Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR Nifty Knitting Review

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited August 2020
    telmarina wrote: »
    I love LGR's reviews. He's funny. But i don't always agree with him. And this is one of this times...

I think NK has more in it than most of the other stuff packs. A skill, an aspiration, a new way of selling crafts, a new radio station with new animations, bb and a lot of cas (even most being connected to the skill).

It looks like LGR doesn't like sims 4 and he sounds tired. But it was actually the first time that i think he wasn't fair. Is knitting niche? Well most of the skills are. Does looking at your sim knitting is boring? Well looking at him cooking or fishing or dj'ing or programing is also boring. It is if you concentrate in the skill and you don't integrate it into a story...

Also like someone said before sims 4 doesn't have a store like 3 had. So, it's normal to have 17 stuff packs by now. Premium objects in the store were also niche, expensive and there were tons of it...

And this is coming from someone that didn't vote in knitting. I'ld prefer happy haunts everyday.

@telmarina this is exactly what I meant with seeing things from an outsiders perspective.

This is a DLC about knitting. It is simply about this one skill and it had like 3 animations in it. Imagine if DJing or fishing all had there own DLC...
    Also it's not about quantity, it's the quality. The aspiration is again just a walkthrough for the pack and not an actual aspiration.
    But these are just the standards we have as a community. We do buy DLCs dedicated just to a single skill with 3 animations and we even defend them. Those are the standards of a Simmer. If you look at any other game community you will see they all laugh at our low standards and our commitment to buying a pack fully dedicated to knitting. Other gamers don't put up with this stuff, just Simmers, and I think this is LGR's point.

Another sign of this is saying that 17 stuff packs are "normal". It doesn't matter if they are just on the store or normal packs 17 is just too many. But Simmers are they only people who will defend a game with 17 stuff packs. An outsider wouldn't and LGR wouldn't.
    But these are the times we live in. Defending EA for delivering a stuff pack with 3 animations a skill and 2466 recolours of the same item.

Of course im comparing within the sims standards. We never had any other game as the sims. Let's hope for some competition and our standards may change.

I just don't understand how it is a disapointment now but it wasn't 10 years ago when the store was way worse... talk about niche, few and often bugged interactions and very expensive objects... Does LGR gets tired of reviewing 4's stuff packs? Imagine if he was to review the whole 3's store! That is basically what he's doing now, revoewing the whole 4's 'store'.
    i actually think it got better now. And that's why i find it better than normal to have 17 stuff packs.

I can't talk about outside of the sims cause i don't play anything else. Haven't for 20 years. I did played before but got happily stuck with the sims :) I don't care about how other gamers look at us though. Other games imo have nothing to do with the sims.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I love LGR's reviews. He's funny. But i don't always agree with him. And this is one of this times...

I think NK has more in it than most of the other stuff packs. A skill, an aspiration, a new way of selling crafts, a new radio station with new animations, bb and a lot of cas (even most being connected to the skill).

It looks like LGR doesn't like sims 4 and he sounds tired. But it was actually the first time that i think he wasn't fair. Is knitting niche? Well most of the skills are. Does looking at your sim knitting is boring? Well looking at him cooking or fishing or dj'ing or programing is also boring. It is if you concentrate in the skill and you don't integrate it into a story...

Also like someone said before sims 4 doesn't have a store like 3 had. So, it's normal to have 17 stuff packs by now. Premium objects in the store were also niche, expensive and there were tons of it...

And this is coming from someone that didn't vote in knitting. I'ld prefer happy haunts everyday.

@telmarina this is exactly what I meant with seeing things from an outsiders perspective.

This is a DLC about knitting. It is simply about this one skill and it had like 3 animations in it. Imagine if DJing or fishing all had there own DLC...
    Also it's not about quantity, it's the quality. The aspiration is again just a walkthrough for the pack and not an actual aspiration.
    But these are just the standards we have as a community. We do buy DLCs dedicated just to a single skill with 3 animations and we even defend them. Those are the standards of a Simmer. If you look at any other game community you will see they all laugh at our low standards and our commitment to buying a pack fully dedicated to knitting. Other gamers don't put up with this stuff, just Simmers, and I think this is LGR's point.

Another sign of this is saying that 17 stuff packs are "normal". It doesn't matter if they are just on the store or normal packs 17 is just too many. But Simmers are they only people who will defend a game with 17 stuff packs. An outsider wouldn't and LGR wouldn't.
    But these are the times we live in. Defending EA for delivering a stuff pack with 3 animations a skill and 2466 recolours of the same item.

