Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Decades Challenge - Updated for Snowy Escape

nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
Disclaimers: This challenge is based on the history of the United States of America. Most of these rules were written by the writers below, but I have added and removed a few. I also made it slightly more clear and did my best to include all the packs.

I'm sure many of you (if not all) have heard of the Decades Challenge before. I have decided to rewrite it for today! The most recent update to the challenge I could find was by kakeru_naruse on Mod The Sims, found here. That was based on the original challenge for The Sims 4, buy @ZombieCleo found here on the forums. I will be going off both of those for this, but making it more historically accurate and taking all packs into account.

Updates
  • Jan 6th, 2020 ~ Added updates for Eco Lifestyle, Nifty Knitting, Journey to Batuu, and Snowy Escape.

Starting Out
  • You can make up to two sims- but if you do make two, they have to be married.
  • The Sims can wear whatever they want, but it's recommended that you download some historical CC to get the feel of each decade.
  • Vampires, Spellcasters, Mermaids, and Aliens are not allowed.
  • Using the CAS Stories option is not allowed.
  • If you own Seasons, you must start in Spring.
  • After leaving CAS, you are allowed to live in all the worlds except San Myshuno. However, it is recommended that you live in Newcrest and build a house to your liking or get a house off the gallery.
  • When buying a lot, you can only use one that you can purchase using the starter funds.
  • Tiny Homes are allowed if you own the Tiny Living Stuff Pack.
  • After you're allowed to take vacations they must be no longer than two days.

The 1890s ~ Turn of the 19th Century
  • No female heirs are allowed. If there are no male children, then a female's husband may inherit.
  • Sims may only have a romantic relationship with sims of the opposite gender.
  • Sims cannot have a romantic or friendly relationship with sims of the opposite skin tone.
  • Sims cannot "WooHoo." They can only "Try for a Baby."
  • Sims cannot "Try for a Baby" anywhere but their bed.
  • Teenage sims cannot "Mess Around."
  • No electricity can be used.
  • Women take care of the children, tend the garden, clean the house, and cook the food. They are allowed to go jogging.
  • Men can only have the Entertainer, Criminal, Military (Strangerville required), Docter (Get To Work required), Teacher (Discover University required), Lawyer (Discover University required) and Engineer (Discover University required) careers. If a sim does not wish to work in one of these three careers, they can stay home and make money through painting, woodworking, and gardening.
  • Women are allowed to have the teacher career if you own Discover University.
  • You are allowed to own a retail store and a restaurant, but only if you can afford it.
  • Sims cannot get a divorce unless one sim is caught cheating on the other.
  • If a woman is widowed, she can earn money through painting, gardening, or woodworking.
  • If a woman is divorced, she can earn money through the Entertainer career.
  • Elementary is mandatory, but high school is optional.
  • Deduct 1000 simoleans for every teenage sim who chooses to go to highschool.
  • Female children cannot move out until they are married.
  • If you own City Living, your sims cannot attend festivals.
  • Cell Phones can only be used to invite over sims and to travel.
  • Sims are only allowed to use bathtubs. Bathtub-shower combos are allowed, but sims are not allowed to use the shower option.
  • All plumbing must be in an "outhouse."
  • Only "wooden" furniture is allowed.
  • Only "wooden" flooring and wallpaper is allowed.
  • The only kitchen appliances allowed are the stove and fridge. Buy the vintage version of both. Any counters are allowed.
  • Only impressionist and classic paintings can be displayed on the walls or made. Children can make drawings, but they can only be hung in the children's bedroom.
  • If you own Get to Work and your sim gets sick, you are not allowed to give them medicine.
  • The only event your sim can throw is a wedding.
  • Children born cannot be born at the hospital.
  • Mother sims can only feed a baby using the breastfeeding option.
  • If you can afford it, you are allowed to hire a butler or a maid. No gardeners, pizza delivery, or nannies.
  • If you own Cats and Dogs, your sim can have either. But they must be a stray before being adopted.
  • If you own Laundry Day Stuff, your sim is allowed to own a washtub and a clothesline.
  • If you own Seasons, your sim is allowed to own a bee box.
  • Only male sims are allowed to attend University, and they may only select the following degrees: Villainy, Psychology, Language and Literature, History, Fine Arts, Economics, Drama, Physics, and Biology. Your sim MUST go to University from home and if they have to do a term paper, too bad, so sad, can't be done until Computers are invented.
  • Murphy Beds are not allowed.
  • Vacations are only allowed to either relatives or in your home neighborhood.
  • If you own Snowy Escape, skiing and snowboarding are not allowed (yes, I know they were invented long before the 1890s, but not recreationally)
  • Your sims are now allowed to leave the home lot for anything but work.
  • Sims are allowed to knit.
  • All forms of power, such as solar panels, dew collectors, etc, from Eco Lifestyle are NOT allowed.
  • I recommend turning Eco Footprint off for this challenge. If you choose not to, set this one via cheats to Industrial.
  • Sims are not allowed to climb Mt. Komorebi

The 1900s ~ The "Greatest" Generation
  • Men may now have the Business (Management branch only), and Culinary (Chef branch only) careers, as well as those listed above.
  • Women who are widowed or divorced cannot work in the Business or Culinary careers- only careers allowed for men in the previous decade.
  • Electricity in the form of lamps is allowed.
  • Indoor plumbing is now allowed.
  • The cheapest computer can now be bought, but it can only be used for writing. Everything else is NOT allowed.
  • Your house can now have wallpaper.
  • The phonograph is now available for music.
  • Your sims can now go on vacation.
  • By the end of this decade, your cowplant should be fully grown.
  • Murphy Beds are now allowed.
  • Men may now have all University degrees listed above, as well as Communications and Culinary Arts.
  • Optional Eco Footprint is set to Industrial

The 1910s ~ World War I
  • All males who are aged teenagers through adult, or who become teenagers during this decade, must "leave for war."
  • To "stimulate" this wartime, roll a dice one time for each family member after feeding them to the cowplant 1 time. If a sim gets an odd number, feed them to the cowplant again. If a sim gets and even number, they are safe.
  • If a sim has experienced wartime, use cheats to give the sim one of the following traits: Gloomy, Hot-Headed, Clumsy, Insane, Mean, Noncommital.
  • Men cannot work in their young adult stage and must wait until full adulthood to work.
  • Men who are about to go to war have a chance to have a child before leaving.
  • Children must go to school. If you choose to send a teenager to school, they must have a C grade or higher.
  • Teenagers who get a D or F in school must be sent to another household.
  • Men can now work as painters.
  • Drywall is allowed.
  • Keep the cowplant alive, you'll need it again before long.
  • You are now allowed to leave the home lot for recreational activities.
  • Industrial Eco Footprint

The 1920s ~ Women's Rights and Prohibition Era
  • Women are now allowed to be heirs, meaning women can now take over as head of household.
  • Women can now work in the Entertainer, Culinary (Chef branch only), or the Painter career at any time.
  • Women can now attend University (same degrees as the men).
  • Your sims are not allowed to order any drinks from a bar.
  • Both children and teenagers who go to school must get a C or higher.
  • Students who did not get a C or higher must be sent away to another household.
  • Young Adults are encouraged to work in the Criminal Career.
  • If you own the Movie Hangout Stuff pack, your sims are now allowed to watch movies.
  • The radio is allowed.
  • The worst quality TV (after the Penguin TV) is now allowed.

The 1930s ~ The Great Depression
  • Everybody in a career loses their job.
  • Reduce household funds by 40%, because of the Stock Market crashing and all that.
  • To make money, teenagers who do not go to school, young adults, and adult sims must scavenge around the world from 1 day (in-game time).
  • Sims can only eat hot-cooked meals once per day. If they get hungry, they must eat food found from fishing, scavenging, or gardening.
  • Sims may not join the business career anymore.
  • Bills can only be paid after the water has been shut off.
  • After one day, your sims may have jobs again.
  • Elementary is mandatory, but high school is still optional, though highly encouraged. There is no longer a fee to go to high school.
  • All sims who reach Young Adulthood during this decade must have one of the following traits: Gloomy, Mean, Noncommital.
  • Your sims are allowed to order drinks from bars again.
  • Every sim that "served" in World War I and survived receives a pension of 100 simoleans. Use the money cheat to add 100 for every war survivor.
  • Gardening for money is encouraged.
  • Sims cannot create medium or large-sized paintings.
  • Make sure that cowplant is still in good shape!

The 1940s ~ World War II
  • Men who are already in the Young Adult or Adult stage when this decade starts must "leave for war."
  • To "stimulate" wartime, do what was done in the 1910s. Feed each sim to the cowplant 1 time. Roll a die once for each sim. If a sim gets an odd number, feed them to the cowplant again. If a sim gets an even number, they are free to go.
  • Men who become young adults during this decade do not have to leave for war but must get a career.
  • If a man survives fighting in the war, you must cheat on one of the following traits: Gloomy, Hot-Headed, Clumsy, Insane, Lazy, Mean, Noncommittal.
  • Romantic relationships between sims of opposite skin tones are now allowed.
  • Your sims can now have all of the following careers: Athlete (Bodybuilder branch only), Painter, Culinary (Mixologist branch only), Secret Agent (Diamond branch only), and Detective (Get To Work required).
  • Sims can still only eat one hot meal per day. All other hunger must be satisfied by scavenging, fishing, or gardening.
  • Single women or teenage girls must get a career. If a woman gets married, they have the option of quitting and becoming a housewife.
  • Elementary is mandatory, highschool is highly encouraged though still optional.
  • Sims can now take medicine when they become sick.
  • Every house must have a radio and someone must listen to it for at least 1 hour every day.
  • Every house must now have a garden with at least four plants.
  • Teenage jobs are encouraged.
  • Sims may now get an Art History degree at University.

The 1950s ~ The Time When Way Too Much Happened
  • The following careers have been unlocked: Athlete, Writer, and Business.
  • Since the Korean War happened during this time, eldest male and eldest female under the age of elder must "leave for war."
  • Both children get fed to the cowplant. Roll a die one time for each sim. If a sim gets an odd number, feed them to the cowplant again. If a sim gets an even number, they're safe.
  • If a sim has experienced wartime, use cheats to equip one of the following traits: Gloomy, Hot-Headed, Clumsy, Insane, Lazy, Mean, Noncommital
  • Since the "Baby Boomer" era was during this time, every sim must have at least two children during the Young Adult life stage.
  • If you own City Living, your sims can now live in apartments.
  • Sims can now eat unlimited hot meals.
  • Elementary and high schools are now both mandatory.
  • Your sims can now have the three cheapest TVs.
  • There are television restriction times: Your sims can only watch TV from 6 am to 9 pm.
  • Showers are now available.
  • Adoption is now available (Cats, Dogs, and Children)
  • Every sim that "served" in World War II and survived gets a 250 simolean pension.
  • You can now hire nannies.
  • Having many children and large families is encouraged.
  • Houses can now have carpet and brick flooring.
  • Houses can now be decorated with any kind of painting.
  • Patterned flooring is now available.
  • Private pools are now available.
  • Recreational Skiing and Snowboarding is now allowed.
  • Sims may now climb Mt. Komorebi

The 1960s ~ Civil Rights Movement and Sexual Revelation
  • Marriage between sims of opposite skin tones is now allowed.
  • The following careers have been unlocked: Secret Agent, Astronaut (Space Ranger branch only), and Scientist (Get to Work required).
  • Mothers with careers may take maternal leave during third trimester or after the baby is born.
  • Your sims can now "WooHoo." They no longer have to "Try for a Baby."
  • Teenagers may now "Mess Around."
  • Every sim who "fought" in the Korean War and lived will receive a pension of 250 simoleans.
  • Better radios are now available.
  • You can now have fancier sofas, beds, tables, chairs, and stairs.
  • Tea Brewers are now available.
  • You may now go on vacations everywhere except Batuu.

The 1970s ~ End of Vietnam War and Environmentalist Movement
  • The first two children to reach Young Adulthood during this decade, regardless of gender, must be sent off to war.
  • You know the drill by now, feed them to the cowplant and roll a die, blah blah blah.
  • Assuming these sims have been to "war," give them one of the traits from the list you probably have memorized by now.
  • Environmentalist Movement ~ Anybody born during this decade must have one of the following traits: Active, Self-Assured, Loves Outdoors, Outgoing.
  • Sims are now allowed to have romantic relationships with sims of the same gender.
  • Microwaves are now allowed.
  • Coffee machines are now allowed.
  • Plastic furniture is now allowed.
  • You can now have better stoves, fridges, sinks, and showers.
  • Dishwashers are now available.

The 1980s ~ The Yuppie Decade
  • The following jobs have been unlocked: Tech Guru (Start-Up Enteurpreteur branch only).
  • At least one sim per household must be in the Business career.
  • Anybody born during this decade must have one of the following traits: Ambitious, Self-Assured, Materialistic, Snob, Perfectionist.
  • Every sim who fought and survived the Vietnam War will receive a 250 simolean pension.
  • Cell phones are now allowed with 0 restrictions.
  • Computers may now be used for playing games.
  • All TVs with NO FLAT SCREENS are now allowed.
  • Television has a time restriction still. Your sims can only watch TV between 6 am and 2 am each day.
  • Your house can now have marble flooring.
  • Sims may now get a Computer Science degree.

The 1990s ~ Globilization
  • All careers that weren't' before have been unlocked.
  • Two days before the end of the decade, the family must prepare for the Y2k disaster.
  • You must build a temporary safe house/shelter using only the cheapest furniture.
  • The entire family will live in this shelter until the next decade begins, starting on Thursday.
  • Children are not allowed to go to school during the Y2k time.
  • There can not be a computer in the Y2k house.
  • Men can now take Paternity leave after their child is born.
  • There are no restrictions on how fancy your sinks, showers, fridges, or stoves can be.
  • Your sims can now use a computer for socializing.
  • Treadmills are now available.

The 2000s ~ The Starting Point and 9/11
  • Computers can now be used for anything.
  • Flatscreen TVs are now available.
  • There are no longer any restrictions on the electronics you can own.
  • All fitness machines are available.
  • There are no restrictions on fancy furniture.
  • No restrictions of flooring type.
  • No restrictions on the wall type.
  • Since the 9/11 terrorist attack happened during this decade, roll a die once for every sim. If the die lands on a 6 for the sim, feed them to the cowplant and kill them.
  • If a sim in the household dies during the attack, all other sims that are currently in the household must have the gloomy trait.

The 2010s ~ We're Here
  • Sims can now marry sims of the same gender.
  • No restrictions on anything. You're even allowed to go to Batuu, you won, do whatever you want.

To win, you must get one family through all... um... through all the different decades.
funny-gifs20.gif

Post edited by nerdfashion on

Comments

• KabunaSimmerKabunaSimmer Posts: 5 New Member
    Bookmarking this!
  • muosda1muosda1 Posts: 2 New Member
    I can't use any bathub with the "off the grid" trait. Also, how do i give bath to babies if they can only bath in bathubs?
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    muosda1 wrote: »
    I can't use any bathub with the "off the grid" trait. Also, how do i give bath to babies if they can only bath in bathubs?

Hmm... that's strange. I was sure there.was at least one bathtub that was Off-The-Grid. I'll remove that rule. thanks for letting me know!

@muosda1
    funny-gifs20.gif

• melissalungumelissalungu Posts: 655 Member
    following this!
    If you have spare points as you own the store, why not spend them on me? Haha!!! My wishlist

My thank you thread

My profile

My Top 5 store items :smile:
  • Sims4SarahSims4Sarah Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2020
    The shower/tub combo from Strangerville is both wooden and works off-grid but you have to use it for a cold shower. Nothing else.
    Post edited by Sims4Sarah on
  • eesheesh Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2020
    Going to be starting this challenge now, thanks for updating it! For those who don't want to use the cowplant for the wars, there is a mod by Kuttoe that will do this for you. The last update was 1/24/2020 for the Tiny Living stuff pack so it should be working. What's great about this is that it will also give them a new 'Veteran' trait if they go to war and survive when they come back. There is a 50/50 chance that your sim will die in the war with this mod. It was created for this type of challenge in mind.

https://kuttoe.itch.io/enlist-in-war-mod

Also, if you're not against using the debug mode (at least in this instance to make it more accurate), you can find the wooden bathtub that can be made with the woodworking table as well as the wooden toilet. Both should work off the grid.
  • Sims4SarahSims4Sarah Posts: 133 Member
    I’ve also found that when you are off the grid, if you have a tub you can click on a toddler and get the option to bathe them and it works. Even when you can’t get anybody else to use it.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    How long does each decade last?
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    How long does each decade last?

As long as you like! I prefer one week, but it's up to you.
    @Simtown15
    funny-gifs20.gif

• NeverEndingFanficsNeverEndingFanfics Posts: 1 New Member
    I love hard challenges and I think I will do it, but as an extra thing to myself, I think I’ll add/fix sims every generation (I am changing years after a generation) Wish me luck! XD
  • HtebazileyeHtebazileye Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! Since it is May 2020, I have something to add:
    -----------------------------------------
    2020s: A Global Pandemic
    - Due to a large spread of the Llama Flu, a global lockdown has been imposed!
    - Only essential careers such as Doctor, Scientist, Detective, Engineer, Law, Military are allowed. Any other jobs that require Sims to leave their homes are prohibited.
    - Sims may not gather in public places beyond 10 Sims, including the host. Outings must be for essential reasons (i.e.: shopping for food, toiletries, other necessities).
    - Any events at the Sim's home may not exceed 10 Sims. Per every 1 extra Sim in attendance, a fine of 1,000 Simoleons must be paid.
    - A curfew of 8PM is in effect and any Sims (excluding essential workers) that break this mandatory curfew are subject to a fine of 5,000 Simoleons (per each Sim that has broken curfew).
    - If your seasons are set to 7 Days, the lockdown must last through all 4 seasons. If your seasons are set to 14 Days, the lockdown must last through two seasons. If your seasons are set to 28 Days, the lockdown must last for one entire season.
    Hi! Since it is May 2020, I have something to add:
    2020s: A Global Pandemic
    - Due to a large spread of the Llama Flu, a global lockdown has been imposed!
    - Only essential careers such as Doctor, Scientist, Detective, Engineer, Law, Military are allowed. Any other jobs that require Sims to leave their homes are prohibited.
    - Sims may not gather in public places beyond 10 Sims, including the host. Outings must be for essential reasons (i.e.: shopping for food, toiletries, other necessities).
    - Any events at the Sim's home may not exceed 10 Sims. Per every 1 extra Sim in attendance, a fine of 1,000 Simoleons must be paid.
    - A curfew of 8PM is in effect and any Sims (excluding essential workers) that break this mandatory curfew are subject to a fine of 5,000 Simoleons (per each Sim that has broken curfew).
    - If your seasons are set to 7 Days, the lockdown must last through all 4 seasons. If your seasons are set to 14 Days, the lockdown must last through two seasons. If your seasons are set to 28 Days, the lockdown must last for one entire season.

Thank you for the suggestions! I probably won't do the curfew, because this is based on U.S. History and we don't have one, but I'll probably add this when I update the challenge for Eco Lifestyle.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• houseofpilots614houseofpilots614 Posts: 1 New Member
    I love this challenge! Silly question but how long should a decade last? ie. When should I move on to the next decade?
    I love this challenge! Silly question but how long should a decade last? ie. When should I move on to the next decade?

It's up to you, but I prefer for on decade to last one in-game week.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• BabbyPigBabbyPig Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! Just wondering whether I could female sims into the acting career during the 1960s. I'm a British player doing this challenge so I'm not really sure what to do cause this is based off of US history lol. Thanks anyway :) x
    BabbyPig wrote: »
    Hi! Just wondering whether I could female sims into the acting career during the 1960s. I'm a British player doing this challenge so I'm not really sure what to do cause this is based off of US history lol. Thanks anyway :) x

Sure, go ahead! There were actresses here in the States from the 1930s on (the only thing I can remember is the release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves in 1939)! I did forget to add that in, didn't I? When I have more time, I'll update the thread.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    I have checked the history of the films a little bit. In the usa the filmproduction began in the 1910s. Before sound films were produced it was the era of silent film. Actresses already existed from the beginning, like Lillian Diana Gish who was later called the first lady of american cinema according to wikipedia.
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Daravi wrote: »
    I have checked the history of the films a little bit. In the usa the filmproduction began in the 1910s. Before sound films were produced it was the era of silent film. Actresses already existed from the beginning, like Lillian Diana Gish who was later called the first lady of american cinema according to wikipedia.

And before that, there were actresses in plays.
  • omarshall99omarshall99 Posts: 2 New Member
    Any updates for Eco Living or Nifty Knitting?
    Any updates for Eco Living or Nifty Knitting?

I just haven't had time to add them, but yes.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• omarshall99omarshall99 Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="nerdfashion;c-17591382"]
    I just haven't had time to add them, but yes.[/quote]

Yay! Very excited to see what’s new :)
  • MionaxMionax Posts: 287 Member
    Hi! o/
    My beginning of this challenge looks like this...

Elisha and Marybeth Riverson
    riverson.png

Elisha entered the education career.
    Elishacareer.png

First promotion cometh to those that work very hard.
    1.png

As Marybeth practices her cooking skills, Elisha relaxes at his easel for the evening.
    07-28-20_5-04-50_PM.png

Marybeth is pregnant and is having morning sickness. That is why the toilet is green. Here is their bare bones cabin. They live in the 50x40 lot in Newcrest.
    07-28-20_5-43-35_PM.png
    Origin ID:Mionax
    Origin #: madebymionax
  • thugpuppy2thugpuppy2 Posts: 1 New Member
    How do I age sims up if I can't bake a cake since I'm off the grid
    thugpuppy2 wrote: »
    How do I age sims up if I can't bake a cake since I'm off the grid

They'll age up naturally if you have aging on.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• maddytherockmaddytherock Posts: 2 New Member
    :'( how do we keep the house warm during winter in 1890s? My toddlers are all crying and it hurts my brain