshot-978.jpg

The great thing about TS3 A.I. and A.I. driven stories is that I never get bored. It's a dynamic game and never static. There's always something new I'm learning, even after 11+ years. Personally one of my favorite games. :p
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited January 2021
    My sims are idiots. They just stand there and smile creepily until their hunger kills them.

Wow the censor really??? Its not even a curse word? Rhymes with kidiot s.m.h
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.