Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Multiplayer on sims 4

2...Next

Comments

• IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Lol, some of the worries in this thread reminds me of something I said in another thread.
    But sometimes it feels like the sims community treats all hypothetical speculation as a kind of monkey’s paw. Like, “don’t SAY THAT! They might HEAR YOU!” Like the only way it’s okay to want (or even think about it long enough to decide if you would want it or not) something is to like, phrase it perfectly like a wish to a capricious genie, or else it’ll get corrupted and be added to the game in a dark sinister way.

And I get it, sort of. EA have certainly brow-beaten the community into fear of ideas. 😂
    But I promise the things you don’t like about the game right now aren’t bad because someone on a forum somewhere said something you don’t like. 🤣

And like, sure, it’s easy to imagine things going badly. But isn’t “what would make you think this was a good idea? If they were to do it well, what would you like that to look like?” also an interesting question? Just? To think about?

lol, monkey's paw is funny. However, didn't you know I have always seen Maxis as the evil genie? How many times has someone asked for something to be added to the game for it to only be the opposite of what they meant, or asked for, and or with an evil hook to it? If you want a more recent example how about Laundry Day pack. It started out as eco living off the grid. It has been stated it turned into laundry day for Sims by community vote. But is that really true. Wasn't laundry already planned at some point and or possibly discussed before in meetings and this would be a good chance to add it into the game (laundry) with a bucket/off the grid twist. But in truth there is very little in a stuff pack that the theme is/was living off the grid and technically all about laundry.

ETA: Another example, there were people asking to visit other people's games in TS3. Not my cup of tea but that also had a few threads. What did they get? Simport. What was wrong with Simport, the game couldn't be turned off if you accepted a request of another to perform at a venue. You had to build a venue right away if you didn't already have one in your world, you couldn't save during the wait (24 hrs) when expecting the visit, your Sim had to be present at the performance (maybe they were too busy right at that moment or route fail) for the other player to get the credit for going to your world, and worst of all, if you were listed as accepting others into your world, you were hit with thousands of friend requests, who eventually took over your own Simpage, and you had no idea who any of those people are/were, so any conversations on your own Simpage was pointless since it was now being run by total strangers. And during the wait (time zones) of the real time 24 hours, the game lagged to the point of not being able to move around much. EA doesn't have a good track record nor does Maxis of building a fun filled, bug free, problem free MMO nor Multiplayer.

ETA: Simpage where you invite a few to see and talk about your Sims or download your Sims or homes etc. and where you accept request to join your Simpage. Great right, but Simport friends and their friends and their friends and their friends having conversations in your chat feed where you no longer know anyone on your Simpage, don't like the discussions and didn't have any idea what the heck was going on inside your own chat Simpage.

Yeah, but “they’ve done this feature badly before or it could be done badly” is an argument against all features. It’s saying it’s bad to try and they shouldn’t even have a game. They messed up babies so we shouldn’t have babies in later games. They’ve implemented both rabbit holes and active lots badly so we can’t have sims leave their homes. They’ve had funky routing and AI so sims shouldn’t get to walk. Etc. - By the end of it, if that’s the approach you take, you end up philosophically backing EA sending you a jpeg and charging you $40 to look at it. At least they rendered this jpeg okay!

I fully support being suspicious of EA’s ability to deliver a good game with good features. I am as well. But it’s still okay to ask for good features, rather than giving up on any potential feature before anyone has started on the basis it could be implemented poorly.

And to me, if and when a feature is implemented poorly, it’s important to place the blame where it belongs. There is nothing wrong with the idea of the features themselves. EA did a bad job. It’s not wrong to want new mechanics in the game, and wanting a good game with robust diversity of play styles isn’t to blame for EA farting out the least supported basic bug pile they can get away with charging for.

