Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Curious if anyone actually pays to play this game.

jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
I got curious and downloaded it. So yea a hair costs £4.99!!! Who in their right mind would pay this money for one single item !?!!! I don’t get this monetisation model. I wish they make a proper iPad version i am happy to pay upfront not this micro transaction madness. Anyone actually pays to play this game !? Is it fun at all without paying ? Curious !

Comments

• charlesbergcharlesberg Posts: 88 Member
    I can't say it's fun, but it's good to kill some time while waiting for actions to complete in Freeplay. I thought Freeplay prices were questionable at times but TSM takes the cake, but at least with Freeplay there were some offers I felt were worth paying for after comparing them to regular store purchases.

So far, TSM has offered me bundles priced £15 and up, highest I saw was £60 and I genuinely laughed, sure, the value might have been there, but the fact they price everything so shamelessly is souring my hopes for any proper changes or adjustments.
    Signature here. No here. Never-mind.
  • 67applecore67applecore Posts: 2 New Member
    Charlesberg, there really are worse. :( . I don’t think I should mention game names here, but it’s true enough. This kind of game takes money to play to really enjoy it.
  • 67applecore67applecore Posts: 2 New Member
    Jimbbq, I’d love to pay up front, but the developers wouldn’t make a fraction of what they do with this pay- to - play system. And yes, I’ve paid, but sometimes I am concerned with the cost. I try to keep it down. If I can’t (with a game), I delete it. FWIW, my thought is that if they lowered their prices they would have more players, and more of them would stay (I’m speaking in general here, not of a particular game. But - oh well. This is what we have.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Someone the pc gaming model of pay to play works well but not on mobile. Mobile gaming is inherently evil 👿
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I can't say it's fun, but it's good to kill some time while waiting for actions to complete in Freeplay.
    Wow!! I thought freeplay and TSM were the same game, they are not?! Wow lol!

• Smurfy_Sim1Smurfy_Sim1 Posts: 7 New Member
    I have spent many hours playing TSM, and never spent a dime, until, one day, a year into playing, there was a 2.99 bundle package that I felt was reasonable enough. Well, i was double charged! Fine, whatever.... I justified the double charged thinking with all the fun I’ve had building the 7 dollars is fine, and told myself never again would I spend single dime! Well, guess what? Of course I had to have the 4th of July bundle! It was only 2.99 for 600 sim cash and a firework thingy. I never received my bundle. Money gone from rl account, but no items! Had to jump through hoops to get a refund, which i did not get, btw. Ahhh, shame on me. One more issue and I’ll just go back to playing Sims on my PC. 😶👀
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I really don't mind paying for something that seems justifiable. I'm not cheap. But I can't pay for mobile games which are always lesser quality than a pc or console game. Also it never truely feels like "mine" it feels like a fling.

I downloaded it at one point but quickly deleated it. Prices are crazy. That much for one hair when i have 1000 custom (quite literally) hairs on my sims for free. Can't justify it. 🤨
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • gothbuniegothbunie Posts: 43 Member
    I'm one of those fools who paid. Do I regret it? Yeah kinda. I don't even play it anymore.
  • I_hatehackersI_hatehackers Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="jimbbq;d-978083"]I got curious and downloaded it. So yea a hair costs £4.99!!! Who in their right mind would pay this money for one single item !?!!! I don’t get this monetisation model. I wish they make a proper iPad version i am happy to pay upfront not this micro transaction madness. Anyone actually pays to play this game !? Is it fun at all without paying ? Curious ! [/quote]

I get so upset when I see people in my group showing off how far advanced they are in a game and also showing how much sim cash they have while im showing off my Google receipts of how much I spend. I hate hackers and I hate how E.A allows it.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Hackers can just hack to get free stuff ? Jeez that sounds horrible.
    > @gpthbunie said:
    > I'm one of those fools who paid. Do I regret it? Yeah kinda. I don't even play it anymore.

I wanna add that I was already at the highest level (lvl 50) when I stopped playing. Yes it is possible to complete quest without paying but it is hard to get simcash to buy stuff unrelated to quest.
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I got curious and downloaded it. So yea a hair costs £4.99!!! Who in their right mind would pay this money for one single item !?!!! I don’t get this monetisation model. I wish they make a proper iPad version i am happy to pay upfront not this micro transaction madness. Anyone actually pays to play this game !? Is it fun at all without paying ? Curious !

I just started playing today — wanting a social/online Sims game! — and the prices astonish me, too. Mobile games used to be a LOT cheaper. Did you ever play The Sims Social on Facebook? Do you remember when $5 would get us TONS of rewards? (Like, $5 on a mobile game was A LOT then!)

Boy, the times have changed...

I'm still going to try it out for a while (idling), but definitely won't be putting any money into it.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    The prices seem kind of outrageously high to me, but I've played The Sims Mobile for a while without paying anything. It's definitely the mobile game model of Time vs Money for convenience.

You can earn in-game currencies like Sim Cash by just playing and doing quests and tasks, which you then use to speed up time or pay for things in the store like items and stuff. I think that's the currency they use to buy unlocks for stuff in the in-game store, so technically you can get all the stuff for free, it just takes ages to grind up that much Sim Cash. They hope people will be impatient enough to spend real money on buying sim cash or packs direct.

It's definitely reflected in the Roommate Rush event where you can unlock a new sim slot for free but there's no way you can complete the 100+ tasks in just 4 days unless you use speed boosts. But TAKE THIS EA, I'm just going to grind up Sim Cash for free over a long time and then use THAT to complete the event. I will get that third sim eventually!
    simvasion wrote: »
    It's definitely reflected in the Roommate Rush event where you can unlock a new sim slot for free but there's no way you can complete the 100+ tasks in just 4 days unless you use speed boosts. But TAKE THIS EA, I'm just going to grind up Sim Cash for free over a long time and then use THAT to complete the event. I will get that third sim eventually!

