Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Decades Challenge

Comments

• MaudieMaudie Posts: 1 New Member
    i was thinking for 2020 we could do a thing where you cant leave your house and people have to quit their jobs and earn money by reistering with minestry of labour
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Maudie wrote: »
    i was thinking for 2020 we could do a thing where you cant leave your house and people have to quit their jobs and earn money by reistering with minestry of labour

At least for half the year, yeah. :)
    Or you get to cheat a certain amount of money into household funds every week, to simulate "unemployment," or something like that.
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    edited May 2020
    What are the rules/restrictions about clothing for this? It sounds like an odd question, but stuff like high heels and mini-skirts would only come into play in the 1950s and 60s, so do I just use my own sense of what would have been worn at the time or what?
    banner.png
  • MionaxMionax Posts: 287 Member
    edited May 2020
    What are the rules/restrictions about clothing for this? It sounds like an odd question, but stuff like high heels and mini-skirts would only come into play in the 1950s and 60s, so do I just use my own sense of what would have been worn at the time or what?

Do your best. :) I like your signature.
    "To all simmers out there in today's troubled world, keep safe and keep on simming.
    Great, I sound like an inspirational poster now. There's worse things."
    Origin ID:Mionax
    Origin #: madebymionax
  • CuteCoffeeGalCuteCoffeeGal Posts: 256 Member

Yes, just try to see what makes sense. I usually Google images for each decade to see if I can get a general idea on how to dress them!
    #EAGameChanger on YouTube: Let's Plays, CAS, Speed Builds - I'm currently playing the Decades Challenge! https://www.youtube.com/c/CuteCoffeeGal
    Gallery ID: CuteCoffeeGal
    Twitter: @CuriousLindsey
  • RasberriRasberri Posts: 4 New Member
    hehe for the 2020's what if we have to stay indoors for like 2 weeks
  • JadisJadis Posts: 7 New Member
    This challenge is perfect for me! :)
    The Decades Challenge rules have been updated for Eco Lifestyle! Find the updated rules at: http://bit.ly/DecadesChallengeRules #EAGameChanger

DfpJPNH.png

Let me know if I've missed something. Can't wait to see what everyone does with this pack!
    #EAGameChanger on YouTube: Let's Plays, CAS, Speed Builds - I'm currently playing the Decades Challenge! https://www.youtube.com/c/CuteCoffeeGal
  • MaudraFaraMaudraFara Posts: 2 New Member
    I've just started this challenge, I love legacy playing so this is gonna be a lot of fun.
  • MaudraFaraMaudraFara Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Ashubii said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I've considered doing it again! :D I started the history challenge and am keeping score with that, though, so I'm content to leave my Decades challenge as it is <3 I was more focused on turning it into a story~

I have really enjoyed reading your stories! I'm feeling very inspired now. Thank you!
  • staceymookenziestaceymookenzie Posts: 2 New Member
    I love this challenge! I've made it to 1990 and legit might play again with another family because I loved it so much 😂 I've been thinking about 2020 and think I'm going to use the following rules (based on the UK response to the pandemic), figured I'd post here in case anyone else is interested:

In 2020, a global pandemic forces sims to go into lockdown
    - No vacations
    - Sims may only leave the house for exercise, once a day
    - Sims may not interact with Sims outside their household, except for phone calls, texts, and messaging on the computer
    - Sims must work from home every day if their job allows that option
    - Sims must bake something at least once a day (my little joke at the cliché of baking banana bread in lockdown 😂)
    - Children cannot go to school
    - University students must
    - Facemasks (downloaded CC) must be worn if Sims have an unavoidable reason to interact with those outside their household (e.g. if they're at university and need to attend class so they don't fail the term).

Not sure how long to implement these rules for, I'm gonna just move onto them and use them until I get bored of the Sims so accurately representing my current real life! 😂

Extra suggestions very welcome :)
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member

The miniskirt came into fashion in late 1964, but wasn't widely worn until late '65 and early '66. It went out of fashion during 1973 and came back in mid 1981 and it's been around ever since.

I recommend doing some decade by decade research to see what was around: There are plenty of websites and pictures to get inspiration from. I didn't know much about fashion by decade before playing Sims 4 and to create a variety of Sims I did a lot of research.

For women, a quick rule of thumb with skirts is nothing above the ankle until 1920. Nothing above the knee until 1960. For men, jackets and ties until 1960 for men, until 1950 for teenagers. Hats for outdoor wear until 1960.
  • corona2020corona2020 Posts: 4 New Member
    I love this challenge. One of my favorites that I've tried :)
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I'm going to redo this challenge. I had to delete my save for it to run Eco Lifestyle.
    Just finished making Comtesse Mary van de Laude and the Comte.
  • xAssassinsGirlxxAssassinsGirlx Posts: 1 New Member
    so I love this challenge and I just started it. Im a hugh history nut. I am however going to use wallpaper because it was invented in 1785. lol
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    I started recently too, although after some other rules for not america. This is my first challenge after all and I love the fact, that I can take deeper look into the history. Reading what was happened in the those years and evaluate if it could effect my story or not. It's more fun than I have expected.
    Hey everyone! As I'm preparing to update the rules for the Nifty Knitting, I wanted to get some feedback from other people who play the challenge! I know that Plopsy is modeled after Etsy (founded in 2005), but the idea of people being able to list their things for sale online really started with eBay (founded in 1995). Should Plopsy be allowed in the 1990s or the 2000s? What do you think?

