Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Blackwell Chronicles (On Hiatus)

Comments

• ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    @_sims_Yimi I do! Here:
    Chapter 23
    Haha I had a feeling you'd say that. I would love to say something that would justify that, but while Morgyn didn't necessarily intend to put Cordelia in danger, the truth is that it just didn't occur to them to think about her safety at all - which obviously isn't any better. Sure, I could spin it to say that Morgyn didn't want Cordelia to be with them once they found said presence to protect her (and perhaps that's how they'd reason this if challenged)... but the bottom line is that Morgyn just followed an impulse with little care about how that would affect anyone else. So... you're not wrong.
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    Almost perfect. Needs more pancakes, tho'. :yum:
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    Chapter 23
    Haha I had a feeling you'd say that. I would love to say something that would justify that, but while Morgyn didn't necessarily intend to put Cordelia in danger, the truth is that it just didn't occur to them to think about her safety at all - which obviously isn't any better. Sure, I could spin it to say that Morgyn didn't want Cordelia to be with them once they found said presence to protect her (and perhaps that's how they'd reason this if challenged)... but the bottom line is that Morgyn just followed an impulse with little care about how that would affect anyone else. So... you're not wrong.
    Hey, are you and mercury both psychics that can read my brain, now? I'm at a disadvantage here XD And I knew it! He's acting just like a child that doesn't consider the consequences of his actions. That paired with power is a very dangerous combination. Fitting for the sage of untamed magic, but darn it - *throws gnomes angrily*

J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    That's so cool that you use music for relationships. I'm intrigued!

Songs sometimes pop into my head when I'm writing dialogue, or sometimes I will name my chapters after songs. I would love to have songs for relationships. The only character I really have a song for is Ian, and it's depressing. I need a better one, lol.

I'm curious what Dandy and L Faba's song would be? Or maybe L Faba and Cordelia?
    I'm really curious what Morgyn will find in Forgotten Hollow and what the vampires are up to. Morgyn does seem to be a little self-centered, but I do think that they care for Cordelia in some sense. I liked the change in perspective. :)
    @_sims_Yimi
    I mean, the only pancake-related song I've managed to find is this, but it's not exactly the story vibe I'm going for :D

Haha not very psychic, but you're very consistent in your convictions. Which is a good quality to have :)
    @lone_cat Ah I'm the other way around, the dialogue comes to my head while I'm listening to music. And then I'm like, shut up, guys, I was just trying to enjoy this song :D

Now I'm very curious what Ian's song is.

Dandy and L Faba
    L Faba and Cordelia - I actually have a better suited one than the below, but it ocurred to me it could be a bit of a spoiler. The below is not perfect, but definitely summarises how much L Faba "loves" Cordelia.
    Re your chapter comment
    lone_cat wrote: »
    Morgyn does seem to be a little self-centered
    Hahaha you're very generous there. I'd say more than a little lol.

Haha! That would get distracting. :D I am weird and I can't listen to anything with lyrics in a song when I write or read. I get distracted too easily. I was one of those people in college that had to find some dingy corner in the library to study and all my friends were like, how can you study here? It's too quiet.

Anyway, those songs were so perfect.
    "Sharing beds like little kids and laughing til our ribs get tough," that was perfect for Dandy/Cordelia. I wonder if there is something more between them going by the next line in the song. I will just have to wait and see. :)

"I'm ready, but not willing to give myself to you," this sounds so much like Morgyn. Cordelia needs to be careful around Morgyn, I see lots of heartbreak if she stays with them.

Just the title "Somewhere only we know", makes me think of Dandy/L Faba. They both are elves, and I'm guessing they know of a place that no one else knows and maybe it's changed (or they have both changed), and they can't go back to what it was, but they still try. Just my interpretation.

And I could definitely see L Faba feeling this way about Cordelia. Cordelia better not anger the sage anymore, lol.

And now I'm curious what Dandy's favorite pancakes are? And does he use real maple syrup? I don't even know if there are maple trees in Sylvan Glade, lol.

And Ian's song would be Creep by Radiohead. I know, depressing and creepy, maybe I'll come up with a happier one later on, lol. Ian has some self-esteem issues, and he often feels like he doesn't belong or is a weirdo. So that song always pops into my head.
    @lone_cat I'm actually like that too, I need complete silence while I read and write because when I listen to music I focus on the lyrics too much. I tend to listen to music before writing, and walk around in a circle like a weirdo, and after that I proceed to write :D Tooootally normal, me :D

I'm glad you liked them, I really enjoyed seeing your interpretation!
    I also love that line! As for the next one, I guess it could be interpreted in a couple of different ways. But you're right that there's a level of ambiguity to the song, which I also think fits well.

