Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 compared to Sims 3

Comments

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited July 2020
    As someone who plays both but prefers 4,I think they are equally good apart from the lacking traits and personalities in 4. They need to be played differently and 4 requires more imagination,direct control and story telling of your own. That's something I really enjoy. Obviously 4 is missing a lot of stuff. But to be fair it's not over. I do think that before it ends we will get updated babies,strollers,more kids stuff, cars, horses etc etc.
    Somethings I don't believe will ever return to 4 like direct control of pets,open world,color wheel and stuff which is a shame.

One of the best things I love about 4 is how easy it is to mod and add cc to your hearts content. I have a lot of problems with 3 and cc tends to corrupt itself very easily for no reason. As a cc addict that's very frustrating for me.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited July 2020
    Sims 3: Open World. Cars. Create a World. Thick Fog. Houseboats. Dive Lots. The Kraken. Proper Fog. Story Progression. Boating with more than one sim. Nice snow. Slow Dance. Really Cool Fog. Lunar Cycle. Ugly sims, but at least they cared and cuddled in bed. Cops 'n Burglars. Motorbikes. Elevator Woohoo. The Fog emitter.

You guessed it, fog was one of my favorite FX in TS3. I really fogged up my game with that.

Anyway, Sims 4: None of the above.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    If there were only a subforum dedicated to running down everyone else's favorite iteration of The Sims.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-franchise-discussion
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    If there were only a subforum dedicated to running down everyone else's favorite iteration of The Sims.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-franchise-discussion

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited August 2020
    Sims 3: Open World. Cars. Create a World. Thick Fog. Houseboats. Dive Lots. The Kraken. Proper Fog. Story Progression. Boating with more than one sim. Nice snow. Slow Dance. Really Cool Fog. Lunar Cycle. Ugly sims, but at least they cared and cuddled in bed. Cops 'n Burglars. Motorbikes. Elevator Woohoo. The Fog emitter.

You guessed it, fog was one of my favorite FX in TS3. I really fogged up my game with that.

Seasons is waaaaay better in TS4 @CAPTAIN_NXR7. I had to disable rain in TS3, because once it started it never stopped. I do miss the flexibility I had to create my own patterns and color match counters, cabinets, and furniture from different packs, even create my own sheets in TS3. But building is better in TS4.

I would play both games, but even with the overwatch mod, the lag in the game makes it so unplayable, unless I play the user created world that has dive lots. Makes me sad tho, 'cause I never met the Kraken

I don't get why folks say sims lack personalities in TS4. I don't see it. They have personality
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    I have not play The Sims 3 since The Sims 4 came out.

I remember that when I went to venue in TS3 there would only be a few Sims there. Go to a venue in TS4 there are a lot of Sims around. It gets lively quickly.

I've never played S3 but that would be a deal killer if true. I love showing up to a bowling venue and seeing all the sims bowling or hanging out at the bar. Likewise with nightclubs, bars, lounges, ect.

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Well to be very vague because I'm too tired for deep discussion haha, the short answer is that for my personal game play style (I play live mode large families with no cc and barely any mods): Sims 4 is enjoyable. Sims 3 is not haha. And that's my comparison. (If anyone really cares about my long answer I've posted in other threads so you can find it somewhere in my post history but I need to get to bed hahaha)
  • Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    > @peragogo said:
    > I can’t get into 3 anymore. After spending ages to make a potato looking sim hot on the heels of spending ages to load the game, the sims go off, get jobs and then I stare at the neighbourhood for a while and shut it off.
    >
    > I’d rather play Sims 2 over Sims 3.

....I didnt like sims 3 back in 2009 and I still don't like it now. I own both sims 3 and sims 4. I like sims 4. Yes, I know, everyone rates sims 3 better, but not me and thats okay with me.
    edited August 2020
    troshalom wrote: »
    Seasons is waaaaay better in TS4 @CAPTAIN_NXR7. I had to disable rain in TS3, because once it started it never stopped.

@troshalom, Seasons is good in TS4. I do miss the icicles hanging off the roof and accumulating snow. I never had any problem with the rain in TS3. I just really love the fog rolling in after rain or on early autumn mornings.
    I do miss the flexibility I had to create my own patterns and color match counters, cabinets, and furniture from different packs, even create my own sheets in TS3. But building is better in TS4.

