Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone Besides me Like Spark?

WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
edited July 2020 in The Sims Spark'd
So a lot of tension I feel about the show but did anyone on the forum like me enjoy it for the most part? I for one am excited for next episode with Occult elements as mandatory <3 but I'm curious when was this taped..? Will my fave pack be an element? I donno if any team will use Realm of Magic's occult in their game but did it come out by time they taped so I can hope they do till I see it?
Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
Post edited by WolfNate on

Comments

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2020
    This is post-RoM. The spellcaster cradle was used, and we saw Glimmerbrook.
    Post edited by Gordy on
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I thought I saw Glimmerbrooke in Gnome's build but I didn't want to commit with hoping to see Casters in next episode. Still on topic di you like Sparked?
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2020
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I thought I saw Glimmerbrooke in Gnome's build but I didn't want to commit with hoping to see Casters in next episode. Still on topic di you like Sparked?
    It was the best piece of media I have ever seen. Perfect, literally perfect in every way. I have no doubt in my mind that it will go down in history, not only as a work of high art in motion, but as one of man's greatest achievements. It inspired me to go out, get married and start a family, just so I can tell my grandkids about it. I want them to feel the same joy I felt from it, even if it's no longer around. But why would it end? It's the paragon of beauty and grace, it will always be in high demand. But do we really deserve to have such a gift for so long? Did we really deserve such a gift in the first place? No, but I'm glad we got it. It literally changed, no SAVED my life.

But other than that, it was pretty rough, but it has potential. I can see a season 2 fixing the flaws, though by then they likely won't have my favorite simmers. And I'm pretty much watching this show for them. #TeamGnome #TeamFreezerBunny

BTW, good to see you back on the forums. I missed seeing my fellow occultist.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    Gordy wrote: »
    It was the best piece of media I have ever seen. Perfect, literally perfect in every way. I have no doubt in my mind that it will go down in history, not only as a work of high art in motion, but as one of man's greatest achievements. It inspired me to go out, get married and start a family, just so I can tell my grandkids about it. I want them to feel the same joy I felt from it, even if it's no longer around. But why would it end? It's the paragon of beauty and grace, it will always be in high demand. But do we really deserve to have such a gift for so long? Did we really deserve such a gift in the first place? No, but I'm glad we got it. It literally changed, no SAVED my life.

But other than that, it was pretty rough, but it has potential. I can see a season 2 fixing the flaws, though by then they likely won't have my favorite simmers. And I'm pretty much watching this show for them. #TeamGnome #TeamFreezerBunny

BTW, good to see you back on the forums. I missed seeing my fellow occultist.

I like reality shows Face Off was epic it really pushed the boundaries of makeup for movies. But I'm excited for next episode hoping to see a Caster they 100% showed a vampire and alien but aliens are pretty boring far as fantasy states go.

Haha would you believe Sparked inspired me to play again? xD
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I tried the first episode but I couldn't finish. I found it a bit cringe but mostly (to me) it was just boring and I couldn't make myself sit through the full hour.
  • Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    Quite a few did not like it (I am one of those) however quite a few did like it. It's a matter of opinions and tastes :D
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    It felt a bit rushed for me. I would have liked it to show us a bit more while they worked on their projects, I also think they should have gotten more time. I took two days to build my last build and it takes me like an hour just to make a sim in cas. I know its a competition, but they would be able to do more with a little more time, like the lego masters they got like 10+hours because its something that takes time, and sims take time ;) (just my opinion though)
  • DenimjoDenimjo Posts: 213 Member
    edited July 2020
    Watched the first episode. It was as I feared: forcing a game like The Sims 4 into a format that it was not intended to be used (i.e. multiple people playing the game on the same computer at the same time, setting arbitrary time limits to how long you have to create something great, etc.) makes the game look kind of boring. It doesn't really promote the game so much as it illustrates just how dedicated the contestants have to be to it in order to make something they can be proud of that quickly. The players that have all the keyboard commands memorized will have a definite advantage over those who don't (since it's much faster to click a button than it is to aim a mouse and click a very small icon on the screen); the players who know exactly where and how to find the items in the catalog that they need quickly will do much better than those who don't. Since this has likely never been an issue for any of these YouTubers before I doubt any of them have all of that committed to memory.

Playing the game and telling a story with the game are two entirely different beasts, and forcing people who are used to working alone to work in a group is a recipe for disaster. It could be so much better if they let each contestant have complete control over one aspect and let the other two do their own thing to build on it (i.e. the storyteller goes first and sets the scene, then the builder and stylist get to spend nearly the entire time just doing what they do best while the storyteller can give suggestions as needed). The quality of the entire presentation would increase and the game wouldn't look so lackluster.

Random question: Are they allowed to use cheat commands to tell a story? I mean, I did see them using moveobjects, but I wonder if they can do things like induce a lightning strike or summon a specific NPC.

Another question: are technical glitches taken into account when it comes to the time limit? I.E. If the video editing software goes slower than expected will they be given any leeway since that's not something they can predict or be blamed for?

However, it does a great job in illustrating just how much work and creativity goes into making all of those Sims 4 YouTube videos, and just how long of a process it is.

