Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Update] The Sims Spark'd Finale - Discussion with Spoilers!

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    It's similar to Ink Master TV show, the time is very short to create a masterpiece.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Just watched the first episode, To be honest it was very stressful to watch, I feel like they should have been given more time to be able to decently show off what they can do. The editing of the show makes it seem really rushed which I did not personally like. Also would have loved Jesse to have had more camera time, was missing her personality lol <3 Team Gnome FTW!

I felt it was rushed too. I had already watched half of it before I realized that it was the actual show and not a trailer. It was interesting to see the elimination process and I was surprised to see that teams lost points due to time constraints and emotions. Maybe it didn't help that the whole company was on the stairs and cheering for them. :lol:
  • March306March306 Posts: 1,012 Member
    (I'm also a little bitter because Jenn is pretty famous for her intricate stories. So the challenges were basically asking her to water them down.)

Yeah, I've seen Jenn's channel and she is ALL about story and drama. I hated that she was put on a team and not able to show her true talent.

Then Dr Gluon and the other chick was aggravated at him because he was so controlling. Only two or the four teams actually were balanced and worked out. (in my opinion)

I was not impressed. I feel like if they were going to put "pro sims players" or whatever they should have allowed them to pick team members or balanced out the teams by skill sets not randomly give them teams. OR just let each person compete not in teams.

I really feel they weren't given enough time. Also didn't like the team dynamics.
    5DG72Tj.gif
  • CemirrorCemirror Posts: 61 Member
    There's a lot of things that stood out to me about this show:

1. Why on earth is the Sims team emphasizing stories so much in this show? Sims 4 is just not built well for stories. Not only that, but they criticized *all* the storytellers. And that seemed to be the focus, really. How much time did we even get to look at the builds? Or at the character creations?

2. The judges did not seem to know what they wanted and didn't convey that to the participants. At one point Dave Miotke mentions that one of the teams didn't have a "climax" in their story. Like, really, Dave? Did any of the stories really have climax? Or a resolution? Or a three-act structure? How sharp was that dialogue? If you're wanting polished writing, then you need to allot time for polished writing. And if you're wanting something for sims players to jump into, then why would you want a climax or a resolution? The criticism was *so* superficial and the players put so much more effort into their builds than the judges did in judging.

3. The sims players were not that interested in competition. They wanted to do the challenge, sure, but not to do it better than anyone else. They just wanted to do it well period. Jesse's comment about being kind particularly stood out. These people are their friends - their real, genuine friends. They're not going to stab them in the back for a show.

4. Never more was the contrast between players and developers made clear. The developers seemed to just throw things out, like a meaningless story twist and needless complications and then expected dazzling results while the players scrambled to understand the challenge in general. The developers came across as very superficial and their desire for competition and drama came at odds with the contestants. Putting people under pressure for the presentation - many of whom have anxiety disorders they're still dealing with - felt callous and mean-spirited, especially since the storytellers do not tell their stories that way on Youtube.

5. The Sims as a game did not come out looking great. The builds and the CAS REALLY needed to be emphasized more than the story-telling. The developers/judges didn't come out looking great either. Weirdly enough, the people who came out looking great were the Game-changers, who seemed to be battling a company that needlessly belittled them. Team Gnome's decision to help the others made the reality TV facade come crashing down on the Sims' head.

6. The group project feel of this show needs to go. I like seeing different types of people work together, but Xmiramira and DrGluon are obviously not going to work well together and the idea that DrGluon's storytelling could knock Xmiramira out of the competition just does not feel right. The English Simmer, Simproved, and Plumbella all seemed to click and have chemistry. Imagine if Plumbella had to work with Dr. Gluon instead, and SimLicy worked with Steph0sims. The trailer for the next episode showed the teams will be locked together still. Why?

7. In conclusion, I'm definitely going to keep watching this show. Because the antagonist, loud and clear, is not the other players, but the Sims franchise itself. And *that* is a mesmerizing twist on the reality TV formula.
  • SaltyCarameloSaltyCaramelo Posts: 5 New Member
    Is there somewhere we can submit feedback they might want to have in mind for future editions? Or is that not a thing?
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Having 12 people all make build and make a story in 5 hours seems wway too much to expect from one person.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
    edited July 2020
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Having 12 people all make build and make a story in 5 hours seems wway too much to expect from one person.

In this show The Sims isn't a game, it's a tool. They could replace the game by actors or a book to write it would be the same thing.

The real challenge is the teamwork with random teammates and to be creative.
    edited July 2020
    Just for laugh, you will notice nobody applauded for Owen and SimGuruNinja but Kelsey and Tayla were applauded.

It confirms that Maxis dislike the males :p

In this show The Sims isn't a game, it's a tool. They could replace the game by actors or a book to write it would be the same thing.

The real challenge is the teamwork with random teammates and to be creative.

I know that just seems everyone is whining about how they don't focus on the game or the team sucks and a lot of people are flaming Drgluon he probably deleted his twitter at this point... Poor guy
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2020
    Cemirror wrote: »
    7. In conclusion, I'm definitely going to keep watching this show. Because the antagonist, loud and clear, is not the other players, but the Sims franchise itself. And *that* is a mesmerizing twist on the reality TV formula.
    First of all, amazing post. And this part was especially hilarious.

But I skimmed the episode a bit while thinking of it as a scathing parody of reality shows and The Sims 4. The judges (particularly Dave) are stock judge archetypes - but they don't know what they're talking about. There are attempts to force drama, but the contestants aren't losing their senses or getting caught up in it. The challenges are almost designed to expose the game's flaws. (Heck, next episode will be about the supernatural. The Sims 4 has been infamously neglectful of them and we have a limited selection of BB/CAS for them.) Things are artificial and have no substance, and it's up to the contestants to fight everything around them to do good. The contestants see right through the shallowness, yet must embrace it to succeed.

