Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who do you play as?? (Race and Gender wise)

MorinGlory23MorinGlory23 Posts: 64 Member
I'm really curious if it's just me. I'm a 23 year old Black female simmer. And I've been mostly making and playing families of color with focus on black males. For example, I'm currently playing with ThePleasantSims' Pleasantview world/save file. I rotated through the families and added a few of my own created ones to add to the town. However, I'm mostly playing as the Dreamer family with focus on Dirk Dreamer and his life as my "founder" sim. I broke him up with Lilith Pleasant and paired him with a created sim, Leia, who is of the same race as Dirk.

I have made sims of different races/cultural backgrounds before, but I tend to default to making families that are similar to my own, be it their race or family structure. And I noticed that I often gravitate to playing as a male sim.

What I'm curious about is if other simmers have noticed if they do something similar to this, playing their own race or opposite gender more often. I'm really curious especially after listening to a black simmer say she mostly makes black sims because she is herself black and often females because, well, she's a female.

And while I love the sims 2 and 3, I have to give props to the sims 4 for having more Textured hair options, making POC CAS a lot easier. I've been on a kick recently of downloading S4 to S2/S3 conversations and that's when I noticed how hard it is to find good textured hair for the older sims games.

These are my thoughts and I want to hear yours.

(Please keep the discussion peaceful and reflective ✌🏾)
Post edited by MorinGlory23 on

Comments

• KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    I'm a white woman and I tend to create white female Sims. Sometimes I make other races but that's what I default to. I rarely make men; usually I only make them if a story I have in mind involves my sim already being married.
  • MorinGlory23MorinGlory23 Posts: 64 Member
    @Krueger Since you make females more often, have you noticed that you spend more time making them vs their male counterparts? I know some players complain that the female sims tend to get the majority of new CAS content while male sims get far less or just conversions of female content.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Im black but i play with a lot of races. I think incidentally I play with black sims the least. They are majority female that I make.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Yes theyve also added a lot of black hairstyles because basegame was godawful. Now for basegame its a lot more balanced but could use a few more black hairstyles
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    @Krueger Since you make females more often, have you noticed that you spend more time making them vs their male counterparts? I know some players complain that the female sims tend to get the majority of new CAS content while male sims get far less or just conversions of female content.

Yeah, I definitely put more time into making the women. With females I take a lot of time in exploring all the clothes, hairstyle, and makeup options, trying to decide what best fits the personality I have for them and what details to add. With men I tend to just pick out some quick clothes that look good and move on. I honestly couldn't tell you whether that's a result of lack of CAS or just how I do it though.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Im black but i play with a lot of races. I think incidentally I play with black sims the least. They are majority female that I make.
    Yes theyve also added a lot of black hairstyles because basegame was godawful. Now for basegame its a lot more balanced but could use a few more black hairstyles

Same thing for me. I'm also black(female) and play mostly female sims of different races with black being the race I play the least. I still play ts3 and the hair choices for black sims aren't the best. Slowly getting back in to cc so haven't really looked around for any hair yet but will have to soon. When i'm not playing out a story idea I do tend to gravitate more toward my simself (the one in my picture) if I just want to play normal generational play.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I must admit that a lot of my Sims are 'white' with a very large amount with brown hair.

I have played other Sims before though:

qjp9TSj.jpg

hDpM8iA.jpg

G1hD7AO.jpg

0EetfOB.jpg

3NI5bGd.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm quite the opposite. I am female south asian. More specifically Tamil. And although I make a variety of black,white indian etc my main sims are usually east asian. Korean japanese or from one of those countries.

Another interesting thing is I enjoy male sims more. I probably have 20 males vs 4 females. And I can spend an equally amount of time on both in CAS which is a loooooong time lol. I have tons of male cc so the options are endless.

I have to agree the textured hair is really nice in this game.

This is a very interesting thread though. As I set here and deeply thought about why I don't mainly make sims of my own race. I believe I just never really thought of race the way most people do and I don't feel more comfortable being around my own race or anything. I've always interacted with and got along so well with other races, especially east asians. And I've never felt any distinction between us. Some people are a bit darker, and some a bit lighter. That's it.
    So I'm thinking maybe that's why...

And a lot of times when I'm making sims I don't even have a specific race in mind. I go with the flow. Only time I make a specific race is when I feel like I need more diversity in my town. And I base the sims skin color on which color looks better with that specific sim.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Krueger wrote: »

Yeah, I definitely put more time into making the women. With females I take a lot of time in exploring all the clothes, hairstyle, and makeup options, trying to decide what best fits the personality I have for them and what details to add. With men I tend to just pick out some quick clothes that look good and move on. I honestly couldn't tell you whether that's a result of lack of CAS or just how I do it though.

I spend more time on females as well. I have half a dozen male Simsselves and when picking an eventual girlfriend for them I design them like how I would like them to be. I have more than likely more than 5 times pictures of female Sims that male Sims.

For instance in photobucket there is a stronger focus on the females:

pZAaYGl.jpg

They get more CAS pics as well:

PhyRJeI.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    I’m a mixed female but I usually make more white or mixed female Sims. I use cc and the swatches usually look bad on black Sims so it’s easier to make lighter Sims. When I play Sims 3, though, I make more black Sims because the color wheel allows me to get better colors for my Sims.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • amberlunezamberlunez Posts: 52 Member
    I'm a 28 y/o cis woman and play almost exclusively women, of any sexuality, and any race. I often randomize when I create my sims, and then when I settle on one randomized sim I like, I just tweak them until I think they're perfect, so that definitely gives my game a bit of variety. I only get specific when I have a specific storyline/name/look I'm going for. I don't...not like playing male sims, but I hate creating them. They lose my interest very quickly. If there's a male in my storyline I usually just find one out and about and marry him in because I just don't care to create them from scratch :D
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,179 Member
    I'm a white dude. I make white dude Sims. What happens down the line after my white dude Sim gets married and has kids is up to the universe. For instance. Here's the white dude I used to start my current generation.
    Cme5TGf.png
    And here's his Great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great Grandson.
    hzEGUVH.png
    I go where the wind blows.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    I generally randomize a sim and work with that base, so I play with every skin color and have a good mix of males and females. I like to play with a variety of sims, both in terms of looks as well as personality.

