Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We don't need Sims 5

Comments

• DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    yagwit wrote: »
    I'm probably a minority, but I would like a Sims 5 where the characters are true to life. The cartoon art style is breaks immersion. I would go to base again and buy all the packs for all "alpha" type content.

I agree. The people who like that cartoon style should just go and play final fantasy or other, instead of trying to turn Sims into it. Whats the point in having all your games look the same? Sims was original and very popular the way it was, with its own style or else it wouldn't have survived into a 2, 3 and then enough to have a 4 in the first place. Its similar to cosmopolitanising the sims, or globalising it, in the way that cosmopolitanism and globalisation is argued to be causing the loss of unique cultures, with them all becoming this one big combined culture. Why would you want all of your games to eventually become the same? BORING!
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited July 2020
    yagwit wrote: »
    I'm probably a minority, but I would like a Sims 5 where the characters are true to life. The cartoon art style is breaks immersion. I would go to base again and buy all the packs for all "alpha" type content.

I agree. The people who like that cartoon style should just go and play final fantasy or other, instead of trying to turn Sims into it.

It's been a cartoon style since the beginning so it's not turning it into it... it already was...

A little bit rude to tell people to go play something else when you want to change the franchise from something it was known for and a lot of people expect from it.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • janwearsbracesjanwearsbraces Posts: 53 Member
    I feel two ways about it. On the one hand, there's the money I've spent on the Sims4 & its packs. On the other, if 5 would be an improvement where we could get more Sim traits, height sliders in CAS, ponds & rivers, spiral staircases (see my signature), etc...then I'd buy it.
    Spiral staircases please!
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited July 2020
    Wugri wrote: »
    In terms of alternatives, there are two competitors trying their hand at it: Paralives and Paradox Tectonic's game. Paradox Tectonic is keeping their cards close to their chest at the moment until they're ready to announce, but from what I've seen of Paralives, its fanbase has been expanding very quickly. That's not to say that I've entirely given up on EAxis - I want them to step up to the plate and make TS5 great just like the older iterations, TS2 and TS3 (and TS1 was pretty legendary too!). Because basically, I want the life simulation genre to be full of amazing games. If they are ALL great, I have enough money to buy all of them. But if any of them are as poor as TS4 (which I got free) then I won't hesitate not buying those particular games.

@ClaronoOfJoy If Rod Humble worked on Sims 3... he'll know what the fans of 3 want in the game and how frustrated Sims 3 players have been at the shallowness of the next iteration. Paradox's forums have been buzzing with ideas on what Sims 3 players want in the game that is in development. If it provides some needed competition and a good solid swift kick in EA's ***...then good. Maybe it'll wake the company up.

A quote in an article I found... pretty much sums it all up:
    I ASKED WILL WRIGHT WHAT HE'D TAKE AWAY FROM THE SIMS; HE GAVE ME A PITYING LOOK AND SAID "I WOULD ADD MORE"

Rod Humble

Studio head
    Instead of improving The Sims 4 why not just move on and start The Sims 5 era?

Something a lot of people don't understand is no matter how many packs you buy for The Sims 4 it will never reach any new heights because of the way it is built. It's 2020, it is time for an upgraded, modern version of The Sims.

@SimmerGeorge, Shhhhhhh... EA is making a lot of money off those "simmers..." :evil grin:
    More money stuffed into Sims 4 coffers means more money...hopefully for development of a proper Sims 5.
    HOPEFULLY...
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm not sure that we need more stuff packs at least. 17 stuff packs now, good lord.
    logion wrote: »
    I'm not sure that we need more stuff packs at least. 17 stuff packs now, good lord.

If you haven't had meaningful gameplay by that many packs... Let's face it...
    71431528.jpg

GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Serious_sims_gamer43Serious_sims_gamer43 Posts: 523 Member
    I don't think we need sims 5 yet. There IS some important updates that need to be done. We need bunk beds!
  • iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    The game has definitely overstayed it’s welcome and it’s horribly broken. Not looking forward to another installment if this current one isn’t up to par. Who knows how the next game will be treated.
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    me before moving on to the sims5 even do i am ready to the sims5 will need more info on the sims5
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    iamoz96 wrote: »
    The game has definitely overstayed it’s welcome and it’s horribly broken. Not looking forward to another installment if this current one isn’t up to par. Who knows how the next game will be treated.

Here's how it will be:

You get the environment for $50.00 If you want houses frames, that's another $10.00 DLC, If you want walls that's another $10.00... if you want floors... $10.00 and so on and so on. :rolleyes:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    edited July 2020
    iamoz96 wrote: »

Here's how it will be:

You get the environment for $50.00 If you want houses frames, that's another $10.00 DLC, If you want walls that's another $10.00... if you want floors... $10.00 and so on and so on. :rolleyes:

Oh god that’s a nightmare... forget it all if it’s ever anything like that. Which it most likely will. Oh and you right about not having any meaningful gameplay after so many packs.
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    Ravenna wrote: »
    We just need a fixed and expanded Sims 4. Because Sims 4 looks great! And most modern hardware can run it. We don't need another half-decade of a thousand dollars of spending on packs, we need Sims 4 to have story progression, deeper emotions and more quality of life updates to the basegame. We don't need Sims 5, because it's been 20 years and it's time to stop abandoning games with perfectly good content and replacing it with a shell that has just houses and families, and nothing else.

And most of all, we don't need Sims 5, because if it sells poorly, Maxis will be gone, just like BioWare might also be gone in the next couple of years.

I absolutely 100% agree! I have loved Sims 4 from the very beginning and am not too thrilled about the packs just ceasing in creation. I don't want a Sims 5 because I love 4 so much, I can't see myself enjoying something any more than I enjoy 5. I can't think of a single thing they would put in 5 and I'd love automatically.
    1500x500.jpg
  • GardeningSimmerGardeningSimmer Posts: 41 Member
    edited August 2020
    One day The Sims 5 will be necessary or the franchise will die. There will be a moment that this game will be too old for people to get into, it happens with everything. Standards will be different, technology too.. I don’t want The Sims to end here!
    There will also be a point there will be too many packs. It will become overwhelming, too expensive and maybe potentially too much for the game. The game won’t be able to handle the packs forever! I mean imagine The Sims 4 with 200 packs..

There will be so many bugs and glitches we will never come out of it lool and imagine how much space you’ll need on your hard drive!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2020
    Ravenna wrote: »
    We just need a fixed and expanded Sims 4. Because Sims 4 looks great! And most modern hardware can run it. We don't need another half-decade of a thousand dollars of spending on packs, we need Sims 4 to have story progression, deeper emotions and more quality of life updates to the basegame. We don't need Sims 5, because it's been 20 years and it's time to stop abandoning games with perfectly good content and replacing it with a shell that has just houses and families, and nothing else.

And most of all, we don't need Sims 5, because if it sells poorly, Maxis will be gone, just like BioWare might also be gone in the next couple of years.

I absolutely 100% agree! I have loved Sims 4 from the very beginning and am not too thrilled about the packs just ceasing in creation. I don't want a Sims 5 because I love 4 so much, I can't see myself enjoying something any more than I enjoy 5. I can't think of a single thing they would put in 5 and I'd love automatically.

Babies that aren't tied to a crib? Attractions system missing from TS4? Cars missing from TS4? Smarter Sims where the trait matters more than the emotion. I mean how can you have an emotion about something if you don't have a trait that would cause it? Not even if a good Sim in TS5 doesn't do mean interactions? but leaves that up to an evil Sim with an evil trait? If a Sim is a calm Sim how can they become tense over nothing? TS4 has a lot to fix before it lives up to it's legacy of The Sims. Not even height sliders? Or extended family connections in CAS (such as boyfriend etc.) or a proper family tree. Nor a world builder where you build your own themes and worlds? TS4 can't be that good that anyone would just not buy the things I just mentioned.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2020
    I disagree that the series doesn't need a new installment. A new installment is an opportunity for the devs to get it right for as many people as possible because the technology is here.

Heck, the technology to provide options so that players could customize their games to suit themselves has existed since TS3. The More Awesome Than You mod had huge levels of customization. NRaas went even further and provided almost developer-level customization for the player. For example, one of my TS3 saves has rotational play. The devs said that it wasn't possible in TS3, but mods made it happen.

I don't expect EA/Maxis to go as far as those mods did. However, I do expect them to go further than they have ever gone before. If you don't want story progression, hit a toggle, and it works. Not interested in a color wheel? Hit a toggle and you'd never have to see it. If you like the CAS and build options for a pack but you're not interested in the occult elements, hit a toggle and no worries.

At this point, that is what I expect to see from a new Sims game. The developers say that it's not possible for TS4? Fine. However, by now, they should know what this diverse community requires -- it requires flexibility. As a result, the devs should be making plans to create a new game that can provide options from the ground up. No excuses.

I also expect a new game to return the customization of the world. TS4 has done a terrible job where that is concerned. We've all been using the same finite set of worlds for the last six years and it's dead boring.

I expect the next installment to provide a variety of worlds and to allow the players to link them together as we see fit. Players should also have some means to customize each world. Both of those mechanics were available as far back as TS2. Do you a waterfall as the background for your town? Build one with the tools that are provided. Again, that was a mechanic that was available since TS2.

Finally, I expect a new installment to release an accompanying world creation tool within a reasonable time of launch. The current policy of locking new worlds behind an exclusive EA/Maxis paywall needs to stop.
    Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited August 2020
    No excuses.
    @Cynna, That's the rub, eh? Let's see if they will listen.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I'm ok with Sims 4 for the foreseeable future and if the Sims get too real in a new Sims 5 that's me out.

If we do have more realistic Sims in any new iteration it would have to be uprated to an over 18 category otherwise a lot of the stuff we get now will look like 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and be reckoned too adult for teens.
  • peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    If the new pack is actually Star Wars, I change my mind, bring on Sims 5. I don’t know that I’m ready to reinvest all that time for the 5th time around so I’ll hang with what packs I have until there’s a clear benefit to swap over.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    No excuses.
    @Cynna, That's the rub, eh? Let's see if they will listen.

Indeed.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    It took me years to get used to the idea of Sims 4, tbh. I wasn't thrilled about The Sims 3, either, when it came out. I'd already invested so much time in The Sims 2, and I didn't want to start all over. The Sims 3 came out when I was just going off to college, so I didn't spend nearly as much time with it as The Sims 3. I didn't buy TS4 until after many upgrades came out. Unless The Sims 5 comes out and is super amazing, I'd probably just keep playing TS4 like how many are still playing TS3. I still play Sims 3 occasionally. I'm afraid in order to make The Sims 5 as amazing as everyone wants it, it'd have to be a graphic-heavy game, and I'm not thrilled at the idea of buying a new PC to play the game. I can also see it being a console-only game (I've heard talk of it coming out after PS5 is released). I started playing Sims on console, but I haven't been interested in playing it on console since I got the PC version in Dec. 2006.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I'm ok with Sims 4 for the foreseeable future and if the Sims get too real in a new Sims 5 that's me out.

If we do have more realistic Sims in any new iteration it would have to be uprated to an over 18 category otherwise a lot of the stuff we get now will look like 🌺🌺🌺🌺 and be reckoned too adult for teens.

Sorry, but we already have more realistic sims in TS2 & TS3. Realism where it actually matters, in depth of character and behaviour.
  • LootLoot Posts: 63 Member
    @Serious_sims_gamer43 Love the bunk beds idea!!
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    I would love to see a Sims 5. I think the GTA (Gran Theft Auto) series is a good template to follow--they have continually improved graphics and gameplay as the series evolves.

Yes, that would probably require that I invest in a gaming computer, but I'm ok with that, as that would open up a whole new world of other games I could play as well
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2020
    If people love the cartoony style of Sims then they should absolutlely love the Parafolkes. They are very cartoony looking. I do prefer a little bit more custom content to get rid of some of that in TS2. I didn't need cc (except some hair) for TS3. I like natural looking eyebrows, and not the thick blots in some of TS2 or even TS4. Modders did it better. I still can't get past TS4's hair clops. Like silly puddy on their heads for some styles. Liked some of the styles but extracted them put them in TS2, then retextured and they are fifty times better. lol

I've decided I don't need TS5 after all. It doesn't look like Maxis understands some of us anymore so, I'm out. Don't even want it anymore if TS4 is any precursor to what it will be. I don't need mindless Sims who can't even remember they had a mom or dad or who died and or if teens don't know they are teens and not adults and or little kids who would rather sit around and talk to adults than go outside and do something with their peers. I don't want another game that is all about the 'story' of pose a Sim, click a picture and tell a story and then say oh, look, what happened in my game, when we know it didn't. I want a game that is deep and wide and I don't think Maxis understands that anymore.

I recently thought about what Rod Humble said when he took over The Sims. He said he went to Will Wright and asked him, what one thing would he have removed from the game? And Mr. Wright looked at him with pity, and told him he would add more, maybe because he knew Mr. Humble didn't understand someone like me, either.....I don't think TS4 remembered that nor do I think TS5 will, either.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    If people love the cartoony style of Sims then they should absolutlely love the Parafolkes. They are very cartoony looking. I do prefer a little bit more custom content to get rid of some of that in TS2. I didn't need cc (except some hair) for TS3. I like natural looking eyebrows, and not the thick blots in some of TS2 or even TS4. Modders did it better. I still can't get past TS4's hair clops. Like silly puddy on their heads for some styles. Liked some of the styles but extracted them put them in TS2, then retextured and they are fifty times better. lol

I've decided I don't need TS5 after all. It doesn't look like Maxis understands some of us anymore so, I'm out. Don't even want it anymore if TS4 is any precursor to what it will be. I don't need mindless Sims who can't even remember they had a mom or dad or who died and or if teens don't know they are teens and not adults and or little kids who would rather sit around and talk to adults than go outside and do something with their peers. I don't want another game that is all about the 'story' of pose a Sim, click a picture and tell a story and then say oh, look, what happened in my game, when we know it didn't. I want a game that is deep and wide and I don't think Maxis understands that anymore.

I recently thought about what Rod Humble said when he took over The Sims. He said he went to Will Wright and asked him, what one thing would he have removed from the game? And Mr. Wright looked at him with pity, and told him he would add more, maybe because he knew Mr. Humble didn't understand someone like me, either.....I don't think TS4 remembered that nor do I think TS5 will, either.

I'm going to give TS5 a chance. What makes a good life sim game is the game engine it runs on. If TS5 is built on the Unreal Engine 4, then there's a chance that it will be much better than TS4 in lots of ways.