Ah yeah, that whole song is very Morgyn haha. I'm willing to give you my time sometimes, but plz give me everything - and even that might not be enough. Oh boy. I guess one saving grace is that relationships do change over time, so these songs might change too - that goes for all of them.

Love your take on Somewhere only we know! And a good warning for Cordelia on the next one haha.

I reckon he adds several different toppings and the whole thing is complete sweetness overkill :D

Ooooh! Yes, I could see that! Not that I think Ian is creepy, of course, but I can see why he'd connect with that song. I've actually always liked that song a lot, and have definitely had moments when I could relate to it, especially when I was younger. So this has just made him more relatable to me.
    Haha! I totally got this image in my head.
    0e6a11fa7afd21cdf147ccc8fc8b0595f509000c6db4a0f0958deb478f9e15b4.jpg
    Dandy in a nutshell. Except he probably would include pancakes in there somewhere, lol.
    You are definitely right, relationships can change. I'm really interested to see what new songs you have once things start to change. Not right away, of course. No spoilers. :)

I like the song a lot too and can relate to it as well. Eventually, I'll share more background on Ian. :)
    I'll just...leave this here and go hide.

Chapter 24: Down the Rabbit Hole

jEOSLVY.jpg
  • SnuffyBucketSnuffyBucket Posts: 569 Member
    Oh this was lovely and romantic. <3
    No don't hide! Come back! Unless we're hiding from that creepy bakery owner in which case, me first, lol.
    Here we go into the darkness...
    Banner-2-with-filters.jpg
    Almost Eternal
  • Ember_FoxEmber_Fox Posts: 46 Member
    @ThePlumbob
    It might just be me but a possible feedback for chapter 24 is that I found it a bit confusing with the picture switch from the magic realm to Forgotten hollow and several hours passing. The *** was too small for me to really notice them at first as they were between the pictures. Could they somehow be made bigger? Another option would be to do something like this:

(Magic realm picture)

Text: Several hours later....

(Forgotten hollow picture)

At least for me it would make it easier to follow with regards to time changing and place changing. Sorry if I am nitpicking.

With regards to the story I don't have much to say. I am looking forward to reading more :) Oh, and that child reminds me of Claudia from the book "Interview with the Vampire" by Anne Rice.
    @SnuffyBucket Can't say I was going for romantic, but I'll totally take it 😆
    Why hide from the bakery owner, she has all sorts of lovely baked goods in her shop! Maybe even baumkuchen, your favourite! Just step right in... 😆😇

@Ember_Fox
    Thank you, that's useful feedback! I do tend to jump between scenes a fair bit, and it will probably get even more prolific in the future, so definitely something I'll need to think about 😊

I don't necessarily want to flat out say how much time has passed, since it is intended to be an abrupt jump into the next scene (technically speaking it was actually the next day rather than just a few hours later, but that's not really that important for you as the reader to know) - and some of the jumps coming up do make the amount of time that passed purposefully ambiguous, or might even be flashbacks. But I'll definitely think about whether there's a more prominent way I could highlight the divider in future chapters, so thanks again for sharing that!

And yay! I am a huge fan of Anne Rice books, they definitely inform a big chunk of how I see vampires, so I'm really happy that's what you thought of! Interview with a Vampire was such a good book! Though I liked the second one even more 😊
  • SnuffyBucketSnuffyBucket Posts: 569 Member
    @ThePlumbob
    Would totally sacrifice my neck for baumkuchen.
    Banner-2-with-filters.jpg
    Almost Eternal
    edited August 2020
    I read this in the car today, but I had to read it again on the pc so I could comment properly.
    Poor Cordelia. I wonder if this is her first real big crush that seemed to be heading somewhere. She’s so focused on him that she’s even alienating her friends. That’s not good, Cordie. Snap out of it… ah, I know she won’t. :weary:

Man, L Faba is just a horrible person, isn’t she? That wasn’t mischievous. That was cruel. And she thoroughly enjoyed it. All because Cordelia is close to Dandelion, and Faba can't handle someone stealing her toy away. I enjoy ranting about Morgyn, but Faba may actually be the worse one here. At least Morgyn doesn’t deliberately cause others pain for their own entertainment/self-satisfaction. (except for the trials ordeal he put Cordie through, but that wasn't just to hurt.)
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    @DeafSimmer Damsel is probably far too elegant of a way to describe our poor Cordelia. But she certainly finds herself in distress a lot :D I've said from the begining that she has a hidden Unlucky trait - if this was TS3, I would definitely give her that trait.

