Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Problem with The Sims Spark'd

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    Funnily enough, at least the sims did give you a therapist when you had a mental breakdown!

Hey now. Easy there tiger.

Im talking about this guy!

I'll never forget his inspiring words, "Dag dag." Truly touching :'(

Ah! :D
    With 'you had a mental breakdown' you meant the sim in the game? Not the simmer.
    I get it.

Don't mind me!

I sometimes get confused when folks refer to 'you' and 'me' when they're actually talking about their sim.

You know when someone says: 'I just gave birth to my 12th baby while my husband was on fire.'

I get confused...

I do that all the time too. I refer to my sims as me for some reason. It can get confusing true.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    [

One sentence from this article piqued my interest. I'm just highlighting it below:

'Franklin noted that this is a game that relies on little to no consulting with behavioral professionals...'

And this is exactly where it went wrong.
    Yep thus why game being a game about emotions I kind of giggle at since they never consulted professionals. But yeah I think the show is going to point out a lot of the lacking of storytelling with it. Already seen people blame the Game Changers for lack of storytelling and I'm like no that is just how the game is designed to be lackluster. Storytelling was so much better in TS1 and TS2 days instead of the made up drama they call "reality". I was really hoping the show would a least be original, but nope, more exciting reading about the drama happening on Twitter and about that GC run discord than the fake drama in the show. Shares popcorn.

I loved that therapist in the Sims 2 @StrawberryYogurt and it is ok I like setting Sims on fire too. I find it much healthier than the cartoon competition Fornite. Watch the Sims 5 become the next battle royale game and Spark'd is just the guinea pig for testing competitions out.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    logion wrote: »
    People getting mad over Dr Gluon just makes me sad. So many people think they know a person just because they see a edited video showcasing someone and can judge them based on that.

Ask yourself this, do you even know Dr Gluon's real name? No? Then how exactly do you know the person?
    I think that goes for all Game Changers. That article really puts the whole program in a new shady light. I can almost guarantee than a female Youtuber will win it just because that is "who is worth in investing in."

Was nice what Doc said too.

I haven't met him in person myself, but others have that weren't streamers. I just have been following his channel for three years, that's all...almost as long as RoryPlays.

This sums it up pretty well:
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited July 2020
    @Scobre wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think one purpose of the show is to pique the interest of those who are not as familiar with the game as we are. You're not going to see hour long builds but just maybe you'll be interested enough to check out what the contestants normally do in their build videos and Let's Plays.

The game is not about crating a character, building a set and making a movie in the shortest time possible. If you were not familiar with the game would you be interested to play a game like that?
    But it actually was designed to be like that.
    https://venturebeat.com/2014/09/19/how-entertainment-and-life-gives-life-to-the-sims/

"It’s less of a life simulation but more a game about drama.”

One sentence from this article piqued my interest. I'm just highlighting it below:

'Franklin noted that this is a game that relies on little to no consulting with behavioral professionals...'

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Oh my god this is interesting information. It all makes sense now.

You know how Will Wright was obsessed with reading about psychology and behavioural theories? Yeah exactly that was the reason why The Sims made players feel connected to the Sims themselves. Then in the Sims 2 the developers really expanded on that and added tons of features that were based on psychological findings.
    Best examples: wants and fears, aspirations, mental breakdowns, memories and biographies, short-term and long-term effects on relationships, developemental theories that they used to design the life-stages, systemical theories they used in family gameplay (though not very detailed) etc.

I don't think The Sims 4 developers actively wanted to create a game that was just a movie making tool, I think they tried to implement psychology in the game but they didn't know how because they didn't know enough or didn't hire proffesionals but they tried. They wouldn't have made the emotions system such a big part of the game otherwise. I think once they realized they failed in that particular part of the game they started taking the attention away from that and advertising the game in a different way.

This is interesting I might start a thread in the feedback section about psychology in the sims. I just have to go back and identify all the theories they used in previous games.