I'll have to disagree simply because I see this series as The Sims, not any other game in the universe. If they keep bringing in new mechanics of 'diverse' play styles, which is just code for different genre, then they might as well stop calling it The Sims, and name it any old other game out there. The Sims is unique because it was people playing their own way, not a developer's idea of what should or shouldn't be done with the Sim and it's life. If multiplayer becomes part of single player game which allowed the player and is supposed to be in control of the world, how it plays, who lives there, what is their story, are they successful or tortured and destoryed then it is no longer The Sims, but a direction Maxis wants us to play.
    That is no longer a game we are supposed to control every facid of their lifes and worlds. True, TS4 is the least of these games by the standard of 'you control, you rule' but it is no longer The Sims but a different genre where No you don't control or rule. If people want to ask Maxis to build a multiplayer separate from this franchise, go for it, but single players aren't going to buy it or play it for very long if they understand the root of The Sims. Multiplayer can't offer single players any thing at all they would want to play that involves another player in real time. What most of us single players understand is we are gods of our games, not Maxis and it annoys us to the hilt for Maxis to try to even make us do particular things in a linear way or specific way rather than our way as in the past which offered much more flexability and freedom of imagination and design and or creativity. TS4 is too limited already.

ETA: And if you read my signature there are still a few of us left who agree with W.W...games are not the place to tell stories (linear and controlled) but to let people tell their own stories. Now anyone want to tell me how multiplayer would allow a single player to 'tell' their own story and gameplay? It wouldn't. If you want to change the franchise, fine, but leave single player games alone.

In what way would an optional multiplayer stop you from playing your game your way? The single-player experiences of Minecraft and Stardew Valley are no less robust for multiplayer having been grafted onto them.

Just don’t use it and no one but you will be in your game. You will still be able to play your way.

Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    Lol, some of the worries in this thread reminds me of something I said in another thread.
    But sometimes it feels like the sims community treats all hypothetical speculation as a kind of monkey’s paw. Like, “don’t SAY THAT! They might HEAR YOU!” Like the only way it’s okay to want (or even think about it long enough to decide if you would want it or not) something is to like, phrase it perfectly like a wish to a capricious genie, or else it’ll get corrupted and be added to the game in a dark sinister way.

And I get it, sort of. EA have certainly brow-beaten the community into fear of ideas. 😂
    But I promise the things you don’t like about the game right now aren’t bad because someone on a forum somewhere said something you don’t like. 🤣

And like, sure, it’s easy to imagine things going badly. But isn’t “what would make you think this was a good idea? If they were to do it well, what would you like that to look like?” also an interesting question? Just? To think about?

lol, monkey's paw is funny. However, didn't you know I have always seen Maxis as the evil genie? How many times has someone asked for something to be added to the game for it to only be the opposite of what they meant, or asked for, and or with an evil hook to it? If you want a more recent example how about Laundry Day pack. It started out as eco living off the grid. It has been stated it turned into laundry day for Sims by community vote. But is that really true. Wasn't laundry already planned at some point and or possibly discussed before in meetings and this would be a good chance to add it into the game (laundry) with a bucket/off the grid twist. But in truth there is very little in a stuff pack that the theme is/was living off the grid and technically all about laundry.

ETA: Another example, there were people asking to visit other people's games in TS3. Not my cup of tea but that also had a few threads. What did they get? Simport. What was wrong with Simport, the game couldn't be turned off if you accepted a request of another to perform at a venue. You had to build a venue right away if you didn't already have one in your world, you couldn't save during the wait (24 hrs) when expecting the visit, your Sim had to be present at the performance (maybe they were too busy right at that moment or route fail) for the other player to get the credit for going to your world, and worst of all, if you were listed as accepting others into your world, you were hit with thousands of friend requests, who eventually took over your own Simpage, and you had no idea who any of those people are/were, so any conversations on your own Simpage was pointless since it was now being run by total strangers. And during the wait (time zones) of the real time 24 hours, the game lagged to the point of not being able to move around much. EA doesn't have a good track record nor does Maxis of building a fun filled, bug free, problem free MMO nor Multiplayer.

ETA: Simpage where you invite a few to see and talk about your Sims or download your Sims or homes etc. and where you accept request to join your Simpage. Great right, but Simport friends and their friends and their friends and their friends having conversations in your chat feed where you no longer know anyone on your Simpage, don't like the discussions and didn't have any idea what the heck was going on inside your own chat Simpage.

Yeah, but “they’ve done this feature badly before or it could be done badly” is an argument against all features. It’s saying it’s bad to try and they shouldn’t even have a game. They messed up babies so we shouldn’t have babies in later games. They’ve implemented both rabbit holes and active lots badly so we can’t have sims leave their homes. They’ve had funky routing and AI so sims shouldn’t get to walk. Etc. - By the end of it, if that’s the approach you take, you end up philosophically backing EA sending you a jpeg and charging you $40 to look at it. At least they rendered this jpeg okay!

