Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason I'll be harder on Sims than Paralives.

Comments

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »
    as far as I know the modders on Para's discord has said Alex will turn down every offer from big companies EA or otherwise I believe.

I hope that he sticks to his guns. These days, indie games are where it's at. They're passion projects and nine times out of ten, the better ones have more ingenuity, imagination, and replayability than some of the biggest AAA games.

That said, Unless Masse and team are further along than they've hinted at, I still expect Paralive to take several years to complete. Other very popular indie games, with teams of comparable size, have remained in early access for years before the full release. However, I'm not in a hurry. I'd rather wait several years for a great game than one or two years for a poor or mediocre one.

They hit 36,000 a month after some drama so enough to hire some more people with Alice being the newest one.

That is good.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    The skin on the parafolk still looks kind of flat but have you seen pre-alpha Sims? They also looked weird. I'm sure they're going to modify a few things.

I can be a true pain in the backside when it comes to reviewing and criticizing aesthetics. Nobody ever likes me for that. :#
    The environment and shading/lighting looks wonderful though. I also understand many people are already in love with the look of the parafolk, although I can see their potential of looking even better.
    I would be surprised if they didn’t get modified. By giving them a few tweaks here and there, these characters will look truly awesome. It’s only my opinion though. And I think the guys and gals at Paralives are doing a great job so far.

I think they will at least make them a pinch more detailed so the game holds up to today's standards. But you know this is also a thing they need to be careful about. Paralives will most likely be released during the next Sims Generation (2+ years from now) and will have to compete with the Sims 5. Now even though it could easily go up against Sims 4 (at least graphically) you never know what EA has in store for the Sims 5 so if Paralives wants to succeed they should try to evolve the game as much as possible.

However I have to admit I really was not expecting them to be showcasing such good content in such short amounts of time. If it's true then it's remarkable for a team of what 5-6 people? For their first project ever together this is indeed good stuff.
    Thing is, if they add too much detail with graphics, people will complain about it being too realistic and uncanny valley and running slow on their computers. I do think it looks more modern than the Sims 4 with lighting and graphics personally because of while Sims 4 choose to use their low poly on shapes of objects, Paralives chooses to use low poly in the texturing of objects rather than the low poly shapes. I rather have smooth than bumpy for shapes, but just my personal preference. Then again I love low bit and platform games too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    It was nice hearing from Gurus being ok with the project too. I like when gaming companies are open to competition. They said not to be mean to Paralives people too and their communities because both are welcomed. It is like how SimCity got City Skylines. Competition is good for business period.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    > @PlanetSixam said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I understand that you're not fond of TS4 like you were with previous iterations and that's your prerogative, but please don't speak for others. TS4 is my favourite iteration from the franchise, and I have played TS1, TS2 and TS3. I don't think it's perfect by any means, but I've also had the most fun and enjoyment from TS4 than I have with any of the previous games.
    >
    > Like or dislike whatever you want, but it's best to avoid speaking for the whole community.

This !!! right !!! here!!! :) Those of us who LIKE sims 4 , are ALSO valid members of this community <3 <3 <3
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    The skin on the parafolk still looks kind of flat but have you seen pre-alpha Sims? They also looked weird. I'm sure they're going to modify a few things.

I can be a true pain in the backside when it comes to reviewing and criticizing aesthetics. Nobody ever likes me for that. :#
    The environment and shading/lighting looks wonderful though. I also understand many people are already in love with the look of the parafolk, although I can see their potential of looking even better.
    I would be surprised if they didn’t get modified. By giving them a few tweaks here and there, these characters will look truly awesome. It’s only my opinion though. And I think the guys and gals at Paralives are doing a great job so far.

I think they will at least make them a pinch more detailed so the game holds up to today's standards. But you know this is also a thing they need to be careful about. Paralives will most likely be released during the next Sims Generation (2+ years from now) and will have to compete with the Sims 5. Now even though it could easily go up against Sims 4 (at least graphically) you never know what EA has in store for the Sims 5 so if Paralives wants to succeed they should try to evolve the game as much as possible.

