Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    My game has not been affected
    Screenshot-51.jpg
    I think I might have been wrong, logging back in and looking, he does look a bit better.
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    @ZeeGee My settings were not reset, no. The only time my game looks good is if I'm using my HQ version of my GraphicsRule. :/ Which makes me think it has something to do with how the texture sizes are being rendered, but I know virtually nothing about that kind of thing so bleh.

I have an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060, so I highly doubt my gpu has anything to do with the pixel vomit. Obviously, I can't use my HQ GraphicsRule for regular gameplay, but at least I know if I specifically want to take pictures and make sims, I can just put in my HQ one and it'll look nice. :neutral:

For comparison, here's post 2004 update, no HQ:
    u3gPYCP.png

And post 2004 update, HQ:
    hnI5zCm.png
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @Emily4331 Just wondered if it was Nvidia, someone mentioned that. I'm impressed with those settings. Is that Misty's HQ mod? I have that one but don't remember trying it. Why can't you use it for regular game play? Does it make the game lag?
    edited July 2020
    Screenshot-62.jpg
    It def makes my sim's cars look different for sure.I have my settings set to medium as I'm playing a large world.
    @ZeeGee It's an HQ version I edited myself. There's really only two numbers that need to be changed. By default you'll see this under the Sim Quality section:
    setting $VeryHigh
    	    prop $ConfigGroup RenderSimLODDistances "25, 50, 100, 1000"
    	    prop $ConfigGroup RenderSimTextureSizes "2048, 2048, 512, 128"

I just increase the first two numbers after RenderSimTextureSizes by 1.25x, so my HQ one is:
    setting $VeryHigh
    	    prop $ConfigGroup RenderSimLODDistances "25, 50, 100, 1000"
    	    prop $ConfigGroup RenderSimTextureSizes "2560, 2560, 512, 128"

As for why this isn't good for normal gameplay: Especially if you're like me and have a lot of CC it can cause memory spikes that crash the game or will Error 12 while saving a lot. Error 12 being that the game would have to use too much memory to save (hence why Error 12s are so common in large worlds and large saves). The Sims 3 is a 32-bit program, so it can only allocate a little under 4 GBs of RAM, no matter how much RAM you have on your computer. So you have CC and high resolution textures that are using a lot of memory, and even if it spikes over the limit for a millisecond, the game will crash because it is incapable of allocating the memory it needs in that moment.
    edited July 2020
    @Emily4331 Thanks so much for the explanation. You really are a good teacher! You put that in terms I understood. I'm going to try out your HQ settings just to see how it looks and make my sims normal again if only just for a little while. :heart:

@GraceyManor I've never played medium so not sure what it should look like. Does the car look better or worse?
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    edited July 2020
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me
    @ZeeGee Wow! Many of those areas do look A LOT better! :star: Thank you for sharing pictures. :blush:

@GraceyManor I have the same exact graphics card as you do. :)
    The car there looks super shiny. :star:

@Emily4331 Oh my. :open_mouth: Her chest looks awful pixelated there and that's POST 2004 update? I don't mean to cause you to feel bad by saying this, but that's the worst I've seen from these updates. :( I'm so so sorry. :cry: Windows 10 updates royally su'ck! Thank goodness for your fab GraphicsRule.
    Is there still time for you to revert back to the previous feature update? Did it look a little better then?
    <3
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    My default replacment skin does not look bad but when i started a new game today the townies were not wearing the replacment skin yet and the original looked so bad with pixelated areas on their necks that had a whole other color than the rest of their skins. I might notice it in other items/clothes if i paid more attention.
    dqvfmtC.jpg
    @ZeeGee A good teacher? You should see how often I delete comments and retype them because I babbled on nothing when they could've been so much simpler. :lol:

@emorrill It's the same severity before the update. It's specifically these higher res skins I use that look the most like this. The rest are okay ish. But it's still a bummer because this is my favorite skin for female sims. :( So much so that I made multiple color ramps for it so it'd have a wider skintone range. :lol: Ah well. As you said, at least I have my HQ GraphicsRule.
    @emorrill Right? That was my laptop. I've put my desktop back on the internet and updated everything. When I went off the internet in January it was fixing to force me to 1909 from 1903. Now it updated to 1903 and just stayed there. It is offering the 2004 feature update but seeing Emily's pic made me a little scared. Not sure. Right now the desktop game looks about the same as it did before I updated.

@Mareah Oh my that looks pretty bad. Are you on the Windows update 1909? That one was the worst I've seen.

@Emily4331 You ARE a good teacher. You walked us right through that eye contacts tutorial too!
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @emorrill Right? That was my laptop. I've put my desktop back on the internet and updated everything. When I went off the internet in January it was fixing to force me to 1909 from 1903. Now it updated to 1903 and just stayed there. It is offering the 2004 feature update but seeing Emily's pic made me a little scared. Not sure. Right now the desktop game looks about the same as it did before I updated.