I agree that building in TS4 is far better than in TS3. I wish it could be expanded a bit more.
    I would play both games, but even with the overwatch mod, the lag in the game makes it so unplayable, unless I play the user created world that has dive lots. Makes me sad tho, 'cause I never met the Kraken

Some worlds in TS3 were terrible for lagging due to corrupt routing data. Especially IP. But there were fixes. Also, if you got your sims to move into a houseboat and undocked, the lagging wasn’t so bad. Move it to the deeper part of the ocean and you will hear the haunting sound of The Kraken before it passes by. Priceless.
    I don't get why folks say sims lack personalities in TS4. I don't see it. They have personality

Aesthetically they do have personality, but it doesn’t go any deeper than that.
    Emotion and personality are two different things. The sims in TS4 are very emotional. But they don’t really care and their emotions fluctuate rapidly and often don’t make any sense within specific situations. Oftentimes their (emotional) behavior does not match their personality, aka the traits given to them. They don’t memorize negative interactions with sims and always go back to neutral or happy. So in the long run they seem to lack personality. This however, is my personal opinion.

And I wasn’t entirely fair in my previous post, because both TS3 and TS4 have their pros and cons. They do feel like two completely different animals though.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Here is my opinion

I think sims 3 and 4 are two very different games. I like both for different reasons and both have their faults.
    Sims 3 was a blast at its time and has a lot of fun gameplay. Sims 4 is a blast for me now and I also think it has a lot of fun gameplay and a ton to do.
    Sims 3 had horrible performance issues that are not present in the sims 4. Sims 4 is lacking in certain areas and sometimes feels more rushed than sims 3 ever did. You can see the cut corners in gameplay even still.

However as much as I loved sims 3 at the time I struggle to go back to it. Sims 3 has things I wish were in sims 4 sure, but sims 4 also has new additions that make me wish I had them in sims 3. The things I wish were in sims 3 and the general ease of creating in sims 4 just make it very hard to go back and really enjoy myself. Same thing happened with sims 2 vs sims 3 though. I tend to play the current version and rarely return to the older ones.

When it comes down to it though neither game is perfect. They both have flaws but are both enjoyable games even with them. I don’t necessarily prefer one over the other either. I just at this moment in time play Sims 4 solely.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I never find anything I want to do and can't in The Sims 3. It's usually the other way around
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • RipleyrawrRipleyrawr Posts: 273 Member
    The Sims 3 wasn't missing an entire life state on launch.

On the other hand, TS4 doesn't have the obnoxious 5-minute loading times or makes the entire world active. Both of these were my biggest gripes with TS3, I'm glad they toned it down.

For the record, I love both games but I can still bash them for their flaws, and there are some big flaws.
    iBVfjxN.gif
    Breadquanda is my spirit animal.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I play both, but differently. In Sims 3 the game very much guides my game play with the wishes and opportunities. In Sims 4 I need to have a much more organized plan of things I want to do.

In terms of personalities, mods that balance out emotions, relationships, and autonomy in Sims 4 make Sims 4 sims much better than Sims 3 sims in my opinion. But without mods Sims from both games I don’t consider to be anything special compared to Sims 2 sims. Sims 2 sims are unmatched.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    I am not even going into that discussion as I play The Sims 4 much like I played The Sims 2.
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    There are things that I like about Sims 4, however Sims 3 was a big obsession for me back in the day, and although the Sims in 4 look better without requiring CC, I much prefer Sims 3 for how full and alive it was.

In Sims 3 my toddlers played in playpens, and taught themselves to walk in a walker. Babies had swings to calm them, and pregnancy just seemed better in general.

In Sims 3, I had fairy Sims, with beautiful wings and adorable fairy homes. Nothing cuter than my fairy throwing a fairy party 🤩. I also had real wonderful witches, they worked in potion shops toiling away at spells, they drove broomsticks from town to town they didn't just teleport, although that was also an option via phonebooths. Sims 4 sorcerers just can't compare.

In Sims 3 vacations were awesome. Taking my Sims on a honeymoon to Italy where they rode mopeds through a lovey country side, picked grapes, and made there own wine. They baked pizza and bread in a proper pizza oven too. Also, with the help of the Sims 3 store my Sims could ride a gondola too.

I could create almost anything I desired. Las Vegas? Yes. Theme Park? Yes. Water Park? Yes. Dark, Spooky, Supernatural world? Oh yes! If I wanted to build it I easy could in Sims 3. Sims 4? Not so much.

To be fair, Sims 3 had serious lag issues after IP, and eventually I filled Sims 3 too full. My game started to have major issues, and I stopped playing Sims 3, because I don't have the time to start over and figure out what broke. Someday, I will break down and buy a new computer and maybe give Sims 3 another try.

