Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Never used Mods - Should I take the plunge and start???

Hi all! I’m looking for a bit of advice from experienced mod players.

I’m a long time simmer (since I was in grade school ) and I’ve owned all the versions of the game (Sims 1 - Sims 4) but I have never used Mods before! I’ve always been anxious about them breaking the game and I’m not that tech savvy so I was worried I wouldn’t be able to fix a problem if it occurred. But I’ve seen some really interesting Mods that I think would really improve the game so I’m super tempted. Specifically I want to install “slide of life” - it looks like it will really help make deeper characters, which is a little lacking in the vanilla version.

So, should I take the risk? Any advise to avoid tech issues? Is there anyone else that is anxious about installing Mods and also needs some reassurance that it will all be ok?

Thanks! Xo
Just keep simming

Comments

• DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I've personally never been afraid of using mods or them breaking my game, so I've used them ever since the first game. I never had any problems with mods breaking the game either. I think it's more a case of going to trustworthy websites, doing your research and making sure different mods don't conflict with each other so everything works as it should. The Sims 4 is a pain to download a lot of mods for though since you need to redownload almost all of them after every single patch. I do it anyway because I don't want to play the game without.

Mods aren't as scary as you might think and Slice of Life is very safe. I've been enjoying it myself for a while now. 😊
  • LumpinouLumpinou Posts: 29 Member
    There are a few rules to follow for a safe experience with mods, but if you do, you don't generally encounter issues :)

1. Be careful with game updates - anytime the game gets updated, it'll turn off mods. Leave them off until creator's have confirmed that they are compatible. If you use mods, you have to kind of keep yourself in the loop regarding game updates and mods.

2. Be careful to install them properly. It's pretty easy. Script files can't be deeper than one subfolder in your mod folder, package files can go in more subfolders. So you can organize your Mods folder keeping that in mind.

3. Read all the notes the creators write in the mod descriptions! I know nobody wants to do that, and I have to force myself to do it sometimes even though I know how important it is... About three thirds of the help requests I get from users of my mods concern stuff that they would know about had they carefully read my long and precise descriptions... Like the fact that the interactions in my mod "Contextual Social Interactions" appear only when, well, when contextually relevant. 😂 I don't blame them, I do the same or have the same tendency - but in case of an issue, or a doubt, go back to the mod description! Chances are you'll find info there. If you don't, you'll find contact info to reach the creator or whomever does mod support for them :)

4. Backup your saves! I do that often because I'm scared of my computer dying or something and losing my files - but mod users need to do this from time to time. It takes 30 seconds, go to your documents, electronic arts, Sims 4, and copy the '' tray '' and '' saves'' folders to somewhere else. That's your backup :)

5. There's lots of tutorials / videos / etc out there about installing mods, look at it and you'll see it's not that scary.

I've used mods since Sims 2 and never had issues. I since recently also make mods and when in the process of creating them I sometimes make mistakes that give the game errors, which I subsequently fix of course - we all miswrite a piece of code at some point haha - but even so, my game never ever crashed. Just told me 'hey, your code got an error right there, go fix it', and moved on with its life. Most mods are really safe to use, and the game is pretty strong in its ability to not crash for just any reason. Be more wary of script heavy mods I would say, they tend to cause more noticeable issues (but some people will tel you they're also the best mods; for example most people love MCCC but also occasionally get errors from it because it's so complex and whatnot, but even though it's still fine and safe to use).

Make sure you get your mods from creator's that are still active and I would say also who have support systems or platforms in place... Many many modder's have discord servers, Tumblr, Patreon etc on which they're active; the discord servers I especially recommend because you can get direct help from there.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. I think mods are fun and to me they're worth the installing and re installing when updates are out.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I think starting to use mods is a slippery slope. I've read on here about simmers adding mod after mod seeking the perfect game. Trouble is, perfection does not exist.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    @calaprfy Maybe not. But mods can make the game more fun for someone. I think most people realise that mods can't entirely fix what they're looking for.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Mods are awesome. You can make your game almost anything you want it to be. I’ve never regretted mods for a minute. If worst comes to worst, and somehow your game gets torched, you can always pull your mods out, reinstall your game through Origin, and start over. Nothing has to be permanent unless you wait to be.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I can't imagine my life without mods and cc don't be afraid. What you should know is that for some people it can get addictive (me lol) and you download cc or mod after mod. Not to make the game perfect but just because it's so much fun.

The problem that comes with that is keeping up with outdated mods,updating, removing broken cc or duplicates. I don't mind at all but if it's something you do not enjoy stick to a few basic mods or custom content that you really want. Don't go crazy like I did and you should have no problem maintaining a few.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Aloe2828Aloe2828 Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks for the advise everyone!!! I’m thinking just a few mod to start to avoid having too much to keep up with ☺️Might start with slice of life
    Just keep simming
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    edited August 2020
    Aloe2828 wrote: »
    Hi all! I’m looking for a bit of advice from experienced mod players.

I’m a long time simmer (since I was in grade school ) and I’ve owned all the versions of the game (Sims 1 - Sims 4) but I have never used Mods before! I’ve always been anxious about them breaking the game and I’m not that tech savvy so I was worried I wouldn’t be able to fix a problem if it occurred. But I’ve seen some really interesting Mods that I think would really improve the game so I’m super tempted. Specifically I want to install “slide of life” - it looks like it will really help make deeper characters, which is a little lacking in the vanilla version.

So, should I take the risk? Any advise to avoid tech issues? Is there anyone else that is anxious about installing Mods and also needs some reassurance that it will all be ok?

Thanks! Xo

I started Simming with Sims2 and was totally frightened of Boolprop, so I have a sense of where you're at. I quickly got over my fear of mods with Sims3. It was so buggy and unstable that it made my gameplay a nightmare. I really loved Showtime and my one Sim could finally fulfill his dream of becoming a Rock Star. Long story short, he finally found the Sim of his dreams and he took his bride to WA for an exotic honeymoon. Once the honeymoon was over, however, suddenly, I couldn't bring the couple back. I was in a panic. Twallen, himself, posted on my thread about my woes. With his encouragement, I installed his Traveler Mod. Got my singer Sim and his wife back. Yay. After that I went to his NRaas, Industries site and installed many, many, more mods. About 20, in all. Mostly, just to stabilize the game, but also some that allow me to slow game time so that my singer wasn't habitually late to his own concerts. Plus, the Story Progression was far better than the Sims3 version.

Suffice it to say I got enough experience under my belt to keep this Granny (who also isn't very tech-savvy) from being afraid of mods anymore.

Currently, I use MCCC; Road to Fame; Slice of Life; 21-day Seasons; Showtime, (also by KS); Mortem; Private Practice; and Organic.

Just follow the instructions and give a mod a spin. Make sure you choose one that is current and supported, however. Any one of the ones I listed I would recommend.

ETA: Forgot SNB from SimsRealism
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I think starting to use mods is a slippery slope. I've read on here about simmers adding mod after mod seeking the perfect game. Trouble is, perfection does not exist.

Not seeking a perfect game, but these mods add something that's definitely 'missing'.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/