Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Problem with The Sims Spark'd

Comments

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited July 2020
    So the show tried to make Dr Gluon look like a misogynist on the show? That's not good. In fact, it's disgusting of EA. That could tarnish his reputation in the future with regards to his career opportunities. Aren't EA supposed to help their game changers in their careers?
    And now he's getting cyberbullyied? That's inexcusable from a show that was supposed to empower people.
    I hope he stops being a gamechanger after this. Being part of a program that tarnishes your reputation isn't something anyone should be associated with.
    Post edited by bixters on
    edited July 2020
    Scobre wrote: »
    He's not. He is married and has many kids like six and the cutest baby daughter, so funny he is called that when he has had that many kids. Many of his friends including me are girls and of different ethnic backgrounds and sexual preferences. See that's the problem with reality shows is they have to pick someone as a bad guy and of course they go after a customer who isn't apart of their target market of the Sims 4 of being an American female. But I see why he has been getting cyberbullied on Twitter since the show aired. That is like people believing when reality stars tell them to drink hand sanitizers to kill COVID, oh wait they did. Sorry reality shows here are actually reality. Thus why many of the marriages fall apart after them like the ones on TLC.

EA is to blame for any cyberbullying he's receiving. Why on earth anyone would want to be part of a program that manipulates and tarnishes your reputation is beyond me. Making someone look like they're racist, misogynist, or homophobic on TV is no joke and has serious consequences. Gross.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    He's not. He is married and has many kids like six and the cutest baby daughter, so funny he is called that when he has had that many kids. Many of his friends including me are girls and of different ethnic backgrounds and sexual preferences. See that's the problem with reality shows is they have to pick someone as a bad guy and of course they go after a customer who isn't apart of their target market of the Sims 4 of being an American female. But I see why he has been getting cyberbullied on Twitter since the show aired. That is like people believing when reality stars tell them to drink hand sanitizers to kill COVID, oh wait they did. Sorry reality shows here are actually reality. Thus why many of the marriages fall apart after them like the ones on TLC.

EA is to blame for any cyberbullying he's receiving. Why on earth anyone would want to be part of a program that manipulates and tarnishes your reputation is beyond me. Making someone look like they're racist, misogynist, or 🌺🌺🌺🌺 on TV is no joke and has serious consequences. Gross.
    I don't know it upsets me. I told some at Maxis about it too. Thus why I hate our reality TV. Like sure pick on the family man just because he wasn't born in the country and wearing a Fez. It just was edited badly and a few Game Changers agreed on how they painted some people for views after they had watched the show. Sure let's sell our Game Changers for cheap thrills. I am happy to see she stood up for him.

It painted both of them badly and I've watched both their streams and enjoy them quite a bit with their unedited streams.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited July 2020
    I don't know it upsets me. I told some at Maxis about it too. Thus why I hate our reality TV. Like sure pick on the family man just because he wasn't born in the country and wearing a Fez. It just was edited badly and a few Game Changers agreed on how they painted some people for views after they had watched the show. Sure let's sell our Game Changers for cheap thrills. I am happy to see she stood up for him.

It painted both of them badly and I've watched both their streams and enjoy them quite a bit with their unedited streams.

I'm glad she stood up for him too! I'm sure they're both great people.
    I thought this show would be empowering to gamechangers, not mess up their reputation. Considering all the work the GCs do to advertise the game for them, you'd think Maxis/ EA would be able to keep something like this from happening. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people leave the GC program after this.
  • SaltyCarameloSaltyCaramelo Posts: 5 New Member
    > @bixters said:
    > So the show tried to make Dr Gluon look like a misogynist on the show? That's not good. In fact, it's disgusting of EA. That could tarnish his reputation in the future with regards to his career opportunities. Aren't EA supposed to help their game changers in their careers?
    > And now he's getting cyberbullyied? That's inexcusable from a show that was supposed to empower people.
    > I hope he stops being a gamechanger after this. Being part of a program that tarnishes your reputation isn't something anyone should be associated with.

