Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not patched in a long time, advice needed please

Because of all the bugs in the pre-EL patch I haven't updated my game since April, and someone told me I should repair my game after updating it.
Is there a risk that updating now will break my game?
Is it risky to update after not having done so for so long?

Can someone reassure me please 'cause I'm freaking out.
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited July 2020
    I am may not be the best help since I keep my game fairly up to date while I am playing (except when they have those game breakers that destroy saves), but I have taken breaks from the game and updated when I came back. Forgetting about Sims 4 for two months is not much in my book and I have not had any problems, but the repair your game function should not break anything if you do it. You may not need to, though it could help it run better.

It is always a good idea to go in and back up your saves and gallery, though. I just copy the whole folder and let it sit on my desktop for emergencies. In six years I have not needed it beyond submitting saves for bug reports, but I also play vanilla.

In short, I am fairly sure you will be fine, but it is a good idea to back up your stuff and be prepared to fight it anyway. I imagine that is what that advice was for. Also, for the record, I have been playing with EL and its patch and have not encountered anything game breaking to me. Depends on your tolerance.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I took a 3-4 month break, by the time I got back to the game it took 40 minutes to update. I didn’t repair. It seems like I have fewer bugs than others report. I don’t have EL but my gardening is less buggy than others have described, who also don’t have EL. It sounds like EL is more trouble than it’s worth right now in its current state. Thankfully I had no interest in that pack anyway.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    I don't have EL and I have patched the game since then except for the newest one this month and my game is fine except for movies not ending. At all. Repairing after patching is never a bad idea. I do that myself, especially after big patches and adding new packs.

Just make sure you copy your Sim folder before patching and if you use mods, make sure to delete/remove "all" your Mods. Not your CCs but your Mods and redownload the updated ones. Some Mods might still be compatible so check with creators. Remove also the localthumbcache.package in the Sims folder if you have CCs and/or Mods that is. Just delete that sucker. It's a bad thing to leave in if you make any changes to your mods folder.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I also dont have EL and dont plan on getting it. The only bug that is really annoying to me right now is the gardening bug but it's not a game buster for now.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,444 Member
    I think you should be okay. I also don't own Eco Lifestyle and don't seem to have all of the bugs that others have been experiencing. I admit though, I don't really do much gardening so I have no idea if that was affected or not.

But updating now shouldn't be an issue. Just think of the people who play Sims for the first time later in its life and they have to catch up with all of the patches anyway, so the game should set itself straight. I do recommend doing a game repair afterwards though. I always do after a major patch.

But, as others have said, back up your Sims 4 folder before you do anything. Remove your mods and CC (I usually just put the whole mods folder aside on my desktop) and delete the localthumbecache file in the Sims 4 folder. After you're done updating and patching, I suggest going into the game, even just CAS to see if things look okay and maybe try some test gameplay to make sure everything's good. Then exit without saving and try putting your CC back in (but not mods until you've updated or gotten verification that they don't need updating) but I would exclude any defaults at first. Sometimes default CC can break, (like custom skins or eye color replacements) so check with the creator for those too. But remember to delete the localthumbecache file again. It should be deleted every time you add or remove any CC or mods to your folder, just in case.

Hope that helps. Good luck! :)
    #Team Occult
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    I can only speak for myself, but I also haven't updated since, I think, sometime in May. And I won't do so until everything stabilizes again after all the recent big changes to the game. My game is stable right now, and given my experience with the series, for me that's a pretty valuable position to be in. I'm looking forward to eventually having some of the new things that were patched in, but I'm not in a hurry for it.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to wait until the mods I use have been updated post-knitting patch.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited July 2020
    It should be fine. I had to take a 6 month break from sims because of uni last year and did not patch my game at all during that time. Patched when I came back to the game with no issues. Didn't repair my game.