I fully support being suspicious of EA’s ability to deliver a good game with good features. I am as well. But it’s still okay to ask for good features, rather than giving up on any potential feature before anyone has started on the basis it could be implemented poorly.

And to me, if and when a feature is implemented poorly, it’s important to place the blame where it belongs. There is nothing wrong with the idea of the features themselves. EA did a bad job. It’s not wrong to want new mechanics in the game, and wanting a good game with robust diversity of play styles isn’t to blame for EA farting out the least supported basic bug pile they can get away with charging for.

I'll have to disagree simply because I see this series as The Sims, not any other game in the universe. If they keep bringing in new mechanics of 'diverse' play styles, which is just code for different genre, then they might as well stop calling it The Sims, and name it any old other game out there. The Sims is unique because it was people playing their own way, not a developer's idea of what should or shouldn't be done with the Sim and it's life. If multiplayer becomes part of single player game which allowed the player and is supposed to be in control of the world, how it plays, who lives there, what is their story, are they successful or tortured and destoryed then it is no longer The Sims, but a direction Maxis wants us to play.
    That is no longer a game we are supposed to control every facid of their lifes and worlds. True, TS4 is the least of these games by the standard of 'you control, you rule' but it is no longer The Sims but a different genre where No you don't control or rule. If people want to ask Maxis to build a multiplayer separate from this franchise, go for it, but single players aren't going to buy it or play it for very long if they understand the root of The Sims. Multiplayer can't offer single players any thing at all they would want to play that involves another player in real time. What most of us single players understand is we are gods of our games, not Maxis and it annoys us to the hilt for Maxis to try to even make us do particular things in a linear way or specific way rather than our way as in the past which offered much more flexability and freedom of imagination and design and or creativity. TS4 is too limited already.

ETA: And if you read my signature there are still a few of us left who agree with W.W...games are not the place to tell stories (linear and controlled) but to let people tell their own stories. Now anyone want to tell me how multiplayer would allow a single player to 'tell' their own story and gameplay? It wouldn't. If you want to change the franchise, fine, but leave single player games alone.

In what way would an optional multiplayer stop you from playing your game your way? The single-player experiences of Minecraft and Stardew Valley are no less robust for multiplayer having been grafted onto them.

Just don’t use it and no one but you will be in your game. You will still be able to play your way.

We don't know that. We would have no idea how multiplayer would work for TS4. But just a question about something I keep seeing here. I have never played Minecraft, not interested in that type of game, nor Stardew Valley, again it's not The Sims, but why do people keep bringing up those two games as if they are life simulators? Why do people who enjoy those games want The Sims to be like those games? What do they offer that would make The Sims better for everyone? What are people hoping for with a multiplayer. Most are turned off by the thought of an adult being able to interact with a minor in many of the life simulator situations.

If it's building a project together Simmers have already mastered how to do that with multiple players building parts of a world, the homes, the community lots, the NPCs and or townies, the back stories, the households, and even the clothes, accessories, hair and skins. Without inteference of multiplayer online distractions.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited July 2020
    We don't know that. We would have no idea how multiplayer would work for TS4.

And again I’m back to: yeah, we don’t know anything. But why is it wrong to hope for a GOOD version of a feature just because a bad version is possible? YOU don’t know multiplayer WOULDN’T be optional. And if they did a bad job of it, it wouldn’t mean multiplayer is inherently a bad feature any more than them doing a bad job with babies means they just shouldn’t have babies.
    But just a question about something I keep seeing here. I have never played Minecraft, not interested in that type of game, nor Stardew Valley, again it's not The Sims,

If you’ve never played any video game other than the sims, and never played a multiplayer game, then maybe you should admit you have no experience in what we’re talking about and may have a mistaken idea of how multiplayer works. Also you may not be understanding how some mechanics from other games might be comparable, even if they are in different genres. If you are basing all your knowledge on video game development and potential on exclusively the Sims franchise, that’s not exactly a position of authority.
    but why do people keep bringing up those two games as if they are life simulators? Why do people who enjoy those games want The Sims to be like those games? What do they offer that would make The Sims better for everyone? What are people hoping for with a multiplayer.