It just is what it is i'm afraid, television in general do be about that drama. And whereas I agree, nobody should put up with something like this, the truth is, that's what reality television shows are about. Anyone signing themselves up for a reality show should know what they are actually signing up for.

"Reality television has faced significant criticism since its rise in popularity. Critics argue that reality television shows do not accurately reflect reality, in ways both implicit (participants being placed in artificial situations), and deceptive (misleading editing, participants being coached on behavior, storylines generated ahead of time, scenes being staged). Some shows have been accused of rigging the favorite or underdog to win. Other criticisms of reality television shows include that they are intended to humiliate or exploit participants; that they make stars out of untalented people unworthy of fame, infamous figures, or both; and that they glamorize vulgarity."

"The authenticity of reality television is often called into question by its detractors. The genre's title of "reality" is often criticized as being inaccurate because of claims that the genre frequently includes elements such as premeditated scripting (including a practice called "soft-scripting"), acting, urgings from behind-the-scenes crew to create specified situations of adversity and drama, and misleading editing. It has often been described as "scripting without paper". "

"In many cases, the entire premise of the show is contrived, based around a competition or another unusual situation. Some shows have been accused of using fakery in order to create more compelling television, such as having premeditated storylines and in some cases feeding participants lines of dialogue, focusing only on participants' most outlandish behavior, and altering events through editing and re-shoots."

Taken literally from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_television
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I think people are being waaay too harsh to the show.

@WolfNate again it's not only about the show's quality. It's about why it exists and what effect it might have or already has on the game it self.
    It's also a good insight on what the devs think about the game. Sometimes I do try to understand why they decide on certain concepts for packs and why the features are many times not very fleshed out. And I think it does have to do with them seeing the game as more of a puppet show/movie maker than a life simulator.
    There is nothing wrong with making movies with the Sims and playing with a script. I used to do that a lot too and it's fun. But I would be disappointed if the game was designed to only be a movie making tool because this is not what the game had been all this time.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • CemirrorCemirror Posts: 61 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I think people are being waaay too harsh to the show.

@WolfNate again it's not only about the show's quality. It's about why it exists and what effect it might have or already has on the game it self.
    It's also a good insight on what the devs think about the game. Sometimes I do try to understand why they decide on certain concepts for packs and why the features are many times not very fleshed out. And I think it does have to do with them seeing the game as more of a puppet show/movie maker than a life simulator.
    There is nothing wrong with making movies with the Sims and playing with a script. I used to do that a lot too and it's fun. But I would be disappointed if the game was designed to only be a movie making tool because this is not what the game had been all this time.

Yes. 100%. The GameChangers do not look like they're having a great time and at heart they're really just simmers like us with a platform. There's a couple moments in the show where you just feel genuinely bad for the GameChangers, like when the storytellers really got slammed for *how* they told the story, nerves and all.

The Sims doesn't need to worry about competition. It needs to worry about the erasure of black folks through a lack of representation of skin-tones and hair. It needs to worry about the erasure of LGBTQ+ AND straight people through refusing to have an attraction system. It needs to worry about ageism in its intense neglect for child stages, teen stages, and the elder stage. It needs to worry about the messages it sends about death and conflict and mourning and fear (that experiencing them should not be discussed). The Sims needs to worry about the plethora of people playing who struggle with mental health and need encouragement.

The Sims needs to worry about *life*. About trying to live the life you want to have and emboldening their players to have compassion and fortitude. The Sims has taught me so much about the way architecture reflects our values and paying attention to what people's appearance says about what's inside. It's taught me more about other cultures and time periods. Why can't the Sims focus on being a tool to educate us and encourage us to love the people around us?
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Having no fun is a bit of a stretch...
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
    Cemirror wrote: »

The Sims needs to worry about *life*. About trying to live the life you want to have and emboldening their players to have compassion and fortitude. The Sims has taught me so much about the way architecture reflects our values and paying attention to what people's appearance says about what's inside. It's taught me more about other cultures and time periods. Why can't the Sims focus on being a tool to educate us and encourage us to love the people around us?

