Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I get island living, city living or seasons?

I have some money that I want to use and I’m thinking of getting an expansion but I can’t decide between seasons, city living and island living.

Should I get island living, city living or seasons? 125 votes

Island living
6%
AquariusMomBabykittyjadeOnverserEnkiSchmidtDrakosKimmerClousinatorsEVANGELlNE 8 votes
City living
12%
GalacticGalbandit5imhappyalanmichael1AnnLee87NetzspannungSheriSim57MDianaSimsRedShoe7summertaffy68JediMuppetHopeyStarrddd994Evilyn_1007RouensimsCavapoo_King 16 votes
Seasons
80%
Akl500PBluegayleicmnfrshbrackencat31Icewolfalexspoom13alan650111IceyJSimmervillestoryyMi9shaoscarsam123AlrynnIsb917babajayneelanorbretonhaneulAnmirlaMariefoxprice83simgirl1010 100 votes
Other
0%
SimAlexandria 1 vote

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited August 2020
    Seasons
    It really depends on your interests here, but Seasons offers gameplay for all the worlds and really gives the game a more realistic feel. It is probably one of if not the most solid pack out there. Weather and holidays are fun to mess with, and I appreciate the calendar more than I expected to.

The rest, I like for different things. I love IL; mermaids are fun and the world is beautiful. Combine it with EL and you can have some really interesting off the grid, tropical, or castaway play. Even if you have no interest in that, the close to nature aspect is a cool one and I like the swimming. Could it be more? Yes. Mermaids could have a skill tree and there could be underwater play, but I really enjoy IL.

CL is fun in its own way, too. Like Sulani is the only true beach world, San Myshuno is the only true city world. If you want that urban feel, this is a good expansion for you. I appreciate the festivals, though IL has it's own versions as well, and you actually get notified to join these. Each neighborhood has it's own characteristics and I enjoy the new assets and recipes. This being said, you can only furnish apartments and you cannot build your own, so be aware of that. Plus, the neighbors here really are annoying.

It is up to you, though. I do not think any are truly bad, I have all three for that reason, but I do consider Seasons to be the most solid recommendation. My friend is just getting into 4 and of these three I would purchase Seasons for her around the holidays.
    Post edited by Calico45 on
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited July 2020
    Seasons
    1. Seasons
    2. CL
    3. IL

I just can't live without weather 😊 and I really like the calendar, ability to create your own holidays (I have a baking holiday, a midsummer one, Christmas, love day,...), and to (now) knit on a rainy day (well if you have that pack of course). But after that, CL is one of my favorites. And tbqh, I really really like EL as well :)
  • Serious_sims_gamer43Serious_sims_gamer43 Posts: 523 Member
    Seasons
    Thank you Calico45 and SimTrippy :)
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    I only have Seasons and Island Living, and can vouch for both. I think Seasons makes the game more complicated, and if that's your thing, then go for it.

I'm also interested in City Living, but the CAS items aren't my thing.

Also, please only buy when on sale. You would be wasting your money otherwise.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    City living
    For family players I would totally recommend Seasons, but my favourite of those three packs is definitely City Living. I love San Myshuno and the flair of the neighborhoods - the singing skill, Karaoke bars, the recipes, the careers and the townies are also pretty great. The pack has good CAS and especially BB, which really added items that looked used / filthy for the first time (wallpapers, carpets, counters, fridge and stove etc). The apartments can be very luxirous or offer serious challenges (like moving a Sim with the Squeamish trait into a 'Needs TLC' apartment). Even my Sims who don't live in San Myshuno visit regularly. The Stargazer Lounge, which I turned into Stargazers (restaurant) with Dine Out is still my favourite date location after all this time and Myshuno Meadows is a very nice wedding location. So while I have and like all of the packs, CL is most essential to the way I like to play the game. The only downsides to me are the game-generated festival outfits - which of course always include the cursed eyeball ring - and that the turbans can show up in cold weather wear for game-generated townies, which is just weird.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
    Seasons
    Thank you for all your thoughts!
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Seasons
    I can't play without seasons. I love the weather. Everything is possible when your sims are living an eternal summer and if that's your thing then don't get it. But i love the challenge that weather brings to the game. I also love the calendar. You can plan events, birthday parties... all in advance. And you can create your own holidays. It's really cool if you like to customise the game to your liking.
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    City living
    I voted City Living - new Sims, new world, lots of new story possibilities.

