Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you prefer open world or open lots?

Comments

• ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 367 Member
    In between (please explain)
    I voted in between
    What I would like to see is large lots already have commercial and residential buildings on them but also empty so that you can build your own venue or house or even create your own destination world
    Would also love to be able to create our own worlds once again and can have sims no matter what neighbourhood they live be able to visit move in like we do in TS4
    The only time you have loading screens is when you live one world/neighbourhood to travel to another either by choosing travel on phone or when you click on manage worlds to go to a destination spot or neighbourhood/ world
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Open Neighborhood. 4-5 Lots all active, with Sims going through their daily routine. But NPCs would have to be smarter for this. (Or at least seem smarter by routine)
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Plankton027Plankton027 Posts: 51 Member
    Why cant you have both?
    With updated hardware it should be possible so I would like the best of both.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Open lots
    I like the open lots in Sims 2. I visit them all the time. I do not mind loading screens. I did enjoy some of the open worlds but I did not play Sims 3 that much.
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    Open lots
    open lots
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    Open lots
    I prefer open lots. The ones in Sims 1 and 2 were really fun,and I would love to see that in Sims 5.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited June 2020
    Open world
    Modern computers are a lot better than they were in 2009, so if EA can't make a future Sims game run well with open world, then they're either being lazy or they don't know how to code.

There's no reason why a game made in 2020 or later can't be open world AND open lots.

Also, Sims 3 does have open restaurants, movie theaters, etc. You just have to buy it as separate DLC from the Sims 3 store.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited June 2020
    To keep the system running smoothly and not to sacrifice graphics, in any future iteration of this franchise I would like to see a combination of TS3 and TS4 open world mechanics:
    • In TS4 The ability to travel to and live in different worlds within the same save file, is a great feature in my opinion. However, I do not like npc’s from other worlds to spawn in a place they don’t belong. It breaks the immersion. Go back home Judith Ward.
    • Each world has a neighbourhood or district. These districts should be opened up entirely whenever your sim is there, so you’re able to visit neighbors or community lots within that district without having to suffer through any loading screens. These should include swimmable bodies of water, such as oceans, rivers, lakes. The district doesn’t have to be big, just open.
    • A Loading screen when traveling to another district or world is entirely acceptable to avoid system overload and to keep it running nicely.

Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Open world
    Open World. I have always said that. I see no point in just open lots
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Open lots
    I would like to retract my answer, we need to have both, there is no reason to have only open world or only open lots in 2020.

TwistedMexi showed in a recent tweet how traveling between lots work in the sims4, the game does not even keep the assets even if you travel to a lot in the same neighborhood, it removes everything and places it back again.

• Cassieb95Cassieb95 Posts: 347 Member
    Why not both? :D
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Open world
    Open world systems can also do open lots. If you have open lots only, that shuts out a section of simmers who play open world.

So why not have an open world system that allows for everyone to play it?

• BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    Open world
    (I voted before thinking - I really want both) By the end of The Sims 3 we had open restaurants and the like. The rabbitholes in The Sims 3 were a developer's choice, not a necessity, unlike a lot of people think/thought.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    Open lots are obviously so much better than closed ones, but on the other hand, i really dont like closed worlds with loading screens. Semi open ones like in sims 4 are better than a fully closed world, at least.

It is true that sims 3 starts with some buildings being mainly rabbit holes like the resturants and theaters, but you could buy them later from the store as open venues. Now whether some of them should have been in the base game, have more depth, or have a different price, is another topic. Anyway, yeah i can never want most of the lots to be rabbit holes. btw, sims 3 does have professions where you can follow and play your sims during their job, a little similar to gtw.

In my opinion, sims 3 did the concept of open world quite alright, if you keep in mind that you can in fact turn a number of the closed lots open and add many open venues. My only issue is that you cant travel to non vacation worlds without mods, which is a really big bummer. I would vote for open world if it meant the ones like in sims 3, but i think what you mean by open world here is something that has very little open lots/careers so now i am not sure what to vote lol.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    Open districts should be an option.

For real when they said they were ditching the open-world from the Sims 3 I was happy because at the same time they said that they were going to seperate the worlds in districts. I was so excited because I assumed those would be open-districts with actual gameplay between neighbours and interaction between houses and lots in the same district.