So for myself I rate 3 much higher than 4. Even with it's worts and issues, Sims 3 was amazing. I also rate Sims 2 much higher than 4. Like 3, Sims 2 is a full experience. Sims 4 has always felt half baked. I hoped Sims 4 would improve over time, but after EPs like IL and ECO I honestly don't hold out a whole lot of hope for Sims 4. I also don't believe that Sims 5 will improve things. I sincerely hope that the Sims team proves me wrong.

Perhaps, if the Sims 4 team could stop putting limitations on what they feel a pack should bring to the table, and started giving us the type of EP experience we got in Sims 3 & 2 without worrying about $$$, they might be amazed at how willing fans would be to purchase full priced packs. Heck, I read somewhere that Sims 4 is bringing in millions due to covid lockdowns, so how about they reinvest that money into making Sims 4 a fuller experience?

Just a thought.
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    @Tay-way654

Why does TS3 crash when you are in CAS that much? I alway hear the argument that TS3 is crashing all the time (not saying it doesn't have tons of bugs they should have fixed before abandoning it) but I think my game crashed less then 5 times over the years that I played extensively and I believe two of them were due to a mod, and I played on a potato at the time.

Like, does you Mac overheat when you play or do you change all the patterns/ fabrics on clothes? I'm literally very curious about this :D Like do you have any idea as to what might be the case of the crashing? Or is it simply a (mostly) just Mac thing?
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
    edited August 2020
    @Tay-way654

Why does TS3 crash when you are in CAS that much? I alway hear the argument that TS3 is crashing all the time (not saying it doesn't have tons of bugs they should have fixed before abandoning it) but I think my game crashed less then 5 times over the years that I played extensively and I believe two of them were due to a mod, and I played on a potato at the time.

Like, does you Mac overheat when you play or do you change all the patterns/ fabrics on clothes? I'm literally very curious about this :D Like do you have any idea as to what might be the case of the crashing? Or is it simply a (mostly) just Mac thing?

It’s a Mac OS thing. I used to play TS3 on my Mac and whatever Operating System it was running at the time. It was impossible to play sims 3 for me, due to the constant CAS crashing. I did some research and although I did not learn anything about why a Mac crashes the game, I learned that Windows is the better platform to play TS3 and other video games on. Additionally, I found out that the TS3 launcher on Windows would have more options and that it can also run the Create a World Tool and various other tools that would not be available for Mac.

Basically, TS3 is made for Windows and not for Mac.

Although i prefer working on a Mac, I decided I would not play games on a Mac operating system anymore.
    Luckily I have a Mac Pro, so I was able to re-format one of my SSD drives and turn it into a Windows (7) Bootcamp drive.TS3 now runs like a gem. No crashing, just solid gameplay. Plus I could use all the other modding tools and CAW extensively.

Running Windows on a Mac is really no different to running Windows on any other machine, except the Mac keyboard is a little different to a Windows keyboard. I highly recommend doing this if you can and still want to explore all the options for TS3.
    Setting up a Windows bootcamp drive on a Mac can get rather technical, but there are some really good tutorials online and once you have it all set up, it’s super straight forward. Best thing I’ve ever done in my years of gaming! ;)
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I have mixed feelings about TS3 & TS4. Each of them have some things (or several "some things") that I like.

I've never been a big "player" of either game so I can't compare personalities, emotions, attractions, etc. because I mostly just built and decorated houses, and my favorite thing was to download all the fabulous CC from amazing and talented creators! It feeds my shopping addiction and it's free!

I used to play TS2 all the time tho and loved owning a beauty salon on my home lot and when I did actually "play" TS3 I either did the architect or stylist profession, so I was really disappointed that TS4's "active" careers didn't include something similar.

I was actively playing TS3 (aka ....buildling & decorating) when TS4 came out and the first thing that struck me was how bright and happy and cartoony the world looked ..... I HATED IT! I thought it looked like a child's game, not a sequel to the Sims series. It still, to this day (7 years later) sort of bothers me.

I like my sims games to look more realistic since I mostly decorate or build so in TS4 I have to use a TON of CC and default replacement textures for the ground, sidewalks, roads, world lighting mods, and reshade to tone the bright, happy looking world down to make the game look how I want it to.

In TS3 I didn't need a lot of CC because I could match everything with the color wheel and patterns.

