Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teen not performing well at school

I haven't worked out how to improve my teen's performance at school. The principal keeps ringing to say her performance is "shaky", but I tried to send her to the computer and see if there was a "study" or "homework" option or something similar, but I didn't find anything like that. I've also tried having her just read random books.

What are your tips? And how bad an outcome do they really have if they continue to perform poorly at school?

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited August 2020
    Have her do her homework everyday and do her school projects if she has any (if you have Parenthood that is). Also when she’s at school you can click “work hard” (You click the little arrow on her icon at the bottom of your screen, a menu will pop up and you can chose for her to work hard, do nothing etc) , she’ll be more tired but it will improve her performance.

Also I actually saw a “do research for homework” interaction on my teen sim’s computer. Haven’t clicked it though, but I didn’t even know there was one.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Since you don't mention your sim doing their regular homework, I have to ask, do they even have the correct homework in their inventory? There is grade school homework for children and (high school) homework for teens. These are different objects, which can both be purchased via the bookshelf, if they are missing. The homework book for high school should appear in the inventory when they age up, but there could have been a bug or they left it somewhere.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    My sims sometimes lose their homework book. They leave it on a table at another sim’s house, stuff like that and I have to buy another one.
    Since you don't mention your sim doing their regular homework, I have to ask, do they even have the correct homework in their inventory? There is grade school homework for children and (high school) homework for teens. These are different objects, which can both be purchased via the bookshelf, if they are missing. The homework book for high school should appear in the inventory when they age up, but there could have been a bug or they left it somewhere.

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    I have noticed that some of my teen sims finish their homework way faster than their sister/brother. I'm not sure if that's related to their logic skill or traits.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited August 2020
    Having all straight A Sims and Sims with Distinguished degrees with honors, here's a few tips. I have all the packs so I am not sure which things came with what but, if possible, make sure you home is set to have the Good Schools trait.

I haven't found that any trait or aspiration is that much better than the others so I don't have any input into that. But, work on the child's aspirations and leveling their skills while at all stages. Each stage has a unique set of skills they can complete and aspirations can be switched anytime to complete them based on what the sim is doing. I complete all aspirations and level up all skills before I age them up to teen. This gives you a head start on aspiration points. (A sim in college with the Savant trait is bound to do well.)

Complete homework every day. This is done by clicking on the homework book in their inventory, yellow for grade school, blue for high school. If you can't find it, purchase one through the bookshelf. Once they have started doing homework, select a parent and click "Help with homework" if available.

About once a week, they will get a project to work on. It looks like an open box in their inventory. Drag it out to an available spot on the floor. With child selected, click on the box and select "Begin Working Carefully." Once child is working on the project, select a parent and click Assist with Project." All sims in the house can help with the project at once. It makes for great screen shots. Also, the projects allow everyone who is working on it to level their own skills as well, rocket science, logic etc.

Don't miss school unless you take a vacation day. Make sure the go to school with a positive mood, at least happy.

I have had great success NOT using the work hard option because it annihilates their Fun bar. However, if you have University and you send them to college, it is a must to use the similar option, Actively Listen and Take Notes. Otherwise they only do average that day.

Hope this helps!

The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    She might have left the book somewhere -- I've gone to the parks and there are homework books all over the place. :o
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    @PriestessBizarre You can also have them do homework twice. Once, "Do Homework" second, "Do extra credit homework". ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    The homework is always in their inventory, make sure they do it because they won't on their own.

I actually go out of my way to make my teen Sims fail school, and one even flunked out. She is aptly named Fatima Failure