Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 3 stuck in the 2000s/ early 2010s?

I remember reading a while ago that someone mentioned that some aspects of TS3 look a bit dated. By that I would guess the fashions and hair styles.

TS1 and TS2 would look even more in the past (specially TS1 having that black and white TV!)

What do you see that might look out of date now but does not bother our Sims?

The TVs with the box on the back (remember when people called the TV 'the box')

Cars

Hairstyles?

Yes hair styles. Humara's hairstyle is very 2009!

m4grqKM.jpg

DnxPfRd.jpg

PORHbje.jpg

ZalUZGt.jpg
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    Oh well. Can always download CC. :)

Doesn't bother me that some stuff is a bit dated.
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @McTosh wrote: »
    Oh well. Can always download CC. :)

Doesn't bother me that some stuff is a bit dated.

I have got some CC to make things look even more dated such as the 90s curtains for male hair: :wink:

cv85OFy.jpg

EGs9PCH.jpg

LZEqKPM.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    it doesn't bother me I don't play games to be up to date
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,988 Member
    Off course the Sims 3 is going to be somewhat dated. The last peace of official content, even the last patch for the game was more than a decade ago.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    However dated Sims 3 may be ...
    A 2020 gaming computer can actually manage running the game without bogging down and frying graphics cards :D

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
    Damienf519 wrote: »
    Off course the Sims 3 is going to be somewhat dated. The last peace of official content, even the last patch for the game was more than a decade ago.

2010? :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @BlackSand wrote: »
    However dated Sims 3 may be ...
    A 2020 gaming computer can actually manage running the game without bogging down and frying graphics cards :D

Hence why hundreds of thousands of us still play :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    I'm also a bit dated, so all's well.

This may explain why I like SV. I still remember when stuff looked like that.

Tbf it was only 7 years ago. 2013 brought University, isla Paradise & Into Future.

It's not as dated as earlier sim installments. I mean, we do have flatscreen tvs and smartphones and tablets at least. :)

I use hte more 'dated' content (like the box tvs mentioned) for elderly sims or geeky sims that like retro stuff.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I mean, my tv in real life still has a box on the back? haha! So I don't think I'd notice that one
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2020
    First of all, the last real patch, not counting the Origin one, was released in 2014. The last official content was the final store set released in September of that same year, so that's less than 6 years ago.

Second of all, I haven't left my house in real life since 1955.* Everything within the game looks too ultra-modern and weird to me, so I'm always trying to retro things down. I can see though how younger players may feel that things could be updated a bit but as said that is what CC is for. A lot of the game's sensibilities, if you can call them that, are reminiscent of some idealized version of the 1950s that were never real, and that's all part of its charm for many of us.

*This is of course utter nonsense (although it might have made for a good movie plot), that's just how it feels these days for other reasons. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @McTosh wrote: »

Tbf it was only 7 years ago. 2013 brought University, isla Paradise & Into Future.

It's not as dated as earlier sim installments. I mean, we do have flatscreen tvs and smartphones and tablets at least. :)

I use hte more 'dated' content (like the box tvs mentioned) for elderly sims or geeky sims that like retro stuff.

Thats why I loved the black and white TV in TS1. Sims never got a lot of fun out of it but no one had been watching black and white anywhere in the world for at least 20 years at that point which is what made it even more funny having it.

I did notice a flat screen PC in TS1 though. It is almost like they could see into the future... :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited July 2020
    It is a little bit dated looking in terms of clothing and some furniture. Sims 1&2 have the same issue, but I don’t care.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Yes some clothes and such look outdated but from what i noticed what was out of style yesterday can make a comeback tomorrow so maybe one day these outdated items are gonna seem very modern and in style XD Anyways, i think the game still has tons of modern stuff unlike the previous two games but it makes sense since it is newer. I also dont mind using outdated looking stuff, i actually feel they have something charming about them, and thanks to the color wheel and CASt you can make them look very intersting.
    edited July 2020
    igazor wrote: »
    First of all, the last real patch, not counting the Origin one, was released in 2014. The last official content was the final store set released in September of that same year, so that's less than 6 years ago.

