Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Update] The Sims Spark'd Finale - Discussion with Spoilers!

Comments

• CemirrorCemirror Posts: 61 Member
    @simgirl1010 @babjayne My point, though, isn't about if the story is good, it's just that the judges have never been clear about what kind of story they're looking for. Just because something doesn't have a climax doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. But, for instance, while Team Llama's story doesn't really have a climax, the judges were perfectly happy with it, but - if I remember correctly - they criticized someone else's story in the first episode for not having a climax.

When there's such a lack of objectivity, it makes the judging very unsatisfying, almost untrustworthy. Just because I might like a story does not make it better than another one. Judging requires some criteria, and I think we should have known what that criteria was.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,704 Member
    edited July 2020
    Cemirror wrote: »
    @simgirl1010 @babjayne My point, though, isn't about if the story is good, it's just that the judges have never been clear about what kind of story they're looking for. Just because something doesn't have a climax doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. But, for instance, while Team Llama's story doesn't really have a climax, the judges were perfectly happy with it, but - if I remember correctly - they criticized someone else's story in the first episode for not having a climax.

When there's such a lack of objectivity, it makes the judging very unsatisfying, almost untrustworthy. Just because I might like a story does not make it better than another one. Judging requires some criteria, and I think we should have known what that criteria was.

Understood. We'll see what happens this week. 🙂
  • discoduck227discoduck227 Posts: 62 Member
    I haven't been really clear on the story part in either episode. The teams don't seem to have been given clear instructions and at times I don't understand why the judges didn't like certain things. I agree that Team Llama had the best story overall in this episode although I didn't catch the tombstones on the red carpet at the end but nice touch! As far as the actual story of the other two teams, I don't think either of them really hit the mark but I was just flat out confused by Team Cowplant. If they'd had more time and more voice acting, it would have be clearer. Team Gnome was funny even if maybe they didn't really use the Strangerville pack as much as they should. Personally I have never played with it so I don't know exactly what's in it.
  • discoduck227discoduck227 Posts: 62 Member
    I can seem to edit my post. I meant I haven't been clear on exactly what the story telling portion is supposed to be in either episode. Like how much is it worth? It would be nice to know a break down of which is the most important as far as scoring.
    Don't know how I missed this. I'll see if I can get a link to the article.

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    y'all made Plumbella leave? How stupid. She was the only thing that would make me interested...Throw it out..
  • luckyheatherluckyheather Posts: 19,716 Member

Thank you for the Link @SimGuruNinja it was so good to read the New York Times about the best game and I have played since Sims 1 and play/build nearly every day all year even Christmas Day :)
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Turned on the channel when(don’t click if you care about spoilers and haven’t watched yet)
    English Simmer was being brought back because a team member left?
    Can someone who watched it from the beginning tell me only if (don’t click if you care about spoilers and haven’t watched yet)
    She was forced to leave or left in her own accord? No details as to why for either please[/spoilers]
    Turned on the channel when(don’t click if you care about spoilers and haven’t watched yet)
    English Simmer was being brought back because a team member left?
    Can someone who watched it from the beginning tell me only if (don’t click if you care about spoilers and haven’t watched yet)
    She was forced to leave or left in her own accord? No details as to why for either please[/spoilers]
    She made the decision to leave.
  • dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    edited August 2020
    The CAS challenge was iffy - the feminie assets all give male sims breasts and masculine assets all give female sims awkward chests and hips. They need reworking and the challenge proved it. Teens, YA and Adults all look the same, so I'm not surprised Dave couldn't tell the difference (it seems like most of his criticisms are at the game's fault and not the contestants throughout the whole show).

One of the rules for the build challenge was you couldn't use objects that link to the vehicle but Doctor Ashley used clocks which clearly link to it - compared to lights and pipe ends for a school bus.

What part of real estate and home selling links with Storytelling? (also some of the assets like the flies buzzing, fire and moving pots & pans arent even in the game and should be availible to us) Dave definitely only voted for Mollie to make it seem more dramatic - the whole show is just forced and manufactured drama in what could've been and should've been judged like GBBO with constructive criticism and not pitting people against each other.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    So...there are still two teams? That seems a little weird to me. I thought the point of the skill challenge was to eliminate individuals to get the final three and then they somehow compete on the last episode for the prize. So does that mean the 100 grand is shared between team members? This irks me a little bit because two teams got eliminated quickly and now they're dragging out the last two. It doesn't seem fair for a competition because the "losing" teams barely got to show their skills.