The one thing I can say about TS4 is that they make a lot of nice plants, to me they are much better than what was done in TS3 (although the textures are very fake looking but it matches the art style they chose to go with for this iteration).

The first time I went thru the build/buy catalog for TS4, I was actually in shock by the size of the furniture and windows/doors, why does it all have to be so exaggeratedly over sized? And who ever thought that all those fake painted nicks on every piece of wood looked good? Just because a game is low poly doesn't mean it has to be thick and chunky! They HAVE improved a lot in my opinion with the last few packs as far as the look of the build/buy items, Tiny Living and Eco Lifestyle both have really nice furniture, it's sleek and more modern and the color pallet is soooo much better and the woods actually match!

I'm okay with TS4 not being an open world, but one of my pet peeves is how small the worlds are! There is one world that literally only has 4 lots and 3 of them have buildings on it! The other thing that bugs the crap out of me, is the fact that we can't even "edit" the world to remove things, like trees that are in way of taking a good screenshot. And, some of the worlds are so "themed", a lot of the houses on them are old style homes, which would be fine if we could bulldoze them and put down what we wanted, but we can't because they're FAKE! So it's really frustrating to try and build a neighborhood with similar styled modern houses and all of the dummy houses are from 1900-1920!

I like some aspects of the build tools in TS4 but not all of them. Like for instance, I hate having to delete the upper level floor in order to see the level below for example you want a hallway near the stairs to be in the exact same location on both levels, you can't see the lower hallway to match it up until you delete the floor. I much preferred the way it was done in TS1, TS2, and TS3 where you went up a level and it had grid lines and you just placed your floor tiles where you wanted them. I like the roofing system in TS4 a lot tho! And now that you can move the doors and windows freely is awesome! I don't like how you can only put certain trim on your house if your house is only utilizing short walls. They should be able to be placed freely on any height wall.

I hate that TS4 doesn't have curved pools and I'm floored that there's no actual diving board! There's a jump and belly flop thing, what is up with that! And we don't even have a water tool! So we have to make fake ponds with square pool edges and cover the edges up with plastic looking rocks and foilage. Again, I'm just floored at that and look how long it took to get terrain tools! All of these things should have been in the base game at launch!

I do like that in TS4 we can add a foundation and change the height of it while building instead of having to plan out the foundation in advance.

I absolutely HATE with a passion, that we can not change the ceiling! It's a hideous grayish/blue color that looks horrible on rustic/industrial builds! I seriously don't understand why we can't, a ceiling is nothing but a floor above the head, we could do that in TS2 and TS3, why take that ability away?

I love that in TS4 we can resize and raise lower anything and things on the wall can move freely. That is one thing I miss desperately when I go back to TS3! But I feel like the resize function could be a little better, like much smaller increments because sometimes you want to make something larger because it's not quite big enough but when you resize it, it's ginormous! And vice versa, some things just don't shrink well. But I'll take that function over not being able to resize at all!

The other thing that is really noticeable is TS4 packs just don't have a lot of stuff "to do". In TS3 when I would actually play there were all kinds of things for my sims to do or try, and so much more things for babies, toddlers, kids, and teens to do (I never played with elders so I can't comment on that).

TS3 had a lot of lag especially in Isla Paradiso and Bridgeport but I installed fixed worlds and NRAAs Overwatch and it doesn't lag at all now unless I'm in CASt for a long time, then I just go back to live mode and let it run and everything is fine again. The only time I had lag in TS4 was after my graphics card died while I was waiting on a new one to come, it would be a wee bit stuttery.

I create CC for TS4 because it's much easier to than the other games were in my opinion, but I still prefer TS3 most of the time.

If I could have these things I might be able to be completely happy with TS4
    - CASt (with the ability to add our own patterns)
    - Recolorable Ceilings
    - Spiral Stairs (or something similar with a smaller footprint)

But since I know none of that is ever going to happen, I'm patiently (well, actually IMpatiently) waiting for TS5!
  • FamilyFriendFamilyFriend Posts: 24 Member
    I prefer sims 4 sims but with sims 3 graphics and sims 2 detail
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

Seasons is waaaaay better in TS4 @CAPTAIN_NXR7. I had to disable rain in TS3, because once it started it never stopped. I do miss the flexibility I had to create my own patterns and color match counters, cabinets, and furniture from different packs, even create my own sheets in TS3. But building is better in TS4.

