Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular opinion about most of Sims 4’s packs

Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
edited August 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Alright some may disagree with me, but here’s my honest opinion on what they should have done instead of creating so many darn stuff packs. My solution is they should have made a hobbies game pack, it would be very similar to the sims 2 Freetime, and it would have included knitting, sports, more stuff for kids and elders, better telescopes, more swimming activities, and more. If I were EA that’s what I would have done instead of making so many stuff packs that could just be add on features. I’m not saying nifty knitting is a bad pack or anything but it seems like a missed opportunity. There’s my 2 cents..
t0j4i8.jpg

Comments

• DrWrightDrWright Posts: 29 Member
    It was originally dreamed up as "Arts & Crafts" but I guess the scope was too large for a stuff pack so it got whittled down to knitting with a majority of the community approving it. At least it's ranked as a "Stuff Pack" and they didn't put much more effort in it than that. I don't like the knitting pack myself but I deeply appreciate that it was built upon listening to the community. I really hope in the future EA continues to listen to community desires. I also hope we get a more masculine pack next like Strangerville(I love SV, I wish they would add more stories!), Jungle, and Vampires or one that appeals to both masculine and feminine natures like Island Living.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    DrWright wrote: »
    It was originally dreamed up as "Arts & Crafts" but I guess the scope was too large for a stuff pack so it got whittled down to knitting with a majority of the community approving it. At least it's ranked as a "Stuff Pack" and they didn't put much more effort in it than that. I don't like the knitting pack myself but I deeply appreciate that it was built upon listening to the community. I really hope in the future EA continues to listen to community desires. I also hope we get a more masculine pack next like Strangerville(I love SV, I wish they would add more stories!), Jungle, and Vampires or one that appeals to both masculine and feminine natures like Island Living.

No it wasn't. All along from vote one it said choose the main category (Which was arts and crafts) and then rank the 5 choices in that category (knitting, sewing, glass making, pottery and something I forget) and the highest ranked sub-category in the highest ranked main category would have a pack made out of it. THis was said on the VERY first page of the very first vote as well as several times throughout the vote. It was NEVER meant to be a larger pack. But yes it was voted on as far as the community picking the arts/crafts theme and ranking knitting highest in that category but it was never dreamed up as a pack with more than one element.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

No it wasn't. All along from vote one it said choose the main category (Which was arts and crafts) and then rank the 5 choices in that category (knitting, sewing, glass making, pottery and something I forget) and the highest ranked sub-category in the highest ranked main category would have a pack made out of it. THis was said on the VERY first page of the very first vote as well as several times throughout the vote. It was NEVER meant to be a larger pack. But yes it was voted on as far as the community picking the arts/crafts theme and ranking knitting highest in that category but it was never dreamed up as a pack with more than one element.

@SimAlexandria The dissapointing thing is it was the first sign of a hobbies pack but they decided to make it a Stuff pack and it is just not what people expected of the "arts and crafts" pack to become. It is a shame.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

@SimAlexandria The dissapointing thing is it was the first sign of a hobbies pack but they decided to make it a Stuff pack and it is just not what people expected of the "arts and crafts" pack to become. It is a shame.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have loved a hobbies theme game pack or expansion, BUT I also would love if they'd add like 10-20 more fleshed out hobbies in individual stuff packs. I'm okay either way with this one. I'm just saying that it's a fact that it was never planned like that in the first place and it was very clear to anyone that read the voting instructions on several pages of the survey that we were only getting one.

Knitting was not my first choice either. My first choice was fitbit stuff portion of the Health/Fitness pack which got voted so low I doubt we'll ever see it now, but oh well.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited August 2020

I'm not saying I wouldn't have loved a hobbies theme game pack or expansion, BUT I also would love if they'd add like 10-20 more fleshed out hobbies in individual stuff packs. I'm okay either way with this one. I'm just saying that it's a fact that it was never planned like that in the first place and it was very clear to anyone that read the voting instructions on several pages of the survey that we were only getting one.

Knitting was not my first choice either. My first choice was fitbit stuff portion of the Health/Fitness pack which got voted so low I doubt we'll ever see it now, but oh well.