But... if you are family player, you probably will get more out of Seasons.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    Seasons

I have and enjoy them all. Yet, since you ask for one, I pick Seasons because it makes the Sims 4 more real. I love Island Living for the beach and new world; and, I really enjoy City Living. The more packs you are able to get over time the better. EA is doing so much with how packs are integrating with other packs; so, the more packs you are able to get over time the better your gameplay experience will be. Happy Simming!
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
    Seasons
    Telmarina I would love a calendar option, thanks for explaining it more :)
    imhappy thanks for telling me what city living has to offer
    Hearts4u good observation!
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    City living
    I really like City Living. I loves the views. I think I have played there more then any other world besides Newcrest and Willow Creek. I enjoy starting out in a cruddy apartment and work my way up into one of the penthouses I built. This way my Sim can live in each neighborhood. I like the City Living townies! Once my Sim has made it in the city, has a spouse and a couple of kids it's time to move to the country before the 3rd kid arrives.

Island Living is very pretty but for me it got old. It's very tasked based and once I did everything I just visit now. I really did not like the furniture that came with this pack. I built every lot and created Sims. I spent enough time there to span 3 generations. I just grew tired of the whole island thing. I will probably play there again the next time we get a RL South Dakota blizzard. lol

Seasons is overrated IMO. It changed gardening and I go into options and turn off stuff. Too many ways for my Sims to die. The thunder and lighting is so loud I jump out of my seat. I turn it off. The umbrella thing drives me nuts. If you do get seasons don't buy the umbrella tree and assign umbrellas. The Sims don't know how to use them. Good objects!
    Seasons
    Thanks for the warning AnnLee87
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Seasons
    Seasons is the best of the expansion packs.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Seasons
    So did you pick one yet? :D I was just curious what your usual playstyle is? Kind of should've asked earlier huh :D
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Seasons
    For a generic all round pack get seasons. It adds so much to the game in all worlds and is a must have pack. Although on a personal level city living and island living are my favourite expansion packs as I love the cultural elements to them, gameplay, cas, bb items. However both packs are limited to their world and seem to be marmite expansion packs especially island living.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Other
    Island Living is my favourite, but my sims all live in Sulani so I get the most game play out of it. If you aren't interested in playing on an isladn too often, Seasons would be better. City living is one of my least favourites, I wouldn't recommend it but everyone's taste is different so you might love it. Your best bet would be to look up youtube videos of game play in each one and see what you personally think looks the most fun.
  • brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    Seasons
    Seasons, hands down, the other two are ok but I love the holidays, calendar and weather.
    Seasons
    SimTrippy my game style is more of a family player and a lot of people are saying if that’s my style I should get seasons so I think that might be my decision, thanks everyone for helping me decide!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Island living
    I wouldn't recommend seasons unless you already have other packs. You're just stuck with the base game and a bit of snow, there's no new world or anything to explore.

Island Living adds a whole new world and a totally different gameplay style which really changes the game for me so I'd recommend that. Or if you're not into islands then City Living, for me apartments got old pretty quickly but it's nice to have.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Ehh...

That depends on what you like to do while playing.

I have personal favorites but that might not suit your playstyle. Hmm... I think that all of them are good. What do you feel like doing?
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Seasons
    Never get Island Living.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Seasons
    I agree with most of the posters that Seasons is the way to go. If you're careful you can avoid the random death of your Sims due to weather (plus there are reward traits to help), and I like how it adds so much to the game. You can have Sims hunt for eggs (if you have a Sim going for the Curator aspiration that makes an easy collection to complete), the seasonal aspect adds a lot to gardening (plus there are a bunch of new plants), gardener is a new option for work from home Sims (you can either do botanist or flower arranging; I've done the latter and it can be a good money maker if you have a stay at home parent. And i think with Nifty Knitting you can sell the arrangements on Plopsy), and the holidays add great gameplay especially for families.

Second choice would be City Living; there's just something about being able to move a YA Sim out of the family home and into an apartment rather than a house. The festivals are fun, if you like cooking there are a lot of new recipes especially cultural ones. Karaoke with the Singing skill is cool, and adds a new dimension to entertainment Sims (you can sing along with the piano or guitar!).

Island Living is a nice pack, but it's a bit more limited in number of lots and many of them are taken up by the premades. As someone else said, though, combining it with aspects of Eco Lifestyle (especially the offthegrid features) could give it a bit more life. I'll have to revisit it sometime; been a while since I played because I was away from the game with health issues.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    City living
    In seasons the holidays get annoying and yesterday my sim died swimming during a blizzard he did not autonomously
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • muzemuze Posts: 108 Member
    Seasons
    Definitely Seasons, you just need to download small mods like "no cold clothing inside" because the effects of weather might be annoying. Overall Seasons add too much new stuff to your game, meanwhile even though Sulani is very beautiful the gameplay is kinda shallow + I love apartments but San Myshuno is very laggy on my laptop so I can't play there a lot.
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Seasons
    SEASONS! It is possibly one of the best packs I have, because of the weather system, and build/buy mode items.