Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

60smusicluvr's Rockin' Creations: Brooklyn Brownstones 8/5/20

1111213141517...Next

Comments

• 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    Thank you so much @rosemow. I kind of missed telling my "stories." :D

@soocoolsim, yes! I love industrial! :heart_eyes:

@aricarai, your moo'd arch idea is a game changer. No joke! Thank you so much for letting me steal! :smirk:

@romagi1, :D I'm glad. I've always loved Twinbrook, but the lot design isn't really what I had in mind for that location. Still, I like the apartment itself very much.

@Sandraelle, Woot! B) Savannah Georgia homes are beautiful. I definitely took the exterior and made it look quite different with the dark colors, though. :D
    edited July 2020
    The struggle with trying to create lifelike buildings in the sims can, sometimes, be challenging. The flatness of the exterior of a home in sims 3 often frustrates me. I can't say enough how much those arches have been a game changer for me. So, in this WIP I've taken that idea and expanded on it.

I've been wanting to create New York City style townhouses for sooo long. These are my brownstones.

I started out with a flat lot and knew I needed to create a new level foundation that would be high enough for the classic stair to the front door and far enough from the edge of the lot I could place them relatively easily. Using @aricarai's moo idea, I used a couple different archways on the first and third floors. Then, I expanded on that idea and moo'd shelving on select windows.
    v9d1Jlj.jpg

I got a lot of inspiration from this series of videos 1 - 6. One of the things that she acknowledged frustrated her was that the stairs to the basement level were too steep. By building up the foundation on my lot, I figured I could successfully add the basement level by CFE. I just needed to drop the stairs down one level from the ground. Now, instead of having four apartments, we have eight. :mrgreen:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tnv-8KOom0

Now, the doors and windows from the basement level are easy enough to view, just as it would be in New York.
    6GXdskO.jpg

I used floor tile on the edges of the lot to create a somewhat realistic sidewalk. Half walls on the basement level slope could easily work as a retaining wall and then I just filled the middle part with bushes. I would have preferred taller trees, but the ones in game covered too much of the lot in my opinion, so I picked the ornamental trees, instead.
    u53qcHv.jpg

I added fire escapes that mirror each other on both sides of the lot.
    6DL9vFy.jpg

Using the same idea from the video series above, I extended the basement level to create a back patio.
    yxCbdx8.jpg
    NLllR2m.jpg

I loved the brick color I was using already, but after placing 'buy debug' lights on each level, with the lights on it was too bright. So, unfortunately I had to let it go. I darkened the pattern a smidge. Lighting will vary depending on lot placement/direction.

W/ Lights on
    4rkKAX9.jpg

W/ Lights off
    ekUXyGA.jpg

Night Lights
    tCtqJSB.jpg
    CyXgAA6.jpg

Street View
    y0Fk4j4.jpg
    FmehHj8.jpg
    MyAqYZv.jpg

So, that's my WIP. I'm excited about getting this one on the exchange, but need to first determine how many apartments I'm up to furnishing. I'll definitely leave most of them blank for customization. :smiley:
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Your WIP brownstones is very nice! :) The design and color is great! The trees you chose to use are very nice.I hope your furnishings of the interior apartments goes well :)
    Thank you, @rosemow. Fortunately, I have plenty of space to work with. Right now, I'm thinking very nice wood molding and tile floors.
    @ciane, haha! Me, too. I was so excited about how well it turned out, I was up all night. I had to cut myself off at 3am. :D
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    edited July 2020
    Your Brownstone looks FANTASTIC !!!
    The architectural details using MOO and CFE really make this build feel realistic. Love the color of the brick, too.
    Thank you, @ADWilson. I don't think I could have pulled this off a year ago. I didn't think I could pull it off this time, either, but things just sort of fell into place. :blush:
  • SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    @60smusicluvr , your brownstone apartments look really awesome! It looks very realistic and authentic, great work so far and thanks for sharing!
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member

Echoing what everyone already said. Love your brownstone apartments. I didn’t realize you could remove the floor tiles from arches. Such a clever idea I will need to learn how to do. Looking forward to seeing more WIPs 🌸
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    @60smusicluvr It's amazing! Totally in awe of it. :o
    edited July 2020
    @Sandraelle, I couldn't wait to share it. I was so happy. :D

@soocoolsim, neither did I! See, we're still learning about this game 11 years later. :o Maybe the floor tiles are only stuck with regular doors?

@SamelaRita, thank you! <3

Because the lighting varies between lot placement/direction, I wanted to test out the recolors in Sunset Valley. All was good so I've moved on to wall layouts (same for each apartment) and have the first couple rooms of the left apartment done.

Sunset Valley w/ lights off
    jShntPK.jpg
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,903 Member
    Here catching up on your wonderful creations, top notch as always! <3
    The Brooklyn Brownstones are here! Yippee!
    2Hmonbj.jpg

Since I've already shared the outside with you guys, let's head on in . . .
    I imagined whoever lived on this block would have a ton of money. All the upper level homes have a staircase greeting them at the front door and a beautiful ceiling that allows sims to see all three floors. These are ideal for 1-4 sims.

For the first home I decorated, I used a lot of stone. It's mostly a mixture of silver/white/grey/green.
    08q12xD.jpg

For the second home, I imagined whoever lived here would want to keep the finishings of the original townhouse and then add their furniture and decor, so there's some built ins.

fuciq3t.jpg

The next two houses I kept empty for customization. Use 'restrictbuildbuyinbbuildings false' and 'buydebug on' in order to remove the hidden room markers. Some of the rooms I couldn't officially hide due to issues with the archways moo'd into the windows and the moo'd windows I used with a wall, so I blackened those out with flooring and paint, along with the doors and windows to those rooms.

On the lower level we have homes ideal for 1-2 sims each.

I decorated the first two. The first is for a preppy sim, I guess, and the second was made to look like Bohemian rock.

IvhpIAm.jpg

9YkR9QB.jpg

The kitchens

bsTTLdG.jpg
    DEYkQ7B.jpg
    SOw7PSU.jpg
    tWjgwMG.jpg

Living of the first two

0zHj76n.jpg
    8HdKjQP.jpg

YYmaka0.jpg

Dining

nfixJrg.jpg

lZQPsze.jpg

EKrfuUz.jpg

0dMWwAZ.jpg

Bathrooms

LmKkEuO.jpg

ewNmBTf.jpg

J6mn2pf.jpg

N6jj9po.jpg

Bedrooms

S7AYjRv.jpg
    6wI2rkx.jpg
    xyrWLTd.jpg
    M8OeKcs.jpg
    wEjpj6n.jpg

eOKS1Y9.jpg
    GXFGkeR.jpg
    YJM37ZR.jpg

uqeoegy.jpg

xtkb8OL.jpg

Recreation room

7Fobs1M.jpg

Rx75gkY.jpg

Back Patio

ZgDqctq.jpg

yBKdbFE.jpg

Layout

Go32pXl.jpg
    Q5SSqyJ.jpg
    VAZVgsK.jpg
    NSnKq5p.jpg

Nightlights

RUyfuMh.jpg

nHblkFf.jpg

I thought it might be interesting to see it with different lighting, since I don't care for the grayish look in Bridgeport. :confused: So, here it is with Burnt Waffles Dream Dimension. :dizzy: It changed the color of the whole building. :lol:

TECWp6K.jpg
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    It is great that you have finished the Brooklyn Brownstones! :) The furnishing, design and layout of the interior of each home is very lovely! The colours, wall textures and furnishings used for each one are very nice! The staircases at the front doors look great!
  • romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    The Brooklyn Brownstones exterior and layout look Fabulous! My fav are the original woodwork and the Bohemian.
    @rosemow @romagi1, thanks so much ladies. I had a great time making this one, minus the time it took me to find a wall layout in the basement level that I actually liked and made sense. :D The staircases at the front doors are always classy and I also love the bohemian design. :)
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @60smusicluvr Really love both of your recent builds - the Birds and the Bees and the Brownstones. Great architecture all around and fun interiors. The arches over the windows is a really interesting idea. I'm definitely going to keep these in mind when I have the right world going. Nice apartments and townhouses always seem hard to find, and these will go a long way to solving that problem for me.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member

Wonderful build @60smusicluvr . Such interesting architecture on the exterior and so well detailed on the interior. To my surprise, I actually like the lower apartment for the preppy sims the best even though I typically gravitate to neutrals. The blue just adds a lovely pop of colour to brighten my day. Mind you the other apartments are great as well and I totally love the green tiled bathroom. I also like the wood accent around the tub area in the cream bathroom. Really interesting rug in the Bohemian living room. The lucky sims who move into any of these apartments will love their new home. Well done!
    @suszes. Thanks so much. I enjoy making them and its not too hard once I've got the first portion of the exterior all sorted out the way I like and copy it over to the next one and then the next. :)

@soocoolsim, thanks so much. Yes, that was the third one I furnished. I was looking for something that would be quite different from the first two. Blue hadn't been used yet. The green tiled bathroom is my favorite. :heart: Ah, yes. I love that pattern. I don't think I've ever found any use for it, but it worked so well on the rug, it really tied everything together, when I couldn't decide what to do with that house. Bohemian clicked from that point on.
  • SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    @60smusicluvr , Wow, your Brownstone townhouse interiors turned out just as fabulous as the exteriors. Each townhome is so different from the other, but all look wonderful. You did a fantastic job on building and decorating these. The preppy one turned out really cute and very different from the others, but I love them all! :)
    @Sandraelle, thank you for your lovely comments. <3 This was a fun build all around. The interiors are quite different than what I would normally gravitate toward, but I wanted them all to have their own unique personalities.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @60smusicluvr

I am just dropping by to catch up with your lovely builds which are now all downloaded and rec :)
    Oh, just making sure I'm not locked out of my own thread. Could update for sure! ;)