However I have to admit I really was not expecting them to be showcasing such good content in such short amounts of time. If it's true then it's remarkable for a team of what 5-6 people? For their first project ever together this is indeed good stuff.
    Thing is, if they add too much detail with graphics, people will complain about it being too realistic and uncanny valley and running slow on their computers. I do think it looks more modern than the Sims 4 with lighting and graphics personally because of while Sims 4 choose to use their low poly on shapes of objects, Paralives chooses to use low poly in the texturing of objects rather than the low poly shapes. I rather have smooth than bumpy for shapes, but just my personal preference. Then again I love low bit and platform games too.

Again better graphics doesn't equal more realistic. The art style might stay the same but they could add more detailed textures etc.
    The Sims in the Sims 4 for example aren't necessarily more realistic than previous games, however they are graphically more demanding.

Did the Gurus actually make a statement on Paralives?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    > @CAPTAIN_NXR7 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I can be a true pain in the backside when it comes to reviewing and criticizing aesthetics. Nobody ever likes me for that. :#
    > The environment and shading/lighting looks wonderful though. I also understand many people are already in love with the look of the parafolk, although I can see their potential of looking even better.
    > I would be surprised if they didn’t get modified. By giving them a few tweaks here and there, these characters will look truly awesome. It’s only my opinion though. And I think the guys and gals at Paralives are doing a great job so far.

**Im personally, not a fan of the parafolk themselves. they just arent for me. maybe their aesthetic will improve over time, idk. but , unless they improve by leaps and bounds, im saving my $$$ The parafolk look less advanced and simpler than their environment that they live in. I always go "Wow!" at how pretty the objects/lighting/world looks and then everything falls flat when i look at the Parafolks themselves. im ALWAYS going to buy every sims game though. And i personally, think no game will ever top any Sims title, for me personally. The Sims is where my home is, as far as simulation goes :) ** It will be VERY hard to top that.
    > @ZazzyKittyn said:
    > For me the only competition that the Sims has is the Sim themselves
    > ParaLives is just going to be another life simulation game that is hoping to steal players from other life simulation games and indie games
    > From what I have seen/ read yeah everything is better than Sims 4 but am I going to hop on the bus no cause I will want what they say and see in the trailers just like I did when they released the trailers of all the Sims games and then be disappointed cause it wasn't like the trailers promised
    >
    > If they release a demo will play it and if it keeps my attention like Sims 1 to 4 does and Sims mobile will buy
    > But if it doesn't like Sims Free Play and other mobile life simulation games that has been around since the 80's when first started playing life simulation games then won't get
    >
    > Yes the Sims 4 is not a perfect game and for many not worth being played but I do enjoy playing it even though wish that their was an opportunity you can change the patterns colours materials for our clothing and we had a world creator and that the Sims had more personality but the devs are not the same so they will want to put their own out
    >
    > If and when we get Sims 5 would love to see my favourite things about the Sims from all four editions in it and hope that they incorporate most the of the packs into the base game like babies toddlers vampires aliens witches maybe mermaids cars more personality colour wheel or another way we can change the clothing hair and a world creator and most of all not a multi and online game cause that is not what the Sims is
    > As for this bashing other versions cause you don't care for one over the other would love for it all to stop just keep note the reason why we are here is cause we love the Sims and their is one edition of the Sims we love over the rest
    > All we can do is hope that by the time the last pack of Sims 4 is out and been out for a couple months there are no bugs and crashing and if and when Sims 5 is released that most the of the bugs have been fixed so that they wouldn't have to release any patches within a couple weeks

:) Sims 5 is going to be insanely good . And Im very excited for it! In fact....because i know that it will be more advanced and the characters and graphics will be up to my standards. I don't think any other indie simulation game would be a good investment for me.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2020
    Cynna wrote: »
    as far as I know the modders on Para's discord has said Alex will turn down every offer from big companies EA or otherwise I believe.

I hope that he sticks to his guns. These days, indie games are where it's at. They're passion projects and nine times out of ten, the better ones have more ingenuity, imagination, and replayability than some of the biggest AAA games.

That said, Unless Masse and team are further along than they've hinted at, I still expect Paralive to take several years to complete. Other very popular indie games, with teams of comparable size, have remained in early access for years before the full release. However, I'm not in a hurry. I'd rather wait several years for a great game than one or two years for a poor or mediocre one.

