Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I buy University or Eco?

Just started getting back into playing! I have the other EPs, so which of these two would you recommend and why?

Thanks!

Should I buy University or Eco? 104 votes

Discover University
74%
CK213brackencat31Icewolfbandit5alan650111AyradyssqnoftheamazonAlrynnmcruddIsb917babajayneelanorbretonMariefoxprice83JestTruloubylouloualanmichael1stilljustme2GwastenMicahadklaxgothprincess4ever 77 votes
Eco Lifestyle
25%
Akl500PBluegayleCamkatfriendlysimmerscchant86Moon_WillowHeyYoDiscoNickashcrash19BabykittyjadeiVySimGirlsnoepjes1210GitamusteniAlanSimsRedShoe7MondayTTNsimmerRememberJoySimAlexandriaxstxrrysequence 27 votes

Comments

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Discover University
    I’ve taken breaks before, too... glad you are having fun with the game again. Make sure to check all the threads about Eco Lifestyle before you buy it! It’s pretty buggy and a lot of people are having problems even when it works as advertised. I’m not interested in it and they couldn’t pay me to install it.

People seem to have mixed reviews about Discover University, too, but I really enjoy that one. I recommend starting slow with 1 sim, taking 2 or 3 classes, on the UBrite campus rather than Foxbury (which is so large it’s hard to get to class on time). If you usually play more than one household on rotation, it’s best in my experience to complete each term before rotating away from that household and do NOT enroll in the next term until you rotate back. Get a feel for the uni life before sending any of your important sims there.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Discover University
    It's on sale right now for 19.99.... Eco is 29.99. That's my reasoning always if I can hold out for a sale.
    egTcBMc.png
  • beautimousbeautimous Posts: 108 Member
    Wow, went for my lunch and came back to a pretty overwhelming win for the uni EP. Makes my decision easy then!
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Discover University
    Eco Lifestyle (from what I've heard, I don't own it) is currently very buggy. I'd get DU and wait for the bugs in EL to be fixed first.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    Discover University
    I am quite simple: DU's windows and doors are very, very pretty. That's my entire reason. :D
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    Ha! I'm the only one who literally never played DU after the first time...
    I do agree with the other poster about the windows and doors though, I use those almost every build now.

Meanwhile, seems I'm the only one who also uses Eco daily... :D
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    I think eco has better content and is more flexible. But there are still bugs...
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    Camkat wrote: »
    Ha! I'm the only one who literally never played DU after the first time...
    I do agree with the other poster about the windows and doors though, I use those almost every build now.

Meanwhile, seems I'm the only one who also uses Eco daily... :D

Nope I haven't touched university lol. Can't into it and studying is boring. On the other hand I have no major bugs with eco living and I am enjoying it ALOT. I use it daily also.

To the op it depends on your playstyle. Love the bikes that came with uni.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    Discover University
    I ve got both and I don’t rate eco living at all. I ve had to disable voting and I don’t use naps as they are so annoying. If I were you, I would nt touch eco living.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Discover University
    I actually really really like EL and don't seem to be having many issues with it but I'm kind of addicted to having my sims have degrees 😅 I keep telling myself no, because when they do the degree, I'm kind of stuck to their household for a bit, but then I just do it all over again 🤷🏻‍♀️ I really really enjoy this pack, love that there are two unis, love having my sims live on campus in uni housing or in dorms, off campus while having a full-time job, still living with their parents, or trying to make a career change. They study drama, bio, psychology, law - speaking of which, I love they can be teachers, lawyers and engineers now. Love robotics, love locking certain career paths from sims that don't have degrees....... Yeah I really love DU and use it all the time. So I'm voting for that :)
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    Neither are the best in my opinion. Both have the issue of being short term gameplay that gets old quickly.

There's basically nothing in University that you can use if your sim isn't in university, although I had some fun sending my sim to university I don't see myself going back and playing through university again. Reminds me of Strangerville in that way. The university world and stuff just sits unused in my game as I have zero use for it.

Eco Lifestyle is bad. NAPs are a nightmare and saving the environment is boring. If you like building it's nice ig but otherwise not worth it
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited August 2020
    Eco Lifestyle
    I like them both, but without the information on your preferences I would pick Eco. I have played since day 1 and have not had problems I could not deal with. The items and mechanics allow for nice off the grid play, plus an eco feature for every world, several new traits, many craftable items, and I think more random, sassy phone calls came with Eco (the entrepreneur character called my Sims saying a $1 would make him as happy as her and it asked if I would hang up or give her the dollar; I gave her the dollar and she thanked him and asked if he felt happier).

