Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR Nifty Knitting Review

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Missmagoo2 wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Didn't we vote on the content and already knew what was going to be in the pack?

Kinda but not really. I'm pretty sure we voted for Arts and Crafts. But then that was whittled down so much we were left with just knitting.

We voted specificially for knitting though.... We voted Arts and Crafts as the main title and then when it had the list of 5 ideas for each category and it said "If this pack wins which subtheme should the pack be based on" we voted knitting. Arts and Crafts one, and the knitting category within it won.

This is how I remember it as well. We voted for knitting theme in the Arts and Crafts category. It was always going to be just one hobby.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    CBit7fd.jpg

"The Stuff Pack will include the top voted gameplay feature from the top voted theme." They were upfront about it from the very beginning.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited August 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    But yes, knitting could have been a part of EL and it kinda looks like it was supposed to be. That is a more valid criticism than that we didn't get what we voted for. Because, well, we did.

@SimTrippy I think what people are trying to say is that even though we were able to vote, we didn't really have the choice if the arts and crafts pack would be an EP or GP. They decided themselves it was going to be an SP. They also decided on the subthemes themselves. We didn't really have any other option.
    Of course we got what we voted for but for many that didn't mean we wanted the things we voted for. It just meant the were the best of the options we were offered. There is a difference.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited August 2020
    Simburian wrote: »
    I think he only gave it a cursory glance, not saying anything about the desks joining etc. He's probably only done it because someone asked him to. He doesn't need Sims anymore I think.

That said, I'm giving my Elderly Sims a holiday in Sulani. They've got the tents and camping equipment for a weekend stay and enjoying the occasional visit to the Spa there, knitting in their rocking chairs on the decking outside, watching the kids on the swings, making sandcastles or swimming. Cheers! <3

He may not need Sims anymore but they still account for some of his highest viewing videos. ROM has 686,000 views and Moschino has 443,000 views. Parenthood had 1.1 million views. Discover University 980,000 views.
    But yes, knitting could have been a part of EL and it kinda looks like it was supposed to be. That is a more valid criticism than that we didn't get what we voted for. Because, well, we did.

@SimTrippy I think what people are trying to say is that even though we were able to vote, we didn't really have the choice if the arts and crafts pack would be an EP or GP. They decided themselves it was going to be an SP. They also decided on the subthemes themselves. We didn't really have any other option.
    Of course we got what we voted for but for many that didn't mean we wanted the things we voted for. It just meant the were the best of the options we were offered. There is a difference.

Well, this is how voting goes. Some people propose, other people vote. How were we supposed to vote if they didn't put forth the themes for us to vote on?
    I think he only gave it a cursory glance, not saying anything about the desks joining etc. He's probably only done it because someone asked him to. He doesn't need Sims anymore I think.

That said, I'm giving my Elderly Sims a holiday in Sulani. They've got the tents and camping equipment for a weekend stay and enjoying the occasional visit to the Spa there, knitting in their rocking chairs on the decking outside, watching the kids on the swings, making sandcastles or swimming. Cheers! <3

He may not need Sims anymore but they still account for some of his highest viewing videos. ROM has 686,000 views and Moschino has 443,000 views. Parenthood had 1.1 million views. Discover University 980,000 views.

@simgirl1010 He never said he didn't need or like The Sims, he just offers his point of view on a game he cares about and has said it several times. Also people agree with him or they wouldn't watch, like his videos but he also has a big following with his vintage electronics videos and gets as many views on those.
    I think this comment was really not neccesary.

Well, this is how voting goes. Some people propose, other people vote. How were we supposed to vote if they didn't put forth the themes for us to vote on?

@crocobaura Maybe read community threads, communicate with the audience, ask and evaluate feedback or even make open surveys like Paralives. They knew we wanted firefighters and we didn't vote on that so I guess they would be able to listen if they wanted to
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    @SimmerGeorge

There is movie hangout... there is bowling night... there is even my first pet stuff... there is spooky stuff seperated from seasons...

Call me boring but i love movie and bowling and use it on a regular basis... just for my sims to have somewhere to go, a date...
    As i said it gives you a tool to tell a different story and for some that is just fine.

