Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5: Spec Requirements - That Fine Balance Between Cutting Edge and Potato Computers

*Sigh!* Well, my ancient computer from 2014 finally died. I wanted to buy a new one when one of the new sims games is announced and then buy a computer that will far exceed its minimum requirements to accommodate all the future packs. But now I have to buy one sooner. So now I have to speculate what those requirements for TS5 might be.

I'm thinking that if TS5 is going to be built on the Unreal Engine 4, then minimum specs would be 8gb RAM and maybe 4gb VRAM? I want to buy a gaming laptop with 32gb RAM and 8gb VRAM with 1tb SSD but it would be great if EAxis post the anticipated specs for it now so I can adjust for that. Please EAxis?

I'm thinking of getting an MSI model:

What do you guys think or hope the recommended specs will be? I personally want it to be more towards cutting edge like TS3 and TS2 during their runs. Because those iterations were so forward thinking, the devs were able to pack them with SO MANY fun and useful gameplay features so that even to this day, people are STILL buying TS3 or wanting to buy TS2. Either way, many people are still playing those games even now and still discovering features or finding new ways to use them for whole new gameplay. What's more, people are STILL creating new worlds for those iterations.

I definitely want TS5 to have that level of customization not only of creating new worlds or customizing content, but customization of gameplay as well like TS3, so it would definitely need higher requirements, that's why I'm thinking the minimum requirements might be 8gb RAM and 4gb VRAM if made with the Unreal Engine 4.

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited August 2020
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    There are also rumors that EA plan to add advertising in all their games.

If it's done in an unobtrusive way then I don't mind. For example, in TS2 and TS3 your sims can play other EA games on their computers and laptops which I think was a cute and clever way of advertising. There were also posters of EA games you can use to decorate your structures. I think it would okay if there were commercials on the sims' TVs of EA games - or that they can even watch Spark'd or EAplay on them, lol!

Advertising should be clever and not "in your face."

Don't waste your time with a computer, just subscribe to Shadow Cloud PC service, it's upgraded automatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MykQRknKU6U

It looks like it can update your working computer's software and drivers but your computer would still need good hardware. Or are they going to come over to your house and update the hardware too? You can't download updated hardware, lol! Plus it actually needs a working computer, something which my current isn't, may she rest in peace.... :'(

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited August 2020
    Sorry to put this info here, it was off-topic
    They are talking about something like UFC3 TV ads

im-21210.png

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited August 2020
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Unreal-Engine-200/Hardware-Recommendations

Sorry to hear about your computer. Hope you're back to playing soon.

ETA: I think the info above is for developing on Unreal but if you can develop then you can play, right?
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    Before buying tthis cloud service,you should check all the pros and cons of this service. Would you need to buy a server for this? How many people are happy or unhappy with his service? What does the Better Business Bureau rate this service? How much would you have to pay for a monthly subscription?

Doing your research is important before buying something.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    Don't bother with a cloud service. Absolutely useless.

Also, I would get a desktop over a laptop. They have longer lifespans and can be upgraded easier.
    @ClarionOfJoy

Just it's streaming, you need a good internet connection, nothing else.
    Before buying tthis cloud service,you should check all the pros and cons of this service. Would you need to buy a server for this? How many people are happy or unhappy with his service? What does the Better Business Bureau rate this service? How much would you have to pay for a monthly subscription?

Doing your research is important before buying something.

I did look into the service more and it does sound amazing, but I would still want a computer to play my games. Playing Borderlands on my tablet would be difficult as I am a mouse n' keyboard type of gamer. But, you know, this would be great to play all the point and click adventure games and RPGs I have! I don't like my internet service in the States because it can be inconsistent at times though. It's actually better where I am right now but we get frequent blackouts/brownouts. I also read that it takes a bit of waiting for the service to be activated. Plus with being overseas, I'm wondering if it's available here.

I agree with @Lady_Ballora - I would need to look into this some more and see how other subscribers like it in the various areas that it is already available and where it will open up, but it really looks like something I'd sign up for.