Maybe in future shows, they should start off with skill challenges just so we can actually see what each contestant is capable of. If these people are putting themselves out there to be discovered or criticized, they should each get a fair chance to shine. I think that's the main problem with this show is that it's very clunky and inconsistent. I get it, this is the first run and The Sims isn't the type of game that's really made for competitions like this so these decisions are tricky. But yeah, start off with showing us more from each player, even if you dedicate the entire first show or two to the skills challenge. After that, people will have chosen favorites and be more invested in the creativity, and then eliminating might make more sense to the public. Also, this will give each contestant a little deserved exposure (because they won by popular vote anyway) so that they can build their following. Eliminating them before really showing us what they can do kind of makes people brush them off.

They could even have each contestant do a little presentation on the winning entry that got them onto the show, and show a little bit of what they usually like to do, what their preferred styles and themes are, etc. so that the audience can really get a grasp on who is their favorite or who they relate to. This might also help to warm up the contestants to speaking in front of others so they don't shut down in anxiety when the actual contest begins. Maybe an intro show before the contest officially begins?

Just some thoughts and suggestions.
    #Team Occult
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Might be interesting if you had the skills challenges for builder and stylist, then the storytellers could draft their teams, instead of it being random; that way the storytellers could pick builders and stylists that fit their particular story style (fantasmic or more realism based). I'd also like a short introduction to each contestant, where they talk about themselves, what sets them apart from the average player, etc. For example, if I was ever on the show (yeah, right) I could talk about how I bring age diversity to the game because I'm older than dirt. :D
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    In the third episode, I thought they asked the contestants to build a conventional mode of transportation using unconventional materials. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    That is exactly what simlicy did.
    On the other hand ,the other contestant built an unconventional mode of transportation. Although she did a great job, I don't think she met the criteria of the challenge and shouldn't have won that one.
    Also, Dr Gluon shouldn't have lost that one vote in his challenge. He was clearly the best. It was so obvious. I know they did it to make the end result seem more exciting, but I don't think it was fair to him.
    Having said that I am really enjoying this competition.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    @LiELF They've normally done two challenges per episode. One that grants a team an advantage and a second that eliminates a team. In this episodes they only did one challenge, it took a lot of time because the team members split to compete against each other. So the elimination challenge got pushed to the next episode. Same amount of challenges basically, but longer time.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    @LiELF They've normally done two challenges per episode. One that grants a team an advantage and a second that eliminates a team. In this episodes they only did one challenge, it took a lot of time because the team members split to compete against each other. So the elimination challenge got pushed to the next episode. Same amount of challenges basically, but longer time.

I understand. I did think of that, I just still felt that the other two teams were brushed away too quickly because the audience didn't even get a chance to see and appreciate what they can do. I think the show needs an additional episode to get to know more about the contestants and their styles. That might make it seem a little more balanced. In the beginning, it wasn't even that clear as to who had what specialty because it moved so fast and sometimes the presentations were a little mixed.

I don't think the show is bad, I just think it needs a little more structure and fine tuning. I mean, I've been watching it so I'm apparently engaged, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • SimbastienSimbastien Posts: 111 Member
    I found the "create a clothing line" challenge odd considering there isn't much customization as far as clothes go without create-a-style
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited August 2020
    Episode 3

The houses of the storyteller challenge are amazing. Are they available in the gallery ?

40qyh97aouum.jpg
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    i have been enjoying this show ..it is definitely something different...i think the first challenge should be a trial with no real consequences because the first one was a little rocky ...i think because the teams were unsure how to work together and this being the first challenge it just felt un nerving to all of them..things went much better the second round.
    edited August 2020
    Simbastien wrote: »
    I found the "create a clothing line" challenge odd considering there isn't much customization as far as clothes go without create-a-style

I'm sure @Netzspannung would disagree. 🙂 Check out her thread which is my go to resource when looking for new clothing ideas for my sims.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required/p1

I don't think the contestants entries were at all inspired.
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Since it's almost time for the grand finale, just a quick reminder: if you're discussing anything that happened in the final episode, please make sure to use spoiler tags!
    Many Simmers won't get a chance to watch the finale before Monday so please be mindful of how and what you're discussing in this thread.

Thank you all and have fun watching! :heart:
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    More like they wanna win for $100,000. Just be honest🤦‍♀️