Little did I know...
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Randie_ReignsRandie_Reigns Posts: 59 Member
    I definitely want an open world but I would like it on a smaller scale than Sims 3. I would love to see the neighborhoods of sims 4 redone like sims 3 map. I hate the cartoon map and I absolutely despise the "decorative" homes. I want every lot and every home playable and customizable. The more I can build freely on the map the better.
    I don't care how they do it as long as I don't have to sit through a loading screen to visit my next door neighbor. I enjoy moving around town freely in 3.
    I miss cars.
    I'm the type of player that likes to create my entire town. I only build in 4 because gameplay is horrible. The building in 4 is awesome but I would like the cheat that allowed me to create garages and split levels to return. I also hate roofs in 4. I would like to add the roof over a room without it making the space unusable. I'd like to create a true attic bedroom. I also miss how the roofs in 2 worked. It was so funny when I edited my home and didn't realize I forgot to enlarge the roof until rain or snow fell inside 😂. Auto roofs took a way that fun surprise.
    I have a long list of features from all games that I would love to see blended into one but this topic is about the map. There's no reason why a comprise between 3 and 4 couldn't be reached. There are too many open world games out there and let's face most PC gamers have high end computers to play on. Most others play on console. PC gamer should have more options in games. We pay a lot more for our systems.
    It would be cool if we could choose connect the neighborhoods to each other where we want them. Similar to how I connected homes in yoworld. How awesome would it be to watch our Sims back out of the drive way and drive to the end of town and then go into a loading screen to go to another neighborhood? And I don't want areas that are not on the map. I want to choose where my university and hospital is. I want to decide where my alien planet is and what it looks like. I want to make the schools Ect. I also want to create apartments. I absolutely hate man shuynu. I never play that map. It should be a lot type. If we want 5 floors of apartments that we share with NPC families we should be able to. If also love it we could set lots for 2 or 3 different types so we could build malls Ect. Anyway I'm rambling. I would love to see a real leap in the next sims game. If done right the game could really be the last sims well ever want and content coulf be made for it forever. I don't want another game that feels incomplete and rushed. I stopped buying dlc for 4 a year ago. I won't spend money on the next if it's not out of this world amazing. And all players who where extremely disappointed by 4 should do the same. We pay too much for for too little in these packs. And don't say it costs. There are lots of ppl making content for this game with free programs. If modders can do it the designers should be able to do it and do it better.
  • bees123bees123 Posts: 12 New Member
    I'm in-between, because in a software perspective, having Sims games being open world would lead to the same bugs we had in 3, especially without the Nraas mods. Some form of seamless loading tactic could work though, like GTAV's zoom-out thing. Who knows, maybe there'll be completely seamless loading methods in the future, without those fakeout shuffle-through-a-small-corridor things
  • ButteredToastButteredToast Posts: 47 Member
    I voted for "in between" because I think that what Sims 4 is. It has open lots like Sims 2 but also open neighbourhood where your sims can jog/walk their dogs. So to me, it is in between Sims 2 (open lot only, no neighbourhood) and Sims 3 (closed lots but open world).
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited July 2020
    I really hated how in ts3 everything was rabbithole
    so I really don't want open world minus open lots
    definitely out of 2 I prefer open lots by far

but I also think the real good is somewhere in between

like level open neighborhood
    so you can do stuff off lot and interact with neighbors
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Given the fact there are at any given time 100 or more Sims going about there lives. So there must be a balance between open world and open lots such as retail and other commercial lots without crashing the game. Plus not many folks can afford a serious gaming PC. Do we really want the Sims for the rich and throw hardworking players under the bus.
  • Susim62Susim62 Posts: 225 Member
    Open lots
    I'm a rotational player, and open world doesn't work for this style of play.
    Also, we wouldn't be able to travel between worlds the way we do now.
    Contrary to popular opinion, if Sims 5 is open world I'm out.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Quite simply I want both. I love the open worlds of TS3 and like to send my sims out to explore them but I find the rabbit holes rather limiting. Perhaps at the time of development of TS3 there had to be a trade off for the open worlds so the result were the rabbit holes. Now the technology has advanced so much it should surely be possible to have both open worlds and lots in TS5.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    edited July 2020
    If open world can be done without making my game laggy, then I'd like that, but I'm not sure how possible that is. I feel like it being in between (being able to view the entire map but have a loading screen to enter buildings) would be the best way to go.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I'd like open neighbourhoods, with each neighbourhood having 6-12 lots.
    It wouldn't create the lag that the open worlds of ts3 were known to cause.
    It's what ts4 should have had. It's frustrating having a neighbourhood to roam around, but being unable to have your sims on two or three different lots within the neighbourhood at once.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Open world
    I don't think the OP description is a fair assessment (same for many replies).
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!