I played since when the game was fairly new. It took me about a month or less to get all four slots open. I feel like it's way harder to get sim cash now compare to back then. I started playing the game a little lately and haven't gotten a sim cash once.
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    Tried it for two days, realised how slow it would be unless I "bought" extra energy, decided I didn't need that sort of blackmail. Uninstalled. Back to Sims 3, for all it's faults and failings.
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    Tried it for two days, realised how slow it would be unless I "bought" extra energy, decided I didn't need that sort of blackmail. Uninstalled. Back to Sims 3, for all it's faults and failings.

It's definitely a good mobile game to play when you're bored or waiting for something, but is not meant to have your undivided attention like the desktop version.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • Emmanuella_123Emmanuella_123 Posts: 1 New Member
    This game is very fun to play in the beginning, when you are unlocking 🔑new hobbies,traits etc however it gets a little boring when you have unlocked almost all of it...there needs to be a change and an introduction of new inventions such as events every week, new hobbies and others also I will suggest that we are able to own pets, able to buy food from supermarket, able to sell what we don't need for extra profit, own restaurant, build pools and many more...it is very unfair how sims 4 and sims freeplay have way better things than sims mobile does...moreover most of the things the sell are way too expensive and unfair for those who can not afford.
  • d0ll_v0m1td0ll_v0m1t Posts: 23 Member
    It's a fun game but yea, things are really expensive, trust me, im pretty sure im on gen5 or somthing idk i dont wanna download the next update
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited October 2021
    Mareah wrote: »
    I can't say it's fun, but it's good to kill some time while waiting for actions to complete in Freeplay.
    Wow!! I thought freeplay and TSM were the same game, they are not?! Wow lol!

Oh no. They are NOT the same. The gameplay is totally different, even though both are based on real time. This post will be about FreePlay since this is the game I play more. I have been playing for 8 years (since 2013). I have now tried, and deleted, Sims Mobile off my phone at least twice. I just do not enjoy it at all.

In FreePlay, once you complete the Life Dreams and Legacies quest, you are done with mandatory quests. There are Discovery and Feature quests that pop up when you reach certain levels. There are no friendship or other stories. Relationships are unlocked with a quest. Hobbies, jobs, buildings are unlocked with certain buildings and areas on the town map. You can have more than 4 playable Sims. You can have up to 37 at the highest level which is 55. You can get more than 37, but you have to buy them, or earn them through VIP perks, the new Sim Springs town map and SimDex progression feature. I paid for the extra Sim when it was offered in the online store. I now have 43 Sims in my game thanks to the VIP perks system from buying packs/items in the game. More details about the store in my next paragraph.

There is an online store where you can get packs of Lifestyle Points, Social Points, and Simoleons but those are actually easy to earn in the game itself. You can also buy different items in the store like clothes, hairstyles (you get multiple colors in one pack instead of paying for each color separately), furniture, etc. They run specials for a month where you can get Lifestyle and Social Points for an entire month with a special offer. I happily pay for hair, clothing items, furniture, Social Points and Lifestyle Points in this game because I thoroughly enjoy this one much more than Sims Mobile.

Customization of Sims is more limited in FreePlay but that doesn't bother me. You get to choose their hair, hats, tops, pants/skirts, shoes, stockings, facial hair, etc based on whether the Sim is male or female. Pajamas, athletic wear, outfits, etc are unlocked during special events and quests in the game.

Updates are released every 6-8 weeks in FreePlay and contain different events that are fun and offer prizes and house lots when you finish in the time limit. The events themselves are fun and actually able to be finished in the time limit if you play correctly.

I am sure there is more I am missing in this post. But, in my opinion, The Sims FreePlay is a much better game if you are looking for a mobile Sims experience. I started when I got my first iPad mini and have played on at least 15 different Android and iOS mobile devices since 2013.
    Post edited by EricasFreePlay on
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited April 2022
    I've only spent money on this game once, and that was back in like the first year it was available so it wasn't as insanely overpriced as it is now back then. There was a Day of the Dead bundle that had an amount of simcash (i can't remember how much but the price of the whole bundle was the price of what just that amount of simcash was, i think it was around $10) and it included a decent amount of CAS and BB items (it had about the same amount of items as the Day of the Dead base game update Sims 4 had). I needed some simcash to unlock the 3rd and 4th household member slots, and Día de los Muertos is a holiday that my husband and I celebrate together so I would use the items I was getting in the bundle too. I thought it was a decent price compared to other bundles they had, I loved the items, and it gave me more than enough simcash to be able to unlock the full household so I got it! :)

Aside from that one single purchase, I have not spent any more money on this app at all. If I fail to complete quests because I don't have enough energy then I don't mind. I never ever touch the Sweet Treats Showdown or any of the events released after 2018 (all the events nowadays require you to use some simcash just to complete on time or access all the rewards). I do like Sims Mobile as an app game, but if I'm ever disappointed for not being able to do something, I can just do it in my PC Sims 4 instead so I'm not too tempted. Sims Mobile is something I play while I'm waiting for a doctor appointment or taking a dump. I don't take it too seriously. My main game is Sims 4. :*
  • AnicethAniceth Posts: 2 New Member
    I do I pay 5 dls when I need Sim cash. Other than that I paid I think 15 dls once when I got a tree that gave me money
  • Bianc51Bianc51 Posts: 19 Member
    I do play the Sims Mobile quite often. When I was expanding my lot, that was the only time I purchased anything from the store. I try to send Sims to work or complete challenges for cash/coins/tickets to avoid using real money. lol
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I don't pay for a thing. The energy systems in games are there to make you want to pay, imo, so I never do. I'll watch ads, but that's it.