It’s not that people want the Sims to change genres. I don’t want that at ALL. It’s that they’re two successful examples of games that were developed and released as single player experiences that later added an OPTIONAL multiplayer that was small and contained and didn’t detract from singleplayer in any way. You keep saying: I don’t want multiplayer. It would take away from single player. And we keep saying: not necessarily. Here are many working examples of games where multiplayer was optional and didn’t hurt the single-player experience.
    Most are turned off by the thought of an adult being able to interact with a minor in many of the life simulator situations.

The fact that you think THIS has to do with anything is PROOF you do NOT understand what kind of multiplayer people are requesting and maybe should get some facts on your side before spouting nonsense.
    If it's building a project together Simmers have already mastered how to do that with multiple players building parts of a world, the homes, the community lots, the NPCs and or townies, the back stories, the households, and even the clothes, accessories, hair and skins. Without inteference of multiplayer online distractions.

Okay,

1. Maybe people want to work together on builds simultaneously not just taking turns

2. Maybe people want to PLAY the actual GAME together. Tell stories together. React to events together.

3. Please I am begging you to play another video game so you can learn what we are talking about when we say multiplayer. “Online distractions” isn’t part of it.

Post edited by Ivyeyed on
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    @Ivyeyed what you also need to realise is that not all players are for multiplay i am not as a player and i would prefer the sims game to remain offline and single play minus acess tot he gallery in case you forgot multi play killed the simcity franchise and i sure do not went the sims franchise to be destroyed by multiplay and i am not the only player that prefers the sims game to remain offline
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    @Ivyeyed what you also need to realise is that not all players are for multiplay i am not as a player and i would prefer the sims game to remain offline and single play minus acess tot he gallery in case you forgot multi play killed the simcity franchise and i sure do not went the sims franchise to be destroyed by multiplay and i am not the only player that prefers the sims game to remain offline

And I would argue that it wasn’t multiplayer that killed SimsCity, but MANDATORY multiplayer and mandatory internet connection. Neither of which I favor.

Outside the Sims franchise plenty of games have managed multiplayer that allowed an uninhibited offline single player experience.
    Sometimes I stream.

• Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    Even though I like multi-player games(such as Minecraft and Roblox),even I have to agree that The Sims should remain as an offline,single player game. Lots of people want Sims to remain offline. Why? Perhaps people don't want to put up with hackers,scammers,spammers,griefers,beggars,bullies,server exploiters,online daters,server crashes,people fighting with eachother, or not being able to connect to the server because of lousy internet.

Not every game has to be an online multi-player game.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Okay,

1. Maybe people want to work together on builds simultaneously not just taking turns

2. Maybe people want to PLAY the actual GAME together. Tell stories together. React to events together.

3. Please I am begging you to play another video game so you can learn what we are talking about when we say multiplayer. “Online distractions” isn’t part of it.

You would still need to take turns on builds because you are modifying the same build, and you may need to change the view angle, or the floor you're working on, etc. Not sure if you would be able to access the catalogue indepently of each other either.
    For people who want to play together, there are a number of screen sharing applications, if you want to try playing with a friend. It's possible for them to play the game on your computer just by letting them view your screen and control the mouse.
    I think it would help if people stated more clearly what they want and expect from a multiplayer sims game. Playing with one or two friends is vastly different from a MMO, because the gameplay has to be different. We had The Sims Online and it wasn't a success story. Most simmers like to be in control of their game, and those that request online and multiplayer don't realise that they will lose a lot of control in a game with more than one player. If you think the Eco Lifestle NAPs or sim autonomy are an issue then an online multiplayer game is probably not something you want.
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 367 Member
    I am totally against multiplayer it was bad enough with Sims Online do we really need another No we don't
    If you want to play with friends then create a new save file together and use discord to play it with them
  • KindaNoobyKindaNooby Posts: 3 New Member
    I think you should be able to switch it on and off, like an online and offline version
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    If you are afraid of scammers and whatnot, you can just play with your friends and people you trust. I think people here do not know that multiplayer comes in many forms. I played multiplayer games before and i was not forced to interact with starngers or even come in contact with them, i mainly played with my family members and people i knew online.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    yeah i made a multiplayer thread on here before and people didnt even bother to read what i said. they saw multiplayer and assumed i wanted a wild west where your game is constantly online and anyone can intrude on your savefile and destroy it.

