Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help getting Sims 2 to start

ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
Hi, I have Sims 2 installed on my D drive. I reset the C drive and now Sims 2 won’t boot, it’s not recognizing that it’s there. I don’t play using Origin. Any advice?

Comments

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    Can someone help me get Sims 2 working again? My game folders are on my D drive and I have my EA Games folder in documents on C drive. If I click on the exe file on the D drive will it install what it needs to in the program files? Don’t want to mess anything up because there no internet on this desktop.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,585 Member
    I'm sorry I can't help. I have them both on C drive and don't know how to do it any other way. :(

Good luck.
    @Rflong7 Thank you for responding anyway. That was nice of you. :)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I would back-up any progress, saves etc. and then completely reinstall the game. Maybe that will help.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    @SimmerGeorge I do have all that backed up but I don't know how to reinstall the game. That is the problem. When I initially got UC I downloaded from Origin and then installed. I installed it to my D drive, but the game play folder is in my C drive (that is backed up too). I don't remember how I did any of that. Someone techy minded walked me through it.
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @SimmerGeorge I do have all that backed up but I don't know how to reinstall the game. That is the problem. When I initially got UC I downloaded from Origin and then installed. I installed it to my D drive, but the game play folder is in my C drive (that is backed up too). I don't remember how I did any of that. Someone techy minded walked me through it.

@ZeeGee You can uninstall any program by going into your settings and then clicking on "Apps". Once you are there you will see a whole list of Apps you have installed in your computer. If you type The Sims 2 in the search bar it will show you the game. Click on it and then click where is says "uninstall"
    Now once the game is uninstalled you can reinstall it by opening Origin and clicking on the game. It will download and then reinstall the game.
    @SimmerGeorge I don't have Origin anymore. And there is no internet on that desktop. I would like to reinstall from the files I already have. I know I did it once before but can't remember how. If there's no way to do that then I just won't get to play Sims 2 anymore. :*(
    @SimmerGeorge I don't have Origin anymore. And there is no internet on that desktop. I would like to reinstall from the files I already have. I know I did it once before but can't remember how. If there's no way to do that then I just won't get to play Sims 2 anymore. :*(

@ZeeGee Can you not connect to the internet for a short amoung of time or download Origin on another PC that has internet and play there? Reinstalling the game needs a source to take the files from so you either need a CD or Internet. Are you sure you didn't just factory reset the sims 2 files in your documents or just moved the game from one drive to the other? I would love to help you but I need to know the exact location of your files and maybe look into your issue more. Could the person who help you last time help you again?
    I don't remember who helped me last time but she was on this thread and PM'd me. I looked back to find the message but it's gone now. :(

So when I initially installed S2UC, I downloaded from Origin, then deleted Origin and installed Sims 2 to my D drive. I have two folders on my D drive, GAMES and GAMES2. Games 2 has a cache file that's empty. GAMES has this path D: GAMES > The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. Inside that folder are all the EP folders, and two others _Installer and Support. Inside _Installer is a folder named vc and two exe files, cleanup.exe and touchup.exe along with some txt, dat and xml files. There are also exe files in all of the EP folders. When I played Sims 2, it created a folder on my C drive named 'EA Games'. I'm assuming that holds all my game play.

So then I reset and wiped my C drive. I backed up my EA games folder. I did not wipe the D drive. It's exactly the same. Since I thought Sims 2 was installed on the D drive I didn't think this would affect my Sims 2 game but somehow it has because it won't boot anymore. If there's no way to install Sims 2 from the files that I already have, I can install it on my husband's desktop but won't have much opportunity to play as he's on there a lot.

I really appreciate you trying to help. Hopefully there's a solution!
    I don't remember who helped me last time but she was on this thread and PM'd me. I looked back to find the message but it's gone now. :(

So when I initially installed S2UC, I downloaded from Origin, then deleted Origin and installed Sims 2 to my D drive. I have two folders on my D drive, GAMES and GAMES2. Games 2 has a cache file that's empty. GAMES has this path D: GAMES > The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. Inside that folder are all the EP folders, and two others _Installer and Support. Inside _Installer is a folder named vc and two exe files, cleanup.exe and touchup.exe along with some txt, dat and xml files. There are also exe files in all of the EP folders. When I played Sims 2, it created a folder on my C drive named 'EA Games'. I'm assuming that holds all my game play.

So then I reset and wiped my C drive. I backed up my EA games folder. I did not wipe the D drive. It's exactly the same. Since I thought Sims 2 was installed on the D drive I didn't think this would affect my Sims 2 game but somehow it has because it won't boot anymore. If there's no way to install Sims 2 from the files that I already have, I can install it on my husband's desktop but won't have much opportunity to play as he's on there a lot.

