Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are they freeing the babies?

2...Next

Comments

• SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    I hope that they are, but I doubt it.

I really hope they do.
    banner.png
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited July 2020
    @Toz91 wrote: »
    I've never actually cared for baby gameplay. I like toddlers and find them quite charming, but I've no need for playable babies. I'm not much one for the life simulation as I am for the storytelling elements. And with different occults having different babies needed, I just don't see them doing it. That's what I don't get: preteens and now babies. You got toddlers which is well needed, but preteens are basically just existing child sims. You get toddlers, and now you want babies! These are NOT lifestates people. They can't just be implemented into the game without affecting everyone else. Life states only affect the packs they are introduced for. Maybe they could make a pack just for babies, but I don't know how it would intergrate with occult players.

Outside of appearance, a modification of the baby by liberating it from the bassinet and giving it a playable life stage won’t necessarily affect the occult life states.
    The behavior of Occult Babies, toddlers and children are pretty much identical to general sim behavior. Occults do not get their powers until they’re teens.

Personally I click the ‘age up’ option within hours of the baby’s birth (Toddlers, although well executed in this iteration, do not last long either, sorry little ones) but I do get it.
    I appreciate the demand for a full baby life stage. Such a transition requires a significant overhaul of mechanics that are already in place.
    Sims 2 and 3 had babies separated from their cribs, but occasionally babies could be found abandoned in the strangest places. In that case I understand why Sims 4 developers choose the safe way by locking it back to the crib like in the original sims game and focused on adding interesting toddlers at a later stage in development.

I also get the request for Pre-teens, however, they are not a very defined life stage as they are not really child or teen. Furthermore, they will need to be of a different height to ensure they’re not confused with a child or teen. Fundamentally this has already posed a problem between Teens and Young Adults. Working with different heights requires unnecessary resources in order to make the animation compatible with the existing interactions. The devs didn’t go there with teens -unfortunately- and I can’t see them go there with pre-teens. But hey, who knows?

I can see the baby life stage being implemented as a free update in the future due to the growing interest. The life stage itself won’t be introduced in a pack, although a stuff pack related to babies will most likely be available after the patch.

Whether babies are to be ‘freed’ from their bassinets or not, I certainly believe they will get additional gameplay in the future.
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    edited July 2020
    In one of the last community survey there was an option to vote for a lifestafe to be improved.

I started a thread on the forum asking who voted for which lifestage to improve as first.
    Most of the simmers voted babies.

Ofcourse, this doesn't mean the babies won, because not every simmer who voted also reacted on my thread.
    But I think a lot of people voted for babies, so it would be really weird if after that they will never improve their gameplay.
    👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    If they only make one lifestate better then I want teens and I think I even chose them in the survey 'cause the 3 day baby thing is just not worth it for me if they are just going to improve one lifestate. I'd get teens over that since they last longer and are in need of more unique gameplay.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    I honestly think they will, I've thought that since last year, they knew how much interest there was in it then. I think it's a HUGE job that could take over a year or even two, to complete, but I have a feeling it's a work in progress and one day we'll see it and they will be awesome like toddlers were. I don't think it's coming in 2020 though.

I don't know if it's that huge of a job. I mean they develop whole sims games in 2-3 years. As if it takes them 2 years only for babies.

In some ways, developing a new base can be easier than modifying the existing one, depending on the context.

With unlocking babies, not only is it developing an entirely new age group, there's the great big problem of how to handle saves where babies are already there.

When it came to adding toddlers, the game didn't have to deal with existing toddlers. Existing children would stay children. Existing babies would age into toddlers. Done and dusted.

But with babies, this isn't adding a new lifestage, it's modifying an existing one. I can see trying to implement that in base game in a way that doesn't break existing saves actually being a really tricky problem. I think there's a decent chance they will, since I think there's massive interest. I just don't think it'll be easy.

Honestly, that's why I think they will never "fix" teenagers by giving them a new shorter/younger appearing model. How would that be done with the teens people are already playing? It'd be a mess. And that's a mess with less demand, as people have come to accept that quirk in a way they have not ever really accepted babies as objects.

Basically, IF they do it, it'll take time, and expect it to introduce bugs to old saves. It'd be an absolute MIRACLE if it didn't.

Well I hope the devs finally realize how important the life stages are to us and will not make the same mistakes with Sims 5
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I honestly think they will, I've thought that since last year, they knew how much interest there was in it then. I think it's a HUGE job that could take over a year or even two, to complete, but I have a feeling it's a work in progress and one day we'll see it and they will be awesome like toddlers were. I don't think it's coming in 2020 though.

I don't know if it's that huge of a job. I mean they develop whole sims games in 2-3 years. As if it takes them 2 years only for babies.

In some ways, developing a new base can be easier than modifying the existing one, depending on the context.

With unlocking babies, not only is it developing an entirely new age group, there's the great big problem of how to handle saves where babies are already there.

When it came to adding toddlers, the game didn't have to deal with existing toddlers. Existing children would stay children. Existing babies would age into toddlers. Done and dusted.

But with babies, this isn't adding a new lifestage, it's modifying an existing one. I can see trying to implement that in base game in a way that doesn't break existing saves actually being a really tricky problem. I think there's a decent chance they will, since I think there's massive interest. I just don't think it'll be easy.

Honestly, that's why I think they will never "fix" teenagers by giving them a new shorter/younger appearing model. How would that be done with the teens people are already playing? It'd be a mess. And that's a mess with less demand, as people have come to accept that quirk in a way they have not ever really accepted babies as objects.

Basically, IF they do it, it'll take time, and expect it to introduce bugs to old saves. It'd be an absolute MIRACLE if it didn't.

Well I hope the devs finally realize how important the life stages are to us and will not make the same mistakes with Sims 5

I think they do know what's important to us what they want to do and what they can do are two different things but I think they are going to improve the babies they need to be especially since the onesies are so cute they look in stark contrast to have the babies look right now it looks so out of place
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

I think they do know what's important to us what they want to do and what they can do are two different things but I think they are going to improve the babies they need to be especially since the onesies are so cute they look in stark contrast to have the babies look right now it looks so out of place

So then don’t do it at all. I mean, why would you make a game you can’t? That doesn’t make any sense.

Either make the game people want and will pay you for, or don’t do it and let somebody else try.

Thank the gods for Paralives.

—T
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Could not care less for babies, they were always a minor inconvenience to me in older games, as harsh as it sounds lol. I like them the way they currentl are with them being not so demanding, and i dont wish for making them need more attention, but i am all for freeing them even though i would pick giving kids more gameplay over babies any day.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I think all the life stages besides young adults need more content. I think babies need the most since they are still an "object", then elders because they have nothing that separates them from an adult. After that, I think kids and teens need some love. They need their own aspirations and traits like toddlers. There is so much they could do to improve all the life stages.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • KindaNoobyKindaNooby Posts: 3 New Member
    I think they won’t free the babies, because they don’t really do much... I guess they could cry and stuff but that’s all.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    KindaNooby wrote: »
    I think they won’t free the babies, because they don’t really do much... I guess they could cry and stuff but that’s all.

nah, babies can do a lot.

this video starts out with a lot that they do already in sims 4 but freeplay babies are really what i want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBJqbJpbETs
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Babies will never be disconnected from the bassinet. They should just come out and say it. It’s not like they don’t know what they will and won’t be making for this game already since they have the 3 year plan. It’s a shame really that they let people hype themselves up over content they never planned on making.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »

this video starts out with a lot that they do already in sims 4 but freeplay babies are really what i want:

I'm no family or baby player, but it's very interesting to see that some of the features in the sims mobile games are way ahead of TS4...
    Babies. Bunkbeds...
    cheescaeks wrote: »

I'm no family or baby player, but it's very interesting to see that some of the features in the sims mobile games are way ahead of TS4...
    Babies. Bunkbeds...

Fire monkey studios (who develop sims freeplay and now sims mobile) are excellent at fan service. Maxis is awful at it. They have fans literally giving them idea after idea for what they want and then they come out with eco life. Like sims mobile was around for awhile under Maxis, and it was a complete failure. They shifted dev to Australia and it’s now on track to be Sims freeplay 2.0. Sims freeplay was actually one of the better F2P games, so it’s probably a good thing they took over Sims Mobile.
  • GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    Babies will never be disconnected from the bassinet. They should just come out and say it. It’s not like they don’t know what they will and won’t be making for this game already since they have the 3 year plan. It’s a shame really that they let people hype themselves up over content they never planned on making.

I'm not sure you're right.
    They did say we would never get open world, cause we won't.
    The fact that they didn't say something about the babies means there is a chance they're thinking about it.

I also remember a tweet from Grant saying, that when he was still working on Sims 4 he didnt care for the babies. But he said, because someone else is now in charge, it is possible but does not mean it will happen.
    👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR
    Simmivie wrote: »

I'm not sure you're right.
    They did say we would never get open world, cause we won't.
    The fact that they didn't say something about the babies means there is a chance they're thinking about it.

I also remember a tweet from Grant saying, that when he was still working on Sims 4 he didnt care for the babies. But he said, because someone else is now in charge, it is possible but does not mean it will happen.

They rely so much on what’s “possible” they act like they don’t have a roadmap of development for the foreseeable future, which we already know they do. They have a poor track record with producing requested content. I’m not sure why people assume they’re currently working on all these requests, it’s super rare for anything to materialize based on requests - but they can plug all kinds of unrelated stuff into those free content addons and expect people to be grateful for it. Grant wasn’t the end all to what made the cut vs what didn’t. There’s plenty of people involved in that. Hardly fair to pin the blame on him when this entire dev team has went every direction but the one the majority of players seem to be asking.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    To7m wrote: »

So then don’t do it at all. I mean, why would you make a game you can’t? That doesn’t make any sense.

Either make the game people want and will pay you for, or don’t do it and let somebody else try.

Thank the gods for Paralives.

—T

They do have to work for a big company and the big company tells them what they're allowed to do with their budget prevalence doesn't have this problem that's what I meant it doesn't mean that the game isn't capable of doing better are that they don't want to do better it's whether they're allowed to or not since they work for a big company
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • GraniteFallsLover123GraniteFallsLover123 Posts: 26 Member
    That would be fun. Right now babies are just kind of annoying, although I like that we can dress them now.
  • Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    edited August 2020
    No one knew or thought that toddlers would be coming to the sims 4 base game either. So its no surprise some people arent believing that babies can/will be freed. There were no big hints or announcements for toddlers. We jut got them!

I believe in the Sims 4 team. And personally, i LOVE this game!
    Post edited by Sim_Architects on