Oh no. Ten packs for 10$ each for hobbies. Not for me...

Like the OP said I would prefer a FreeTime style pack like the Sims 2. Especially since it came with extra features like badges and individual interests towards a certain hobby for certain sims.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Oh no. Ten packs for 10$ each for hobbies. Not for me...

Like the OP said I would prefer a FreeTime style pack like the Sims 2. Especially since it came with extra features like badges and individual interests towards a certain hobby for certain sims.

$13 where I live haha. But we could pick and choose only the hobbies we'd use :) But yeah, that'd be good too. Honestly I don't think I have a preference between the two styles of doing them.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2020

Why is this community always out of touch and can't grasp basic things. It's a stuff pack: why would anyone expect it to bring on seven??? seven hobbies when the pattern always include one or two gameplay mechanics/animation that are patch-size and. This is the obvious pattern. And of course its gonna be narrowed down to one object theme (knitting? who would have thought that? It's not like bowling and movie hangout live up and hamster stuff pack live up to their names? As someone put it, ppl just dont wanna see its a reskin for TS3store so ppl are more pursasive to buy this overprice 'premium content' junk. Maxis is gonna continue peacemeal this bull... for as long people spent a dime especially this type of packs. Save that money for expansion or game pack, because if stuff packs wont bring revenue we may see a full devoted beloved freetime game/expansion pack you all dreading for if ppl just think before spending. What's next? Hello World stuff where the featured emphasis on watching your Sim program on their computer? Sweep the floor be a next thing?
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    edited August 2020

Why is this community always out of touch and can't grasp basic things. It's a stuff pack: why would anyone expect it to bring on seven??? seven hobbies when the pattern always include one or two gameplay mechanics/animation that are patch-size and. This is the obvious pattern. And of course its gonna be narrowed down to one object theme (knitting? who would have thought that? It's not like bowling and movie hangout live up and hamster stuff pack live up to their names? As someone put it, ppl just dont wanna see its a reskin for TS3store so ppl are more pursasive to buy this overprice 'premium content' junk. Maxis is gonna continue peacemeal this bull... for as long people spent a dime especially this type of packs. Save that money for expansion or game pack, because if stuff packs wont bring revenue we may see a full devoted beloved freetime game/expansion pack you all dreading for if ppl just think before spending. What's next? Hello World stuff where the featured emphasis on watching your Sim program on their computer? Sweep the floor be a next thing?

Or... I can spend money on stuff I enjoy, and you can spend money on what YOU like. That works too. I agree we shouldn't expect much in a stuff pack and of course it was only going to be knitting, but I disagree that the stuff pack method isn't good. I LOVE stuff packs, I LOVE the knitting stuff pack, and I hope for many more small stuff packs. I'll support any that I think I would enjoy
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I actually think Maxis/EA are onto a winner with these stuff packs. $10 is easier for a lot of people than $40. Personally, I'd rather pay $40 and have a fully fleshed out pack, (like hobbies, that was a great example!), I think I'm probably a minority though. People might not want to save for the $40 pack. A lot more people these days need instant gratification and EA are absolutely counting on that and cashing in on it with these packs.

What is nice about a smaller pack though is that you do have more control on the types of things that you put into your game. I think $10 is a little expensive for what you get in these packs but... I just wait for sales. I'm clearly not their target with these. ;)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    I actually think Maxis/EA are onto a winner with these stuff packs. $10 is easier for a lot of people than $40. Personally, I'd rather pay $40 and have a fully fleshed out pack, (like hobbies, that was a great example!), I think I'm probably a minority though. People might not want to save for the $40 pack. A lot more people these days need instant gratification and EA are absolutely counting on that and cashing in on it with these packs.

What is nice about a smaller pack though is that you do have more control on the types of things that you put into your game. I think $10 is a little expensive for what you get in these packs but... I just wait for sales. I'm clearly not their target with these. ;)

I am enjoying nifty knitting and am a little sad they didn't make it an expansion or a game pack with more stuff to knit and even more hobbies. I strongly think they might still make one about hobbies, so the hope for that is not lost. I also currently feel the same as you when it comes to stuff packs, but i like NK so much more than some of the previous ones.

