Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason I'll be harder on Sims than Paralives.

Comments

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

I'd advertise it as a life simulator, but I'd also advertise things like Animal Crossing as a life simulator and no one runs around chatting with animals irl haha.

I do. Don’t Judge me. B)

[/quote]

Haha well okay technically I do too LOL! ;) But not quite to the AC extent of having each animal have thier own home and me running around giving them gifts so they can decorate those homes hahahaha!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    I thought this thread was supposed to be a discussion on comparing Paralives and Sims, not Sims 4 to previous Sims titles...

For the record, Sims 2 on PSP is the superior Sims title and that's not up for debate.

Just about every discussion eventually turns into a comparison of Sims 4 to previous Sims titles. Lol, sometimes I'll jump back to the original post and scroll through to see how and where it started. 😀
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

Haha well okay technically I do too LOL! ;) But not quite to the AC extent of having each animal have thier own home and me running around giving them gifts so they can decorate those homes hahahaha!

Ha! Well my neighbor is a cat and she's got a nice house. She also sometimes leaves me gifts in my garden. Although I doubt that counts. Also I'm not sure if I want to decorate my house with her gifts... :#
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Ha! Well my neighbor is a cat and she's got a nice house. She also sometimes leaves me gifts in my garden. Although I doubt that counts. Also I'm not sure if I want to decorate my house with her gifts... :#

So Paralives... hehe
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited July 2020
    filipomel wrote: »

For the record, Sims 2 on PSP is the superior Sims title and that's not up for debate.

Finally, a true intellectual.

no-pants-on.png
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    @Renato10 wrote: »
    I'm excited for Paralives and I'll never be hard on them. Frankly, everything that was confirmed and revealed to the public is already way better than anything that came out from The Sims franchise in the past 6 years..

I understand Paralives looks promising, but did you get to test play it yet?
    The reason I'm asking is that with such high level of expectation there is no room for disappointment.
    I do hope it's the game for you if and when it will be released.

If you like the game go play it!
    I don't understand why people who like the game bother so much with the "negative" opinions. You are not the ones in this community who feel unhappy and have to rely on the old games that have literally no attention from the company anymore!
    Are we a threat to The Sims? Why are some players so defensive? Maybe because we have a point and you are affraid of consequences. I can tell the SimCity disaster in 2013 caused some fear in the simming community.

And I have to make it clear that I'm talking about valid opinions! I'm not talk about hating! Hate we can all easly ignore!
    I just wish I could feel integrated in this gaming community again like I was since The Sims 1 to The Sims 3 cycles. It is the franchise I love and still admire the most (of its past obviously) and it is very frustrating to not be able to enjoy being part of this sims experience even when I tried so hard during so many times. 6 years is a lot and as time passes I feel more and more disconnected and less engaged in this community.

Maybe as someone who likes the game, I can explain that last part.

I love the game and love feeling like I am integrated in a gaming community too, like it sounds like you did with sims 1-3. But we want that for Sims 4 too. A place where we can just come and play and chat about the game without others attacking whenever we post about the good things in the game, without anyone coming in to the positive threads saying how horrid it is, how we should like previous versions better, etc. A forum where every day there aren't several new threads asking when we can get rid of the game that we love etc. Constructive criticism is fine, no one minds when it's given, but there's far too much bashing on people that enjoy the game on these forums. So yes, we WANT to just play but we can't, not without being asked to defend our game/opinions/write explanations as to why we prefer it which are then tossed out as being "wrong" etc on a regular basis.

As a Sims 4 fan who probably will never move on to sims 5, or if I do I'll wait a few years til it's on sale really cheap and that only if it looks fantastic, I keep hoping it'll be announced soon so they can open a Sims 5 forum and the Sims 4 players can just play in peace like 1-3 do now.

THe second reason I bother is because I want to make sure my opinion is heard too. If EA sees a thread with everyone asking for some feature, example a colour wheel or attraction system, they might want to implement it into sims 4 and I dont want those type of things in my game, so yes I'll bother posting that I don't want it and why, just in case anyone important is reading it. I post my opinions both what I want and what I don't, just in case. Of course I can't have my own way in the game's creation and don't expect to, but if anyone is looking, I like my opinions ad ideas heard too.

Yes to all of this 😭😭😭😭😭😭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    I'm sorry but EA has corlor wheel.Simple don't use it .By saying we shouldn't have this feature, because I don't want it.Your saying I don't want it so nobody should have it.
    edited July 2020
    I'm sorry but EA has corlor wheel.Simple don't use it .By saying we shouldn't have this feature, because I don't want it.Your saying I don't want it so nobody should have it.