Also, I've had several people on my YouTube channel request that I add 2020 bonus rules for the pandemic, so I was planning to do that and I just saw some suggestions from @staceymookenzie above for those rules! Stacey, most of these are in line with what I was already planning to add, but I didn't want you to think I was copying you, LOL! Are you OK with me adding a 2020 bonus round? (I've got a couple of other things to add in addition to the pandemic.)

Thanks everyone!
    I love this challenge! I've made it to 1990 and legit might play again with another family because I loved it so much 😂 I've been thinking about 2020 and think I'm going to use the following rules (based on the UK response to the pandemic), figured I'd post here in case anyone else is interested:

In 2020, a global pandemic forces sims to go into lockdown
    - No vacations
    - Sims may only leave the house for exercise, once a day
    - Sims may not interact with Sims outside their household, except for phone calls, texts, and messaging on the computer
    - Sims must work from home every day if their job allows that option
    - Sims must bake something at least once a day (my little joke at the cliché of baking banana bread in lockdown 😂)
    - Children cannot go to school
    - University students must
    - Facemasks (downloaded CC) must be worn if Sims have an unavoidable reason to interact with those outside their household (e.g. if they're at university and need to attend class so they don't fail the term).

Not sure how long to implement these rules for, I'm gonna just move onto them and use them until I get bored of the Sims so accurately representing my current real life! 😂

Extra suggestions very welcome :)
  • IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    @CuteCoffeeGal I would say start it in the 90s. I'm actually planning to start the decades challenge when knitting comes out, because I think it's the perfect challenge to get into knitting with. In preparation, I've been doing research, and I even started watching your youtube playthrough. It's been lots of fun so far, and looking forward to watching more! Knitting cannot release fast enough for me!
    Hi o/ I vote for Plopsy for the 1990s. Yes, for the Pandemic bonus rules. Its part of history now.
  • cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    I recently started this challenge and really enjoying it. The first decade was really hard, just got into the 1900's and has become a lot easier with electricity!
    I have mother knitting mostly rugs and socks. Obviously not using plopsy. Queen Victoria was a prolific knitter.
    I'm in the UK so adjusted the holidays accordingly.
    Decided on a full house as families were big back then. Mother has just had her 6th baby, but because of the age freeze through pregnancy I have aged her to adult to make more sense. She's about 4 days behind her husband now.
  • IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    I also recently started this challenge (long story short, but I started it twice), and have posted links to my current blog chapters in this forums post. I've been having a great time with it, and plan to continue updating throughout August before deciding whether I'll continue both attempts at the challenge. :smiley:
  • Lé_Narraratora111Lé_Narraratora111 Posts: 11 New Member
    This is adding to @staceymookenzie 's comment on a bonus round.

2020:

-Teens and children must call a friend or family member every weekday to represent zoom

-If a sim goes outside, spin a dice to see if they get COVID-19 (evens they're good, odds they get the virus)

-If a sim gets the virus spin a dice to see if they die (evens good, odds die)

-Dress as a cop and kill one colored (Black, Asian, Indian, etc.) person (may be outside of played household

-OPTIONIAL, CITY LIVING REQURIED: Have one of your sims join the politician career and get them to start a protest. (You must protest 1-2 times every week)

-OPTIONAL, SEASONS OR ECO LIFESTYLE REQUIRED: Get a bug box or bee box, have everyone in your household try to play with the bees or bugs. If they attack or give you negative relationship, role a dice to see if you die (this represents the killer hornets)

(That's all I can think of for this bonus round, Happy Simming!)
    @Lé_Narraratora111 Welcome to the forums. I doubt the cop suggestion would be welcomed but I do like the idea of Teens and children contacting a friend/family every weekday to represent zoom. I also think the dice roll for if a person contracts the virus is interesting. I'd make the odds a little less than 50/50% for dying though as most seem to be recovering. Thankfully. Perhaps a 1 (or 1 and 2 roll) dies. 2-6 (or 3-6) lives. Happy Simming for you too. Thanks for being so candid with the world events we see today.
    Hi everyone! The Decades Challenge rules have been updated for Snowy Escape! Let me know if you see something that I've missed. You can find the updated rules at: http://bit.ly/DecadesChallengeRules #EAGameChanger

KyeKxyQ.png
  • Chris_McSimsChris_McSims Posts: 120 Member
    Hi, now that we have Snowy Escapes, if we wanna play with a Japanese family, can we go to Mt. Komorebi's festivals, with maybe the exception of the youth festival?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top