@SimmerGeorge A little off topic, but in response to your comment:

I'm sure you're familiar with the fact that Will Wright is currently developing another ai simulator (mobile game) with Gallium called Proxi AI. It deals with a very interesting concept in which a player can play out scenes based on their memories.
    I'm quite intrigued and curious about how a player's memory input will be managed through ai.

Initial release was set for last year but it's been delayed most likely due to the pandemic.

https://www.proxiai.com/
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @Scobre wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think one purpose of the show is to pique the interest of those who are not as familiar with the game as we are. You're not going to see hour long builds but just maybe you'll be interested enough to check out what the contestants normally do in their build videos and Let's Plays.

The game is not about crating a character, building a set and making a movie in the shortest time possible. If you were not familiar with the game would you be interested to play a game like that?
    But it actually was designed to be like that.
    https://venturebeat.com/2014/09/19/how-entertainment-and-life-gives-life-to-the-sims/

"It’s less of a life simulation but more a game about drama.”

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Oh my god this is interesting information. It all makes sense now.

You know how Will Wright was obsessed with reading about psychology and behavioural theories? Yeah exactly that was the reason why The Sims made players feel connected to the Sims themselves. Then in the Sims 2 the developers really expanded on that and added tons of features that were based on psychological findings.
    Best examples: wants and fears, aspirations, mental breakdowns, memories and biographies, short-term and long-term effects on relationships, developemental theories that they used to design the life-stages, systemical theories they used in family gameplay (though not very detailed) etc.

I don't think The Sims 4 developers actively wanted to create a game that was just a movie making tool, I think they tried to implement psychology in the game but they didn't know how because they didn't know enough or didn't hire proffesionals but they tried. They wouldn't have made the emotions system such a big part of the game otherwise. I think once they realized they failed in that particular part of the game they started taking the attention away from that and advertising the game in a different way.

This is interesting I might start a thread in the feedback section about psychology in the sims. I just have to go back and identify all the theories they used in previous games.

I'm sure you're familiar with the fact that Will Wright is currently developing another ai simulator (mobile game) with Gallium called Proxi AI. It deals with a very interesting concept in which a player can play out scenes based on their memories.
    I'm quite intrigued and curious about how a player's memory input will be managed through ai.

Initial release was set for last year but it's been delayed most likely due to the pandemic.

This is good news. How is this not talked about? I had no idea... thanks for sharing.

Yep I actually heard of this a while ago but unfortunately there isn't a lot of information about it only and ever since they missed the initial release date I've been wondering if it will ever come out. But I'm keeping an eye on the project and maybe it will come soon.

Yep I actually heard of this a while ago but unfortunately there isn't a lot of information about it only and ever since they missed the initial release date I've been wondering if it will ever come out. But I'm keeping an eye on the project and maybe it will come soon.

They’re still looking for talent according to their website. Fingers crossed.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    You guys kinda derailed the topic to bickering about Sims Spark'd to talking about the next pokemon go btw
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
    @WolfNate wrote: »
    You guys kinda derailed the topic to bickering about Sims Spark'd to talking about the next pokemon go btw

Well kid, sorry we didn't have many nice things to say about Spark'd in this thread. I'm still delighted for those who do enjoy the show.
    It's also entirely my fault we went 4 posts off topic. Shame on me.
    Maybe Pokemon Go back and do your homework and see if you can find the main differences between the game I was talking about and the game you are talking about. But let's not talk about it here. ;)
    edited July 2020
    WolfNate wrote: »

@WolfNate Pokemon Go? Really? What's your problem?
    Will wright is the original creator of the game you play. If it wasn't for him you wouldn't have the Sims 4.
    As for the Sims Spark'd I said what my problem is and I have to admit additional things started to come up like that whole thing about being toxic towards that Game Changer guy, to the people who will do anything to win the competition on the Gallery even to the non objective critiques by the Gurus. The only thing I did end up liking however are the contestants who honestly come off as pretty kind people.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    @SimmerGeorge Well, Pokemon Go was very popular and people praised it so i don't know if saying it is gonna be the next pokemon go is a bad thing.
    Mareah wrote: »
    @SimmerGeorge Well, Pokemon Go was very popular and people praised it so i don't know if saying it is gonna be the next pokemon go is a bad thing.