I don’t think that’s their point.
    Folks should be allowed to give their opinion and any given opinion should get a chance to be heard. Whether it’s about wanting something or not wanting something. It’s equally valid.
    The most important thing is how devs would then treat the desires of those simmers and find the best solution to cater to everyone’s needs. An examples would be a selection of options and toggles, so as a player you can pick and choose. ;)

I don’t think that’s their point.
    Folks should be allowed to give their opinion and any given opinion should get a chance to be heard. Whether it’s about wanting something or not wanting something. It’s equally valid.
    The most important thing is how devs would then treat the desires of those simmers and find the best solution to cater to everyone’s needs. An examples would be a selection of options and toggles, so as a player you can pick and choose. ;)

Oh okay , I get it now 😁
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I actually don't like color wheels that much. If the game were to expand styles though, I'd actually prefer a large color grid to choose from instead of a color wheel. There could be one grid for just colors and even one for gradients or a gradient slider. Then, when choosing the mesh item, like a shirt, it would have a selection of texture swatches and designs already (including plain textures), and we could specifically match it with a skirt by just choosing the color. For me, (and this will sound weird to some people,) color wheels are a little overwhelming with the choices and sometimes it's hard to get that precise match. In a way, it's too much additional work in CAS because I always take a long time to create the Sim's features already and I just want to be able to choose their clothing as quickly and easily as possible.

In truth, I actually really like Sims 4's swatches most of the time, particularly since they started adding more straight up black and white. They should always have primary color options and black, white, and gray, in my opinion.
    #Team Occult
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited July 2020
    Interesting thread to follow. It's actually been really nice to see it not devolve into personal insults.
    I just think there will be no way that we can all agree on anything being necessary. Like I'm not a color wheel type either.. usually too many options and I find them confusing... like adding in the rgb to get other things to match. I want to be in and out of CAS and build buy and into game quickly... also I worry about this making it harder to load and run. An option would be great, though. The grid idea sounds better to me personally also that @LiELF mentioned.
    I also have no interest in an open world unless there are built in very easy to use abilities to teleport also. I didn't like Sims 3 and open world was part of it. I usually say it felt oppressive to me somehow but I think a combination of things did that. Better personalities in Sims 4 sure, but not at the risk of them taking over the story I was telling with my sims... so again some folks better personalities definitely won't match with my ideas for them.
    Point is we can all agree to disagree. The Sims has gone on for so many iterations now that there are some major changes between. Some don't like the changes and some do. Sims 4 is my favorite so far.. I wasn't manipulated into it or hoodwinked, or just don't have higher standards than others. I actually really enjoy the story telling capabilities and control the game has given me.. along with many other things.
    As for Paralives... yeah I'll be excited when they announce the release and will be on board to try it but I don't need to talk it down or lift it up. I've got a game I enjoy. What bothers me is many that keep promoting it on the forums just seem to put it in spiteful terms and it's a turn off and divisive.. it's not helpful at all. Basically it seems want EA and or the Sims to crash and burn ... like that's gonna happen over an indie game? It creates more of a divide and probably distaste from those that might be willing to give it a go but also still enjoy the game. It's also I don't believe it's helpful to the developers there... added pressure they don't need. I hope that the game is great though and one more thing I can play.
    egTcBMc.png
    @Hermitgirl if you have an idea for a Sim then give them the corresponding personality and they will act accordingly. It's how better personalities are supposed to work so sims don't feel like puppets and are also not completely out of control as well.
    Unless you are going for really restrictive gameplay then I understand not wanting them to act out but you could always turn off free will for that.
    edited July 2020
    I do give them the personalities I want now @SimmerGeorge and I'm hoping for additions to the game in the future for better personalities. Problem is we are not all going to agree with how "act accordingly" looks. Is it comically stereotypical... slap someone for cheating and hold a grudge forever? Is it subdued and thoughtful? Is it trait based? What traits would need to be added to have more subdued reactions if you want that? It's just complicated and if it ever happens I'm sure some people will love the changes and some will hate them. I just hope I don't hate the way it's implemented is all.
    I'm also never going to play with autonomy fully off... that doesn't seem fun to me at all. I do turn autonomy off on my current played sim only and that so they do what I say. The rest need to take care of themselves and be engaged and (hopefully) act according to their traits and needs.
    I'm kind of confused though. Are you talking about a better personalities mod by mentioning how something is suppose to work or do you already know how it's suppose to work? ... and will you allow that I might not agree with what you see as better? (Although I might agree with it too... )
    egTcBMc.png
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    I thank all of you for this good conversation. I think we as a community need to understand more both sides. Sometimes social networks can be interpreted in a bad way that everything kinda seems like a personal attack but in reality it really isn't.

And yes! Personalities, life stages (for me in TS4 only todllers, young adults and adults are fine) and also unpredictability are three of the many problems I have with TS4. I honestly think that is possible and there is potential to improve the game on this topics. I know it will make a lot of people happy, me included.

Although there's a part of my issues that will never be fixed and I know that is something that will never be changed because it's impossible.
    My biggest problem with The Sims 4 is the world system. Oh my! I hate the world system! Hate seems like a strong word but I really despise the way they choosed to make the worlds this time around!
    It is literally The Sims 1 world system on steroids (with a poor little TS3 open world flavour attached to it) and as much I love The Sims 1 that was a feature I was glad that it was in the past!
    A lot of people will say how cool is to travel from one world to another and thats kinda true but at the same time not... I mean... Imagine if it wasn't? GOD, HELL NO! And its really bad seing the same npc characters in every world. Its not funny being neighbor of Bella Goth in Willow Creek and then find her while I'm in Sulani escaping my home for a while and then going to a food stall wich is running by Don Lothario that lives in Oasis Springs... I HATE THAT!

It's not even also for not being a totally open world like The Sims 3 (wich is my favourite world system by far despite some problems) I would have been totally fine with something like The Sims 2! I missed going crazy with editing worlds and not just lots like in The Sims 1 and The Sims 4. I missed the 3d world maps that were so engaging and cool. How giant we could turn, how we could create our own worlds. The Sims 4 has a gret building tool (I admit that) but its frustrating that I find restrictive to creativity when it comes to build and maybe thats personal but I will not use for example, plants or rocks from Oasis Springs in Newcrest or Willow Creek because for me it doesn't fit there! I find that problem to be way more frequent in The Sims 4 and thats because of the surroundings that look so fake! At least in The Sims 1 everything was grey off lot xD

If I could chose one way to do it forever of course I would chose open world!
    I think The Sims 3 is honestly the closest thing of a game that includes both The Sims and a bit of SimCity together in the same experience.

And thats the main reason why I am looking for Paralives. Im not creating expectations but I know I will have a totally new experience of an open world in a life simulation game. That alone makes me happy and excited!

I agree wit a lot of this but I want to touch on the part in bold. I really do think some people are confusing genuine excitement, hope and curiosity over Paralives and disappointment, frustration and anger with Sims 4 as people having high expectations of Paralives.

Now there are people so angry with what The Sims 4 has become and what they view as a lack of depth, gameplay, personalities, etc. whatever their issue may be and they say stuff like 'this game is going to destroy Sims 4' because they're angry with The Sims 4. I don't look at people blowing off steam as anything but that. But people genuinely interested in it I think don't expect anything from them but what they say and show they plan to offer. Even if plans do change, as long as they talk to their potential players and explain I don't see much of a problem.

I couldn't think of nor had I seen, until I went searching through the discord for a bit, an instance where anyone said they expected anything other than Paralives, whatever it will be, and even those comments were few and far between. Most of the excitement is based off what we've seen and been told so far and that's the reason it's more appealing and the reason people see it as a competition even though they're not trying to be competition. It's not like the enthusiasm for Paralives is based off features we made up in our minds. But maybe it's just hard to understand why there would be excitement for Paralives?

I notice whenever there's a comment section for something on Paralives, especially when it's something about what people are suggesting or asking the team, there are people saying people's expectations are too high, it's indie, the team is small, not everything players are going to want will be added, and it'll take years... as if that's not already known and understood by the people interested in this game and following it. It seems very well understood and what stuns people about what they've seen so far from what I can tell. Regardless of the team being small, not having EA sized wallets and that the game could not be out for three years or more, people are still excited. They're of course making suggestions and throwing out ideas but that doesn't mean those ideas and suggestions are expected. Hopes high for this game to come out and be good and there's excitement for a new game to experience but expectations seem pretty reasonable to me.