Sorry to put this info here, it was off-topic
    They are talking about something like UFC3 TV ads

im-21210.png

How do they want to do this? I wouldn't want the ad popping up while I'm playing the game - If I already bought the game, then I don't want any ads just popping up interrupting the flow of the gameplay. I would hope they would show those ads in the sims' TVs or community billboards. That's the only way I would find that acceptable.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Unreal-Engine-200/Hardware-Recommendations

Sorry to hear about your computer. Hope you're back to playing soon.

ETA: I think the info above is for developing on Unreal but if you can develop then you can play, right?

Thank you so much for this link! It's still very helpful because it explains why they recommend a certain hardware type and brands.Those are the brands I was looking at in the first place, but wasn't sure what each model number meant!

NoTalent wrote: »
    Don't bother with a cloud service. Absolutely useless.

Also, I would get a desktop over a laptop. They have longer lifespans and can be upgraded easier.

I do agree that desktops are way better than laptops, but I travel a lot. :(

• Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    I game on Laptops and havent had much lag at all.So i disagree that desktops perform better always. Anyways, ive had an MSI. And my next laptop will be MSI again. Im going for one of the RTX cards because I dont want to buy another laptop after that for 7-8 years.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I hope the next game won't be too heavy. I'm looking to upgrade my laptop right now (PCs are not an option for me) and I plan to buy a good laptop but the only PC game I play is the Sims so I'm not gonna be spending thousands on the best gaming computer for one game. I'm hoping it'll be something that works on most modern computers, I can cope with lower graphics it doesn't bother me
  • Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    edited August 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    I hope the next game won't be too heavy. I'm looking to upgrade my laptop right now (PCs are not an option for me) and I plan to buy a good laptop but the only PC game I play is the Sims so I'm not gonna be spending thousands on the best gaming computer for one game. I'm hoping it'll be something that works on most modern computers, I can cope with lower graphics it doesn't bother me

I really hope Sims 5 does NOT run on most modern (non gaming) computers. Sorry. I mean, i have a modern good enough (for sims) GAMING laptop. And I cant play Planet Zoo (a game im really interested in :D ), because the graphics for that game are SO amazing. And its a demanding game. I hope Sims 5 has mindblowing, next gen (or close to it) graphics and physics. And open world.And create-a-style.
    I game on Laptops and havent had much lag at all.So i disagree that desktops perform better always. Anyways, ive had an MSI. And my next laptop will be MSI again. Im going for one of the RTX cards because I dont want to buy another laptop after that for 7-8 years.

Yeah I heard great reviews for both of MSI's laptops and desktops, that's why I'm choosing an MSI laptop as my next computer! Maybe when I settle down more in maybe three or four years, I'll buy one of their desktops then.

I really hope Sims 5 does NOT run on most modern (non gaming) computers. Sorry. I mean, i have a modern good enough (for sims) GAMING laptop. And I cant play Planet Zoo (a game im really interested in :D ), because the graphics for that game are SO amazing. And its a demanding game. I hope Sims 5 has mindblowing, next gen (or close to it) graphics and physics. And open world.And create-a-style.

I'm pretty sure that the specs will reflect the majority of what customers have. If the game will be made with the Unreal Engine 4, then it will be scalable to accommodate both gaming and non-gaming computers.

My old computer, which had 4gb RAM and integrated graphics card would not be able to run it though and that's perfectly fine with me as I needed to get a new one anyway. I'm only getting a more expensive gaming laptop because I do play other games.

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

Does computers cost over 1,000 dollars.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited August 2020
    If you want to really invest in a good system that you are going to have for a long time I would suggest doing some research on graphics cards and processors. They are the most important component when it comes to gaming, especially next generation gaming.

Personally, judging by what the Sims games have delivered in the past graphically, I would say a graphics card better than a gtx 1060 6gb is going to deliver good enough graphics (though we know nothing about the minimum requirements of the game yet).