Oh, sure they do. Of course. It's just.... it's the same single personality.
    #Team Occult
  • FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

I must disagree. Sims 4 personalities relies on a mix of traits (that are kinda ok), skills and the Sim current emotion whereas Sims 3 personalities relies almost exclusively on traits. I prefer Sims 4 approach because when it works it is amazing and offers more natural Sims. Nowadays I find kinda of silly how Sims 3 personalities used to handle emotion in such an vague way (feeeling + or – based on moodlets without qualitative difference).

My impression is that Maxis is halfway to get it right with Sims personalities being influenced by their environment and actions. The way skills unlocks progressively new interactions can set up a lot of probabilities of different actions within the autonomy script (or even within the pool of outcomes of a social interaction). Much more I guess if you calculate that each emotional state gives to X actions different odds of being triggered etc.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Flap wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »

I must disagree. Sims 4 personalities relies on a mix of traits (that are kinda ok), skills and the Sim current emotion whereas Sims 3 personalities relies almost exclusively on traits. I prefer Sims 4 approach because when it works it is amazing and offers more natural Sims. Nowadays I find kinda of silly how Sims 3 personalities used to handle emotion in such an vague way (feeeling + or – based on moodlets without qualitative difference).

My impression is that Maxis is halfway to get it right with Sims personalities being influenced by their environment and actions. The way skills unlocks progressively new interactions can set up a lot of probabilities of different actions within the autonomy script (or even within the pool of outcomes of a social interaction). Much more I guess if you calculate that each emotional state gives to X actions different odds of being triggered etc.

Yeah, it's a hit or miss though. The problem lies in that you can give Sims whatever traits you want, but all Sims will react the same way to their decorations, all Sims will have the same emotional responses to stimuli, all Sims have the same general autonomy to nearby objects and use of them. So it doesn't really matter if a Sim has a skill in, say, guitar, because the unskilled Sim will come along and pick it up and play it and learn the skill while the skilled Sim goes to the PC to play video games (even without the Geek trait.) All conversational animations are the same for all Sims as well. There is very little to no autonomous individuality. Sure, it's there just under the surface, in a superficial way, the player has things they can select like "talk about favorite artist", but Sims don't do it on their own with animations or expressions to show their passions and preferences, and if they do talk about it, there's no way to even tell what they're talking about because they don't behave any differently.

I can't speak for Sims 3 much because I played it only a little and I just don't like it. But I did play Sims 2 extensively and it didn't have any emotion system, yet it was always quite clear what Sims were experiencing emotionally and they had very distinctive behaviors according to their personalities and preferences. I'd just really like to see more of that kind of programming in Sims 4.
    #Team Occult
  • RavennaRavenna Posts: 58 Member
    edited August 2020
    As someone whose been around since Sims 1, I honestly feel like Sims 3's open world was a huge mistake, because it created limitations and made things absolutely chug, and now with that expectation still going strong, it's almost the only thing diehard Sims 3 fans talk about. But the reality is that if they kept that feature Sims 4 would probably run like absolute garbage on most machines. And Sims shouldn't be a game that's exclusive to people who can afford top of the line computers. Grand Theft Auto is great for open world, but imagine building each house and building individually and also loading all of the objects in those buildings, all at once. Oof, is what you'd be saying when your graphics card and processor catch fire.

That aside, I really enjoy Sims 4, looking at my nearly 4000 hours, but I did really wish they'd just put in story progression, burglars, and cars already. We can get to the cool packs but for the love of butts, these are absolutely things they shouldn't have abandoned after moving on from Sims 3.
    Check out my stuff on the Sims 4 gallery under the ID 'RavennaSanguine'
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    Ravenna wrote: »
    As someone whose been around since Sims 1, I honestly feel like Sims 3's open world was a huge mistake, because it created limitations and made things absolutely chug, and now with that expectation still going strong, it's almost the only thing diehard Sims 3 fans talk about. But the reality is that if they kept that feature Sims 4 would probably run like absolute garbage on most machines.

I played Sims 3 on a PC that cost under $350, owned all EPs, many Stuff packs and the entire Sims 3 store with the exception of two worlds, and a ton of CC, and my game only started running slowly after IP. So a top of the line computer was not necessary, but it certainly helped in the long run.

Here's the thing, I play Sims 4 on that same computer, and just like Sims 3 the more I add to my game the worse Sims 4 runs. I don't even use much CC with Sims 4, so I would expect better performance from Sims 4.It will be interesting to see how many more packs it takes, before Sims 4 starts to lag just like Sims 3 did. I'm thinking it might not be too long.
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!