Second of all, I haven't left my house in real life since 1955.* Everything within the game looks too ultra-modern and weird to me, so I'm always trying to retro things down. I can see though how younger players may feel that things could be updated a bit but as said that is what CC is for. A lot of the game's sensibilities, if you can call them that, are reminiscent of some idealized version of the 1950s that were never real, and that's all part of its charm for many of us.

*This is of course utter nonsense (although it might have made for a good movie plot), that's just how it feels these days for other reasons. :)

I'm gonna make an Igizor sim and stick him in a house with nothing but dated furniture and items now :p
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,669 Member
    edited July 2020
    Teens height. Many or most teens today are close to adult height. When I was in college, I saw some teens who looked like they were in their early teenage on the way home, but they were basically close to adult height, some girls even taller than me (5'2). Even when I was in the first year (2011) of middle school, 3/4 of my classmates including me had adult height (people usually goes to middle school at 12-13 in my country). Although there not be so many overall, my class was indeed relatively taller on average, but by the second grade there wasn't much difference between my class and the overall
    In TS4 teens have same height as adults

If the timeline, according to some sims age changes, I think TS3 is late 1980s or early 1990s

Edit:
    If it was the late 80s and early 90s, this style may be a bit "time traveler"
    aECj4x.jpg
    Post edited by Shadow_Assassin on
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    I liked the 2000s and early 2010s, so the game being stuck in that era adds to the fun for me. But at the same time, there are some store items I once paid money for that I now wish my Sims could burn:

nhnao0q.png
    9jFJuCm.png
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I'm stuck in the 70s so nothing feels dated about the game to me - in fact, it's futuristic from my POV :D;)
  • RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    Yes, it looks dated, but I truly don’t mind. I was a teen when ts3 came out, so to me, it’s just the fashion of my teens. To be completely honest with you, I’m kind of looking forward to when late 00-early 10s fashion will be back in style again, like 90s and early 00s is now.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I'm stuck in the 70s so nothing feels dated about the game to me - in fact, it's futuristic from my POV :D;)

80s here... And not feeling great about "feeling old..." Still trying to figure out how to do this "3D Rendering" thing. My brain can't keep up.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Well, I find many newer TS4 CAS items pants wayy too current for my taste ... or rather, just, I don't like those "jogger" and hammer pants! :s

So I'll take a bit dated over that, haha. Like playing TS4 with my packs, it seems like I barely have "normal" pants compared to all the new hammer/jogger pants ... especially for men. :/

This is probably also why I don't personally find TS3 so dated. It's all relative and still fairly recent in the grand scheme of things. Also, I like the mid-late 00s best!
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited July 2020
    Last thing I wanna see in sims right now: Scrunchies, handmade bracelets, Birkenstocks and Tshirts that say "Skip a Straw, Save the Turtles" :lol::wink:

We can sort of modernize it I suppose. I like it how it is though. I just added the 70s 80s 90s stuff Pack today and love the new stuff!
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    I can't play without University Life because of the smartphones (=The lack of smartphones in basegame or other EPs).
  • SimmerusSimmerus Posts: 7 New Member
    Well it's hard to say since it has some stuff that is really modern and some stuff that is really retro so I believe it depends on town you are in since Bridgeport seems to feel really modern in terms of furniture and clothing but Sunset Valley seems more retro but that's actually how it is since Sunset valley is I believe 50 years before Pleasantview (TS2). In conclusion, The Sims 3 is not stuck in 1 time period but the towns that come in the base game, expansion packs, and store are based in different time periods.

Oh, and another proof is that in Sunset Valley Bella Goth is a kid but in Lunar Lakes she is dead...
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Simmerus wrote: »

Oh, and another proof is that in Sunset Valley Bella Goth is a kid but in Lunar Lakes she is dead...

Keen eye for detail ... Welcome Aboard in the forums.

Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA