Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Homes in Literature Build Challenge: *CLOSED*

Comments

• marryacheesecakemarryacheesecake Posts: 39 Member
    @rosemow thank you for the tips & tricks ans also thank you for your time to look over my Greek village and finding some kind words. ♥
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    Hi Everyone -- my other shoulder hurts now, and so does the first, my back and neck.
    So I can’t build or play Sims at all now. I will let you know when I can.

I just wanted to let any of my friends who may not have known yet.

Great builds, everyone! :)
    4kkjdXo.png

• TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    edited July 2020
    Hey all!

My apologies for being dark, for the past couple of months. I've had some PC issues (I lost my main graphics card) and only running on a 10 year old card I had left in the PC, and afraid of killing that, and being left with nothing. In the interim, I have been trying to get work walking, sitting and training dogs. I've attempted to further my culinary skills, but due to some physical issues, I have been finding it harder and harder to stand on my feet for long periods of time, (my right leg is going dead on me if I stand still for more than 20-30 minutes at a time). My wrists and hands are still a major issue, and I can only build/decor for about the same amount of time, in a stretch, so that left me a little Meh and due to that, I took a Sim Hiatus. I have applied for disability, and I am working on dog raining certification. I've been walking a good 2 miles a day and trying to get myself in a better place. We will see how that goes. I have several x-rays and consultations scheduled for this week and next, through SSI and I hope they will come through and help me.

In the meantime, I have had the chance to look at all of your amazingly lovely Greek Builds. You all never faill to blow me away, with your creativity and being able to translate my vision.

@Gwiniel - I adore your family! They are perfect! The haircut on the Dad make me laugh, as you picked the perfect haircut for a Greco/Roman time period. The clothing and everything are spot on, in my book. Great find on the Greyhound! I've been reading up on Canid neurology. Did you know that the greyhound can actually see and track a moving object, up to one mile away?? Holy dog eyes Batman! That's rare, and it has to be an object in motion, but that's simply insane. Great work!

Your Home is lovely, s well. I adore all of the color and patterns. The artwork that you were able to make and find really brings it all to life. Great stuff. The whole layout and build is simply beautiful. So much love!

@JojoMOMSTER Beautiful home, as well. I love the Orchard (Dendrókipos). I would guess that Olives would also be a major crop, of the time. =) I love all of the little nooks and crannies of your home. The fountain at the front door, the orchard, all of the statues, the lush greenery...all of it really brings the whole thing to life. I love that you did the room partitions built into the walls. Not only relevant for that culture and time period, but even used so much today in Islamic architecture, in front of windowed areas, not only for aesthetics, but crucial to keep the heat out of the house, for filtering out a lot of the heating rays, but still allowing light to enter the home. Great work with that. Color me impressed. All in all, a wonderful build! Thank you for entering and showing off this beautiful structure.

Nice work in putting those homes together in your game. I love how that all looks. I hope to get a complete map together soon, and then try to figure out how to make it available for those who want it. If you know, please, feel free to take that and run with it. I'd love to view that complete map.

@Aljay At first glace, I love the color of blue to chose to use. It's...perfect. The layout of your home is stunning! I love those exterior stairs and how rooms are simply connected to rooms. Hallways or corridors were not in fashion anywhere, until the late 17th century and having a top down of your floor plan really shows off that you had to work within those confines. As weird as it may be, that really excited me. Great job! The Whole layout and plan of the structure is gorgeous. I'd live there!

@rikaocean Going in a completely different direction on scale, you have made such an adorable little home, for our Greek family. I love all of the elements that you have been able to incorporate on the smaller scale. The greenery, also the interconnecting rooms and even down to some of the cracks in the walls showing age and structural defects. Wonderful job. I don't critique the builds in my Challenges, but if I were to offer a suggestion, I would say to be careful on how much you pull out, on the photos. If you pull back too far in live mode/TAB, you can get a distorted, sort of fish-eye view of things, that makes it hard for these old eyes to look at, and pick out details. Other than that, I love what you have done with your build and I am thrilled that you were aboe to enter this challenge. Thank you!

