The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are weddings still a thing in the Sims?

Honestly I haven't bothered with wedding ceremonies in the sims since Sims 2 cause there isn't any religion in the game so kind of pointless to go thru the motions when you are really talking about Civil Ceremonies which is fine with me. Going to Town Hall or City Hall instead of a church or synagogue or mosque is perfectly ok with my game play. Then I see this pop up saying they have a Wedding Challenge? Have there been things added to the game that I'm not aware of? Or do sims just come and sit in folding chairs and watch your two sims marry themselves (like going to the supermarket and checking ourselves out and bagging your own groceries?)

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    Honestly I haven't bothered with wedding ceremonies in the sims since Sims 2 cause there isn't any religion in the game so kind of pointless to go thru the motions when you are really talking about Civil Ceremonies which is fine with me. Going to Town Hall or City Hall instead of a church or synagogue or mosque is perfectly ok with my game play. Then I see this pop up saying they have a Wedding Challenge? Have there been things added to the game that I'm not aware of? Or do sims just come and sit in folding chairs and watch your two sims marry themselves (like going to the supermarket and checking ourselves out and bagging your own groceries?)

Last wedding I organised nobody sat in a chair to watch the ceremony. :lol:
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Sometimes I will have a wedding for a sim but most often I have started letting them elope ( I usually do this on a whim of my own and forget to even take them to a location that would be nice to elope at). I created a wedding venue and have actually used it only a few times but it's just too much for me with parties of any kind in the Sims, it doesn't feel like as much fun as I had with them in 3, even weddings. If it did not feel like so much work just to get thru it I would definitely do more weddings, that and if they made a wedding pack that added things (even a Wedding Shower would be cool) like tossing bouquets and stuff.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Most, if not all of my sims elope. I haven't done a proper sims wedding since ts3 right after generations came out.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    I find weddings pointless in this game for some reason.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    What you want to do is start large conversations with the guests. Then click on your seating and “sit and chat” there. Everyone will go sit. Now get under that arch and get married before they go off and do something ridiculous.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I've had one wedding in Sulani, but most I let elope simply because weddings aren't my thing. I hate them in real life, wouldn't have ever wanted one for myself (hate having attention on me haha) , and so I don't play them in the sims either.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited July 2020
    Yes I always have weddings in my sim games. I download venues from the gallery or have a nice set up at my home lot. I think its fun and like to take photos, its a nice memory. I do wish they had a religion aspect/function in the game. Its a huge portion missing in my game thats in my real life that would help me feel like my game is more personal or realistic to me. Even having more objects or tools to let us roleplay it (with the exception of the holiday objects/deco, I do not observe those in Seasons) would help with that alot.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2020
    From what I've seen weddings are a glitchy mess now. Tried getting my sim married a few weeks ago and it was very stressful, first try absolutely nobody showed up. Not even the groom. Second try a grand total of 3 people appeared out of the 15 I invited and it was raining so everyone was miserable as it was an outdoors venue. By the time I got rid of the rain the event was practically over.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    I like having weddings. Not for all couples, but some. There hasn't been stuff added officially, but for example Sulani offers a new wedding location. I have a ton of different wedding venues in my game. Haven't used them all, but at least my sims have where to choose from. I see nothing wrong in the wedding system as it is - apart from the trouble having the guests sit down.
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    I love doing weddings in the game and making each one as unique and related to my sims stories as possible. Building small venues helps keep guests on track. Or forming a group and getting guests seated before you start the ceremony makes them watch the wedding a lot easier. I imagine sims have their own beliefs and traditions so the lack of formal religion doesnt bother me. My last wedding ceremony was at the Von Haunt Estate. I had to teleport sims to the arch but they all stayed and watched the ceremony. I play with autinomy on.
  • mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    I am actively trying to have my sims make friends (I'm usually bad at this), and I feel like if they have meaningful friendships, have the friends attend the ceremony, as well as the rest of the family, and you take pictures of everyone it can be fun. Forming a group is very useful - if the game doesn't glitch, of course. The timer and goals in the event can stress me out though.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    @mingussss Do you know you can make an ungoaled event? It's more relaxing :smile:
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Some of my Sims have big weddings in San Myshuno or Windenburg at the wedding venues there, or I have a small one on a residential lot. Then other Sims elope. It really depends on the couple.

