Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it sad that this is normal now?

Comments

• Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    shorty943p wrote: »
    Anybody on this forum ever met Will Wright? Believe me, he was glad to be rid of the AI and autonomy problems.

I'm sure he was glad to be rid of it as he stated one time building the sequel (TS2) was excruciating. There is a difference in route fail and implementation of game features that aren't even registering correctly which has nothing to do with autonomy or route issues.

Idle autonomy must (in any game) have more in it's bag of tricks than drink water, or shoot hoops, and or dance or hug. The problem to me with idles in TS4 is the fact there is nothing in the bag for a Sim to do but a few things. It's why they do things over and over and over as if obsessed with an object or autonomy action. I would rather see route fail than the same idle choice over and over and over.

I'm to the point I actually am expecting that Sims won't be able to knit in the knitting pack. lol This game has become that bad that we expect it.

People can do whatever they want with their money. But I'm not going to be one to say "Don't get me wrong, I love TS4...but" no, I'm going to say "This thing is a mess and I'm not buying one more thing". Not oh, yeah, EL is real buggy but I'm ready to hand money over for Knitting. Geez my parents would roll over if they thought I was throwing good money after bad.

I can hear it now, why are you going back out with that person after they dumped you, and broke your heart and treated you badly? Lol I won't buy because of voices in my head that taught me better.

I completely agree with this. And I'm in the same page. I haven't played in such a long time. I think I opened my game in an attempt to renovate Sulani, but just stopped because I have no interest in finishing and playing the game right now. I still play the predecessors and I've really been focused on ACNH ( Finally got my island to 5 stars yay lol). I do like the idea of the nifty knitting stuff, but I'm not investing in anymore sims 4 packs. Ixve given this game too much of the benefit of the doubt and yet time and time again its proven to disappointment me. So I'm sorry Sims 4, but we're through. I'm breaking up with you! Haha
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Fillups44 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 has overall been a lot more stable for me than The Sims 3 was.

Why even mention The Sims 3? This is about how buggy TS4 is!

Despite what you wrote, The Sims 3 is a lot more stable than TS4. If it's not stable for you then you haven't installed the only two mods that you really need for it: MasterController and Overwatch.

No. I don’t think it is my job to go to third party websites to download software to play a game that should just, you know, work. I don’t care how complicated it is; they made it, they can fix it, they choose not to.

—T
  • BotchedParrotBotchedParrot Posts: 11 New Member
    > @silentcyborg said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > My sims are also obsessed with drinking water, even without mods. It's frustrating when they ignore other needs to do so.
    >
    > I'm generally easygoing with bugs, as I get game dev is difficult/unpredictable. I'm fine with a handfull of minor bugs or 1-2 major ones (I successfully played pc LA Noir which required a mod to run - fun times), but ts4 has multiple, many of which are game breaking, and grow with each pack/update. It's honestly the buggiest game I've ever played, and my mods folder is host to a growing number of fixes, which I'd expect of an indie game, not a (very) expensive AAA title.

I got another weird one, and I don't know if it is a thing. It certainly does not look like a mod problem, given the mechanics. I have this household with a couple young kids. Had them start their homework simultaneously, and I had the patriarch do something else. There was never a problem with both kids doing the same thing at the same time and they'll find a path to wherever they like doing their homework. But one day, at least one of them had their book out while walking, and all of a sudden they stopped going where they needed to go. The book one of them had on the way completely disappeared as well! Hasn't happened before but I think it was because somehow both kids were targeting the same spot and one of them already got there first. But losing the book was most inconvenient. I've accidentally left a book behind on a lot before and it disappeared, but never like this!

Either I have to rebuy the book and make them do it, or I could just start over by reloading my save before all that. Problematic if you forget to save, also inconvenient to have to replace it, like some appliances after they break (had to replace one once when food got stuck in it and I couldn't cook anything - wasn't like it needed any repair!). Fortunately I had saved before I did any of that, so it was no problem reloading, but I imagine that would cause a headache if it keeps happening or when one forgets to do so.