They hit 36,000 a month after some drama so enough to hire some more people with Alice being the newest one.

True. Yet, another favorite indie game of mine has nearly twenty members in their team, IIRC. It's taking them five years or more to finish a game that isn't nearly as complicated as a life simulation has to be. That's why I said that it depends on how far along Masse is right now, today. Some of the things that he and other team members have said gives me the feeling that a lot of the simulation part is still in the planning stages and haven't been pinned down yet.

Not to mention that, in the scheme of things, $36,000/monthly for a team is a drop in the bucket. If they're working at Paralives full-time, they're working for peanuts. That has got to be very difficult.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I'm more excited for Paralives than I have been since the Trailer for TS2 and after that, houseboats, waterskiing, and scuba diving for Island Living. I'm behind the team one hundred percent. However, I'm also trying to be realistic about their timeframe as well.

I want a great game, not a rushed one. I wish the Paralives team good luck and godspeed.

I tend to agree. A lot of the objects that I've seen in Paralives are more high-poly than what I've generally seen in TS4. For example, the rocking chair in NK makes me feel like weeping. It's so danged clunky and ugly. (And a parent still can't rock their toddler or baby in it. I assume that particular function has been saved for a later date. Possibly, it will come in a paid pack, who knows. It's always a waiting and a guessing game with TS4.)

Anyway, back on topic. It's a lot easier, I should think, for members of the community to create better textures for an object than it would be to have to start from scratch by building a more pleasing, high-poly object. At the least, in my case, it would be less daunting to learn how to make textures than to learn how to mesh.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    [quote="Cynna;c-17596262"][quote="MadameLee;c-17593168"][quote="Cynna;c-17589701"][quote="MadameLee;c-17588773"]as far as I know the modders on Para's discord has said Alex will turn down every offer from big companies EA or otherwise I believe. [/quote]

That said, Unless Masse and team are further along than they've hinted at, I still expect Paralive to take several years to complete. Other very popular indie games, with teams of comparable size, have remained in early access for years before the full release. However, I'm not in a hurry. I'd rather wait several years for a great game than one or two years for a poor or mediocre one.[/quote]

They hit 36,000 a month after some drama so enough to hire some more people with Alice being the newest one. [/quote]

True. Yet, another favorite indie game of mine has nearly twenty members in their team, IIRC. It's taking them five years or more to finish a game that isn't nearly as complicated as a life simulation has to be. That's why I said that it depends on how far along Masse is right now, today. Some of the things that he and other team members have said gives me the feeling that a lot of the simulation part is still in the planning stages and haven't been pinned down yet.

Not to mention that, in the scheme of things, $36,000/monthly for a team is a drop in the bucket. If they're working at Paralives full-time, they're working for peanuts. That has got to be very difficult.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I'm more excited for Paralives than I have been since the Trailer for TS2 and after that, houseboats, waterskiing, and scuba diving for Island Living. I'm behind the team one hundred percent. However, I'm also trying to be realistic about their timeframe as well.

I want a great game, not a rushed one. I wish the Paralives team good luck and godspeed.

[quote="Scobre;c-17595842"]
    Thing is, if they add too much detail with graphics, people will complain about it being too realistic and uncanny valley and running slow on their computers. I do think it looks more modern than the Sims 4 with lighting and graphics personally because of while Sims 4 choose to use their low poly on shapes of objects, Paralives chooses to use low poly in the texturing of objects rather than the low poly shapes. I rather have smooth than bumpy for shapes, but just my personal preference. Then again I love low bit and platform games too.[/quote]

I tend to agree. A lot of the objects that I've seen in Paralives are more high-poly than what I've generally seen in TS4. For example, the rocking chair in NK makes me feel like weeping. It's so danged clunky and ugly. (And a parent still can't rock their toddler or baby in it. I assume that particular function has been saved for a later date. Possibly, it will come in a paid pack, who knows. It's always a waiting and a guessing game with TS4.)

