Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things people dislike about TS4 that you actually like (Reverse Uno)

Comments

• MinaiMinai Posts: 705 Member
    I appreciate the thermostat. I’ve actually longed for a thermostat
    I enjoy holiday traditions and planning my events on the calendar.
    I also enjoy non controllable pets. Dogs are very needy though so it becomes irritating . (A mod fixed that though!)
    I also love that my sims don’t have that general pudding face. That was a real turn off for me and honestly I got tired of looking at my generic creations.
    I love the multitude of channels and movies we can choose from.
    And last but not lease. I adore the lighting in the game.
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,756 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    Things I like:
    -Mermaids as they are (I love the singing and the CAS features!)
    -The Strangerville story. (More please!)
    - The quirky and silly humour (again, more please!)
    -The fact that the game is not realistic (in an industry with so many games dedicated to 18 rated gore, destruction, suffering and gritty 'realistic' drama, it's refreshing to have a game that focuses on creativity and just having a bit of fun).

Yes! My thoughts too!

-Mermaids, I love them. What can I say? ;)
    -Strangerville story. Bad timing for me. I was thinking about getting that pack right as the whole Coronavirus thing hit. But now that I finally did get it, so far I like it.
    -Quirky and silly humour? That doesn't compute. Let me try reticulating the splines... :tongue:
    -For the "realism". I suppose I can relate to this also playing very realistic games over the years. When I found the Sims 4, by chance really, thought I'd try it out. It's a nice change from that so-called realism. Now I'm hooked. :)

I did notice there is a rock song called 'Spline On' in the guitar options.
    Don't know what people will think of me for asking this but what exactly is a spline? (and why do they need reticulating?)
  • ElectraRaiElectraRai Posts: 99 Member
    I like Landgraab family a lot! I usually play with them creating whole dynasty full of drama and shady stuff.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Load screens meaning places are actually populated, being able to go to different worlds on a whim, the art style (I've just done some eye default replacements for more texture), pets not being controllable--makes it interesting like real life, swatches, baby objects, Strangerville, My Pet Stuff (weakest pack to me but not horrible), emotions.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I don't have to slow time down just to get my Sim to his concert. (Yes, I use mods so he can be a singer, but in Sims3, he was almost always late until I started using Twallen's mods.)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Ooh a thread I can get behind!

I agree with the smaller neighborhoods that are semi open with loading screens.

I definitely love the swatches! Sometimes less is more. I found with my brief time with Sims 3 that I got overwhelmed with choice with the Create A Style colour wheel. I think some things need to be updated with more swatches but definitely happy with CAS assets in general.

Cats and Dogs was well made and added some little bits of personality to both Sims and pets.

Get Famous was definitely a great expansion pack.

Occults being released as a separate Game Pack is a really great idea because some Simmers don't like Occults at all.

Movie Hangout Stuff brings a lot of personality and colour to an often very clean cut, minimalist style.

Last cause I'm rambling now. But having the game packs and stuff packs having a very specific style theme is a very good design choice. Yeah maybe everything doesn't match with base game but isn't that kind of the point?
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I'm happy with the number of worlds we have. I feel they are diverse enough to be interesting and I feel like I have enough space.

Loading screens have never bothered me.

Get Famous is actually a really fun expansion.
    giphy.gif
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    I did notice there is a rock song called 'Spline On' in the guitar options.
    Don't know what people will think of me for asking this but what exactly is a spline? (and why do they need reticulating?)

This will show my age... but in Sim City 2000, when randomizing the map before starting to build the city, a voice would say, "Reticulating splines". It was so funny! :D

My guess for the meaning is "randomizing the algorithm". A "spline" in computing mathematics is: "a continuous curve constructed so as to pass through a given set of points and have a certain number of continuous derivatives".

I'm certain the original nerd programmers at Maxis made up "Reticulating". :D "Reticulate" means: "divide or mark (something) in such a way as to resemble a net or network" so reticulating would mean doing that in plural and actively, haha
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    For me it's the cartoony graphics! I don't think folks mind it so much anymore, but I remember back before TS4 came out, a handful of people didn't like how it looked. Personally I think it makes more sense since the Sims themselves are so goofy and cartoony!
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • FamilyFriendFamilyFriend Posts: 24 Member
    I really like the premade sims, I personally think they were created really well
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Premades, the cartoonish look and feel, facial expressions, basegame CAS+build, the game not being Sims 3, the world not being open, all the dishes and not just low-calorie salad, chubby Sims, EA eyelashes, the cheapest toilet, Island Living, Maxis hairstyles, autonomy

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    Sims 4 city living
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    HopeyStarr wrote: »
    I definitely prefer swatches to a colour wheel. I rarely use the colour wheel that came with Cats and Dogs.