Oh, I remember My Little Pony from when I was little, though my memories don't go far beyond the fact they had pretty manes 😆
    Oh yeah, can't trust a vampire - and I can't imagine Cordelia would, after this encounter!

Oh boy, you had some extremely powerful sorcerers in your story, I'd definitely be scared if they made an appearance in my save!

@SnuffyBucket
    It's like some prey want to be caught! Maybe I'll recommend an alternative, non-lethal bakery, my friend 😆

@_sims_Yimi
    Sure sounds possible. But yes, your advice seems to be falling on deaf ears - not that it matters now, she probably has more pressing concerns than crushes at the minute!

L Faba hates Cordelia, no embellishing around it.
    I loved this chapter! No need to hide. :)
    I loved the cliffhanger. I loved the creepy little vampire girl. I totally agree the girl reminds me of interview with a vampire. I never read the books (it's on my ever-growing list of books I need to read) but saw the movie. Probably not the same, since books are usually better than movies.

Man, Cordelia needs a good friend that will sit down with her and tell her to stop obsessing over Morgyn and they are not good relationship material (don't know if she'd listen). She's already feeling crazy. Not a good sign. But she's young, so I guess I get it, and sometimes you just have to learn the hard way. But in Cordelia's case, she is putting herself in danger since Morgyn is a spellcaster and is associating with vampires and who knows what else. And L Faba is using this to her advantage and manipulating Cordelia. Cordelia needs to forget those sages in the magic realm, they are too much trouble, but then we wouldn't have a story if there was no conflict or danger.

I wonder what will happen next; I am guessing Cordelia survives, but that can't be pleasant, getting mauled by a little child.
    @lone_cat Thank you! :)
    You know what, Interview with a Vampire is one of those rare film adaptations where not only is the film extremely faithful to the book, but also really well-cast. (With the exception of Antonio Banderas, since his character was meant to look younger, but he did still capture his vibe well). So you probably got a pretty accurate feel for the book! I would still recommend it - well, the whole Vampire Chronicles trilogy :)

Yes, Cordelia might just need to get burned. Well, first things first, she mainly needs to survive this encounter. She'd definitely be best off leaving the sages on their own, but I guess it's a little late for that now!
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    I didn't realise I was hibernating for this long.
    I feel so sorry for Cordelia. Morgyn's silence, LFaba sending her to her death (maybe vamps are harmless and I totally misunderstood her but for now, I can't with her.) Her infatuation with Morgyn is deadly (literally).

Officially putting in my vote for Blackwell Chronicles OST playlist. Kthxnobye. c:
    edited August 2020
    @mercuryfoam
    Ha, you referencing hibernating with vampires about made me chuckle.

Cordelia's not having a good time (big understatement). It does seem like her infatuation could be deadly!

Funny you should mention a soundtrack playlist, the next chapter does actually have a "theme song" of sorts :D

Speaking of which...

Short and sweet update today. Also happens to be another first person POV chapter told from the perspective of a new character (although confusingly enough not the same character as the one shown in the teaser image).

I had a bit too much fun with this one.

Since a few of you enjoyed the song extras - I do have a "theme song" for this chapter, you can check it out in the spoiler tag below after you've read the chapter:
    Post edited by ThePlumbob on
    @DeafSimmer
    Well, you could argue those things had a snowball effect. Had Cordelia not had her sprite problem, she would have never gone to the magic realm and met the sages, and had she not involved herself with them she'd never wind up in vampire territory. But it's a bit too late for what-ifs now. She could definitely use a bit more luck, but I'm not sure she's going to be graced with any.
  • mypalsim1mypalsim1 Posts: 4,282 Member
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    @ThePlumbob
    Okay, first, we got some sprites going after Cordelia. Second, a spellcaster antagonizes her. And third, she gets attacked by vampires. What's next, evil mermaids and aliens? The supernatural world certainly notices her. Just saying...
    She's just "tasty" in so many ways! hahahahaha!
    @ThePlumbob The theme song really suited this chapter! And now I have a new song to add to my archives, muhahaha.
    I really like the chapters where we see things from a different person's perspective. The one of Morgyn was really interesting, too. Though this one is way more dangerous for our little miss protagonist :worried: I would scold her for being naive and not thinking about her own safety, but well, right now she has other things to worry about - like her own safety. :sweat_smile: Cordelia really got herself into a mess now. Let's hope sim-Babette actually takes her close to where Morgyn is, so they can try to rescue her :scream:
    J6AKQqX.jpg