Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you prefer open world or open lots?

124...Next

Comments

• simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Open world
    Given the fact there are at any given time 100 or more Sims going about there lives. So there must be a balance between open world and open lots such as retail and other commercial lots without crashing the game. Plus not many folks can afford a serious gaming PC. Do we really want the Sims for the rich and throw hardworking players under the bus.

Yeah, I'm not even close to being rich and I was able to get a serious gaming PC. Besides, a bigger issue is the utilization of 64 bits. There are serious misconceptions and excuses thrown around the community with this concept.

BTW, I voted open world, because I disagree with the thread's framing and I'd want MORE/BEYOND, not between/compromise. o:)
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Open world
    Susim62 wrote: »
    I'm a rotational player, and open world doesn't work for this style of play.
    Also, we wouldn't be able to travel between worlds the way we do now.
    Contrary to popular opinion, if Sims 5 is open world I'm out.

That's not true, it CAN work. I happily make it work, and prefer it. And it's 2020, we could theoretically have world travel and open hoods.

You should look into specifics when Sims 5 comes out, don't assume things.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    edited July 2020
    open world with open lots :)
    i have best of both in my sims 3 game
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited August 2020
    Open world
    Open lots AND open world.

I like to explore... no particular destination in mind, which means that a loading screen between "districts" is a deal-breaker for me. Either get it done right so that we don't need loading screens or get off the can.

Secondly: the term is "game development" not "game stalling". Don't expect game development to wait for you so that you can catch up with technology. If we did that, we'd still be trying to put wheels on horse driven carts instead of having had men walk on the moon in 1969.

And I'm not a guy with the latest game-machine. I'm playing Sims 3 and all its packs on a Vivobook because that's all I can afford at this time. Maybe when our finances get better I can afford a smoking gaming PC, but right now...I put up with linitations. But far be it from me to ask others to hold back their tech advances just so I can catch up and far be it for me to ask a game manufacturer to not push game development boundaries.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • DeadManHBKDeadManHBK Posts: 117 Member
    definitely open world. i love that about ts3, it's just so fun to be able to just explore around the town. it helped me find people when you were supposed to interact/befriend them, and it also helped me find things (seeds, rocks, stone, etc.) i hope they bring it back, honestly.
    500c175dfecfd4bfdb430b6ae61d85abc33cef98_hq.gif

A n a l Na t h r a c h D o c h e'l D e'n m h a
    A n a l Na t h r a c h T i e r a N a t r a c h...
  • summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    Open lots
    I actually just can't stand open world. It was super buggy and slow and destroyed every computer I had Sims 3 on. I never thought about what that person said though about letting Sims enjoy the rabbit hole, but I completely agree. I like to watch what the pets do during that time they're away.
    1500x500.jpg
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    In between (please explain)
    I'd prefer something like open neighborhoods, though I don't care that much. Not going to lie, when 3 first came out I hated it. It was so different, the Sims looked awful, and obviously the base was much more bare than 2 with expansions. I stopped playing for years until the pets pack came out. After that, I got used to the open world, but I do not really prefer it. It is a lot of things going on at once and the open worlds seem to come with a trade off of not being able to hop between worlds easily, which is disappointing.

The way lots worked in 1 and 2, it made sense that you could not go anywhere without the loading screen. You were restricted to the lot. I appreciate open lots that allow you to walk around the neighborhood. It makes the world fill bigger, even though they are so small. However, open lots made it annoying that each house you could reach required a loading screen. If I can see it and walk to it, it should already be loaded. Plus open neighborhoods should allow for a smaller scale open world feel, but allow for loading screens to pop between neighborhoods and worlds.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Open world
    There's no reason that open lots couldn't exist with open worlds. They did in TS3. Performance would be even better in the future. EA/Maxis have already made the move to a full 64-bit platform for The Sims and they're not turning back. The 64-bit platform would make a huge difference. As long as a computer has sufficient memory, the game would be allowed to take any free memory that is needed in order to run smoothly. These days, it's increasingly common for gaming computers to ship with 16 to 32 gigs of memory. Custom orders ship with more.

The players who insist on playing games on computers that weren't meant for playing games are going to be left behind. That's not a guess, it's a fact. EA has already shed some of those players midstream with TS4 (which I didn't agree with). Therefore, anyone who wants to play a new game for years to come should consider saving for upgrades or a new computer as soon as is reasonably possible.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Open world
    Susim62 wrote: »
    I'm a rotational player, and open world doesn't work for this style of play.
    Also, we wouldn't be able to travel between worlds the way we do now.
    Contrary to popular opinion, if Sims 5 is open world I'm out.

There are TS3 simmers who play the game rotationally so that style of play DOES work in an open world. Ask them and they will teach you how.

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    Open world
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I really hated how in ts3 everything was rabbithole
    so I really don't want open world minus open lots
    definitely out of 2 I prefer open lots by far

but I also think the real good is somewhere in between

like level open neighborhood
    so you can do stuff off lot and interact with neighbors

Every rabbit hole in TS3 can be converted into active lots.

Open world systems can create whatever level of openness a simmer would want, so this would be the best one.

• SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Both !
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • EverclearBoyEverclearBoy Posts: 151 Member
    I would say I like a mix. Like Get to Work. I can go with my Sim to work and enjoy the special gameplay there and change of scenery if I want, or I can just send them off if I want to focus around the home. Its a bit of extra coding to make possible but I really appreciate the effort that has gone into the jobs you can go to if you want. But being able to go to Restaurants thanks to Dine Out is awesome to have once more, so it really helps break up a routine of gameplay to keep things interesting. I just wish we had Tomb Hunting the Pyramids once more :(
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I would like more open worlds, but the company needs to make sure they aren’t empty feeling like Sims 3 often felt for me.

I would go for something like open neighborhoods, if it’s more realistic for optimizing.

Whatever method, I just want populated lots everywhere I go!
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited October 2020
    Many Worlds like the Sims 4 but each one is open. So the only time you have a loading screen is when traveling to a new world.

I would also settle for open neighborhoods.
  • cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    I play Sims 2, 3 and 4 and much prefer the open lot in 4. I find it very hard managing large households in Sims 3 open world and, of course, in Sims 4 all the other worlds are available in one save.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Open lots
    I think one of the most annoying thing about TS3 open neighbourhoods was the constant loading of stuff. If I took my sim across the road or across the town it was the same thing and sometimes even switching the view the other direction I would get those texture and mesh loading moments where everything was a shapeless grey blob. I also hated all the empty public lots every time I visited, it felt like my sims were living in a ghost town.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited October 2020
    Open world
    There is no in between for me, if they can do it in Sims 3, why wont they do it for The Sims 5?

Sims 3 open world is already close to perfect, minus the routing issues sometime but it can be fixed with tweaks.

And shouldnt be Sequel supposed to improve upon the prequel features? not eliminating it altogether.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I really like closed world but at the same time I like rabbit holes as well.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Open world
    Given the fact there are at any given time 100 or more Sims going about there lives. So there must be a balance between open world and open lots such as retail and other commercial lots without crashing the game. Plus not many folks can afford a serious gaming PC. Do we really want the Sims for the rich and throw hardworking players under the bus.
    Well the people who are unable to save up and buy a new pc every 3-4 years could stick with the amazingly limited Sims 4 and not punish those of us who can save money over a large period of time or just afford a gaming pc.

Also Sims 3 should never be the judge of how open world would run they could never be bothered to open up the game to 64 bit even Sims 4 started out extremely limiting the game with 32 bit players in mind only recently did they cut them off to the newer packs so the game could run smoothly with the endless packs that are to come.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    It would be awesome to have open neighborhoods to reduce loading screens and so Sims could walk next door without loading screens. I think it would be a great compromise between all loading screens to travel and a completely open world. B)
    4kkjdXo.png

• KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    I loved the "open world" of TS3 and really miss it. I don't care for having loading screens constantly. (I do understand why we don't have it but my computers have always been good enough that it's not a problem. I understand why EA has made the game so that even people without really good machines can still play.)

I like sending my Sims to work where I can go with them sometimes, but I like it that I can choose to send them off to the rabbit hole work so that I can concentrate on the other Sims in the family who are at home. Work from home possibilities are nice too as long as sometimes I can send them off to the rabbit hole.

I miss not being able to have Sims go to an actual bookstore or grocery store to buy something (and the ones I've seen created don't do it for me. Retail stores in TS4 feel too much like going to an Apple store. Might as well order it online.