@ZeeGee ^Won't lie, I'm still a little scared (feeling reserved) as well. :lol: Keep me posted on how everything looks when you do update it to 2004. :kissing_heart:

@Emily4331 Bummer that it's always our favorite cc that seems to get negatively affected by updates, patches, etc.

@Mareah Wow! :open_mouth: I'm curious what feature update you're computer is at as well.
    It is 1903 apparently! Should i update or does it get worse? It is not too bad currently, only more noticable on some clothes and the default skin.
    edited July 2020
    @Emily4331
    I think it looks shinier.

Screenshot-15.jpg
    Cars before.

Screenshot-62.jpg
    Cars after

The sky looks different to.
    @GraceyManor I'll have to check it later without HQ. My computer actually had me restart again last night for something related to the 2004 update, so maybe that'll do something. Fingers crossed. :sweat_smile:
    Mareah wrote: »
    It is 1903 apparently! Should i update or does it get worse? It is not too bad currently, only more noticable on some clothes and the default skin.

@Mareah I'm on 1903 and I've never noticed that! Then again, I've been using default skins for forever now.
    I'm tempted to take the mod out and see if sim skin looks that bad in my game... :neutral: Curious.

I wouldn't update to 1909 as it's made the game look worse. 2004 seems promising, but some people are still having issues...

It's so hard to know anymore! :weary:
    I have some good news! As I told GManor earlier, my computer installed more updates regarding the 2004 update, so I restarted my computer to fully install them and...

My game looks pretty much the same as before all of this started! Even without my HQ GraphicsRule! :smiley:

The same skin used on the sim above is used here, too. So for reference here's before:
    u3gPYCP.png

Here's after:
    0IDX56T.png
    @Emily4331 Wonderful! :smiley: That's great to hear and see!
    @Emily4331 That is awesome! Ok, I'm going in. My laptop is on 2004 and it looks great. So I'm going to update now. Thanks for the pic evidence
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Other. Please explain in comments.
    @Emily4331

Looking at your sims pics there and I fondly remember the days when all I needed to do to make sim look good would be decent CC skin/hair and makeup. My issue is that my worlds and objects look fine its the sims themselves that have permanent lines around their face and bodies with clothes/tattoos and jewelry that saturate into the skin. Lately when I have been trying things out sims can stretch (like a child when using and adult action) and their hair and heads move out of shape by scrolling in and out. Lots of players have tried to help me but everything I have tried has failed for the last several months maybe over a year now so my game is unpalaybe to me through Origin because I simply cannot stand to look at sims anymore.. I would almost do anything to find a permanent fix lol

@SPARKY1922 I don't know if I'd be any help, but if you want you can send me pics of your game showing the problems you're experiencing and let me know everything you remember trying that didn't work and I can try to help.
    I updated to 2004. Don't notice much difference but hoping I'll get that 'extra' update that Emily got, which made her game look so much better.

@SPARKY1922 Sorry to hear that. Hope Emily can get you sorted.
    Screenshot-90.jpg
    I actually thinking it helped my game a lot, the cars look nicer and I seem
    to have nicer shadows.
    Hi @Emily4331

It started for me personally after the 1.96 patch and it appears to have got worse with each windows/origin update (I have no idea if it's one or the other or a combination of the 2) The worlds themselves look fine it the sims that have this saturation thing going where skins and usual marking around the eyes/mouth etc look really terrible. The clothes/tattoos bleed into the skins and and the sims themselves have lines down their faces and sometimes their bodies. Lately I have notice a kind of stretching when they are completing normal action such as playing basketball with other sims.

I have used Nvidia inspector to to tweak settings (not Geforce experience as that made things worse) I got my 1070 card found and matched I have played around with textures and tried various in game settings but all to no avail. There is this other thing going on as well with sims where they walk with their arms and hands straight down in a funny way and scrolling in and out the actual skulls/hair can move back and forth as they move their heads. This has been very difficult to take pics of as it is such a quick action when scrolling in and out towards them. I thought this might be my resolution but no they apparently all match up.

this one shows the face line to the right and the marks all around the eyes on the skin

BETDQQT.jpg

This was one of the weird hand animations I managed to take and sims walk around like that too-)

u42bIdW.jpg

this show marks on the face but also top of the shoulders on sims front of body and how tattoos saturate into the skin

xdqnef0.jpg

PPpu2D0.jpg

I have also uninstalled onedrive as a lot of players said they thought that was an issue. I turn off all my background processors as well when I want to play. I have turned Microsoft's gaming mode in windows 10 on/off and that made not difference. I would not consider myself to be a techie but I can follow instructions so if you can help of give me any further insights with this issue I would be forever grateful :)
    Thank you @ZeeGee

what is weird for me reading this thread it appears a lot of the issues for other players are related to objects yet for me my sims got destroyed by something and while I do have a disk game to play on another hard drive on win 7 I would like my digital game back on win 10 as it's just easier..
    I updated and the issue still seems to be present, i rarely play without cc skin so it is not a big issue anyway.

a pic with no cc, you can see it on her arms
    AF70KBs.jpg

and here is after adding cc, issue gone
    8XtdVFh.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top