Now that I think about it I think the reason the line between expectations for Paralives and hopes for Paralives are blurred is probably because of what we're used to in The Sims community. They're on the fourth game and a lot of stuff is missing to some people even after six years, some players are always on their case about it and people don't want that type of pressure on the Paralives team which is understandable. The key difference between The Sims 4 and Paralives though is that it'll be the first Paralives, not the second to fifth game of it's name. No one is looking for it to be The Sims because we have The Sims already. Heck, that's the reason some people are looking at Paralives, because they're tired of The Sims 4 and want something new or to play alongside it. There aren't any staples of the game yet, we're not used to a certain pattern or behavior from them, there's no innovative thing they did in their previous games before that don't make the cut now to get confused or upset about because they're new. There's really nothing to expect but the game itself and people, myself included, are just happy and/or intrigued by what we've see so far. Just because people are excited and asking questions or even hoping to have certain things doesn't mean expectations are high.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
    I'm not trying to be too much a Debbie downer. But I'm frustrated with sims 4.Lot of the problems that we have.Was because it was meant to be an online game.But they changed it two years in.About prices I do admit that is a factor as well.But if pralives is forty dollars , and gets all the features they promise.Still having good personalities.I say it worth it.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I think that is reasonable. I think it will be healthy for the Sims franchise to have competition again. I have been enjoying Animal Crossing which I would say is a competitor for the Sims as well especially with the console market.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I do give them the personalities I want now @SimmerGeorge and I'm hoping for additions to the game in the future for better personalities. Problem is we are not all going to agree with how "act accordingly" looks. Is it comically stereotypical... slap someone for cheating and hold a grudge forever? Is it subdued and thoughtful? Is it trait based? What traits would need to be added to have more subdued reactions if you want that? It's just complicated and if it ever happens I'm sure some people will love the changes and some will hate them. I just hope I don't hate the way it's implemented is all.
    I'm also never going to play with autonomy fully off... that doesn't seem fun to me at all. I do turn autonomy off on my current played sim only and that so they do what I say. The rest need to take care of themselves and be engaged and (hopefully) act according to their traits and needs.
    I'm kind of confused though. Are you talking about a better personalities mod by mentioning how something is suppose to work or do you already know how it's suppose to work? ... and will you allow that I might not agree with what you see as better? (Although I might agree with it too... )

I think it's unfair if you don't want to play with autonomy fully off but you also don't want your sims to do stuff you might not agree with. If you are a player who doesn't want their sims to act out on their own in a way you don't agree with then play with autonomy off. Leave the option to have autonomy on for people who like deeper personalities so that we both get what we want.
    The Sims 4 currently has no options for deep personalities and I think it's unfair to not add them because people want to play out their stories very strictly. This is what the autonomy off option is for. Let the rest of us have the deep personalities.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I think that is reasonable. I think it will be healthy for the Sims franchise to have competition again. I have been enjoying Animal Crossing which I would say is a competitor for the Sims as well especially with the console market.

Oh yes the game is innovative and so much fun. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    I didn't say I didn't want deeper personalities added @simmergeorge. I only said I'm afraid of how they will be implemented if it ever comes to pass. If it's done very thoughtfully then I'll be all for it. I just don't want reactions that don't make sense.
    egTcBMc.png
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    the first male para got a video today
    6adMCGP.gif
  • LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    Sebastián jumped off the counter so smooth while a TS4 sim could never.

I’m going to say it here:
    Paralives will be the true sequel to TS2 that we all deserved and never got.

Don’t mean to dig at TS3, it’s just performance issues, predatory monetization and sloppy coding really brought the game down.
    MadameLee wrote: »
    the first male para got a video today

I’m not gone on the Parafolks as they are at the moment, but I like the UI.
    It’s also nice to see a male getting some body hair options in BG. I’ll keep an eye out regarding their personalities and how they interact with each other.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Seeing the smooth movement of the male parafolk jumping off the counter I cant wait to see them in action. All this customization already for the male parafolk here we are almost 6 years in and no body hair in Sims 4 but then again rarely do we get any male specific content in Sims 4. Just watch Paralives will have multi parafolk sport activity while the best Sims 4 can do is a few single Sim animations with a soccer ball or wait your turn basketball.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    I still don't get how a small team like that can pull that off. Really Sebastian too me is almost too good to be true and the graphics in his house look almost as good quality as Sims 4 graphics.
    The skin on the parafolk still looks kind of flat but have you seen pre-alpha Sims? They also looked weird. I'm sure they're going to modify a few things.
    edited July 2020
    The skin on the parafolk still looks kind of flat but have you seen pre-alpha Sims? They also looked weird. I'm sure they're going to modify a few things.

I can be a true pain in the backside when it comes to reviewing and criticizing aesthetics. Nobody ever likes me for that. :#
    The environment and shading/lighting looks wonderful though. I also understand many people are already in love with the look of the parafolk, although I can see their potential of looking even better.
    I would be surprised if they didn’t get modified. By giving them a few tweaks here and there, these characters will look truly awesome. It’s only my opinion though. And I think the guys and gals at Paralives are doing a great job so far.