Anyway, back on topic. It's a lot easier, I should think, for members of the community to create better textures for an object than it would be to have to start from scratch by building a more pleasing, high-poly object. At the least, in my case, it would be less daunting to learn how to make textures than to learn how to mesh.
    [/quote]

All of the items from Nifty knitting are very pretty , including the rocking chair imo.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2020

All of the items from Nifty knitting are very pretty , including the rocking chair imo.

That's cool. Different Strokes and all that.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited August 2020

Again better graphics doesn't equal more realistic. The art style might stay the same but they could add more detailed textures etc.
    The Sims in the Sims 4 for example aren't necessarily more realistic than previous games, however they are graphically more demanding.

Yeah on Twitch. Why shouldn't they be? They love playing ACNH too. Gurus do actually play games that aren't the Sims and gamers like us too. ;)

Graphically not more demanding. Sims 3 was graphically more demanding. Sims 4 has memory leaks. Sims 4 actually is one of the lowest spec games on Steam right now compared to other life simulation games. My Farm Together game is more graphically demanding than Sims 4. Stardew Valley is less graphically demanding. Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster are more demanding too.

Sims 4 minimum specs:
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/system-requirements

Compared to other popular game specs:
    https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Compared to other Origin games, Sims 4 is the slowest right after the Witness.
    https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/game-lists/origin-access-games/

I love this video too showing the lighting:
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Yeah on Twitch. Why shouldn't they be? They love playing ACNH too. Gurus do actually play games that aren't the Sims and gamers like us too. ;)

Graphically not more demanding. Sims 3 was graphically more demanding. Sims 4 has memory leaks. Sims 4 actually is one of the lowest spec games on Steam right now compared to other life simulation games. My Farm Together game is more graphically demanding than Sims 4. Stardew Valley is less graphically demanding. Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster are more demanding too.

Sims 4 minimum specs:
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/system-requirements

Compared to other popular game specs:
    https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Compared to other Origin games, Sims 4 is the slowest right after the Witness.
    https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/game-lists/origin-access-games/

I love this video too showing the lighting:

I think though that the Sims 4 is more demanding than the Sims 3 yet the Sims look more cartoony in the Sims 4. I think better graphics could include making sims less "grainy" and give them better (hopefully sims 2 style hair). That could make the game graphically more demanding but also not realistic. I agree the art style needs to stay as "sims" as possible cause the more realistic sims look the weirder the game feels
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    It was nice hearing from Gurus being ok with the project too. I like when gaming companies are open to competition. They said not to be mean to Paralives people too and their communities because both are welcomed. It is like how SimCity got City Skylines. Competition is good for business period.

This is great to hear! I kept expecting EA to slam them with a lawsuit if the project ever took off, the way Mattel did to MGA over Bratz. I’m happy to hear that competition is welcome here. ❤️
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    Paralives just hired another dev! So that 5 down 4 to go
    6adMCGP.gif
    Rouensims wrote: »

This is great to hear! I kept expecting EA to slam them with a lawsuit if the project ever took off, the way Mattel did to MGA over Bratz. I’m happy to hear that competition is welcome here. ❤️
    Nah, it isn't the first time competition has come for the Sims like Second Life and the Sims Online. Yeah with how diverse gaming is, it is nice to have competition for any of the simulation games.
    Paralives just hired another dev! So that 5 down 4 to go

They are also getting 40,00 a month from patron.Im excited.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Having all the Sims 4 packs I am having a great time and it's helping me through self-isolation. They all complement each other though some things could be improved but what game can't? This iteration suits me. I too have had 20 years experience of all and every iteration and pack since 2001.

OP: You are welcome to your own opinions but please don't bring Paralives on here. It's not doing them any good and leading to too much expectation which might not be realised.

edited August 2020
    Simburian wrote: »
    Having all the Sims 4 packs I am having a great time and it's helping me through self-isolation. They all complement each other though some things could be improved but what game can't? This iteration suits me. I too have had 20 years experience of all and every iteration and pack since 2001.

OP: You are welcome to your own opinions but please don't bring Paralives on here. It's not doing them any good and leading to too much expectation which might not be realised.