i want it like animal crossing. and i want it like the mod that james turner and dr gluon are using for their twitch stream. it looks FUN. especially now when we have to socially distance and i'd love to be able to play with my friends in the sims. the sims 4 really works with it, no surprise, since it was built to be that way. and of course i want an offline option as well.

i'm 100% for them using the structure that's already there and fixing it up and releasing it for free. as an optional thing.
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    yeah i made a multiplayer thread on here before and people didnt even bother to read what i said. they saw multiplayer and assumed i wanted a wild west where your game is constantly online and anyone can intrude on your savefile and destroy it.

i want it like animal crossing. and i want it like the mod that james turner and dr gluon are using for their twitch stream. it looks FUN. especially now when we have to socially distance and i'd love to be able to play with my friends in the sims. the sims 4 really works with it, no surprise, since it was built to be that way. and of course i want an offline option as well.

i'm 100% for them using the structure that's already there and fixing it up and releasing it for free. as an optional thing.

I saw that multiplayer mod gameplay with Dr. Gluon and James Turner and the biggest drawback I saw was that you can only play together with your friend, it's not possible to move independently of each other within the game. While this may not seem like a major inconvenience when there are only two players, I think it it will soon get tiresome when there are more than two players. By that time you will only be able to use your sims like avatars in a MMO, to help you upgrade stuff and travel together in the world.
    edited July 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »

I saw that multiplayer mod gameplay with Dr. Gluon and James Turner and the biggest drawback I saw was that you can only play together with your friend, it's not possible to move independently of each other within the game. While this may not seem like a major inconvenience when there are only two players, I think it it will soon get tiresome when there are more than two players. By that time you will only be able to use your sims like avatars in a MMO, to help you upgrade stuff and travel together in the world.

edit: i misread what you're talking about i thought you were talking about the glitch in the gameboard stream.

i dont think thats a drawback. if you're playing together i think you'd like to stay in the same place and hang out. also this is a mod that is in progress so i don't know what EA has programmed that the modder hasn't gotten to. that might be a capability to move independently but who knows.

edit: i misread what you're talking about i thought you were talking about the glitch in the gameboard stream.

i dont think thats a drawback. if you're playing together i think you'd like to stay in the same place and hang out.

If you want to hang out together, you can do so with a screen sharing application and leave EA free to add some more interesting additions to the game.

i dont think thats a drawback. if you're playing together i think you'd like to stay in the same place and hang out.

If you want to hang out together, you can do so with a screen sharing application and leave EA free to add some more interesting additions to the game.

they already have the code built. sims 4 was designed to be multiplayer and was near completion when they backtracked and made it single player only. i'd like to play with my friends, not have them watch me play.

they already have the code built. sims 4 was designed to be multiplayer and was near completion when they backtracked and made it single player only. i'd like to play with my friends, not have them watch me play.

Well, did you try out the mod with your friends? Was it as least as much fun as it looked in the demo?
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

For a simulation/management game to accommodate online multiplayer concessions have to be made. Neither roblox or Minecraft are simulation/management games so their MP functions aren’t relevant to what Sims would be. For that you should look at SimCity.

To believe Sims wouldn’t have to sacrifice features/content is very naive. Look at Sims 4 and how vastly non-functional most everything is due to it being developed as an online multiplayer game. Worlds? Tiny playable area, zero edits. Sims? No complex personalities to simulate, just some over the top animations to tell you their emotion. Objects? Zero color customization, even the swatch setup is inferior to the 2004 incarnation of Sims, everything low poly.

Not trying to get into a debate but you can’t just name drop a few games that play nothing like The Sims and expect that to hold weight. Sims Online is also a good place to research, and it was also incredibly restrictive compared to the offline game.
  • Serious_sims_gamer43Serious_sims_gamer43 Posts: 523 Member
    drake_mccarty I disagree with you there. For anyone who doesn't want to play multiplayer can just choose not to. I would like to have a multiplayer option personally, but if you don't want to you can just turn it off.