TL;DR The show is a lot better if you look at it as an anti-reality show that makes fun of the genre. Which is such Sims humor.

/jk
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    @Gordy But, seriously, it is like a parody. Reality TV and a game catered to a supportive, artistic, diverse, expressive community do not mix. It makes you realize why the show is going to be over so quickly - the more time you spend watching it, the more icky it feels. It's definitely discouraged me from doing the challenges.

And yeah, what is up with the supernatural thing?? Isn't this supposed to advertise the Sims, not broadcast its flaws? What's the third episode going to be about, personality? Maybe the final episode can be about who spots the most bugs in the games.
    I'm stoked for next ep with magic
  • OrangeSodaSINOrangeSodaSIN Posts: 58 Member
    I'm stoked for next ep with magic

if we ever get anything else with magic :(
  • LissyK9LissyK9 Posts: 205 Member
    I agree with most of the other criticisms already posted here. It was very shallow, the forced drama made me cringe, in fact team gnome using their advantage to help the other players because they knew each other as friends was hands down my favorite part of the episode. I'll watch the rest of the show just because I like the game changers and I want to stay up to date on what is happening in the sims community, but this show did not feel at all like the sims community that I know. It was so weird to see the teams competing in ridiculously restrictive time crunches and then being judged for half-baked ideas. I spend more than 90 minutes building a good build alone, let alone planning, designing sims, and then playing out a fun story. And the criticisms felt so mean, when I'm used to the sims being a place where creativity and positivity is encouraged and applauded for everyone, even beginner players. This show just felt so fake and off-brand. It made me sad.
    @LissyK9 Agree, 100%. I think the worst part for me is the thought that the gurus thought we'd like this. That we'd enjoy fun, creative people forced into an extremely stressful environment (that we'd also find extremely stressful) and then nitpicked with awful criticism by people who are not their artistic equals. Plumbella's comment about going out being nice felt like a biting criticism to the showrunners. This definitely reads more as The Hunger Games than Project Runway. Honestly, I do like the game-changers and seeing them work together. But we don't need this nonsense to see that. The Sims needs to focus on collaboration not competition. There is no winning in art. That's just not how art works.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited July 2020
    First, the parts I really enjoyed. I stan Team Gnome forever, and I thought the item challenge was brilliant. With that said, there are some things that could be done to make the next season of the show better:
    • Challenge times need to be lengthened. Perhaps doubled? If everyone has a reasonable amount of time to finish (bar disasters), the judging will be based more on creativity and execution of ideas. The final products will also be better, which helps showcase what is possible in the game.
    • More emphasis needs to be placed on CAS and build modes. Show off those tools! They're the best parts of TS4.
    • Judges need to provide more detailed feedback, including advice on how contestants could do things differently in the future to produce better results.
    • Don't assign roles within teams. Everyone should be encouraged to participate in all aspects of the project.
    edited July 2020
    I really don't see the issues everyone has and I been watching reality contest shows since I was 10 and I'm 27. I didn't really see anything that requires a total massive flamewar and boycott over the show and the whole "Sims is for inclusivity and everybody!" Comments toward how rude the show is, makes me laugh when I received oh so much hate towards talking about Realm of Magic and advocating for Happy Haunts theme for the stuff pack.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I really don't see the issues everyone has and I been watching reality contest shows since I was 10 and I'm 27. I didn't really see anything that requires a total massive flamewar and boycott over the show and the whole "Sims is for inclusivity and everybody!" Comments toward how rude the show is, makes me laugh when I received oh so much hate towards talking about Realm of Magic and advocating for Happy Haunts theme for the stuff pack.

it looks like to me most of the people that don't like the show in this thread don't like the game that much ether
    I see the people a lot in complaining threads @WolfNate
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    it looks like to me most of the people that don't like the show in this thread don't like the game that much ether I see the people a lot in complaining threads @WolfNate

I donno if that's true but dang there are like ten protests threads and every post about it is editing made Drgluon a misgonyst (which didn't register to me when I watched it tbh..) and it's just a massive flame war. I enjoyed it and I don't like Gluon either but it's more he just kinda doesn't work for me then I wanna go flame him about how he looked on tv due to editing.

edited July 2020
    it looks like to me most of the people that don't like the show in this thread don't like the game that much ether I see the people a lot in complaining threads @WolfNate

I donno if that's true but dang there are like ten protests threads and every post about it is editing made Drgluon a misgonyst (which didn't register to me when I watched it tbh..) and it's just a massive flame war. I enjoyed it and I don't like Gluon either but it's more he just kinda doesn't work for me then I wanna go flame him about how he looked on tv due to editing.

well they wanted drama they got it though not in the why they wanted I'm sure
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

It's not really boycotting when people share their opinion with sensible arguments. I'm pretty someone must have liked the show since it has a lot of views on YouTube but yeah there are also people in other parts of the internet that seemed to not like the idea of The Sims 4 E-Sports.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    It's not really boycotting when people share their opinion with sensible arguments. I'm pretty someone must have liked the show since it has a lot of views on YouTube but yeah there are also people in other parts of the internet that seemed to not like the idea of The Sims 4 E-Sports.

Feels like no one here likes it wow these comments

are you really surprised people on here complain about sims 4 all the time

are you really surprised people on here complain about sims 4 all the time

Which ironically proves the point their accusing the show of
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited July 2020

it looks like to me most of the people that don't like the show in this thread don't like the game that much ether
    I see the people a lot in complaining threads @WolfNate

That's not true. I love the game and you see me a lot in positive threads. I hate this tv show. It's the worst representation of the game they could think of. You need time to play the sims and you def don't need competition.