Do i think the Sims 4 became a cashgrab. Of course but never have i ever payed full price for these packs or even the sims4 after they didnt even had toodlers in the basegame...
    But its the Sims that can be used for storytelling and i do enjoy it. Its what you make out of it and you can make it a fun time if you really get into the groove while downloading mods xD

Sims 4 and something bigger?!... i dont have that expectation anymore. Maybe thats why i am okay with it. Because i know the sims4 focuses more on asthetics then gameplay. In some areas it feels like playing a mobile game.
    It was always clear that we wont vote for a full blown arts and crafts stuff pack with four gameplay ideas. Sims4 could never.

@crocobaura Maybe read community threads, communicate with the audience, ask and evaluate feedback or even make open surveys like Paralives. They knew we wanted firefighters and we didn't vote on that so I guess they would be able to listen if they wanted to

Asking for opinions is fine in a small community like Paralives, the sims community is huge and everyone seems to want something different.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited August 2020
    Even though a lot of us can agree the stuff packs and other dlc is lacking I don't think that's an excuse to be complacent about it. Saying "at least its not as bad as My First Pet Stuff" and still buying it is so sad to me. Even if it's on sale, I'm not going to buy it if I feel like it's a waste.

I just can't get behind the idea of "well at least its not X". Like its a crazy rich company that knows and has the potential to make great games that are worth your money and interest. Why settle for less? Why say, "well it won't get any better". I have mix feelings about the future of the Sims, but I still am not going to defend packs or lackluster content because of despondency.

But f you feel like its worth your money, do you. For me, it's not, not by a long shot. I get so much more joy out of the older games because I get the feeling they cared about it.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

Asking for opinions is fine in a small community like Paralives, the sims community is huge and everyone seems to want something different.

@crocobaura Again they have enough staff to do research and also guess what they know what we want. They knew about toddlers and firefighters and you name it. We didn't vote on those stuff though. They could if they tried.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Didn't we vote on the content and already knew what was going to be in the pack?

Kinda but not really. I'm pretty sure we voted for Arts and Crafts. But then that was whittled down so much we were left with just knitting.

We voted specificially for knitting though.... We voted Arts and Crafts as the main title and then when it had the list of 5 ideas for each category and it said "If this pack wins which subtheme should the pack be based on" we voted knitting. Arts and Crafts one, and the knitting category within it won.

People voted for the Arts and Crafts thinking it'd be a broader theme. Then when we were told how narrowed down it'd be, we had to "pick our poison". Basically, none of the options we were given at the end were what we were told to expect in the beginning. We voted for the option that would "suck" the least
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited August 2020
    bixters wrote: »

Again many people (like me) voted for art and crafts. Once EA narrowed it down so much that we went from arts and crafts to just knitting or just sculpting I was dissapointed but I still voted for the least terrible choice. If I was able to create a pack I would not really choose a pack about knitting. It's just with this survey system we don't have much say, they give us the options and we choose which one we find the best but we are never able to maybe suggest an idea.
    It's like someone asking "do you want a blue or a pink T-shirt?" and you're like "I want a gray sweater" "well bad luck cause you don't get that option"
    Also look at the ratio. They are spending sooooo much time and money into making 17 whole stuff packs and we haven't had a game pack since RoM and before EL the last EP was released in November of 2019. After 6 years we've had 9 EPs 8 GPs and 17(!!) SPs.

Also LGR can review the pack with whatever criteria he wants. If he thinks the whole concept of the pack is not worth it then no matter how much stuff the pack actually has, it still doesn't make it better and I agree with that. His review helped me.

@Missmagoo2 The very first original vote though, specifically said we'd only get ONE of the things listed under the Arts and Crafts heading, and which ONE would we want IF Arts and Crafts won. It wasn't like it was whittled down AFTER in a second vote or anything, it was the FIRST vote that decided on "knitting". We knew from the very first page of the first survey that we would only get ONE of the arts/crafts or if happy haunts won ONE of the happy haunts suggestions, or if Fitness won we'd only get ONE of the fitness items, etc.