Op, I dont mind the quantity of stuff packs because sims 4 does not have a store like ts2 and 3 did, it would be unfair to not give it a way to release more stuff. The only thing i dont like is the inclusion of a hero item or premuim content in those packs. I would rather they keep them part of game packs and expansions because that is the only reason i wanna buy some stuff packs, so making it that way would save me money XD It is a matter of preference because i know others feel the opposite and prefer hero items in stuff packs.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    This is more like a popular opinion!
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2020
    Mareah wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »

Op, I dont mind the quantity of stuff packs because sims 4 does not have a store like ts2 and 3 did, it would be unfair to not give it a way to release more stuff. The only thing i dont like is the inclusion of a hero item or premuim content in those packs. I would rather they keep them part of game packs and expansions because that is the only reason i wanna buy some stuff packs, so making it that way would save me money XD It is a matter of preference because i know others feel the opposite and prefer hero items in stuff packs.

Oh no. TS4 stuff packs is the new STORE. No offemse, but you don't seem to see through it. All it is that with TS4 has been comprised down from $300 to $200 because EA realize it wasn't profitting as ppl refused to buy their overprice stuff. Instead of store, they're now called by the deceptive OFFICIAL PACK title slapped over that tempts players psychology that's its somewhat any better. Just do some math: for completionish, how much in total buying all 17 or how many of these stuff pack are right now for a full added price cost? How much gameplay with all the full experience you'll get from these for the asking price from all of them combined? Barely different to that of what the premium content (new gameplay items from the store) TS3 had. It's the same thing really. And why would they make a whole pack dedicated to (In plural hobbies as a game/expansion pack when like with knitting, bowling they can section it all up into stuff packs that include one activity. It's a business - why would they do it? What stops them from doing the same (making into individual Stuff Packs respective)
    to pottery, soccer, train model table, restoring car activity, bug collecting (oh wait, eco lifestyle one), a new type of music instrument, and a cooking subskill and you name it oppose to creating a whole pack covering many activities at once like FreeTime?

If we gonna continue normalize this, TS5 may eventually come with loot boxes as another forth pack sold at the price $5 then ppl will get 🐸🐸🐸🐸 over the fact that's they been too dumbfound to realize it was coming. That shouldn't come as a surprise or be justified ppl werent expecting things. We have a freakin a 10$ stuff pack for hamsters. Consumers getting explots and thus why EA decide to try a new lab experiment to see how much we can manipulated into buying a dlc that promotes and requires another dlc to work (My First Pet requiring a $40 expansion for half the content to be unlocked).

Inb4 to my replies replier: that's okay if you find these stuff packs are satisfying for you and that the peacemeal is justified. The message is more address for ppl that are aware and feel that what they're getting doesn't leave a good taste in their mouth but still continue buy the fact with the excuse justifying that "may as well do it because why the f not?" I also comments like "because everyone else is doing (might as well contribute to the problem" or "im bored and still will but still gonna buy it anyway", not realizing how much power they have by skipping that purchase for DLC can make it a difference so that packs wont end up being made boring.
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    this is not an unpopular opinion...this is what ea shoud've at least done but with every pack they let out they remind us why are they making so many packs with barely any content...cuz they like to get money doing the minimal, reusing stuff and making excuses. and fans are getting conditioned to this, buying both their packs & their bs
  • FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2020
    My biggest "problem" with the current way of releasing content is that we don't really know how Maxis approach to pick up themes are. What makes something up to be considered as a stuff pack theme? Or a game pack? Or an expansion pack? We have a vague explanation about broader themes to be considered EP and more restrict ones to be selected as GP/SP, but why do they chose bowling to be a SP and not to be included inside some EP/GP (like before)?

Six years later it is more noticeable now that are missed opportunities about how they picked up themes to release content. Right now, I think that Stuff Packs could occupy metaphorically the space that used to be of deluxe editions (with the extra objects but also gameplay that adds to the game itself and potentially increases EP/GP features).