ETA: Also, something that annoyed me was how they kept advertising the official site by saying, 'If you want to know why these towns were selected, go to [link]', but the link doesn't give any of that information. One of their families is going into the game? Check out [link] to see which one! And . . . nothing.
    Zl8Iuk9.jpg
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I like reality shows and also enjoyed this one. It did feel a bit rushed and I'm not a fan of all the choices the production team made, but I can easily watch another episode. I like that they're trying new concepts with The Sims 4 and what can be done with it. The challenges the contestants were given were so hard I really felt for them.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I did. I even watched it twice.. mostly because I missed stuff the first time due to distraction. It's not the way I play the game but it's a challenge show and it was interesting to watch them try to work within the boundaries set out to them. I plan on continuing watching.. I might not be right there at air time but I'm going to try to catch it sometime during the week again if I miss the first airing. I'm interested to see how they evolve the show if it continues another season also.
    egTcBMc.png
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I watched it on the YT out of curiosity, but it will be the first & the last. I know most of them by names, but after watching them in the team challenges, it makes me wonder, if that is their true nature or just the TV persona. You know, team activity can either bring the best or of course the worst in you. I watched it till the end, but I can't focus on what they're doing because it doesn't really showing their skills, but more on the team drama.

As some say, it looks so rush & lack of "details" in certain ways. For example, not everyone knows each one of them (let's say, if we consider that those who watch the show is the non-Simmers) or let alone the history of the game. EA should realise that, not everyone knows or should know what is The Sims franchise is. Unless, this is a targeted program where it's targeting the existing Simmers. Then the question is, what's the purpose of this program? If it's targeting the general public, it should be done in a different way than what they're currently doing.

More than anything, this kind of program is not my cup of tea, but the in-game challenge is pretty interesting. I do enjoy participating in it, although the amount of "abuse" is very intolerable. I wish that instead of awarding the winners of the in-game challenge to be the next Simmers to be on the TV show, I would rather to win packs, Maxis fav, etc. I'm not interested to be part of the TV show at all. :|
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    No. I did not enjoy the show. Personally I'm not a fan of reality shows and I'm not a fan of this one either.

But great that you're enjoying it! I hope the next few episodes will be just as enjoyable for you! :)

I believe the show was recorded in December '19, meaning RoM and DU would have been available to the contestants.
    @Denimjo wrote: »

Random question: Are they allowed to use cheat commands to tell a story? I mean, I did see them using moveobjects, but I wonder if they can do things like induce a lightning strike or summon a specific NPC.

They should. If it's a Machinima style challenge, they ought to be able to use the cheats in order to generate different environment states, animations, effects, etc. so they can execute the story as well as intended. Not fair otherwise.
    @Denimjo wrote: »
    Another question: are technical glitches taken into account when it comes to the time limit? I.E. If the video editing software goes slower than expected will they be given any leeway since that's not something they can predict or be blamed for?

The software they used (Premiere Pro) is very stable and fast as long as it runs on a capable machine (they have top notch at EA). If the software somehow crashes, the team and editor should be given back that lost time.

However, when the professional editor (who was not presented as part of the team) is unable to finish the edit, the team is at fault for not giving the footage on time, or for not having the ability to give the editor clear directions.

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    I bailed out after a few minutes.
    Just not my thing. Only thing I want from The Sims is a great sims game.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    I started this thread to talk about it with ppl who like it (if any...) there like 5 threads already boycotting it why post here to say "nope it sucks" there already a thread literally TITLED "I don't like sparked"
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited July 2020
    I think the GameChangers was the best part and they are probably the main reason why people like it... I definitely got interested in seeing more of what they make on their channels.

When it comes to the TV show itself...as for someone who plays the sims I did not find a lot to connect with. I don't use the sims4 as a story telling tool, CAS is my favorite part and they showed maybe... a couple of minutes of what they did in CAS.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I was bored. I almost turned it off so many times but I left it on to give it a chance. It really didn't redeem itself as it went on and I doubt I'll watch any more unless they change the format a bit.

It would have been nice to see them building their sims/homes/stories more. I like most of those game changers and watch a lot of their stuff, but... I can keep watching their stuff while not watching the rest of this show. I tried.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,065 Member
    it felt very unnecessary. i'm not sure who really asked for it; it just feels like one of the many tone deaf things ea chooses to do, as if theyre not really in tune with their target audience.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    I started this thread to talk about it with ppl who like it (if any...) there like 5 threads already boycotting it why post here to say "nope it sucks" there already a thread literally TITLED "I don't like sparked"

You need to change your thread title then. You asked 'Did Anyone Like Spark?' Those who didn't will respond.
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    I liked it alright. I think the time limits were too short but it was ok otherwise.
    edited July 2020

Did anyone like Spark’d?

Is a question where one can answer YES, or NO. ( or meh.)
    I’m in the NO category.

The Reason I LOVE Spark’d!
    may (or may not) get you a different audience... ;)

My apologies for being one of those NO folks you did not want to have a conversation with in your discussion.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    Lol, there was a period on the forum when I started every discussion with, "For those who are excited about and looking forward to" whatever a new pack was releasing or discussing a particular feature. :p
    Indeed! One has to be very careful when choosing a thread title that needs to attract only those with a specific interest.

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I wanted to like it! I did watch the whole thing, but I'm clearly not the target audience for this.

However, now that I know the format and who's all in it exactly, I do want to know who wins. I'll just cut to the end after it's done airing. ;)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Lol, there was a period on the forum when I started every discussion with, "For those who are excited about and looking forward to" whatever a new pack was releasing or discussing a particular feature. :p
    I love your discussions. <3 I always anticipated for them like Colton's yes yes polls.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DenimjoDenimjo Posts: 213 Member

Sorry if my response wasn't what you wanted. For the record, I think the idea had potential but it's being done in such a poor manner that I just can't like it, even though I want to. You're free to enjoy it, though.
    Zl8Iuk9.jpg