I can see it if they had a second vote to pick the subcategory after but they didn't. And yeah, SP's are smaller and quicker to make, I can see it makes sense to have more of them. The team doing SP's probably can make more faster.

But yeah, LGR can do wahtever he wants, I don't care, I disagree with him, but I usually do and I don't trust his reviews, I don't think he's as honest as other youtubers. That being said personally I wouldn't get a pack on recommendation of ANY youtuber, I just get them if I personallly like the pack after looking what it has to offer (and don't if I don't), as even my favourite youtubers I disagree with most their pack opinions. I watch the reviews to see what's in the pack and how it works, but not what the reviewers opinion is of it.

That's not to say my way is the "best" way because I do NOT think that haha. I get both ways, if you agree with 99% of something someone says, they going by their recommeendation on packs and if they like it or not makes total sense! It's a smart way to purchase in my opinion. It's just that in my case, I usually disagree with most youtubers and it's not always about the same thing, some I disagree with most the time but other's it's like 50% of the time, and I'd probably make a lot of mistakes if I went by their recommendations hahaha! I haven't found any that I agree with "Most" of the time, so I gotta just make up my own mind and ignore opinions! There's already a few packs that I regret buying (Spa Day, Discover University, Bowling Stuff) and I don't have money to buy more I don't like just cuz loads of people do so I've stopped listening to others opinions on them if that makes sense.
    PreCiious wrote: »
    @SimmerGeorge

There is movie hangout... there is bowling night... there is even my first pet stuff... there is spooky stuff seperated from seasons...

Call me boring but i love movie and bowling and use it on a regular basis... just for my sims to have somewhere to go, a date...
    As i said it gives you a tool to tell a different story and for some that is just fine.

Do i think the Sims 4 became a cashgrab. Of course but never have i ever payed full price for these packs or even the sims4 after they didnt even had toodlers in the basegame...
    But its the Sims that can be used for storytelling and i do enjoy it. Its what you make out of it and you can make it a fun time if you really get into the groove while downloading mods xD

Sims 4 and something bigger?!... i dont have that expectation anymore. Maybe thats why i am okay with it. Because i know the sims4 focuses more on asthetics then gameplay. In some areas it feels like playing a mobile game.
    It was always clear that we wont vote for a full blown arts and crafts stuff pack with four gameplay ideas. Sims4 could never.

I get it but personally I just refuse to support something that I think is a cash grab because I know if I support it, then I'll get more of it. So I don't buy things I am not fully satisfied with.
    If you don't have a problem with supporthing something you think is a cash grab (even buying on sale generates tons of revenue or they woudln't have so many sales) the you can go ahead.

@crocobaura Again they have enough staff to do research and also guess what they know what we want. They knew about toddlers and firefighters and you name it. We didn't vote on those stuff though. They could if they tried.

Yes, they know about big requests and they didn't put them up for a vote because they knew they were going to bring them into the game soon. We rarely get to vote on anything anyway, and that's because they don't have enough staff to find out what every simmer wants to see in the game.

People voted for the Arts and Crafts thinking it'd be a broader theme. Then when we were told how narrowed down it'd be, we had to "pick our poison". Basically, none of the options we were given at the end were what we were told to expect in the beginning. We voted for the option that would "suck" the least
    That’s not how it happened. Rewind to my last post in this thread, looks like you didn’t read it back then or now.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member

@simgirl1010 He never said he didn't need or like The Sims, he just offers his point of view on a game he cares about and has said it several times. Also people agree with him or they wouldn't watch, like his videos but he also has a big following with his vintage electronics videos and gets as many views on those.
    I think this comment was really not neccesary.

I am well aware of his other videos. I subscribe to his thrifting and cooking videos. He may care about the franchise but I don't believe he cares about the Sims 4. I watch and I don't always agree with him. I do find him entertaining.
    Yes, they know about big requests and they didn't put them up for a vote because they knew they were going to bring them into the game soon. We rarely get to vote on anything anyway, and that's because they don't have enough staff to find out what every simmer wants to see in the game.