Of course im comparing within the sims standards. We never had any other game as the sims. Let's hope for some competition and our standards may change.

I just don't understand how it is a disapointment now but it wasn't 10 years ago when the store was way worse... talk about niche, few and often bugged interactions and very expensive objects... Does LGR gets tired of reviewing 4's stuff packs? Imagine if he was to review the whole 3's store! That is basically what he's doing now, revoewing the whole 4's 'store'.
    i actually think it got better now. And that's why i find it better than normal to have 17 stuff packs.

I can't talk about outside of the sims cause i don't play anything else. Haven't for 20 years. I did played before but got happily stuck with the sims :) I don't care about how other gamers look at us though. Other games imo have nothing to do with the sims.

@telmarina they don't but they are consumers in the same industry and don't put up with 🐸🐸🐸🐸 EA and other companies do, at least a good number of them.
    Also LGR did actually review a lot of the Sims 3 store content and he found it equally off-putting and overpriced.
    Now as for the 17 whole stuff packs I still think it isn't normal, especially in a game notorious for missing or shallow features as voiced by the community.
    When there are no deep personalities, no cars, object babies etc etc for 6 years already! but they really release a freaking knitting pack then I agree with LGR, the game needs other things
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

@telmarina they don't but they are consumers in the same industry and don't put up with 🌺🌺🌺🌺 EA and other companies do, at least a good number of them.
    Also LGR did actually review a lot of the Sims 3 store content and he found it equally off-putting and overpriced.
    Now as for the 17 whole stuff packs I still think it isn't normal, especially in a game notorious for missing or shallow features as voiced by the community.
    When there are no deep personalities, no cars, object babies etc etc for 6 years already! but they really release a freaking knitting pack then I agree with LGR, the game needs other things

Oh i sure agree with you! Don't think im not critical of sims 4. I am! But that goes with what i said before. This is more of a review of someone that doesn't like how sims 4 is going than with specifically being a pack way worse than the others (within sims 4 spectrum).
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited August 2020
    Oh i sure agree with you! Don't think im not critical of sims 4. I am! But that goes with what i said before. This is more of a review of someone that doesn't like how sims 4 is going than with specifically being a pack way worse than the others (within sims 4 spectrum).

I got that impression too. Because this was the 17th stuff pack for a game that has been going on for 6 years I think he was a bit more critical. I also think that the total amount of DLC for this game is starting to become too much, I probably would have kept that for a separate video though.

• HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    I agree with LGR this pack is definitely a "been there, done that" where you probably wouldn't go back and do knitting for a while after you've completed everything. There is no dept to the knitting at all like I would of really loved if you could set your own prices for plopsey and then people would complain about how you are over charging. I wish that toddlers could be rocked in the chair and children could pretend to be on a rocket ship or something similar to the what the sims 3 kids did on the couch. This rocking chair has one or two purposes with one or two styles. The knitting is one dimensional and doesn't offer anymore game play once you unlock all of the items.

I could see how some might like it but I for one need more like this could of totally been added to Seasons.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I agree and disagree here. On its own, I disagree with his opinions on Nifty Knitting. It adds to the immersion, provides a much-needed hobby, and has a fun and reasonable unlocking system. It's way better than many of thr other Stuff Packs, which were often super lazy. If more Stuff Packs were like this, I wouldn't nearly be as negative to them as I am now.

In the context of Sims 4 as a whole, I can see where he's coming from. The game is lacking in so many areas even after 6 years, but EA propritizes charging us less meaningful fluff over addressing what we need, deserve, and should have gotten half a decade ago. And this is on top of piecemealing content and charging us more for less. I get that they need time and money to make these important things, but it's gotten ridiculous at this point.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    I too think the sims 4 has over-stayed it's welcome.... at least for me. And not because the sims 4 is 6 years old, but because of what we've had to accept as a sims game for that duration. Right out of the gate, on day 1 of release, sims 4 was lacking in features and unwelcome changes. No pools, toddlers, cars, no open world.... and packed with loading screens. Add to that, 6 years later, we are still lacking even some very basic options such as a color wheel. Matching furniture and decor in sims 4 is often times a frustration. I couldn't count the times I simply clicked out of the game thinking... OMG forget it, i'll figure it out later.

It took 2 years to get toddlers, 5 to get better stairs, and still we have babies being less interactive than the stereo. We're probably better off just getting a cat than a baby. The packs are watered down, and (IMO) over-priced. And the sims (characters) overall have better interactions with the objects than they do with each other. Married couples don't cuddle, hold hands, spoon each other to sleep, nothing. There's just absolutely nothing special to mention about the interactions of married sims.

Then there's the game's core ideas that simply don't make sense. A doctor has to go through the song and dance of career level building to become a doctor only to not be able to open a doctor's office when completed. A sim doesn't have to complete career levels to become a vet but can open a vet clinic. A chef can't work at their own restaurant. The list goes on. The game often just doesn't make logical sense.

Wishing for the end of sims 4 however could very well walk us all down a more frustrating path. As we know, sims 4 was originally designed for online play. EA's massive failure with Sim City forced them to back-pedal sims 4 into what we got on day 1.... communities being super small and load screens to get to the house next door, community park, etc.

Fast forward 6 years and we learn that nope.... EA (obviously) hasn't given up on the online play idea. They are going full force at trying it again with sims 5. You know what they say.... if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. So simmers, place your bets. What will sims 5 be???? Will it present us with online gameplay of an offline game? Or.... offline gameplay of a newly created online game? The two ideas only sound the same on the surface.

Sims 4 is what it is..... imo... a complete mess. But I don't think sims 5 will be our dream come true either. Though i'm eager, and somewhat excited to learn more about sims 5, at the same time, I have some concerns about the direction EA is taking the sims franchise.

I just don't know what to think at this point.

The tiredness, and frustration in LGR's voice is (IMO) justified. Its been a long 6 years, and for the most part, not always entertaining. We spent the first 1 third of that time fighting to get toddlers back. And now... here we are with the game seeming overcrowded with scripts from what can be argued... too many DLCs. Resulting in a bug infested game that is for some... an unplayable experience. So yea. I understand his tiredness and frustration.

Agree 100%
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    LGR's reviews are fun, always will be, but on some level you just need to know that he pretty much only opens his game to write the reviews, then probably closes it til the next pack comes around. And if there wasn't still so much demand from the sims community, I sincerely doubt he'd still be doing them at all. That's not a criticism, it's just a reality. The problem is that if you do still open your game and still play this, even if you've got a few things you're less content about, then an addition like knitting or whatever comes next, might very well add some fun gameplay to your game. So while the reviews are still super fun to watch, I don't understand ppl waiting for them to decide whether to purchase a pack or not. Just doesn't make a lot of sense. All that being said, I still always look forward to watching them :)
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I love LGR reviews generally.
    But I feel with ts4 he is complaining about a pack just because it is a stuff pack . I think for a stuff pack this actually contains a lot of gameplay.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I couldn't finish this. His tone is snotty and condescending from the get-go, and I am disinclined to fight through his lousy attitude to sift out any actually useful information.

Is he always like this? Must be a lot of fun at parties.

His info is useful though lol
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    edited August 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Didn't we vote on the content and already knew what was going to be in the pack?

Kinda but not really. I'm pretty sure we voted for Arts and Crafts. But then that was whittled down so much we were left with just knitting.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I love LGR reviews generally.
    But I feel with ts4 he is complaining about a pack just because it is a stuff pack . I think for a stuff pack this actually contains a lot of gameplay.

I am glad you found a lot of gameplay...I don't see it xD
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I disagree with his review. In my opinion, this pack has done a lot better than other Stuff Packs. This pack had a lot more content than I expected for $10.
    I think LGR is a good guy, but I don't think his reviews have been useful as of late. There's only so many ways he can say "there's too much DLC," and he doesn't seem to actually get around to reviewing the actual product in a balanced manner. He should have framed his review around, "if you like knitting, then this is why you will/ won't enjoy this pack." Instead, I feel like his review is basically "I'm not interested in this pack, you probably aren't either, and there's too much DLC." Not exactly helpful to people that were interested in Knitting, since the community basically voted for it anyway.
    And for everyone complaining about this series overstaying it's welcome, the Sims 5 won't be any better. Unless you enjoy subscription based games and microtransactions.
    I also didn't care for his review of Eco Lifestyle. I myself am critical of that pack, but I didn't agree with his reasons for disliking the pack.