It seems like he's downplaying it the way he said it but if I start talking about Pokemon Go we'll go really off topic.
    I'm just curious to get some more replies on the thread and see what other people think of the show and my arguments so I would love for the thread not to get closed down.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member

woah the disrespect man
    u wouldn't be here talkin about your beloved sims if it wasn't for him, he is the creator of the franchise.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited July 2020
    also it would be better if ea stopped airing the circus they've put on tv. just stop, the sims does not deserve this, nobody asked for this trash
    lmao ea paid millions for it just to look like uttery clowns, what a joke

tenor.gif
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    also it would be better if ea stopped airing the circus they've put on tv. just stop, the sims does not deserve this, nobody asked for this trash

tenor.gif
    I guess time for them to make the next Pokemon Go app too with Voidcritters. ;)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited July 2020

tenor.gif

If EA could have done this with Sims 3 they would have done and with Sims 2 for that matter. Disney cancelled the film when they took over. EA would have known that Sims 3 was too flawed to play without added mods so probably wouldn't have tried that as a TV show.

"The Sims is the name of a live-action film that was planned to be based on the game series of the same name, announced on May 25, 2007"

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims_(film)
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member

woah the disrespect man
    u wouldn't be here talkin about your beloved sims if it wasn't for him, he is the creator of the franchise.

And the fact I do not know this means you should get at me? I'm just pointing out talking about a mobile game coming out is not on topic.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players

woah the disrespect man

And the fact I do not know this means you should get at me? I'm just pointing out talking about a mobile game coming out is not on topic.

If something is unclear, do not assume. To prevent misunderstanding, ask, or do the research before you come back with a response that is clearly out of context.
    Best to get back on topic now. ;)

woah the disrespect man

If something is unclear, do not assume. To prevent misunderstanding, ask, or do the research before you come back with a response that is clearly out of context.
    All hail Will Wright, our God of the Sims.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Fun fact: He was in Robot Wars with his daughter Cassidy who was a huge inspiration for Cassandra Goth. One of the reasons why that is my favorite premade since the beginning.
  • DemyanoSlavDemyanoSlav Posts: 581 Member
    edited July 2020
    Honestly, my problem with the show is that it exists in the first place. Who the hell thought this would be a good idea.

But then again, EA thought that a Katy Perry DLC was a good idea, so we can't trust that they have the best ideas (or are even sane..)
  • OrangeSodaSINOrangeSodaSIN Posts: 58 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

woah the disrespect man

maxresdefault.jpg

Fun fact: He was in Robot Wars with his daughter Cassidy who was a huge inspiration for Cassandra Goth. One of the reasons why that is my favorite premade since the beginning.

i miss him so much.
    Scobre wrote: »

woah the disrespect man

maxresdefault.jpg

i miss him so much.
    Me too. But I am happy he is having fun making games still. So nice he hasn't lost that passion for gaming.
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    edited August 2020
    Will Wright contributed to my passions of computer animation, AI and life simulation. I wouldn't be on my career path if it wasn't for him.

Also, he'd probably be ashamed of the lows that The Sims franchise has stooped to with the execution of Spark'd. There. I brought Spark'd back into the discussion.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I was looking at the number of views for Youtube for the TV show. They aren't good, at least compared to other Youtubers.
    A video of an episode from last week only got 230,000 views. That's barely more than a normal video from Plumbella or James Turner. And compared to videos by CallMeKevin or GreyStillPlays, which can get 200,000 views in a single day, and almost 500,000 views within a single week, it's quite low.
    I doubt it got many views on TBS either.

All of which makes me wonder, was this really worth it??
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    edited August 2020
    The Sims™ Spark’d Episode 2 | Official Trailer only had around 80 000 views on the sims channel and is now unlisted (so you can't see it without a direct link)