Oh my god I almost cried when I read that because people always questioned me about being empathetic with all kinds of people, even people that nobody likes because they come off as mean or arrogant. But The Sims taught me otherwise. Especially playing the Sims 2 I found out that even the Sims with "evil" plans like Dina Caliente were just human like the rest of us and were acting that way because they didn't know how react to the emptiness they felt inside. Families like the Pleasants taught me that nobody is perfect and we shouldn't envy people because we think they have the perfect life. We don't know what happens behind the scenes. Lilith pleasant taught me that someone that looks mean and dangerous could really be the kindest person ever.
    I was so young but I had already learned so much about the world just by playing a life simulating video game. I think because the game simulated life in such a good way (even if it was exaggerated, it worked so well) I actually felt like I could deal with anything life threw my way. Even things like death, burglars, fights didn't cause anxiety for me. In fact the game taught me that negative experiences are normal in life and that no matter how hard I can learn to deal with them.

This is what the game means to me and this is why I would never see it as a competition or as a movie making tool or as a thing that can be critiqued and undestood so vaguely. I hope the Sims Team doesn't forget that.
  • SaltyCarameloSaltyCaramelo Posts: 5 New Member
    > @SimmerGeorge said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > @WolfNate again it's not only about the show's quality. It's about why it exists and what effect it might have or already has on the game it self.
    > It's also a good insight on what the devs think about the game. Sometimes I do try to understand why they decide on certain concepts for packs and why the features are many times not very fleshed out. And I think it does have to do with them seeing the game as more of a puppet show/movie maker than a life simulator.
    > There is nothing wrong with making movies with the Sims and playing with a script. I used to do that a lot too and it's fun. But I would be disappointed if the game was designed to only be a movie making tool because this is not what the game had been all this time.

I found this video last night, it's apparently from 2018 but was uploaded last month, the guy is a MAXIS Studio Creative Director and the video emphasizes on how The Sims has become a storytelling engine, so it's definitely something they have in mind.

Quite an interesting watch: https://youtu.be/YjuOSgPdtS0

(So annoying I can't quote or post a link properly lol)
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    @Scobre wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think one purpose of the show is to pique the interest of those who are not as familiar with the game as we are. You're not going to see hour long builds but just maybe you'll be interested enough to check out what the contestants normally do in their build videos and Let's Plays.

The game is not about crating a character, building a set and making a movie in the shortest time possible. If you were not familiar with the game would you be interested to play a game like that?
    But it actually was designed to be like that.
    https://venturebeat.com/2014/09/19/how-entertainment-and-life-gives-life-to-the-sims/

"It’s less of a life simulation but more a game about drama.”

One sentence from this article piqued my interest. I'm just highlighting it below:

'Franklin noted that this is a game that relies on little to no consulting with behavioral professionals...'

And this is exactly where it went wrong.
    edited July 2020
    @Scobre wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think one purpose of the show is to pique the interest of those who are not as familiar with the game as we are. You're not going to see hour long builds but just maybe you'll be interested enough to check out what the contestants normally do in their build videos and Let's Plays.

The game is not about crating a character, building a set and making a movie in the shortest time possible. If you were not familiar with the game would you be interested to play a game like that?
    But it actually was designed to be like that.
    https://venturebeat.com/2014/09/19/how-entertainment-and-life-gives-life-to-the-sims/

"It’s less of a life simulation but more a game about drama.”

One sentence from this article piqued my interest. I'm just highlighting it below:

'Franklin noted that this is a game that relies on little to no consulting with behavioral professionals...'

And this is exactly where it went wrong.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Oh my god this is interesting information. It all makes sense now.

You know how Will Wright was obsessed with reading about psychology and behavioural theories? Yeah exactly that was the reason why The Sims made players feel connected to the Sims themselves. Then in the Sims 2 the developers really expanded on that and added tons of features that were based on psychological findings.
    Best examples: wants and fears, aspirations, mental breakdowns, memories and biographies, short-term and long-term effects on relationships, developemental theories that they used to design the life-stages, systemical theories they used in family gameplay (though not very detailed) etc.

