Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What’s the deal with badges and forum reactions?

First off, I’m a forum noob, I only actively checked in mid June this year. So I’m still learning.
Here’s my question:

Whenever I go and check the thread notifications on my profile page, I also see this reaction count for insightfuls, likes and awesomes.

I understand why and how these reactions should be used, although I’m not entirely sure how the mechanics work. They never make any sense on my account.

I’ve received badges for a certain amount of, say, insightfuls or awesomes, even if the count was 5 or 10 below whatever I received this badge for.
I understand getting a badge means I should somehow feel better about myself, although, why do I get a badge for 500 awesomes if I only have 485?
I wasn’t feeling that bad about myself. :p

Even funnier, I’ve noticed some days the count goes drastically down by over 100 within 1 minute. I can literally see it count down.

It’s like it’s telling me: ‘Hey man, you thought you were awesome? Eat this! Fool!’ And down it goes. It’s very comical.

I don’t care if my posts are liked or not, but it’s something I noticed and I’m curious about how these mechanics work and why I’m getting badges for things I obviously don’t deserve?

If it happens because I was misbehaving and someone is having a laugh, then I do get it and I’ll ask no more. ;)

Does anyone else experience this?

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I guess someone must have come back to your post and took out the reaction they had put before... this is just a guess.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2020
    I would just like to be able to view who clicks Insightful, Like, or Awesome on posts. I do not like that this information is hidden.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited July 2020
    @telmarina wrote: »
    I guess someone must have come back to your post and took out the reaction they had put before... this is just a guess.

I totally understand this could happen and I wouldn’t blame them :D .But 100 within 1 minute, really a couple of seconds though? How is someone able to go through all those posts within that time? When I can visually see the count drop. A human can’t do that manually. A sim?

I do believe it’s an automated thing, so I wonder how these mechanics work and what the reasoning is behind it.
    @Chazzzy wrote: »
    I would just like to be able to view who clicks Insightful, Like, or Awesome on posts. I do not like that this information is hidden.

I don’t mind that, although it would be interesting to see. Maybe they want to keep it anonymous?

If you’re wondering who gave you a ‘like’, it was me. ;)

I totally understand this could happen and I wouldn’t blame them :D .But 100 within 1 minute, really a couple of seconds though? How is someone able to go through all those posts within that time? When I can visually see the count drop. A human can’t do that manually. A sim?

I do believe it’s an automated thing, so I wonder how these mechanics work and what the reasoning is behind it.

Oh ok i get it.
    Well i have no idea how it works but i haven't noticed anything like that in my profile thougt...
    edited July 2020

Oh ok i get it.
    Well i have no idea how it works but i haven't noticed anything like that in my profile thougt...

You’re lucky. But watch this!

I’m only messing. ;)

Oh ok i get it.

You’re lucky. But watch this!

I’m only messing. ;)

Hahah
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    Have you checked out the AHQ badges yet? That's something else I tell ya. Or rather the ranks there: they give you prestige ^^
    You can read more here...
    origin ID: adduapina
    @adduapina wrote: »
    Have you checked out the AHQ badges yet? That's something else I tell ya. Or rather the ranks there: they give you prestige ^^
    You can read more here...

Ah, I saw them. I don't even have time for that, I see I somehow ranked up there and I have no clue as to how and why. :D
    I'm still curious about the badge and reaction mechanics in this forum. It doesn't seem to make sense...but it's no big dealio!
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I have read that there used to be more reaction options, including dislikes, but they were discontinued due to drama. I have also read that we can’t see who likes our posts due to past drama as well.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited July 2020
    i think insightfuls are sometimes given sarcastically
    edited July 2020
    Chazzzy wrote: »

i soo agree. btw gave you a like
    Post edited by bella_goth on
    edited July 2020
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I have read that there used to be more reaction options, including dislikes, but they were discontinued due to drama. I have also read that we can’t see who likes our posts due to past drama as well.

Yeah in the brazilian forum it still has 'dislike'and 'hahaha' reaction (literally that 🤣).
    I still don't get why 100 reactions can go down in a couple of seconds.
    It can't be because one poor creature decided to go through all these posts manually. As B.A. would say, 'I pity the fool.'

Is there an automated thing? Do moderators do this? Is it because I did something against the rules? I can't see anything in the forum rules and I haven't been here long enough to have an insight about why certain things work the way they work around here.

Obviously it's no big deal, but I would like to understand how these mechanics and features function in the forum I've joined. If those features react in a random way and don't make sense, I'm not sure why they exist. I need some logic here.

I'm just wondering if others are experiencing the same thing?
    edited July 2020
    bellagoth_ wrote: »

Why would someone give insightfuls sarcastically?

Yeah in the brazilian forum it still has 'dislike'and 'hahaha' reaction (literally that 🤣).

Do you then also get badges for dislikes???

Like a badge in the shape of a Troll saying:' Your posts suck. You're doing real 'great' around here.'

Like a badge in the shape of a Troll saying:' Your posts suck. You're doing real 'great' around here.'

Hahah i don't know... i go there just once in a while but it's almost always a very quiet forum.

But wouldn't that be great? 🤣

Hahah i don't know... i go there just once in a while but it's almost always a very quiet forum.

But wouldn't that be great? 🤣

I actually wouldn't mind that. After all we have to be able to see things from both sides. ;)
    edited July 2020
    telmarina wrote: »

cuz i have them on some random comments and i don't see someone reading those and saying interesting

cuz i have them on some random comments and i don't see someone reading those and saying interesting

That's a weird move...
    edited July 2020

Same here. Folks may give you an insightful just by telling them how you prefer to wear your socks. Usually it's meant as a joke.

Same here. Folks may give you an insightful just by telling them how you prefer to wear your socks. Usually it's meant as a joke.

oof this button has too many interpretations

That's a weird move...

i once got like 10 insightfuls at once on my newest comments and never understood why, i would love to know who was

Indeed indeed...
    i once got like 10 insightfuls at once on my newest comments and never understood why, i would love to know who was

At once? Now this is exactly what I'm talking about. You gained 10 insightfuls at once. I lost 100 awesomes at once.
    I'm wondering if it's a bug in the calculation process? You got lucky. I got bamboozled.
    Who's behind all this?

Indeed indeed...

At once? Now this is exactly what I'm talking about. You gained 10 insightfuls at once. I lost 100 awesomes at once.
    I'm wondering if it's a bug in the calculation process? You got lucky. I got bamboozled.
    Who's behind all this?

yeah most likely a bug, like the one where it randomly logs you out of the site. or it could be bots?
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member

They deliberately *don't* have a way to say that you dislike something. From the early days of the TS1 and TS2 forums there were a lot of problems from people using "dislike" as a way of trashing people's reputations unjustly. Frankly, I'm really glad they don't have it anymore. (It used to make a *lot* of work for the SimMasters in the old days. I suspect it would make a lot of work for the EA Moderators.)