And before anyone attacks me, I am allowed to critique his reviews. I'm quite vocal about my criticism of the series, so it has nothing to do with being critical.
    edited August 2020
    bixters wrote: »
    I disagree with his review. In my opinion, this pack has done a lot better than other Stuff Packs. This pack had a lot more content than I expected for $10.
    I think LGR is a good guy, but I don't think his reviews have been useful as of late. There's only so many ways he can say "there's too much DLC," and he doesn't seem to actually get around to reviewing the actual product in a balanced manner. He should have framed his review around, "if you like knitting, then this is why you will/ won't enjoy this pack." Instead, I feel like his review is basically "I'm not interested in this pack, you probably aren't either, and there's too much DLC." Not exactly helpful to people that were interested in Knitting, since the community basically voted for it anyway.
    And for everyone complaining about this series overstaying it's welcome, the Sims 5 won't be any better. Unless you enjoy subscription based games and microtransactions.
    I also didn't care for his review of Eco Lifestyle. I myself am critical of that pack, but I didn't agree with his reasons for disliking the pack.

And before anyone attacks me, I am allowed to critique his reviews. I'm quite vocal about my criticism of the series, so it has nothing to do with being critical.

But the question is how can you be interested in knitting? It's just one animation so you can unlock the bb and CAS from this pack and that's it. There is not much to do rather than watch the sims do one animation over and over and as the top comment put it: "This could have easily been one of the activities in a full arts and crafts pack"
    EA seems to be splitting up occults, activities etc in small fractions so they can sell more content and they are not necessarily always more "fleshed-out", it just looks that way. I just cannot grasp how people aren't seeing that.

Stuff packs in the Sims 5 will probably be like "The Sims 5 poopy toilet stuff" now with more in-depth gameplay than ever!
    And people will be like "yeah we had pooping in the previous games but never as fleshed out so I will gladly pay 10 bucks".

But the question is how can you be interested in knitting? It's just one animation so you can unlock the bb and CAS from this pack and that's it. There is not much to do rather than watch the sims do one animation over and over and as the top comment put it: "This could have easily been one of the activities in a full arts and crafts pack"
    EA seems to be splitting up occults, activities etc in small fractions so they can sell more content and they are not necessarily always more "fleshed-out", it just looks that way. I just cannot grasp how people aren't seeing that.

Stuff packs in the Sims 5 will probably be like "The Sims 5 poopy toilet stuff" now with more in-depth gameplay than ever!
    And people will be like "yeah we had pooping in the previous games but never as fleshed out so I will gladly pay 10 bucks".

"The sims 5 poopy toilet stuff." xD
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member

It sounds like the people that voted for knitting are interested in it.
    And what do people expect from a $10 stuff pack? They only have a limited amount of resources for this pack. And in my opinion, they did try their best to fit as much as they could in this pack.
    People need to be able review a product within its scope. Yes, we all know EA is terrible for dividing up content, but we should still be able to look at a product made by developers and evaluate it fairly. They did the best they could within a Stuff Pack focus. This was never going to be a game pack. It's not the fault of the pack, it's the fault of EA's budgeting.
    Trust me, I've been very critical of the packs and this series, I just don't think his review was helpful for people who might have actually been interested in Knitting.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Missmagoo2 wrote: »
    Didn't we vote on the content and already knew what was going to be in the pack?

Kinda but not really. I'm pretty sure we voted for Arts and Crafts. But then that was whittled down so much we were left with just knitting.

We voted specificially for knitting though.... We voted Arts and Crafts as the main title and then when it had the list of 5 ideas for each category and it said "If this pack wins which subtheme should the pack be based on" we voted knitting. Arts and Crafts one, and the knitting category within it won.

We voted specificially for knitting though.... We voted Arts and Crafts as the main title and then when it had the list of 5 ideas for each category and it said "If this pack wins which subtheme should the pack be based on" we voted knitting. Arts and Crafts one, and the knitting category within it won.

While that's true, but I believe people voted for Arts and Crafts thinking we'd get something like hobbies...but...failed to realize it was just one theme (like myself)

It sounds like the people that voted for knitting are interested in it.
    And what do people expect from a $10 stuff pack? They only have a limited amount of resources for this pack. And in my opinion, they did try their best to fit as much as they could in this pack.
    People need to be able review a product within its scope. Yes, we all know EA is terrible for dividing up content, but we should still be able to look at a product made by developers and evaluate it fairly. They did the best they could within a Stuff Pack focus. This was never going to be a game pack. It's not the fault of the pack, it's the fault of EA's budgeting.
    Trust me, I've been very critical of the packs and this series, I just don't think his review was helpful for people who might have actually been interested in Knitting.

Again many people (like me) voted for art and crafts. Once EA narrowed it down so much that we went from arts and crafts to just knitting or just sculpting I was dissapointed but I still voted for the least terrible choice. If I was able to create a pack I would not really choose a pack about knitting. It's just with this survey system we don't have much say, they give us the options and we choose which one we find the best but we are never able to maybe suggest an idea.
    It's like someone asking "do you want a blue or a pink T-shirt?" and you're like "I want a gray sweater" "well bad luck cause you don't get that option"
    Also look at the ratio. They are spending sooooo much time and money into making 17 whole stuff packs and we haven't had a game pack since RoM and before EL the last EP was released in November of 2019. After 6 years we've had 9 EPs 8 GPs and 17(!!) SPs.

Also LGR can review the pack with whatever criteria he wants. If he thinks the whole concept of the pack is not worth it then no matter how much stuff the pack actually has, it still doesn't make it better and I agree with that. His review helped me.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member

But the question is how can you be interested in knitting? It's just one animation so you can unlock the bb and CAS from this pack and that's it.

Storytelling. It just adds to a sims personlity, like every skill does... I will have a kid who lives by their grandparents because her actual parents died. Knitting will have a big influence in their life, since you can teach others how to knit and kids are allowed to knit...
    And when you look it at that point of view, giving your sim a backstory, all of this DLC can be great tools to support that.

I mean no one wanted active classes, even though the go to school mod was really popular. they prefer to just watch a rabbithole... how is that interesting? And what is so interesting about sims doing homework and research. What is so interesting about sims watching a movie or craft furniture over and over and over... what is so interesting about the flower arrangment table...
    Everyone has differente feelings towards these things. While for some it is boring for the other it can be relaxing or relatable and therefore fun.
    edited August 2020
    PreCiious wrote: »

But the question is how can you be interested in knitting? It's just one animation so you can unlock the bb and CAS from this pack and that's it.

Storytelling. It just adds to a sims personlity, like every skill does... I will have a kid who lives by their grandparents because her actual parents died. Knitting will have a big influence in their life, since you can teach others how to knit and kids are allowed to knit...
    And when you look it at that point of view, giving your sim a backstory, all of this DLC can be great tools to support that.

I mean no one wanted active classes, even though the go to school mod was really popular. they prefer to just watch a rabbithole... how is that interesting? And what is so interesting about sims doing homework and research. What is so interesting about sims watching a movie or craft furniture over and over and over... what is so interesting about the flower arrangment table...
    Everyone has differente feelings towards these things. While for some it is boring for the other it can be relaxing or relatable and therefore fun.

@PreCiious Exactly and this is why there are no flower arranging packs, or homework packs or you name it. I get that it's interesting if it's a part of something bigger but 10$ for a knitting interaction? lol
    Again try to see the whole picture. We are 17 SPs in right now. Take a moment, look at what business practices you decide to support with your money and if that's fine to you then go for it, but don't call LGR not useful because he cannot see the good in those same business practices. I cannot either
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I think he only gave it a cursory glance, not saying anything about the desks joining etc. He's probably only done it because someone asked him to. He doesn't need Sims anymore I think.

That said, I'm giving my Elderly Sims a holiday in Sulani. They've got the tents and camping equipment for a weekend stay and enjoying the occasional visit to the Spa there, knitting in their rocking chairs on the decking outside, watching the kids on the swings, making sandcastles or swimming. Cheers! <3

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

While that's true, but I believe people voted for Arts and Crafts thinking we'd get something like hobbies...but...failed to realize it was just one theme (like myself)

But we had the laundry vote before. No offence but I think they were pretty clear from the start that only one theme would win, exactly like last time when laundry (for some reason) won the eco vote 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think both laundry and knitting are very good SPs though, but yes they are SPs, we always knew they would be. None of this vote or outcome should be surprising to anyone who participated the last time.

But yes, knitting could have been a part of EL and it kinda looks like it was supposed to be. That is a more valid criticism than that we didn't get what we voted for. Because, well, we did.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    PreCiious wrote: »

This. No matter whether they're part of a larger pack or not most interactions eventually just become boring and something to grind through. Cooking, reading skill books, etc. Even my spellcaster animations no longer elicit that excitement and wonder as the first time.