They said they are a competition for the sims.So I don't they mind being compared.This thread also has been here for a couple months now.
    edited August 2020

They said they are a competition for the sims.So I don't they mind being compared.This thread also has been here for a couple months now.
    I don't mind it either. It is great for business to have competition. I get tired of the social stigma that a Simmer can only play the Sims 4. I am glad that any game can help during self-isolation be it Sims 4 or Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing or in the future Paralives. I have been playing Maxis games longer than many Simmers have been alive since 1993 with SimCity 2000. But I do know that Simburian enjoys other games too and I enjoy his streams that aren't Sims 4 related. Nice to have more than one game in common with someone. I think because Maxis has been along for so long, they are going to get more feedback about their games than indie games that are just starting.

:) I too very much enjoy the Sims 4 and have been a simmer for a long time. I love to read these things from other players . Happy simming!
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited August 2020
    I've seen more improvement in paralives than I have seen in sims and sims is 20 years old. We're still buying the same tired expansions that should be base game material by now, corners have been cut, bugs, missing core gameplay etc. Meanwhile paralives has a height slider, how many times and for how long has the sims community pleaded for a height slider? But this little game with what 2 or 3 people working on it have done so. Ea is billionaire company, cant give you lounge chairs or functional game without bugs but they give you a tv show you didn't ask for. Problem is we tend to rush the things and want them immediat, that's why ea rushed sims 4. we just need to give them as much time as they need. A rushed game is bad, but a delayed game can only get better.
    giphy.gif

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member

I think because Maxis has been along for so long, they are going to get more feedback about their games than indie games that are just starting.
    Idk, but to me Paralives seems gets a share fair of feedback in places like discord. Don't exact difference which receives more, but yeah maybe sims is ahead with that since well its out for consumers not to mention.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2020

I agree as great graphics is not the whole game as gameplay is also part of that equation and while graphics can enhance an player's view of the game being played it alone cannot say how good an game is. However in some cases gameplay can trump good graphics as it did back in the early stages of playing games before graphics became an thing. One does not necessarily need the best graphic to play but for staying power gameplay is just as important. Heck back in the day the sound card was King where if you had SoundBlaster or Turtle Beach and other brands you was King. But it is not as dominant today as graphics now the ruler.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    I've seen more improvement in paralives than I have seen in sims and sims is 20 years old. We're still buying the same tired expansions that should be base game material by now, corners have been cut, bugs, missing core gameplay etc. Meanwhile paralives has a height slider, how many times and for how long has the sims community pleaded for a height slider? But this little game with what 2 or 3 people working on it have done so. Ea is billionaire company, cant give you lounge chairs or functional game without bugs but they give you a tv show you didn't ask for. Problem is we tend to rush the things and want them immediat, that's why ea rushed sims 4. we just need to give them as much time as they need. A rushed game is bad, but a delayed game can only get better.

I really do love the things in Paralives that had been proven to be possible such as gridless building, curved walls, height sliders for the parafolks! And I really want this to inspire EAxis when it comes to developing The Sims 5. It makes me hope that EAxis will add new and fresh innovations for this coming iteration! Makes me excited to see what they'll add to the mix! Plus we still have whatever new ideas that Paradox Tectonic will come up with. This is really a great time for the life simulation genre!

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited August 2020
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

I agree as great graphics is not the whole game as gameplay is also part of that equation and while graphics can enhance an player's view of the game being played it alone cannot say how good an game is. However in some cases gameplay can trump good graphics as it did back in the early stages of playing games before graphics became an thing. One does not necessarily need the best graphic to play but for staying power gameplay is just as important. Heck back in the day the sound card was King where if you had SoundBlaster or Turtle Beach and other brands you was King. But it is not as dominant today as graphics now the ruler.

@Goldmoldar, I believe game developers always made an attempt to create the graphics for their games as good as they possibly could with the available time, technology and budget. Since day one picture and sound were equally important supporting assets to gameplay.

I remember playing the original Prince of Persia as a tiny kid and I was totally in awe of the graphics and the smooth, realistic animation, having learned much later that it was created using a rotoscope technique by tracing a real life actor's motion which was then translated into the game.
    Very much like a 'primitive' version of today's motion capture.
    But this was way before Soundblaster and Turtle Beach got famous for their soundcards & headphones.
    Like in film, sound and visuals share a 50/50% importance and always have.