I will say that I seem to be drawn towards red heads even though I don't have red hair.
  • mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    Depends on the iteration. S2 a spectrum, S3 more light skinned or oddball color females, S4 lots of deliciously muscular medium to dark skinned men and some curvy dark skinned women. I'm old and white and I do what I want.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Probably 50% of my sims are pasty pale gothic types. Most have black hair, some have unnatural coloured hair, some have white hair.

My party people
    tumblr_oibzdwfFDv1v2n804o1_1280.jpg

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    Whoever I want to play. The devil doesn't have a gender or a race. But reeks havoc on everyone, so yeah, I might play the devil but add, I'm never in the game, I am the god of the game.
    Add for clairty. I don't play due to race or gender, I play characters and if they have a particular attribute, then that's the way it is. :) If the description of the character was a particular race or gender then that's who they are. But I'm still going to throw them some trouble.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    It varies from game to game save.

In my latest I've tended to keep all the Myshuno and Sulani characters that are in the game and got rid of most of the rest to make my own. All these with the deep/deepest colouring I put in in Oasis Springs/Sulani/Selvadorada and paler in Willow Creek etc. I'd love an African world to play. My families mix and match then and it's interesting to see the outcomes!

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm more of a Bob the Builder, but when it comes to CAS, I actually go out of my way to find different faces from different cultures and create them in The Sims. I use it as a way of study and exploration since I have a strong interest in human physical appearance. I watch folks all the time. (Not to freak people out for any particular reason, I feel I need to clarify that I do character design as part of my job... :# ).

I'm an odd human meltingpot of East and Southeast Asian, German, French, Scottish and Whatnot-descent, so I can't really consider myself as 'White'. I'm more of a Cauc-Asian. Generally folks just think I look Mediterranean and my main sim will often have similar genetics: usually straight male with sallow skin and dark hair like myself, even if the sims I play are NOT my Simself. Oh dear, please no. The game is already full of bugs...
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 954 Member
    I am a 58 years old male Caucasian, and play a variety of sims. Most have light skin, though, and are heterosexual couples some with kids.

I am not sure how many skin tones are found in my games, but some are light, brown, black, purple or blue.
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I'm white but I never create white sims :D I tend to make black men the most but I haven't created sims in a while. In my legacy where my sims marry random townie descendants, I focus more on finding good-looking sims that have different genetics from my sim.

In general, I'm not a huge fan of most of the undertones in any of the skintones we have. The white skintones are either very pink or very yellow and the dark skintones are usually ashy or red. The medium skintones are the most pleasing to look at in-game because they don't have super weird undertones...
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I'm a latin mid age woman and i randomize all my sims so i play all kinds of sims. Latelly Im playing with the premades. I've chosen 4 varied households.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,321 Member
    edited July 2020
    This is a really interesting question! :smiley:

I am white, and although I am mostly okay with people seeing me as female, I was raised in a very gender neutral upbringing somewhat isolated from broader society until I was in my teens. So my feelings about my gender are somewhat complicated.

I mostly play with male sims as far as the body-frame goes, but I play around with aspects of masculine, feminine, or ambiguous gender expressions often, as well as the different pregnancy related options. Some of my male sims are very feminine. I do make some female sims, but more often as background characters. Female sims I do play with tend to be very nerdy and/or "tom-boy" personalities with very little "feminine" expression (rather like myself and the women I grew up around). The more feminine females are usually background characters that I don't play with much.

I also have a mild form of prosopagnosia (also known as "face blindness"). This doesn't mean I can't see faces, but it does mean I have a hard time identifying individual people by their faces. I use other cues such as hair color, hairstyle, gait, skin color, build, height, voice, clothing, personality, or context to help me recognize people that I know. In certain situations, I have even had trouble recognizing my own family members and friends! :flushed: That can be embarrassing, so I've gotten really good at faking it until I figure out who someone is.

Because of this, when I play households with multiple sims, I like to make the members of the household look really different from each other in terms of hair color, hair style, skin color, clothing style etc. It helps me tell them apart from each other.
    Post edited by GlacierSnow on
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited August 2020
    I'm --,
    male and I used to play with 90% white female sims especially when I was a kid. However in my teenage years I started changing it up a bit, I started creating more Hispanic sims, Asian sims a lot more male sims than before. About 30% of my sims nowadays are darker, black sims. I guess growing up I stopped being so self-centered and became curious about other types of people different than myself.
    Post edited by SimmerGeorge on
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2020
    I usually just make starter sim that looks just like me but less ugly/unhealthy

its easier to relate to sims that have similar look to yourself at some level

and it's mostly same gender too but sometimes i switch to dude version for funs
    (and yeah its always hot dudes i have no excuse)

I feel like as white/nordic(?) person I find it hard to make/play poc characters cause i just get overly cautious about not being mean to them or negatively stereotyping them and my usual play is just the opposite of that where every character is evil or wrecked

like I don't want to be mean to bob pancakes but being mean to eliza?
    heck yeah
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    @Simmingal wrote: »
    I usually just make starter sim that looks just like me but less ugly/unhealthy

I’m sure you’re way too harsh on yourself. :)