The proccessor is a very important component when you are playing Sims games so I would suggest you go for a very modern one if you want the best possible performance once the Sims 5 comes out. It's difficult to tell you which one to aim for exactly but you can do some research online and use the benchmark tool to see how certain processors perform compared to others.
    The 32gbs of RAM are great, I would stick to that. It is important to remember that no matter how much RAM you have, when you are gaming the proccessor and graphics card need to be able to keep up, if they can't then you won't get the performance you might want

Now finding specs like these in a laptop can be very expensive and laptops tend to overheat under pressure depending on the game. If you are looking for high specs for a lower price a computer is definitely a better choice. For refrence I got a computer recently for 699€ that has pretty good specs. To find those same specs in a laptop I would have to pay more than 1000€ at least where I live.
    If you still think you absolutely need to have a laptop and you have no problem paying a bit more then that's fine, but I just wanted to mention the computer option as well.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020

They can just add graphics options in settings like past games and then everyone's happy. You get the amazing graphics if you have the best computers and players who have mid range computers can still enjoy the game. Win win situation and nobody's excluded.

I get where you're coming from because the Sims 4 being made to work on potato laptops is ridiculous, but $600+ modern PCs are not that bad and should be able to run the game fine on lower graphics settings. The game should be for mid range computers and above, not for potato computers
  • SinnerAndASimmerSinnerAndASimmer Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Onverser said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They can just add graphics options in settings like past games and then everyone's happy. You get the amazing graphics if you have the best computers and players who have mid range computers can still enjoy the game. Win win situation and nobody's excluded.
    >
    > I get where you're coming from because the Sims 4 being made to work on potato laptops is ridiculous, but $600+ modern PCs are not that bad and should be able to run the game fine on lower graphics settings. The game should be for mid range computers and above, not for potato computers

I agree, offering multiple graphics options offers a balance between accessibility and quality
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    > @Onverser said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They can just add graphics options in settings like past games and then everyone's happy. You get the amazing graphics if you have the best computers and players who have mid range computers can still enjoy the game. Win win situation and nobody's excluded.
    >
    > I get where you're coming from because the Sims 4 being made to work on potato laptops is ridiculous, but $600+ modern PCs are not that bad and should be able to run the game fine on lower graphics settings. The game should be for mid range computers and above, not for potato computers

I agree, offering multiple graphics options offers a balance between accessibility and quality

But if they make it mid range and above, they will miss out on a lot of sales. I bought a potato laptop to play the sims 4, and It worked just fine for the first couple of years. I had everything that came before city living on it, and it did fine till toddlers come out.
    After, I did invest in a good asus laptop with air vents on the side, a 1070 graphics card and I think 16gb memory. And it was not cheap, I’m hoping it will work fine for the sims 5 for the first few years. But like I said.... they will lose money if they make the requirements too high to start. And I just can’t see EA passing up money like that....
  • Sakia90Sakia90 Posts: 46 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    > @Onverser said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >

But if they make it mid range and above, they will miss out on a lot of sales. I bought a potato laptop to play the sims 4, and It worked just fine for the first couple of years. I had everything that came before city living on it, and it did fine till toddlers come out.
    After, I did invest in a good asus laptop with air vents on the side, a 1070 graphics card and I think 16gb memory. And it was not cheap, I’m hoping it will work fine for the sims 5 for the first few years. But like I said.... they will lose money if they make the requirements too high to start. And I just can’t see EA passing up money like that....

Mid range and up is good. I want the franchise to improve, not go backwards like Sims 4 did. Also a lot of companies lose out on people who play on toasters, doesn't stop them from making games more advanced or selling millions, including EA. Technology is forever advancing and I'm sure in the next Sims game they will take better advantage of modern tech (and hopefully optimize it).
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    If they make it very high graphics, I hope it’s on console as well, like other AAA games that have intense graphics for their own PC versions...
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • BuildingTheSimsBuildingTheSims Posts: 92 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    > @Onverser said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >

Why is this logic only applied to the sims games? Tons of other games have high requirements and dont lose money. Besides sims isnt their only revenue anyway.