I have a few other gripes about things which I feel should be turned around, but I have to live with the current "features" as they are.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2020

I completely agree with this. And I'm in the same page. I haven't played in such a long time. I think I opened my game in an attempt to renovate Sulani, but just stopped because I have no interest in finishing and playing the game right now. I still play the predecessors and I've really been focused on ACNH ( Finally got my island to 5 stars yay lol). I do like the idea of the nifty knitting stuff, but I'm not investing in anymore sims 4 packs. Ixve given this game too much of the benefit of the doubt and yet time and time again its proven to disappointment me. So I'm sorry Sims 4, but we're through. I'm breaking up with you! Haha
    ACNH is a great game. I have been enjoying it a lot. Stardew Valley is a ton of fun too. There is also a new game called Ooblets which inspired the game Paralives that Simmers have been enjoying too. I get tired of the assumption that just because someone is a Simmer, they only have to play the Sims games. That isn't what being a real gamer is about. Being a gamer means playing more than just one game whether it is video games, card games, or tabletop games. I truly feel sorry for people who have only played the Sims in their lifetime. There is such a vast array of entertainment for gamers now of days especially with indie gaming being more accepted now. It is like someone only wanting to wear one brand name of clothing. What a boring life that would be. I have been enjoying Farm Together and Planet Zoo lately too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    ACNH is a great game. I have been enjoying it a lot. Stardew Valley is a ton of fun too. There is also a new game called Ooblets which inspired the game Paralives that Simmers have been enjoying too. I get tired of the assumption that just because someone is a Simmer, they only have to play the Sims games. That isn't what being a real gamer is about. Being a gamer means playing more than just one game whether it is video games, card games, or tabletop games. I truly feel sorry for people who have only played the Sims in their lifetime. There is such a vast array of entertainment for gamers now of days especially with indie gaming being more accepted now. It is like someone only wanting to wear one brand name of clothing. What a boring life that would be. I have been enjoying Farm Together and Planet Zoo lately too.

I'm dying to try ACNH, but I'm not willing to buy a Switch in order to do it. I've heard that it can be played on PC so I've been looking into that (if it's legal).

Otherwise, I couldn't agree more with everything that you've said. There's room and so many games for everyone, it doesn't have to be life or a loyalty choice.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »

I'm dying to try ACNH, but I'm not willing to buy a Switch in order to do it. I've heard that it can be played on PC so I've been looking into that (if it's legal).

Otherwise, I couldn't agree more with everything that you've said. There's room and so many games for everyone, it doesn't have to be life or a loyalty choice.
    I would recommend buying it from Nintendo directly because online it is inflated right now. Also pro controller is wonderful if anyone has any joint pain playing games like I do.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • lyralyra Posts: 420 Member
    edited August 2020
    I just loaded up the game after a long time to try it out again. I regret it. The bugs are so numerous, and take you out of the immersion so frequently that it's very frustrating to play.

Note that I do not and never have played with mods or CC.

What I experienced while playing only 10 minutes:

-Sims get frozen in place, one action locked into their queue and they refuse to move - I had to hard reset each sim, sometimes I have to quit the game completely and restart
    -Can't give toddler a bath, action is cancelled x10 times no matter how I try to do it - have a hard time feeding them too in high chair
    -3x Speed up time stalls, not advancing time at all
    -Sim thinks there's an object in his way and there's not

It's just so frustrating and I want to enjoy the game but they really need to start fixing bugs - this game is expensive and while a few bugs are expected, there should not be the amount there is for the price they ask. It seems there are so many bugs that really hinder players' enjoyment.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    To7m wrote: »

Despite what you wrote, The Sims 3 is a lot more stable than TS4. If it's not stable for you then you haven't installed the only two mods that you really need for it: MasterController and Overwatch.

No. I don’t think it is my job to go to third party websites to download software to play a game that should just, you know, work. I don’t care how complicated it is; they made it, they can fix it, they choose not to.

—T

Oh the irony! That's exactly what you have to do with TS4, except you would require much more than two mods just to make TS4 run properly, lol!

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    To7m wrote: »

—T

Oh the irony! That's exactly what you have to do with TS4, except you would require much more than two mods just to make TS4 run properly, lol!

