Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University noob questions - Playing NRaas regulating story progression in my families

During my play yesterday, my first Sim was finally a YA and ready to go to college. I had him take the aptitude test and then call on the phone to go to University. The family watched as their boy went off to college. Cut scene to a nice big campus and there he is. A popup came on the screen and I thought it said that story progression was off. I'm not sure but I had to logoff for the day.

Loading the game up today, I thought I would double-check the main family to make sure I "checked them back in" so they weren't progressing while the student was at school. But I can't seem to get back to them. Every time I pull the family up, it shows both sons, one of whom is at University. Then I checked my student and his is "checked out" and the progression setting in NRaas is on for him.

Can someone with NRaas explain to me how this works? I don't want my main family to progress while my student is at school (i.e. his brother reek havoc being insane and his mother booby trapping everything since she's evil or someone dying from electrocution or the father who is the leader of the free world setting off a nuclear bomb or something).

Comments

• McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    edited August 2020
    I believe the popup you're referring to is NRAAS turning off EA's story progression (as it replaces it)

As for turning off SP for certain households I believe this should be doable by getting creative with the castes. (create a caste 'NoSP' or something) then disable all the SP options for that caste, add household to caste. maybe the grand wizard of NRAAS himself can elaborate further. If you say his name three times and click your heels he may summon. igazor, igazor, @igazor

ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    It's just weird that when I load up TS3, and select that save and family to play, it goes to my University Sim. I checked the EA options for story progression and it's ON. As for setting up SP per household, the amazing magical @igazor helped me get that setup which is how I'm playing my six families rotationally like I could in TS2. University has thrown me off because I don't understand what's happening to my family at home that's still under "progression" in my NRaas settings.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited August 2020
    University is a different world. It will ask you whether you want to have SP work over there, too, like it asks for every world you travel to the first time. Nothing happens to your homeworld and its settings while you are there (all other worlds won't get simulated and are completely frozen in time). All settings are stored in the world files (the *.nhd files you find in your savegame folder).

Turning on SP in the university world has its ups and downs. It helps with having everything work correctly when you return for a second time. On the flip side, students will move into all the empty houses (tip: take the refrigerators out of the houses you want to reserve). Also, make sure to switch the setting under General Options> Options: Household > Manage Homeless to "false", or all the unique pre-made students the game has in its files will get deleted and you will see nothing but pudding faces in the future.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    Thank you Turjan. I also found this on the Fandom wiki: During your Sim's university stay, time will stop in the main neighborhood.

Shew. I won't worry now and just use my "test" Sim to see how this all works. I had it down like clockwork in TS2. This is my first go round with TS3. I didn't like playing University in TS2 but did it go give my Sims more locked wishes and more degree options. We'll see if this makes a difference for my Sim. I noticed when I tried to select the major I wanted him to have, it said he already had that degree. I think that's a EA preset which is annoying.
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    It's just weird that when I load up TS3, and select that save and family to play, it goes to my University Sim. I checked the EA options for story progression and it's ON. As for setting up SP per household, the amazing magical @igazor helped me get that setup which is how I'm playing my six families rotationally like I could in TS2. University has thrown me off because I don't understand what's happening to my family at home that's still under "progression" in my NRaas settings.

It maybe switched on in options, but NRAAS disables it, as it replaces it. :)

Also turjan is correct, was half asleep when I read your first post you're in a completely different world so it doesn't matter :)

But if you ever wanted to turn SP off for certain households in same world, castes would be the way to do it :)
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I think most of the questions here have been answered already, except for the one about why igazor doesn't respond to being paged while he is sleeping. :)

NRaas SP doesn't pay any attention to the Game Options checkbox for story progression. Where this matters is that if the checkbox is on and NRaas SP is totally disabled, then EA's story progression takes over. If the checkbox is off and NRaas SP is totally disabled, then there in no progression system in control.

EA's story progression doesn't function in Uni World.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net