@AliSim19 Initial impression.. Can I say "Wow"? Just that first picture really took me in, and made me want to see more. The domed roof lines, the fountain, the landscaping work....all just done so well. Even that you labeled the rooms and used a Greek looking font. Show off. LOL I love it. I also love that urn water feature. Well done. The way that you planned out not only the design and decor of the rooms, but placed them for modesty reasons and accessibility and exclaimed that you did so, is amazing. The decor in all of the rooms is stunning. The fire cooking areas are perfect. Really rich Greek Sims have their own bathhouse. Ooohh...fancy! LOL Not sure if you have seen it or not, but, for gameplay, there is a Mod that allows for cleanliness via swimming, so essentially, a bathhouse with a communal bath, would actually work, for those who have that. All in all, simply a stunning build. As always, Thank you for your participation and I thoroughly enjoyed looking through your slideshow.

@chips46 Another big Wow, with the initial views of your home. It's like a great Temple! Love the layers and how it just grows out, at you. The decor is beautiful, with all of the stacked plant life and statues. So very lush, full and full of life. Your 'clutter' looks amazing. Too often with clutter I snap back with an "Ewww...hoarder", but this all looks so livable...warm...able to navigate without breaking a toe. Well done! I love that you incorporated some gym equipment. What good is a young Greek man is he cannot work out 16 hours a day and show off how muscular and tone he is too all of the females in town? Such a vain lot. LOL Wonderful decor. Beautiful colors. Wonderful home. Thank you!

@emere Again, and again and again, I am left with a simple, "Wow." What a lovely first view of your home. The layout, the colors, the landscaping Such great work. So much wonderful detail in all of the rooms. LOVE the steam room/Sauna. Beautiful work on that pool and bar area, as well. The spot you chose is perfect for that home and what you did with it. Great views. Great work on this build. I don't know what else to say. You all just impress me, to no end. Thank you so much for your participation on this build.

@marryacheesecake Yeah. You did a wonderful job on this. The architectural layout is really pretty. The extra buildings are great. Very cool vision. I was really seeking simply a family home, but that you added more and made it kind of a city block, is very cool, and quite ambitious. I really dig the whole Temple and Cemetery, as well, is a really nice touch. Just make sure you have an Ossuary or who knows what will happen to the families bones after they are exhumed. =)

@wendyology I love the look of what you uploaded. It's a very cool design. Did you ever get the chance to finish and decorate? I'd love to see your touch on all of the decor and landscaping, as you always do such a lovely job in that realm, as well. Great looking shell, either way. Thank you for getting something done. I always look forward to seeing your creations, as well.

Wow, what an adventure! You are all so very talented and did such wonderful recreations of the homes I was looking for. I'd love to see these all on a single map and make that map available to those of you who want it. I'll try to figure that out. I see that some of you have done so, at least in part, already. If you know how to extract and make that available and would like to do so, I'd love to see it. I'm limited to Medium graphics right now, on a good day. lol And I can't spend too much time in game without my graphics card getting mad at me.

I'm so glad to see all of these wonderful builds. I love that you all gave me exactly what I expected with the colors, floor plans, rooms ieas, courtyards and more. You should all be proud of the stunning work you have done. I'm sure that even Homer would be proud of the work you did and end up writing epic tales of your architectural splendor.

In the words of Homer, “There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.”, and for now, I must consider sleep. I am planning a new Challenge for this coming month. I will make sure that I get all of the particulars in order as soon as I possibly can and I look forward to all of your wonderful interpretations. Again, thank you all for your wonderful builds and for not only participating in my wacky challenges, but meeting up to and surpassing my ridiculous expectations.

Much love.

Καληνυχτα

Post edited by Taoron on
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    I am so sorry that your health issue have worsening :( I send hugs to you <3 I hope that your upcoming x rays and consultations go as smoothly and as best as possible.
    It is not good that you have been having computer issues :( I hope that you will be able to continue using your computer and perhaps be able to get another graphics card soon.
    I hope you feel better soon @Taoron! Big hugs <3!
    4kkjdXo.png

hi @flowerofavalon87 B)<3! It's great to see you B)<3!
    4kkjdXo.png

The Homes in Literature Build Challenge #5: The Hardy Boys: Franklin W. Dixon

Growing up, as a young man, I spent a fair amount of time, immersing myself in The Hardy Boys Mysteries. I suppose, that was a catalyst, as I grew older, to find myself immersed, even to this day, in Sherlock Holmes and by proxy, enabling the gift (and the curse) of being able to see, what is in plain sight to me, but seemingly hidden, from so many.