Yes, because some of the problems that were inherent in Sims 3 is inherent in Sims 4 as well the Sims relies more an A.I, system which does require tweaking especially when new packs are installed and intertwine with code with previous packs and if not done regularly and important to take care of any bugs before laying down new code instead of patching as you go and EA/Maxis has an poor track record doing this and all said is from observation.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    TS4 is playable without mods. It has bugs but it's playable.
    TS3 is unplayable without mods.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    telmarina wrote: »

*Isla Paradiso ist unplayable without mods. The rest of the game seems fine to me. I play vanilla
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

For you maybe but for me I played Sims 3 w/o the use of any mods and the only pack I had an problem with was IP and I just did not play in it. You only speak about your experience.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

For you maybe but for me I played Sims 3 w/o the use of any mods and the only pack I had an problem with was IP and I just did not play in it. You only speak about your experience.

Yes, sure. In my experience TS4 is playable without mods. It has bugs but it's playable.
    TS3 is unplayable without mods (even before IP, at the second generation).
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Yes, sure. In my experience TS4 is playable without mods. It has bugs but it's playable.

Which part of the Sims 3 was "unplayable" for you then?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    It is subjective, i feel. Some people might have bugs in ts4 that they feel make their game unplayable while others see these same bugs as nothing more than a minor annoyance. Same with previous games. No need for us to question each other.

Which part of the Sims 3 was "unplayable" for you then?

The whole 3 game with IP but not complete (i think it had one more ep next). I payed for IP and it totally broke my game. Heavy heavy lag. I wasn't in the foruns back then nor do i have to be to try to find ways to save my game. It is unplayable without mods/new save files, whatever...

But... before IP the worlds were already full of routing issues, sims would get stuck in places and many other issues that made me lose save files over and over. It was badly designed.

Trying to play 3 witout mods or specially modified saves, it's easy to realize that 4 has many bugs but it is playable while 3 isn't.
    edited August 2020
    Mareah wrote: »
    It is subjective, i feel. Some people might have bugs in ts4 that they feel make their game unplayable while others see these same bugs as nothing more than a minor annoyance. Same with previous games. No need for us to question each other.

There are situations that make you lose save files/make you delete sims/cause heavy heavy lag and there are bugs that just simply don't do those things.

Sometimes i just would want to know how many people plays 3 now without mods/modified world saves...? Someone with a super powerfull computer? May it be possible in a super powerfull computer? I don't know. By then i had a mid range desktop that run most of my brother's games...

Nowadays i have a potato or whatever. You know, a bread toaster :tongue: laptop. And yet it runs 4 smoothly. Without mods, for loooong generations.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

Exactly. There are people who still experience bugs, lag, and corrupt save files or saves that disappear completely for no apparent reason other than the game having updated.

It's kinda like the luck of the draw when it comes to a person's computer, The Sims games and how they play. Bugs I may experience may not be ones you do because we play differently. Some people get lucky and it runs flawlessly, some are unlucky and everything is a hassle that's for any Sims game.
    KqGXVAC.jpg

Exactly. There are people who still experience bugs, lag, and corrupt save files or saves that disappear completely for no apparent reason other than the game having updated.

It's kinda like the luck of the draw when it comes to a person's computer, The Sims games and how they play. Bugs I may experience may not be ones you do because we play differently. Some people get lucky and it runs flawlessly, some are unlucky and everything is a hassle that's for any Sims game.

I get that. But it's not comparable, bugs in 3 vs 4...? C'mon...

I've also seen TS4 players complain about lost saves, teleporting Sims, invisible Sims, Sims stuck in some kind of loop that required a reset to fix, verybuggy DLC launches. It seems that when it comes to issues, TS3 and TS4 are about right on par.

As others have already mentioned, it's a matter of individual perception. I had a great experience with TS3 and I still do. I know how to keep my game running smoothly. My only wish is that TS3 would have received a 64-bit conversion before they stopped supporting it. A 64-bit conversion would have solved a lot of problems that were a result of insufficient memory.