I really appreciate you trying to help. Hopefully there's a solution!

So you originally let Origin install the game on its own and then moved the game to the D drive? Usually Origin installs the game on the C Drive by default unless you set it otherwise.
    Yeah if you moved the game to D then I don't see how clearing your C Drive could cause an issue but I am also not sure without actually seeing it since I'm not that much of a tech genius.
    Just a question when you say you downloaded the game through Origin and then deleted Origin what exactly do you mean? Did you uninstall the whole program or did you only delete that little icon on the desktop?
    edited July 2020
    I didn’t install it to C drive and move it. I installed it to the D drive originally. Someone walked me through it. I completely uninstalled Origin from my computer. I don’t remember if it was before or after installing UC.

So there should be a way for me to play because it is all still installed on the D drive, but I can’t figure it out! It may be something as simple as clicking on one of the exe files but I’m scared to do that not knowing what I’m doing. I guess at this point tho, maybe there’s no harm in trying. ETA: famous last words
    I clicked on it and it didn't install. It just said 'sims 2 not installed on this system.'
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need Origin/internet to play if you installed the game through Origin?
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
    edited July 2020
    I didn’t install it to C drive and move it. I installed it to the D drive originally. Someone walked me through it. I completely uninstalled Origin from my computer. I don’t remember if it was before or after installing UC.

So there should be a way for me to play because it is all still installed on the D drive, but I can’t figure it out! It may be something as simple as clicking on one of the exe files but I’m scared to do that not knowing what I’m doing. I guess at this point tho, maybe there’s no harm in trying. ETA: famous last words

I can't really wrap my head around how you could play Sims 2 UC which is an origin game without origin installed. I think you might have had Origin installed but didn't realize it, since when you play offline-only Origin doesn't really open or show itself but it is still used as the launcher in the background. I think by deleting the C drive you might have also deleted Origin and now the game won't launch because it needs Origin to launch it. However I'm sure you know better than me which programs you have installed, so I'm just throwing assumptions out there :smiley:
    So I'm only guessing.

Now, if you want to try and launch the game by using the actual executable file you can go to D :\The Sims 2\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin and double click on the "Sims2EP9.exe" and see what it does.

I happen to have the game installed in my D drive too so my file directory is probably similar to yours.
    @SimmerGeorge It's only recently that Sims 2 got tied to Origin. Before, you could download it, then delete Origin and play. EA has changed that now.

I did try clicking the Sims2EP9.exe file, which used to open the game (I had a shortcut on my desktop) but it doesn't work anymore. It says the game isn't installed. And I went to the folder and clicked the actual file, same thing.

Trust me, Origin was not on my computer. I don't let Origin anywhere near my Sims 3 game cause of that 1.69 patch that tied it to Origin.

I really appreciate you taking the time to troubleshoot with me tho. :)
    edited July 2020
    @ZeeGee Sorry I can't think of anything else. I don't have much experience with playing UC offline since I am almost always online.
    Hmm, I would love to help you somehow but since I can't maybe you can try contacting EA.. you would have to be online but I assume you can do that on another device since you are in the forums right now.
    You can get support from the official EA site and you can choose to do an online text chat which is pretty fast usually.
    You'll get matched up with someone from support, however some of them are better than others so if one can't help I I would recommend trying again 'till you find someone who can hopefully solve the problem.

I hope someone on these forums has an idea if how to help but if you can't find a solution here you can always try out the EA support I mentioned or you could post a thread on Answers HQ. There are many really competent people there.
    Ok thanks. :)
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    If worst comes to worst, you could always reinstall Sims 2 without Origin from this location:
    https://oldgamesdownload.com/the-sims-2-ultimate-collection/
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    @Rouensims Omigosh is that for real?!
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited July 2020
    Yep! I was playing it yesterday. The Sims 2 is considered abandonware, so it seems to be perfectly legal and free. It installed easily on my mid-2015 MacBook Pro, but I understand some people with very new graphics cards have had more trouble. There is still peer support on Answers HQ in case you need it:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-The-Sims-Games/bd-p/other-sims-games-en
    It seems to have all updates incorporated into the download, so it is much easier than trying to install from old discs.

It's only available at that site for Windows, so you will need to use Bootcamp or a similar program if you have a Mac. You can also pay for a Mac version still, but I haven't tried that one so I can't attest to whether or not it works properly.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: