Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the Supernatural series EVER be finished?

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »

I'm not sure that's true. We got those outstanding vampire and spellcaster GPs.

I think some people might not share that opinion. Especially regarding the Spellcasters which had almost no new gameplay with their spells.

My perspective on that is that people generally did like the pack, they just expected more from it. Meaning, it probably should have been an EP so it could have encompassed more creative spells and other magical features. There was a lot of anticipation and a lot of hyperfocusing on Witches after Vampires came out, so I think many of us thought the demand was high enough for an EP budget (especially since Makin' Magic had been an EP in the past) and felt a bit deflated to see it was stuffed into a GP with limitations so it couldn't live up to its full potential.

I still love the pack myself, but I think it really should have been bigger.

@LiELF In general I am not so into the whole one GP for every occult idea especially since they don't seem to flesh them out enough for the 20$ you pay for the pack. I expected more from RoM since it did cost 20$ and the only focus was the spellcasters. And making a 40$ EP for spellcasters just to flesh out the gameplay more is too much for me since a GP budget should be enough.
    Comparing it to S3 Supernatural where you paid 40$ and got like 6 not as fleshed out occults I would think that cutting the price tag in half and concentrating on only one occult would give us really really in-depth gameplay which it simply didn't.

So I wish that of that whole GP occult thing goes on that they raise the bar a little bit.

I see what your saying, but I just don't think it's bad for a game pack at all. There are four separate paths of magic styles, flexibility for playing different types of Spellcasters, curses and effects, consequences for using too much magic too quickly, potion failures and effects, two small worlds instead of one, familiars, extraordinary build/buy and cross pack gameplay with Cats and Dogs as well as many new animations, duels, and a family bloodline. For a Game Pack, I think it holds up to Vampires. It just feels limited because there's a lot more that could have been done with magic. There's a whole lot more lore and flexibility around magic, wizards, witches, voodoo, druids, sorcery, hearth magic, wicca, shamanism, etc. than there is for Vampires. And when Vampires came out, expectations were very low, so that pack pushed up the bar considerably, whereas when Realm was released, expectations were very high. But if you compare them side by side, Realm does have a lot to it. It was just a bad choice to not go bigger with it, which is what players really wanted and anticipated.

But if you just don't like it, that's fair. I know that some people didn't like it because it wasn't "Harry Potter" enough, yet others didn't like it because it was "too much Harry Potter", lol. So it leaves a lot for personal interpretation and preferences.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member

In general I am not so into the whole one GP for every occult idea especially since they don't seem to flesh them out enough for the 20$ you pay for the pack. I expected more from RoM since it did cost 20$ and the only focus was the spellcasters. And making a 40$ EP for spellcasters just to flesh out the gameplay more is too much for me since a GP budget should be enough.
    Comparing it to S3 Supernatural where you paid 40$ and got like 6 not as fleshed out occults I would think that cutting the price tag in half and concentrating on only one occult would give us really really in-depth gameplay which it simply didn't.

So I wish that of that whole GP occult thing goes on that they raise the bar a little bit.

Agree, I was expecting Vampires to be really fleshed out based on the amount of praise it gets but I was pretty disappointed when I got it because it just isnt. Maybe if you like telling stories and have a whole vampire storyline it's great? But for me I found it pretty lacking, there wasn't really much to work for or achieve and to be honest the vampire perks aren't very interesting. You can walk a bit faster and make other sims pass out. Woop de doo! Then you become a master vampire by... reading books...
    I'm also still peeved by the laziness of the world. A grand total of 3 premade sims and no community lots

I was hoping changing them from a general EP to game packs would make it more in depth, but there isn't really that much more depth. Hoping future ones will be more in depth
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I'm sorry what thing you can do with Cats and Dogs only with a mage?
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I'm sorry what thing you can do with Cats and Dogs only with a mage?

You can have your pet as a familiar. I haven’t tried it yet myself.

Personally I am currently playing my first main spellcaster and I like it a lot.

I use one mod in order to “level up” slower and one mod to make perks costlier. No fast-track for magic here and I think this will be an adventure that lasts my sim a lifetime. So much fun, have a great lot for the magical HQ from the gallery.

Wish we had more as great as vampires and ROM.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020

I see what your saying, but I just don't think it's bad for a game pack at all. There are four separate paths of magic styles, flexibility for playing different types of Spellcasters, curses and effects, consequences for using too much magic too quickly, potion failures and effects, two small worlds instead of one, familiars, extraordinary build/buy and cross pack gameplay with Cats and Dogs as well as many new animations, duels, and a family bloodline. For a Game Pack, I think it holds up to Vampires. It just feels limited because there's a lot more that could have been done with magic. There's a whole lot more lore and flexibility around magic, wizards, witches, voodoo, druids, sorcery, hearth magic, wicca, shamanism, etc. than there is for Vampires. And when Vampires came out, expectations were very low, so that pack pushed up the bar considerably, whereas when Realm was released, expectations were very high. But if you compare them side by side, Realm does have a lot to it. It was just a bad choice to not go bigger with it, which is what players really wanted and anticipated.

But if you just don't like it, that's fair. I know that some people didn't like it because it wasn't "Harry Potter" enough, yet others didn't like it because it was "too much Harry Potter", lol. So it leaves a lot for personal interpretation and preferences.

@LiELF Yeah but again it's not very much the kind of evolution you would expect from a game released 15 years after The sims 2 which had almost as many spells and 3 magic styles (good, evil, neutral) like the sims 4 and also potions. The Sims 2 also had magical familiars you would get if you had pets installed, a new big world, also good build buy. All of that and it came with the Apartments expansion pack, so it was only a small part of the expansion yet it can compare to the Sims 4. Same for the Sims 3 which also had a ton of the things you mentioned.

Also RoM, compared to Vampires which I think is better, lacked creativity. The potions and spells were nothing new, fresh or gameplay enhancing. In the Sims 3 you could turn things to gold and in The Sims 2 you could make bees chase people and even stop the freaking time which I think is awesome. The Sims 4 offered the same old, fires and freezing and moodlet changes and cloning. Been there done that 10 years ago. Then again the advertised "features" seemed like they were developed in hours, with the familiars and worlds being just decor.

If they want to continue with the whole GP thing they need to actually bring some innovation, and also quality not just quantity with alleged "features" being only cosmetic. They need to stop doing everything the previous installements had and calling it a day, don't just do the bare minimum Sims Team and I will buy every occult GP you want to release.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member

@LiELF Yeah but again it's not very much the kind of evolution you would expect from a game released 15 years after The sims 2 which had almost as many spells and 3 magic styles (good, evil, neutral) like the sims 4 and also potions. The Sims 2 also had magical familiars you would get if you had pets installed, a new big world, also good build buy. All of that and it came with the Apartments expansion pack, so it was only a small part of the expansion yet it can compare to the Sims 4. Same for the Sims 3 which also had a ton of the things you mentioned.

Also RoM, compared to Vampires which I think is better, lacked creativity. The potions and spells were nothing new, fresh or gameplay enhancing. In the Sims 3 you could turn things to gold and in The Sims 2 you could make bees chase people and even stop the freaking time which I think is awesome. The Sims 4 offered the same old, fires and freezing and moodlet changes and cloning. Been there done that 10 years ago. Then again the advertised "features" seemed like they were developed in hours, with the familiars and worlds being just decor.

If they want to continue with the whole GP thing they need to actually bring some innovation, and also quality not just quantity with alleged "features" being only cosmetic. They need to stop doing everything the previous installements had and calling it a day, don't just do the bare minimum Sims Team and I will buy every occult GP you want to release.

That's true, the spells could have been more creative. There were a lot of other effects and spells that I was hoping to see, like raising the dead and zombie minions or a lightning strike. I'm also quite disappointed that we can't directly kill another Sim with the aggressive spells.

I did play witches in Sims 2 and they were really cool, but I found trying to learn magic long and tedious. But that's probably subjective because I'm a rotational player and had other households to play. Realm of Magic suits me better in that way. I don't think I ever had a witch reach their full potential in Sims 2, lol.

But I don't remember there being much for magical furniture or clothing in Sims 2. Then again, I used a lot of CC so I probably didn't explore it much either.

I do think though, that to expect a pack now to have the same amount of content of a pack ten to fifteen years ago with the same cost is unrealistic. If the budget hasn't changed in order to keep the cost of the pack down, the funding won't go as far because costs inflate over time. But if the budget increases, the pack would have to sell for a higher price. That's just how the world of business works. I wouldn't be surprised if packs cost more when Sims 5 comes out. If they do, maybe we'll actually start seeing beefier content. I personally wouldn't mind if it meant doing justice to the game. But I'm kind of straying off topic now.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Don't forget that not everyone wants supernatural/occult content in their games. Some might be more "realism" type players, others may have religious objections (or their parents may have objections if the player is still at home). And Supernatural may have been the second worst pack of Sims3 (Showtime edges it out) because it was supernatural overload; all the occult types were watered down with the possible exception of vampires that got an upgrade over the Late Night variety. With the current trend of GPs devoted to supernaturals, it's easier for people to skip them without feeling like they're missing an entire EP, and more developer time/energy/budget can be focused on occult gameplay.

If you won't play a game because it has fantasy DLC that's not in the game unless you buy it then you seriously need to calm down. Anyone that petty to boycott a game over dlc that's 'satanic' because I can be a mage with a cuddly frog really needs to get their priorities straight anyone that intense over fiction is just...

I agree Sims 3 Supernatural stinks they should've just had Fairies and Mages in 3. Also the zombie thing was annoying...

But your argument is the whole Happy Haunts VS Arts n Crafts thing and is what irriotates me to no end about Sims Community. Packs with overt fantasy elements are 100% ignored if you are so petty to flame war and troll EA over the fact they released a set all about taming Voidcritters because Pokemon glorifies animal abuse or that vampires and mages are 'satanic' you just need to stop and let us enjoy stuff.

The Sims always had fantasy elements Makin Magic was by far the best pack of magic and sadly EA seems to have ignored us occultists because "we don't wanna offend realisim players' so when we do get packs dedicated to magic they have very little to do and then people start complaining about how magic elements offends them or "How dare they add items so pretty I hate fantasy elements but EA made such pretty BM or CAS items I gotta buy it but I hate you EA!!" Seriously. It. Is. ANNOYING. I love realism and I bought Sims and Get to Work as a bundle. I love Get to Work I love love Get Famous but people who hate occultism elements to point they'll flame people who want fantasy packs or Sims Team themselves are really petty. I don't want kids so I'm not buying any packs focused on it. I don't wanna go to school so not buying College. I think doing laundry as a stuff pack is insanity do I make threads to boycott Laundry Day? No. Do I complain over Spa Day? No no I don't do that either. Why? Because I'm not petty. People need to accept there are all kinds of players for The Sims. People who insist that dlc that adds fantasy elements 'ruin their games' cuz they don't want magic and monsters annoy me to no end. You SERIOUSLY don't need to buy every pack. If you do but you hate the content before even trying it because it's elements offend you then you are addicted to The Sims to point you'll buy every dlc and need help seriously 100% serious get help. Fantasy Elements are just as fun as real content if you don't want monsters and cursed artifacts don't buy Jungle Adventure. You don't want Vampires? Don't buy it. If you like the decorations I'm sure you could find some mods with gothic stuff. But people who hate fantasy elements and try to drive Sims Team to only cater to 'realism' need to GET OVER IT. I like fantasy you don't have to but leave me the heck alone and let me have some packs that bring occult elements and shut up already about how vampires offend you so Sims should delete the pack.

Well said!
    t0j4i8.jpg
  • Options
    I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again I’m sick and tired of those who refuse to let us fantasy players have a say in on what we’d like in our game or insulting the content we’d like to have. Nothing wrong with only wanting realism and I agree that there should be a toggle, so you can turn off occult’s completely if you don’t want them in your game or at least limit the amount. I’m a fantasy player but also enjoys realism so I prefer if occult’s are a very rare thing because it makes it feel even more fun or special to encounter them if they aren’t popping up 24/7. Vampires are literally the only good occult in TS4. Spell casters are decent but they are lacking in terms of potions and spells compared to the previous installments. I’m a huge fan of the mermaids and aliens in the previous games but in the sims 4 they are so boring and have nothing to do. And they couldn’t even update Plant Sims as actual occult’s for eco lifestyle? That is a huge missed opportunity.