@crocobaura 6 years is not really "soon" to me though. 6 years for firefighters... And some massively requested features are still not in the game after soooo long.
    I am not talking about making everything people want but there are highly requested stuff. It's a fact, yet they still ignore those requests. They don't even comment on them

@crocobaura 6 years is not really "soon" to me though. 6 years for firefighters... And some massively requested features are still not in the game after soooo long.
    I am not talking about making everything people want but there are highly requested stuff. It's a fact, yet they still ignore those requests. They don't even comment on them

They can read the forums and see what people want to be added to the game. Some may be added, some not. This time they actually decide to let people vote and you're not happy with the outcome, it just proves my point that they can never make everyone happy. As for the firefighters, they're useless. They cannot enter the property if the door is locked and if your sim lives alone, he's as good as dead even if you have the fire alarm.

They can read the forums and see what people want to be added to the game. Some may be added, some not. This time they actually decide to let people vote and you're not happy with the outcome, it just proves my point that they can never make everyone happy. As for the firefighters, they're useless. They cannot enter the property if the door is locked and if your sim lives alone, he's as good as dead even if you have the fire alarm.

@crocobaura I don't think you understood my point though. One of the top comments in LGR's review video explains it better, maybe read that if I am not making myself clear enough.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    edited August 2020
    babajayne wrote: »

That’s not how it happened. Rewind to my last post in this thread, looks like you didn’t read it back then or now.

Dec 2019 - "In today’s Maxis Monthly live stream, The Sims team gave a first look at the upcoming “Arts and Crafts” design styles players will be voting on starting December 23rd. During the upcoming community vote players can choose from “Granny Sleek”, “Cozy Craft Workshop” and “Do-it-Yourself (DYI) Delight”. Check out a first look at these styles below!"

Yes, we absolutely KNEW it was going to be a stuff pack. But they kept breaking it down even further than what we had really wanted. We wanted arts and crafts! But they wanted to break it down so much that it's just blah
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

Dec 2019 - "In today’s Maxis Monthly live stream, The Sims team gave a first look at the upcoming “Arts and Crafts” design styles players will be voting on starting December 23rd. During the upcoming community vote players can choose from “Granny Sleek”, “Cozy Craft Workshop” and “Do-it-Yourself (DYI) Delight”. Check out a first look at these styles below!"

The first thing I voted for was the arts and crafts. THEN they downgraded it even more to these three options. And even THEN they cut it down to just knitting. From the get-go, they were NOT clear that it would just be a SINGLE theme. They made it seem like it was going to be more than it was

This.

@crocobaura I don't think you understood my point though. One of the top comments in LGR's review video explains it better, maybe read that if I am not making myself clear enough.

Well, then no need to dwell on this any further.

The first thing I voted for was the arts and crafts. THEN they downgraded it even more to these three options. And even THEN they cut it down to just knitting. From the get-go, they were NOT clear that it would just be a SINGLE theme. They made it seem like it was going to be more than it was
    Knitting had already been decided on before the design style vote you’re referring to. Here’s a blog post EA made summarizing the results of round 1. https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/sp-survey-results
    The writing was already on the wall.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

Yes, we absolutely KNEW it was going to be a stuff pack. But they kept breaking it down even further than what we had really wanted. We wanted arts and crafts! But they wanted to break it down so much that it's just blah

This isn't at all true though. If people thought it woud be a broader theme they didn't read the voting instructions because it was VERY clear from page one of the first vote that we'd only get ONE thing from that broader theme. There's a reason we had to rank and vote for what we liked best between things like sewing/knitting/glass making/pottery in the VERY FIRST Poll. If we were getting all of them, that would have been pointless... I mean, that and the fact that it said right on the front page (and several other pages throughout) that we weren't getting all of them.

What you are quoting is from when we picked the style, we already knew at that point that knitting had one. Those were the styles for the knitting pack but they just wrote "Arts and Crafts" because it fell under the Arts and Crafts category. What you are quoting was from December, "Knitting" was announced to be the winner back in November before that was even posted so no one shoulld have thought we were getting anything but knitting by that time.