Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can you rotate a house with family living in it?

So I downloaded this beautiful house, made a few changes to it, placed it in my city and moved a family into it. And that's when I realized that I placed it with the front facing the side yard. Is it possible to rotate a house with a family living in it? I started to evict the family to edit it but it said it would sell all the belongings. I don't want to do that!

Comments

• Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,992 Member
    edited August 2020
    You have to move the family out, than you can bulldoze the lot, and place the house again, only this time, make sure you rotate it currently. After that, move the family right back in. Sorry there’s not another way to do it

Maybe there is a way to do it with a mod, but if there is, I don’t know about it. Either way, any changes, you made prior, should stick, if you copy the lot and than place it again
    Post edited by Damienf519 on
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    To keep all their belongings, evict them, copy the house to the library, bulldoze it, and replace it with the copy, rotating it properly. Then place the family back in, and all of their possessions will be there. To be on the safe side and not lose any of the little things, you can put books and food from the refrigerator in their personal inventory before you evict them, then put them back in the bookcase and refrigerator.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited August 2020
    I think you only get this message using evict if there are things in household inventory. If that's the case, place everything they own on the lot so there is nothing in household inventory, evict them to the clipboard, turn the house while they're on the clipboard and put them right back in. The keeping them on the clipboard is important in this case. I've used this a lot when I want to keep things on a lot that are tied to a sim (like paintings, for instance). Usually everything stays on the lot this way because it doesn't break the connection of the household to the save, although once in a great while, I've lost something anyway.

Of course, if the household doesn't have things like relationships to other sims in this game, it would be pretty easy to save the household along with the house to your bin, get rid of both in game now, and simply place the occupied lot back in the right direction.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Actually, anything in both household and personal inventory will stay with them, even through saving them to the library. I've moved households that way often. It actually works better than an in-game move to another town, because when you use the in-game move to a new neighborhood, even with choosing to not sell their furnishings, some things always get lost in the move. My households lost their workout equipment every single time. Saving everything to household and personal inventory ensures that nothing gets lost.
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Actually, anything in both household and personal inventory will stay with them, even through saving them to the library. I've moved households that way often. It actually works better than an in-game move to another town, because when you use the in-game move to a new neighborhood, even with choosing to not sell their furnishings, some things always get lost in the move. My households lost their workout equipment every single time. Saving everything to household and personal inventory ensures that nothing gets lost.

I agree with you on all that, and I do the same things. It's just that I think the only time I may have encountered that message is when it involved an evicted household. It doesn't matter with anything on the lot, so I thought it had been related to household inventory.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited August 2020
    Evict the family, then use the "move lot" button, I think it looks like an hand. Then it will let you rotate it. You don't have to bulldoze. I have moved lots around like this before.
    Post edited by KevinL5275 on
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
    You can move built lots in the game with the world editor? I tried it before and I couldn't move the lot, so I thought it couldn't be done that way.
    You can move built lots in the game with the world editor? I tried it before and I couldn't move the lot, so I thought it couldn't be done that way.

Yes, it works. I hadn't done it in a while, so went in and checked it. You select the "hand," then click on the lot you want to turn (or move). To turn it, click on the same lot again and the usual rotate lot stuff you see when you first place a lot comes up. If you wanted to move to another lot, then of course, you'd click on the new lot instead of the same one again.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    Evict the family, then use the "move lot" button, I think it looks like an arrow. Then it will let you rotate it. You don't have to bulldoze. I have moved lots around like this before.

That is great! I never knew it worked this way. Wish i had since it would have saved me time.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Be careful when adjusting lots with Tube Elevators.
    Sometime reorienting lots with Tube Elevators, causes routing issues with the elevators.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    suzses wrote: »

Yes, it works. I hadn't done it in a while, so went in and checked it. You select the "hand," then click on the lot you want to turn (or move). To turn it, click on the same lot again and the usual rotate lot stuff you see when you first place a lot comes up. If you wanted to move to another lot, then of course, you'd click on the new lot instead of the same one again.

I use this method quite often, especially for commercial lots when I realize I placed them incorrectly.