I used to have a really nice Church for weddings from the gallery by EHaught58 that has a small cemetery, that came in useful for ridding myself of those urns in my household inventory. But I replaced it with a Bowling Alley a while back, I make bowling team groups for my Sims in my game, so it was more useful after I had in game lots that I could use.

As to the wedding, I've found good prep the key. Have the couple move in together before, so you can control both, even include the family by having them in the household too. Bake a wedding cake before, just in case no caterer shows up. I also have formal wedding outfits for them in case the bride gets a red wedding dress. I usually get a gold or silver achievement on my weddings .

They tweaked the guests in a patch a while back, but I also know there are mods to make the guests sit down for the ceremony too. Prevents dancing in the asiles.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I rarely go to the effort of having a wedding party, but when I do have two Sims who do, they always use Myshuno Meadows. I've edited the building to include a bedroom upstairs.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I had three weddings recently because I usually don't do them and was wondering what they are all about. I am not religious in real life so that doesn't matter to me. I was actually pleased with how they turned out. I created my own venue for weddings in Sulani and the last one I held in a modified version of the Starlight Lounge in San Myshuno (saved to library for future use). The more familiar I get with the process the better they will be so I will probably keep doing them. I am working on a multi-generational family so weddings and other parties are a must.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    I can be romantic but weddings is not my cup of tea. I've attended many :s and I can't see myself going there anytime soon, but I do let my sims have their private little thing when it feels right. Doing the proper ceremony in game usually turns into a disaster so I tend to skip it altogether. I'm more interested in graveyards and funerals for TS4. I need help.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    All my sims have weddings. I do wish the guests wouldn't act like ignorant (insert word that I can't say here) though and that there was an NPC sim that would perform the ceremony to marry my sims.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    I've either not bothered with weddings, did them for the "free stuff" rewards, but after finding out you can elope, I've mostly been doing that.

However after playing the game quite awhile now, I may do more full weddings. On my main characters anyways.

THIS caught my attention for a wedding venue. Now I have the perfect place for my sims "Admiral 8Q" and "Hanna Harpoon" (Mermaid) to get married! I'll have to take lots of screenshots and add it to my story thread when I do. ;)

LaKS1au.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I very rarely have weddings for my sims. Too time-consuming and boring. If I really like my sims I might make an exception to get a screenshot. Usually, I just make my sims have kids and then when their kids are almost young adults I remember that the parents aren't married and just end up making them elope. Not that you need to get married if you have kids or in general... I just like to make my sims get married even though I never wanna get married myself :'D

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    they are but I wish they would give us more stuff for them
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    @musteni I had no idea you could opt out of the goals!! thank you :)
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    They are still a thing, but there is no benefit for wedded couple. but I do it just for the sake of story and immersion
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SadiesueSadiesue Posts: 128 Member
    I only did a couple weddings years ago when I first started playing. The first one I ever did didn’t turn out too bad but it was stressful. The second one was disastrous. I had it at Willow Creek park. I still remember it. Lol. I forgot the cake and the caterer didn’t show up. It started raining and my bride peed herself because I was focused on other things and the groom was passed out in gazebo from exhaustion. (This was before I knew you could cheat their needs). Then one of my elderly guests decided it was her time to go and died. Everyone was standing around the dead elder crying and fearing the reaper. I swore to never do another one so I just have them elope. But I try to make the elopement as romantic as possible by buying the arch and having them exchange their vows in their backyard in their formal attire or take them somewhere where the scenery is breathtaking depending on how vested I am with Sims I’m playing. I just had my favorite couple elope in front of the waterfall in Sulani not too long ago. It was very romantic and they were able to “celebrate” their marriage after😉.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    From what I've seen weddings are a glitchy mess now. Tried getting my sim married a few weeks ago and it was very stressful, first try absolutely nobody showed up. Not even the groom. Second try a grand total of 3 people appeared out of the 15 I invited and it was raining so everyone was miserable as it was an outdoors venue. By the time I got rid of the rain the event was practically over.

I make sure the bride and groom are already living together before I set the wedding date -- that way I at least ensure the groom shows up. One problem is that if a Sim is invited, they have to already have the day off work otherwise they won't show up. Another problem is that only the Sim planning the event can invite people; if the other partner has friends/family who aren't in the planner's relationship panel, those folks won't get invited. Pretty one-sided. :|
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)