But please bring on the content we have been waiting for werewolves, fairies, dragons whatever it is just deliver it.
    t0j4i8.jpg
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    most realism players weren't given much this year ether though tiny house's and eco are very small groups of
    realism players most of the wanted freed babies more for teens and npc cops

Except realism is realism and occult is occult. If we narrow everything down to specific realistic game play we may be missing the point.

Tiny Houses, Eco Lifestyle and Knitting are as realistic as Cops, Teens and Free Spirited Wobbly babies, with the two latter being base game life stages that people want to see expanded upon. These two should ultimately affect occult life states too (hairy werewolf baby?).

Folks just want to see more fleshed-out occult systems and occult game play in their game.

okay point made I guess freed babies and better teens and npc cops are things that everyone wants not
    just realism players but I still didn't see a whole lot of them asking for eco and tiny houses
    it reminds me of when sv came out and every one told us this is your occult thing this
    year I like sv but its not the same as getting an occult @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited July 2020
    most realism players weren't given much this year ether though tiny house's and eco are very small groups of

Except realism is realism and occult is occult. If we narrow everything down to specific realistic game play we may be missing the point.

Tiny Houses, Eco Lifestyle and Knitting are as realistic as Cops, Teens and Free Spirited Wobbly babies, with the two latter being base game life stages that people want to see expanded upon. These two should ultimately affect occult life states too (hairy werewolf baby?).

Folks just want to see more fleshed-out occult systems and occult game play in their game.

okay point made I guess freed babies and better teens and npc cops are things that everyone wants not
    just realism players but I still didn't see a whole lot of them asking for eco and tiny houses
    it reminds me of when sv came out and every one told us this is your occult thing this

Occult gameplay seems to be spread out quite thin. However:

Pc releases: 2019:
    • Strangerville - possessed sims: February
    • Island Living- Mermaids: June
    • Realm of Magic: Spellcasters: September

Those are 2 occults and 1 occultish gameplay in 1 year. If they were any good is subjective, but they were delivered to us.

And indeed, people did ask for tiny houses and off the grid and eco living in the community vote before laundry day came out. Laundry day was ‘supposed’ to be off the grid eco living. Most of the realism features people voted for back then have been added as free updates and to DLC’s instead.
  • Options

Occult gameplay seems to be spread out quite thin. However:

Pc releases: 2019:
    • Strangerville - possessed sims: February
    • Island Living- Mermaids: June
    • Realm of Magic: Spellcasters: September

Those are 2 occults and 1 occultish gameplay in 1 year. If they were any good is subjective, but they were delivered to us.

And indeed, people did ask for tiny houses and off the grid and eco living in the community vote before laundry day came out. Laundry day was ‘supposed’ to be off the grid eco living. Most of the realism features people voted for back then have been added as free updates and to DLC’s instead.

I'm not saying we didn't get anything occult that year I'm just saying thats what people said when sv came out
    also whether people voted for eco stuff is up for debate laundry was one of the things we might get if we voted for eco we didn't get to vote on what we got if we voted for eco so people could have voting for laundry we will never
    know @CAPTAIN_NXR7
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    also whether people voted for eco stuff is up for debate laundry was one of the things we might get if we voted for eco we didn't get to vote on what we got if we voted for eco so people could have voting for laundry we will never
    know

I do remember folks getting upset about washing machines specifically, because they didn’t represent that eco living and off the grid aspect people would have liked to see.

We’ll be seeing something occult this autumn. It’s what a lot of folks voted for and the year hasn’t finished yet.
  • Options
    know

I do remember folks getting upset about washing machines specifically, because they didn’t represent that eco living and off the grid aspect people would have liked to see.

We’ll be seeing something occult this autumn. It’s what a lot of folks voted for and the year hasn’t finished yet.

hope your right about the occult things I also remember people saying they wanted washing machines
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    know

If you don’t mind where did people vote for occult stuff? Was it that recent poll survey?
    t0j4i8.jpg
  • Options
    Potsae wrote: »
    I don't get what it means for a supernatural series to be finished. Occults don't exist, so how do you get a list of lifestates that game has to have to be finished with them? Will they be finished without, say, kikimoras?
    I feel there're enough already. Some of them involve way too little gameplay, but that is another topic.

Some people such as Wiccans exist so there’s that, even though we got a spell caster ep
    t0j4i8.jpg
  • Options
    BrynnlockBrynnlock Posts: 1 New Member
    For the four years I've had this game I've yet to be impressed with the louder side of the community and for the most part have chosen not to interact but I've watched as my favorite aspects of the game got reduced to nothing. Even mods are unable to fix the damage done to the occults in sims. Vampires have become difficult to encounter and the nocturnal activities I'd happily watch unfold as some random townie passing by turned into a vampire no longer happen. The world provided was already small and insignificant at best but when my vampires stopped acting like vampires I was really disappointed, sure most of their perks simply made them faster or less likely to die to sunrays at the cost of their humanity but at least the world appeared to have at least some occult presence but now its as if I don't even have the pack installed. I waited it out thinking maybe when they work on ROM they'll also fix up the vamps a bit or maybe add some spellcaster-ghost interactions but that was fairly limited too. At this point I'm just hoping they'll add in an update to flesh out the occults and just add a switch in the options menu like they did for weather and fame to get the normies' to back off.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @Gecko420 wrote: »
    know

If you don’t mind where did people vote for occult stuff? Was it that recent poll survey?

It was during last November's community pack vote. Nifty Knitting came first, Happy Haunts (which would feature occult gameplay ) came a close second. It was overwhelming popular and many people were disappointed that knitting won, instead of Haunts.

I personally believe the Game pack Gurus went ahead and started developing a game pack alongside Knitting. This pack could have similar features to Happy Haunts. Plus we had no occult game play this year and it would only be fair to those who enjoy playing with more fantastical themes.
    Otherwise I'm going to start an occult war. >:)
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Personally, I find it unusual that Eco-Living didn't include an upgrade for Plant-Sims.
  • Options
    Personally, I find it unusual that Eco-Living didn't include an upgrade for Plant-Sims.

I don't think there were any resources left for that. Instead we got bugs:

The innocent ones that a sim can farm and eat and the intolerable ones that infested the entire game.
  • Options

I don't think there were any resources left for that. Instead we got bugs:

The innocent ones that a sim can farm and eat and the intolerable ones that infested the entire game.

it was a super buggy pack don't forget the death by flies :)
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    No. Because they found a way to split up a expansion pack and make players buy segments of it for more money but less content. It's kinda ridiculous and doesn't make since at all, you got Vampires gp, Realm of magic, Get to work for aliens, Island living for mermaids which i do feel like could of been all in one expansion pack, I do think aliens and mermaids could fit into supernatural category. I'm Surprised theres still no fairies, but if they do bring zombies back I hope they would improve them, I didn't necessarily hate the zombies but I did think they didn't do much with them same with fairies and werewolves.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited July 2020
    peragogo wrote: »
    I’m okay with werewolves and zombies but what is the appeal of fairies? I stopped playing Sims 3 before Supernatural came out so I missed it.
    lol I was just thinking, "I'm ok with werewolves and fairies but why zombies??" I hated them tearing up my plants and things and having to lock my sims in the house on every full moon. I used to turn off the full moon, much to the dismay of my witches, werewolves and the like because I hated the zombies so much :P
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I never liked the Zombies either.
    I always changed the Lunar Moon settings to waning or waxing in Sims 3 so the Zombies wouldn't appear.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    peragogo wrote: »
    I’m okay with werewolves and zombies but what is the appeal of fairies? I stopped playing Sims 3 before Supernatural came out so I missed it.
    lol I was just thinking, "I'm ok with werewolves and fairies but why zombies??" I hated them tearing up my plants and things and having to lock my sims in the house on every full moon. I used to turn off the full moon, much to the dismay of my witches, werewolves and the like because I hated the zombies so much :P
    @SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I never liked the Zombies either.
    I always changed the Lunar Moon settings to waning or waxing in Sims 3 so the Zombies wouldn't appear.

I never touched the moon cycle toggle. I used the mailbox cheat 'supernatural population control' and disabled the undead savages.
    Witches and Werebeasts could still do their thing and my sim's garden was safe.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Oh i've just remembered how i loved the full moon... please give us werewolfs and that cross-pack full moon for witches and lovers!