Even now, with my love for classic literature, when I go to the used book store, I always grab at least 2 or 3 copies of Hardy Boys Mysteries, to add to my growing collection. But, there is a caveat. I will only purchase the original copies, written in the 1920s and 1930s. (beginning in 1927) The text changed too much for my tastes, from 1959 on, to reflect changing society, politics and other social constructs, and I’m a purist.

For this Challenge, I would like you to build the home, of the Hardy Boys.

Lot Challenge: The Home of The Hardy Boys: As per always, I don’t want a recreation of what The Google may tell you is the home of The Hardy Boys. I looked and the ones I found were more contemporary anyway.

I would like the home to be representative of the type of architecture that would have been common, in the 1920s – 1930s America, in the Northern East Coast areas. The actual location of the fictional home, is supposed to be in the coastal region of New York State.

The home should be 2-3 bedrooms (One for their Parents, a room for the boys and a Guest Room. They will have a large kitchen with informal seating for lunches and breakfast, as well as a more formal dining room/area, for dinners and when they have guests. I will require a study, for their father, who is also a famous detective. I would also like usable attic space and a basement, for storage. A front porch is a must, as well.

Room Challenge: For the Room Challenge, I would love to see the Study for the father of the Hardy Boys, Fenton Hardy. Remember, it is still the 1920s-1930s and he is a famous detective.

Sims Challenge: Please create the Hardy family. The boys, Frank and Joe Hardy; Their parents, Fenton and Laura Hardy; and for fun, let’s also add in the ‘chums’ of the Hardy Boys, who often take part in their adventures, including (since a family is maxed out at 8) Chet Morton, Biff Hooper, Iola Morton and Callie Shaw.

*Wikipedia has a list of all of their friends, with descriptions of each.

I look forward to seeing your creations!

Please use the whole of hashtag #LiteraryBuildChallenge5 when you upload your creations. Any build, room or household without this hashtag will not be considered for Maxis Fave nomination.

The deadline for this challenge is Wednesday, August 19th , 2020 ** [no later than 23:59:59 EDT/New York Time]

BUILD ENTRY FORM
    1920’s-1930s Family Home - The Hardy Boys: Franklin W. Dixon

BUILD ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and House Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    NEW LOT LINK: (Link to where your build can be found on The Gallery)
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW:
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry. Please include Links to other resources you may have found)
    CREDITS: (Please Tag Art Creators whose art you used, if any)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two please)

ROOM ENTRY FORM
    Fenton Hardy Study - The Hardy Boys: Franklin W. Dixon

ROOM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and House Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    ROOM: (Link to where the room can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate Slideshow for the Room, from your Home Emtry)
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)
    CREDITS: (Please Tag Art Creators whose art you used, if any)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

SIMS ENTRY FORM
    The Hardy Family and Chums - The Hardy Boys: Franklin W. Dixon

SIM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and Family Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    HOUSEHOLD: (Link to where the household can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate slideshow of the family, from the Home or Room Slideshows)
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

• AlJayAlJay Posts: 1,649 Member
    Thank you so much @Taoron for your kind review :) it's nice to have you back. Sorry to hear about your health issues, take care <3
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    Hi @Taoron Its great to see you back! Thank you for your kind words about the Greek homes they were all really well done!
    Thanks, all. It is good to be back, even in if not as back as I once was. =)
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    https://www.architectmagazine.com/design/celebrating-the-1920s-house-a-style-for-every-taste_o

Check out these design books from the 1920s. We could actually get lost in there. Well, I could get lost in there.
    https://www.architectmagazine.com/design/celebrating-the-1920s-house-a-style-for-every-taste_o

Check out these design books from the 1920s. We could actually get lost in there. Well, I could get lost in there.

Check this out: https://www.antiquehomestyle.com/plans/
  • XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    Didn't they have an Aunt Gertrude who lived with them?
    Xinqun wrote: »
    Didn't they have an Aunt Gertrude who lived with them?