And I don't dislike My First Pet SP in the least bit. There are worse things I could spend my money on. And the buy mode objects are so cute.

I wish the swatches between items coordinated a bit better or were more standardized, but I don't mind them. And I actually like My First Pet; the buy mode objects are nice, and if you have Parenthood kids can build Responsibility by taking care of the little rodents. (Would have been fun if they'd lost Responsibility every time their parent had to do the feeding and cage cleaning.) I get the complaints about "DLC for DLC" particularly with the pet objects (useless for those who don't have C&D), but for those whose computers weren't powerful enough for C&D, having small animals in a separate pack was a great option; maybe if it had been a GP there could have been more small pets, like birds or snakes (kids being able to prank siblings by putting a snake in their bed would have been fun >:) )
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I also like the semi-open world, while I also agree on removing the loading screens when visiting your sims' next door neighbors, babies being objects is fine by me, it's kinda like the sims 1, though not as stressful and the emotion system, though the gurus could at least change the length and intensity of the sad moodlets a little bit. I also think it is weird when people say that you can't do much with babies, when we have more interactions with them than in earlier games, granted I do want the ability to sing to them like in TS1 back. I also think the personality traits DO impact the gameplay to a CERTAIN extent.

The object babies are an easy way to build Parenting skill if you have Parenthood, especially in the early levels of the skill. You can usually get up to level 3 or so just taking care of the baby for a few days.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Tall Teens, Babies stuck to the crib, and the launch version of the careers.

I like that Teens are more on the 15-to-17-year-old side than the 13-to-15-year-old side height-wise this time around. Sure, it could be confusing in the beginning sometimes because they didn't put the age tag on sims until sometime after launch, but with the age tag, everything's gravy. And before anyone goes "Oh, but Teens should be shorter because my kid was 16 and not up to their final height yet," I was at my final adult height at about 15. Many young men might not hit their full stature until their early 20's, but most young women hit their adult maximum between 15 and 18 years old...and, yes, some teenaged boys are very tall for their age. My big brother was around 6 feet (~183 cm.) before he was even out of high school. So, yeah, I'm really comfortable with the tall Teens, and I just don't get why so many people can't wrap their head around the idea of a teenager being around the same height as a grown adult.

As for the Babies, my experiences with sims (even in a game with no active script mods, mind you) putting the Babies on the floor if they weren't near a crib and wanted to go do something else besides hold the little ankle-biter really do color my perception of this topic. I never really liked Babies in this franchise, since they don't really do any of the interesting things actual babies do and aren't even available as playable sims. TS2, they were always ending up on the floor and a ton of time was wasted toting them all around the house to get to the fridge to feed them if I didn't do my ultimate nursery set-up (crib, changing table, fridge, trash can/garbage chute, attached to a bathroom with a counter-bound sink, right next to the parents' room); TS3, they're blanket burritos; TS4, they finally realized that most people just leave the kid in the crib 99.9% of the time anyway and glued them there. That's it. Babies have always been treated like objects in this franchise. Always. They were just more portable in TS2 and TS3, so it was easier to pull the wool over people's eyes. They'll always be objects until the day when they are made playable, with skills and personalities of their own. So, yeah, keep 'em glued to the crib unless you're gonna make them into fun playable characters.

Finally, the launch version of the careers (pre-Get to Work Patch) was a lot of fun to me. I didn't care that my sims might not be able to max a career on normal or short lifespan. I play on long or with aging off most of the time. I liked that the career levels gave you specific, custom challenges for leveling up instead of just the same generic "hit X level of X skill and have X many family friends" that TS2 had for every single job. I liked that I had to make my sim go out of their way to hit certain career milestones. I really enjoyed the challenge. But, because a few wimps just couldn't cope with even a mild amount of challenging game design, it was nerfed down to "hit X level in X skill," and the game is worse off for it. They didn't even give us difficulty modes. No, nerfed for everyone, even the people who were actually enjoying it. Thanks, filthy casuals...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited August 2020
    Accidental double-post. Delete.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    I like how the schools are a rabbithole and I don't have to deal with it. In Sims 2 I was always nervous when my sims had the dinner with the private school principal. I had always feared that my home wasn't fancy enough for him and he would denied my sim children because of it. Sometimes this fear became true.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited August 2020
    I think family play is pretty deep now, with holidays, and the toddler & kid stuff pack a as well as parenthood and now the ability for adults to teach kids to knit, kids can make candles too. Not that I wouldn’t welcome even more additions I just don’t understand the complaints that it’s lacking.

