Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Knitting Skill - Difficultly & Levels

my Sim just sat down to knit her very first Beanie, on her own, having never picked up her needles before.

Now knitting a beanie in roughly the time between lunch and dinner is pretty fast for any knitter, let alone a beginner, but what I really didn't expect was for my Sim to achieve level 4 of the knitting skill by the time she finished her first garment. The quality is normal- im relieved it isnt excellent.... but I'd kind of expected the first couple of knits to be poor quality, just like when you start out cooking.

Is my Sim mysteriously talented with supersim style skill gains or is knitting just too easy? I was looking forward to the challenge to be honest, as I worked my way through every variation of every knittable item, but im worried that by the time I get to my second sock of my first pair (second sock syndrome anyone?!) I will already have maxed out the knitting skill!

So tell me please, after you finished your first beanie what skill level was your knitter?

Comments

• pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
    I think I only get to level 2 after the first beanie, but, overall the skill goes up REALLY fast. On the other hand, this is probably a glitch but reading the knitting skill book doesn't raise the skill at all.
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    the first thing my sim knitted was normal quality and she donated it ..the next item was poor quality and she frogged it...the skill does go up quickly but if you use the new aspiration it adds some longevity to your new found skill....in the mean time ...there is so much to do that my sim is not skilling up like a mad hatter...pun intended..but she could be. When she finished her first beanie she was level 2 i think
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 872 Member
    my Sim just sat down to knit her very first Beanie, on her own, having never picked up her needles before.

Now knitting a beanie in roughly the time between lunch and dinner is pretty fast for any knitter, let alone a beginner, but what I really didn't expect was for my Sim to achieve level 4 of the knitting skill by the time she finished her first garment. The quality is normal- im relieved it isnt excellent.... but I'd kind of expected the first couple of knits to be poor quality, just like when you start out cooking.

Is my Sim mysteriously talented with supersim style skill gains or is knitting just too easy? I was looking forward to the challenge to be honest, as I worked my way through every variation of every knittable item, but im worried that by the time I get to my second sock of my first pair (second sock syndrome anyone?!) I will already have maxed out the knitting skill!

So tell me please, after you finished your first beanie what skill level was your knitter?

Yeah I got to level 2 and it was normal quality. I'm also not having problems selling my stuff on Plopsy either, a lot of folks seem to be having issues.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I am super envious that my knitter sim made a beanie and a pair of crew socks in one morning before leaving for work at 10am. That would take me a week or two, unless I did nothing but eat, sleep and knit! But I figure one day in their world is at least a few weeks in ours. But yes, she reached skill level 2 halfway through that beanie and it was normal quality. I was more focused in whether or not the cats were going to play with the yarn balls (they haven’t yet) and then real life got in the way so I haven’t played as long as I’d like to yet.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    One sim was level 2 after the first beanie but I had another sim that made a poor quality beanie and didn’t go past 1. Level 4 does seem a bit high for only one item...hmmm.
  • Kathy090660Kathy090660 Posts: 813 Member
    Well I cheated the skill so I can knit everything, I love this pack I made a toy store and put the Knitted objects In it so all my sims can go buy them . I think the colors are so pretty and go great in the kids rooms
    newsims4siggg_zps62d6d1ba.png

A Rainbow is a promise of God
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    It seems to go up even faster if you let one sim teach another. The mom in the household i am playing was teaching her daughter who does not have the skill yet, after just few hours she reached level 3 already. I guess it is better this way if you want to level up many sims as fast as you can.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited July 2020
    I don't have Nifty Knitting yet, but skill gain in general can be boosted by a couple of things.

What mood was your sim in? Being in the right mood/emotion can make a sim skill up faster. The skill bar will glow in the colour associated with that emotion when this happens.

And does you sim live in a tiny house with the skill boost?
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • GraniteFallsLover123GraniteFallsLover123 Posts: 26 Member
    I also felt like the skill went up super quickly. My sim did live in a tiny house though so they got extra skills. But then I moved them out of the tiny house and the skill level still went up very fast. I knit in real life and it took so long to get to a point where I didn't have to start over a dozen times or get my mom to fix it.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    In the videos of gameplay-overview it looks like you are leveling too fast for me.

I wish it felt more like a challenge. I already use a mod from Zero to slow down the rate at which my spellcaster levels up and that made it feel much more enjoyable for me. I had to actively plan to get some magic done in order to see results. I would like to see the same thing with knitting.

This skill won’t be fun for me unless I can make it feel a bit more like you are learning from your previous knits. That it takes a few finished objects to get better.

A new mod to slow it down or Triplis adding the knitting-skill to the mod that makes it possible to lock that skill. Otherwise I will not buy this Stuff Pack.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Mine aren't levelling that fast but they might not have been in the optimum mood. In a family of 3 knitters, I was surprised to see the dad get a moodlet that he was bored of knitting, and he then refused to do any more. It reminded me of the toddler moodlet when they get bored of blocks or flashcards.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    My sim knitted two beanies and a pair of socks in one day but was only level 2 part way through and didn't reach level 3 yet.

Her grown daughter got bored of knitting after the first beanie and didn't want to knit anymore lol. I wonder if that depends on their traits.
    My sim knitted two beanies and a pair of socks in one day but was only level 2 part way through and didn't reach level 3 yet.

Her grown daughter got bored of knitting after the first beanie and didn't want to knit anymore lol. I wonder if that depends on their traits.

Ohh... now I am intrigued. This sounds really interesting :)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Mine didn't level that fast either but there are lots of traits sims can have including lot traits or bonuses that can make that happen or help it along though. Usually the first levels also happen faster then it slows down. I played basically all day (real time) to get my sim to level 10 (stopping to gift and do other gameplay like take care of cats, garden, work on the aspiration(s) and further my story for my knitter). I even cheated her needs up frequently. I'm not worried about it being too easy for sure.
    egTcBMc.png
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    edited August 2020
    I Wonder if having a creative or genius trait helps them gain the skill faster. Or the creative lot traits.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    At what level can sims start knitting clothes? My knitting sim is on level 4 but she can only knit socks and beanies. Also, the stuff she knitted does not have the unlocked icon, they are still grey even after she added them to the wardrobe. What am I doing wrong?
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Mine didn't level that fast either but there are lots of traits sims can have including lot traits or bonuses that can make that happen or help it along though. Usually the first levels also happen faster then it slows down. I played basically all day (real time) to get my sim to level 10 (stopping to gift and do other gameplay like take care of cats, garden, work on the aspiration(s) and further my story for my knitter). I even cheated her needs up frequently. I'm not worried about it being too easy for sure.

Thank you!

Was so worried that it would go up too quickly. Will get after I got mods and stuff checked.
  • annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    i think we have probably solved the mystery- i forgot that my sim, who is a legacy sim, has all of the toddler and childhood reward traits and probably quite a few whim point traits too, plus i had her sat on a rocking chair and listening to the focus station :D no wonder she was racking up so many points!!! No tiny living lot traits but there might have been some other creative lot traits, i will have a look later! It just didnt occur to me really as i built those traits up ages ago and hadnt really thought about how things would stack up!