She visited from time to time.
    edited July 2020
    Looking at that now, I see that is a newer book, from the 80's. I don't purchase those. I only purchase the originals. The first book she was living with them in was The Lazarus Plot, in 1987, from what I can tell. As I said in the challenge, I collect the originals, from 1927 and into the 30's. In 1959, they were revised....changed. I only care about the original series.

Hence, wanting the house to be modeled after 1920's - 1930s architecture.
  • XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    Huh. For some reason I always thought she lived with them. I mean, I remember her better than I remember their actual mom.
    If Joe and Frank were 16 and 18 in 1927, in 1987, they would then be The Hardly Boys, which I am currently writing as a comedy for the stage, ;)
    I just finished one from 1929 and they had to go pick her up. Maybe after 1959, that was part of the revisions. But, I avoid those. Like I said, I'm a purist. I never saw the newer Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downey Jr., because of all of the explosions and stuff in the previews. I like Sherlock Holmes and I own several editions of the original stories. Turning him into a Marvel character holds no interest for me.

But yeah, I have the first 15 or so books in the original publications and read them all, and she doesn't live with them, in the original text.
    Looking at the Wiki, she seems nice, In my texts, the is a nuisance.
  • illusieillusie Posts: 13,816 Member
    @taoron, welcome back. Sorry to hear about your health! Hugs
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    Great to see you back @Taoron <3 I hope things will start to improve for you too! I've been on a long forum hiatus although I've been active in the game itself. Probably won't be able to enter the Hardy brothers challenge. Having my holiday trip next week (the entire week) as you know and then having 3 other build deadlines (sweating). Maybe bit a little too much :D

Thank you for the review over Greek house/family <3<3<3 Yes, I knew greyhounds are incredible and very fast too.
    Thank you @illusie & @Gwiniel

BUILD ENTRY FORM
    1920’s-1930s Family Home - The Hardy Boys: Franklin W. Dixon
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE #5
    FORUM ID:taoron24121
    ORIGIN ID:taoron24121
    NEW LOT LINK: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/D8863795D84C11EA863E03251572FD44
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/La5qOie
    ENTRY DETAILS: I went with a 1923 design of a Symmetrical Colonial Revival (I guess being Symmetrical, it could be kind of Federal) for my home and tried to keep the decor as period as possible. I built in Brindleton Bay, as I thought that would most represent the area that the stories took place. I downloaded a Hardy Family from the gallery, to play test and for pictures, so you'll see them in the slideshow.

There is a sun room on either side of the front of the house. two bedrooms upstairs as well as a Master suite. The basement has a Lab for the boys and the attic has basic storage space, that I didn't spend too much time on. I tried to spend a lot of time on the landscaping and the landscaping tools, to have the house raised and to also have a lot of trees and pretty colors.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the builds that others have come up with.

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

JeEv5yp.png
    9PQQ3pn.png
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    1923 Colonial Revival is a lovely colonial family home! @Taoron :) Very nice exterior of the home and the raised design is great! The flowerbox windows are pretty and very nice trellis roof covered front porch. The gazebo is lovely and pretty blossoms! Very lovely landscaping! The hedging and flower boxes are very nice and beautiful on the edges of the pathways! Pretty flowers on porch edges! Very nice trees! The backyard outdoors dining and grill area is very nice. Great outdoors laundry area! Sims will enjoy playing basketball. Very lovely interior furnishings! Each room reflects the period very well! Very nice colors and pretty wall patterns! Very nice light filled sunrooms! The leafy wall pattern is very nice, and lovely armchair and sofa sitting areas. The fireplace sitting area in the living room is very nice, warming , and homely ! The teaset is a nice touch on the table, and the bunnies on the sofa are sweet! Very nice study! The stacks of books, old camera. open book on desk and bookcase are great! Sims will reading there. The furnishing of each bedroom is very lovely! The garage is great ! Sims will enjoy using the fitness items and playing darts there. Great science lab and reading areas in the basement! The crates, presents, chest and boxes are great stored in the attic!
    It is very nice family home :)
    THank you @rosemow. =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top