I'd argue all these things are easier to use than DU's main mechanic. Although you can go to university with a YA, A, or an Elder, that is only three stages and it takes a while to work through. You can do it at home to have a more inclusive family, but you can get into the meat of Eco far easier. The main reason you would pick it over Eco is the sale, you need the realism, or you die hard want robots (unless the theme is just your thing).
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Discover University
    I think DU is a better choice right now because of some of the nastier EL bugs (I haven't seen that many, but I haven't played in Evergreen Harbor yet), plus it seems to be part of the natural progression of life. I have a save where my Sim is attending UBrite; I'm thinking of starting another save with one of my long-time test Sims who is about to age to YA so she can attend one of the two universities.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited August 2020
    Discover University
    While the major features of both this eps don't work the way i was expecting, i can work around DU's issues with mods while EL's i can't, so i ended up disabling or just ignoring those features in this pack.

I play DU with a mod that only allows the acess to the higher positions in a career if having a degree and i have another mod to decrease the number of credits needed to get the degree. So, it ends up being realistic and a must in my gameplay but only with mods.

Eco lifestyle was kind of a disapointment. The eco footprint is always changing to the point it doesn't make sense and it depends a lot in building and not only in our sim's houses but also in all the neighbourhood's. Having to tweak all the neighbourhood's houses is a chore! I would prefer if it depended more in gameplay. In the other hand Naps are impossible to play. It's just having the neighbours act like robots. I thought it would spawn stuff related to the winning nap in the neighbourhood, so that it looked different and offered more stuff to do related to the naps, but it's just a mess...

There are, of course, other features in each expansion that can make or break it for you. It would take me forever to analyse that.

But in what concerns to main features both need tweaking. It's just that DU's issues are not really issues, but preferences that can be worked around while EL has big issues that can break immersion and i haven't found any work arounds...
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    Discover University
    Eco lifestyle is too buggy at the moment.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Discover University
    Eco Lifestyle needs so many mods to get rid of the annoying spammy NAP behaviors. It's great besides for the annoying Neighborhood Action Plans. The developers really need to go back to the drawing board on those. DU is very versatile as a pack since you can attend university while at home. I really enjoy it and I think it edges out Eco.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Discover University
    They fixed the glitches in Discover University.
    Eco Lifestyle is still new with lots of glitches that came with it.
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Discover University
    I took a break, too, from February to June due to the whole pandemic crisis and some career problems I had to work through, so I know exactly how it feels, I'm glad you're back and enjoying the game.

I don't own Eco Lifestyle yet, but I'll buy it in a few days (thank you, Amazon Gift Card, hahaha), so I can only speak for Discover University. I bought it in December, some weeks after its release date, and I use it in all my save files to this very day. It's a fairly versatile pack with somewhat predictable gameplay but able to push your Sims stories forward, should you choose to do so. All the degrees work pretty much in the same way, but the way they are incorporated into careers is what makes the bigger difference. I don't know if you use Mods, but I found one that makes specific degrees necessary for specific careers, and it's made my game much more challenging and rewarding.

Another aspect I really like is the fact that you can attend university from home and go to classes the same way Sims go to rabbit hole careers. It's not as exciting as living on campus, but you can choose to play as a single parent, have a dog or cat, a part-time job, and so on. Attending classes from home leaves my Sims with more free time to earn income and work on their skills. I play many save files this way, even making my Sims earn degrees way well into their adulthood -never too late to make your Sims dreams come true, right?

Most of the bugs and glitches that came with Discover University have been fixed, if not all (I never had issues with it, that's why I'm not completely sure), so that's an advantage over Eco Lifestyle which, judging from various threads on these forums, are still ridden with lots of glitches. If you are 100% sure you're going to like the new features and/or absolutely need the CAS and BB Mode objects, then I say you go for it. I just don't see how much replayable Eco Lifestyle can be after weeks and months of gameplay -the main features seem a bit uncreative to me, but it's only my personal opinion after all.

Happy Simming whatever you decide!
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    Now that I finally have the Eco Lifestyle bugs under control, I wholeheartedly support that choice! Eco Lifestyle is really fun!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    even do i voted for eco living i would say bough are worth buying
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    musteni wrote: »
    I think eco has better content and is more flexible. But there are still bugs...

That
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Discover University
    I'd have to go with University not because University itself there is nothing fun about rabbit holes but for the few very basic activities it adds. Now if you really enjoy dumpster woohoo your Sims eating bugs and objects disappearing from your lots Eco Lifestyle is the way to go.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I find that this is a hard question to answer, because it really depends on what you're into. For example, I have University, and I don't have Eco Living because it's not a topic that interests me. But maybe you're just the opposite? Maybe you're more into ecology than college-related themes? I recommend going with what theme sounds more interesting to you
  • qnoftheamazonqnoftheamazon Posts: 643 Member
    Discover University
    Only reason I bought DU is for the new careers. It's nice to give my sims the extra bump in pay and a degree. Eco Living doesn't interest me.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Discover University
    Discover University adds a ton of game features, a pretty good world, and some nice households. Every feature in Eco Living is somewhat exaggerated, and I had to disable most of the environment and NAP features because they are a headache.