I also wish that when EA/Maxis stopped supporting TS3, they had stopped selling it. I wish that they had given away the entire collection for free for a limited time as they did with TS2. If you don't support your software anymore, stop making money off of it. But that's a whole 'nother issue. :/
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    Cynna wrote: »

I've also seen TS4 players complain about lost saves, teleporting Sims, invisible Sims, Sims stuck in some kind of loop that required a reset to fix, verybuggy DLC launches. It seems that when it comes to issues, TS3 and TS4 are about right on par.

As others have already mentioned, it's a matter of individual perception. I had a great experience with TS3 and I still do. I know how to keep my game running smoothly. My only wish is that TS3 would have received a 64-bit conversion before they stopped supporting it. A 64-bit conversion would have solved a lot of problems that were a result of insufficient memory.

I also wish that when EA/Maxis stopped supporting TS3, they had stopped selling it. I wish that they had given away the entire collection for free for a limited time as they did with TS2. If you don't support your software anymore, stop making money off of it. But that's a whole 'nother issue. :/

I also played sims 3 and i know 'how to make it playable'. But what im saying is that without those tweaks/mods it's unplayable imo. I never said it is unplayable with mods.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited August 2020
    jmac2727 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but your argument does not hold water. These are not some obscure bugs that you really have to dig into the game to find. These are bugs that ANY player playing for longer then 10 to 15 minutes would notice immediately. The eating bug is the perfect example, it's impossible that that was missed. So one of two things happened, they either failed to play test the expansion AT all, or they did do play testing, knew the bugs were there, and released anyway. I find that I'm unhappy with both of those scenarios, and I feel I'm justified in that disappointment.

Not everyone has the eating bug though, pretty sure I haven't encountered this.

Also, I mean, debugging is never simple. Finding, understanding and fixing errors (without causing new ones to appear) is a lot more complicated than just spotting it in gameplay.

Yes there are bugs and they need to fix them, but people often oversimplify the actual process of bug fixing. For one, because not everyone will experience the same bugs and sometimes, new bug fixes might fix the issue for some but not everyone. I really believe that a game like TS is a pain to maintain, and will always be prone to bugs.
    edited August 2020

I also played sims 3 and i know 'how to make it playable'. But what im saying is that without those tweaks/mods it's unplayable imo. I never said it is unplayable with mods.

But I never mentioned that mods were what I used to keep my game running smoothly. You assumed.

My main issue with TS3 was insufficient memory. I had every expansion pack and practically the entire store. In addition, I crammed my game with all manner of cc hairs, clothing, skin tones, and furnishing. Any time that my game acted up, I knew that I had picked up bad cc or I'd choked it with too much. I learned to do regular housekeeping with my downloads folder. If I downloaded something new, I got rid of something old that I didn't want anymore or that I never used. I also learned how to clear my cache files after every game. If my game was slowing down during a play session, I saved, shut down, and booted back up again.

I didn't take the plunge with error-correcting mods such as More Awesome Than You and then NRaas until nearer the end of TS3's life cycle, I knew that I wouldn't have to update as often. NRaas gave me the greater control that I'd been looking for. However, my game was smooth, playable, and enjoyable before that.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

Yes. Again, it depends on the player and their computer but it's possible. There are some people experiencing more problems with Sims 4 than they did with Sims 3 just like some players experienced more problems with Sims 3 than Sims 4.

Like Cynna said they're about on par with each other. There are players who find workarounds to fix their problems but some are using mods to fix Sims 4 because it is unplayable in it's current state without mods to them. For some they get so used to it they forget bugs exist until the game is updated and they have to wait for the mods to be updated too. It wasn't acceptable with Sims 3 and it shouldn't be with Sims 4 either.

It really isn't surprising to me though since it's brought to us by the same makers. They don't seem to learn and change for the better, because of course not. We as players don't often stay on them to do better so they just keep the same pattern of behavior. If they can up and abandon Sims 3 with only a final so called fix to force everyone to Origin (which apparently made some people's games even worse) and it got to the point some people were saying when they talked to customer service they were directed to mods to fix the issue what makes anyone think Sims 4 will be different?

Then it's running longer too. It'll be a mess for some people in the end, just like Sims 3 was for some and they'll start all over again with Sims 5 unless forced to do better.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

I'm able to play Sims 3 fine without mods.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.