I like teens the way they are.

I don’t want height sliders, it makes the sims proportions look weird. Even the one in the Paralives preview was weird to me. She didn’t look like a short woman, she looked like she’d been hit with a shrink ray.

• KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    Sticking babies in a bassinet and not letting them be moved was an A+ decision. Other than bathing them there isn't a single bathing you can't do them with them in 4 that you could do in past games, and now I don't have to constantly check someone hasn't randomly placed them on the floor.

I like the emotions and think they work fine.
  • jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    - I really like the smaller worlds (could be a bit more lively perhaps but)
    - Loading screens are much better than larger worlds. I hated it in Sims 3 that getting from point A to B took "hours." And I hated that the household kept doing their own business, so I had to control the traveling Sim AND the family.
    - Color swatches. The Create A Style was so bothersome to use and made the game slow.
    - Lightning. The Sims 3 world lightning was so bright and bloomy that playing the game gave me a headache sometimes. Also made the game look blurry (to me at least).

That's all that came to my mind.
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2020
    Mine is super unpopular.
    DLC for DLC yep I said the forbidden word. Want to expand on mermaids? Want to give us more little critters? Better aliens? More clothes? I'll buy ALL the DLC!

But sims is the only game I'm willing to do that for because it's the only one that literally "expands" and it's something I have been, and will be playing for years. If I can spend 40 dollars for a one time pizza order I will gladly spend 40 on something I will be using for years to come.
    Not that they should take advantage of course.

Beautiful sims! Most say aesthetics doesn't matter as long as game play is superior but....👀
    One of my favorite pastimes is to make beautiful sims of all colors shapes and sizes.

I feel 50/50 about color wheel. I tried it out in sims 3 and it's totalllllllllly awesome. BUT I got so consumed, so confused and so focused on perfect color and patterns I must have spent days just designing. Swatches give me peace of mind. But we do need BETTER and more swatches.

Don't want preteens teens are perfect, though I would love a optional height slider because it makes it more realistic and immersive to have all different heights. I use height mod now.
    I love the options teens have available just by being the same size. Though I do get where people are coming from.

Mermaids get a lot of hate but I LOVE them. The only thing they had better in sims 3 was an underwater lot. In sims 4 you can easily become one, unbecome one, make them in cas,they are extremely pleasing to my eyes and I adore making and playing with them. I have done so many stories around them. 😃 I'm still giving kudos to the team for not making island living a vacation world like many wanted.

Oh and the overall simplicity of sims 4 which most say is too simple. One thing I noticed about sims 3 is that it is a VERY complex game. Just figuring things out is challenging. Most people like that. I enjoy the simplicity. Not to say I don't want more depth but the mechanics of how everything works and is put together is what I like to be simple.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Teens look nearly adult and can "mess around"? Fine.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The lack of depth in some of the gameplay. Sometimes I just want to play a nice easy game with no challenge. Also I like the whole happy vibe to it as it is my escapism from real life.
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    Love this thread! Most of the bigs ones for me (family play, semi-open world, world manager, swatches >>> color wheel) have already been mentioned, so I'll add:

The MAC makeup, especially the blush and the lipstick but I appreciate the eye stuff too. I use them all the time in my game :)

The way townies look and dress. It's obviously a random system, and I'm fine with it - it's part of townies' charm lol!
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,324 Member
    edited August 2020
    I like that when sims are done interacting with babies they put them back where they belong instead of leaving them in random places.

In Sims 3, I had this kind of problem a lot...

Baby-in-the-way.jpg

By the way, he put that baby there himself because he wanted to play soccer. And then he complained that he couldn't play soccer because the baby was in the way. :lol::joy:

Having more options for places to keep babies (strollers, blanket, playpen etc.) would be nice. But I am totally okay with it the way it is. Because no more sims blocking their own paths with random baby placement.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".