I don't think The Sims 4 developers actively wanted to create a game that was just a movie making tool, I think they tried to implement psychology in the game but they didn't know how because they didn't know enough or didn't hire proffesionals but they tried. They wouldn't have made the emotions system such a big part of the game otherwise. I think once they realized they failed in that particular part of the game they started taking the attention away from that and advertising the game in a different way.

This is interesting I might start a thread in the feedback section about psychology in the sims. I just have to go back and identify all the theories they used in previous games.
    edited July 2020
    @bixters wrote: »
    So the show tried to make Dr Gluon look like a misogynist on the show? That's not good. In fact, it's disgusting of EA. That could tarnish his reputation in the future with regards to his career opportunities. Aren't EA supposed to help their game changers in their careers?
    And now he's getting cyberbullyied? That's inexcusable from a show that was supposed to empower people.
    I hope he stops being a gamechanger after this. Being part of a program that tarnishes your reputation isn't something anyone should be associated with.

I'm not sure if you watched the full episode? I did watch it. I didn't get the feeling the show was trying to make Dr Gluon look like a misogynist. If that's what the audience decides to see, there's something really 🐸🐸🐸🐸 wrong with people.

In saying that, I felt most of the GC's were presented as equally awkward, but it's a reality show. They're designed that way. An audience is only really interested in the shots where the contestant looks the most awkward, confused or emotional. I work with TV Editors. It's not really about the story, it's about the quantity of fights or tears that can fill up an episode. The more the better. It makes for a happier audience. It makes an audience feel better about themselves. As long as someone else has it worse than them.
    Directors push editors for that.

If the participants did any research into how and why reality shows are produced, they should have known that they're not going to look charming all the way through. But they want to be popular. They think of the glamorous aspect of being on TV. They just want to go that little bit beyond Youtube or Twitch or whatever their platform is. They’ve come so far. American TV. Bling Bling, Ka-Ching!

I understand why. I believe these Game Changers started off as very insecure people. Looking at them on the show, I see that inconfidence still burning in their eyes. It kinda breaks my heart to see it. I feel sad for them. But this-maybe unknowingly- is what they signed up for.

Unfortunately some audience members prey on the insecurity of others and decide to put a different name on it. Misogynist or whatever is popular these days. Anything to give a guy a 'slap on the wrist'. So they use it to bully or threaten people. It’s absolutely horrendous.

That’s why I despise these kind of shows. They open up an opportunity for the audience to either praise to the heavens, or totally knock someone’s confidence and career into the ground.

The other popular Game Changers would have understood that. So they decided not to join the madness and instead, keep to their own, secure platform. Very wise. Very wise indeed.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited July 2020
    For my part I thought that Dr Gluon looked a bit anxious and overpowered by two over-emotive females. Just my opinion though! In fact I wanted to see more of him. I would have loved to see what an all male team could have come up with.

Post edited by Simburian on
    edited July 2020
    @Simburian wrote: »
    I would have loved to see what an all male team could have come up with.

There's one simple answer to that:

They'd be so fantastic they'd win the show! That's why there's only two of 'em...

I'm just messing folks. Girls are OK too. :p
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    EA is to blame for any cyberbullying he's receiving. Why on earth anyone would want to be part of a program that manipulates and tarnishes your reputation is beyond me. Making someone look like they're racist, misogynist, or 🌺🌺🌺🌺 on TV is no joke and has serious consequences. Gross.

Especially with "cancel culture" nowadays is just another name for witchhunts. A blind angry mob aiming to end anyone who doesnt agree with their viewpoint. A very dangerous mindset.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
    edited July 2020
    I The Sims doesn't need to worry about competition. It needs to worry about the erasure of black folks through a lack of representation of skin-tones and hair. It needs to worry about the erasure of LGBTQ+ AND straight people through refusing to have an attraction system. It needs to worry about ageism in its intense neglect for child stages, teen stages, and the elder stage. It needs to worry about the messages it sends about death and conflict and mourning and fear (that experiencing them should not be discussed). The Sims needs to worry about the plethora of people playing who struggle with mental health and need encouragement.

I dont think The Sims needs to worry about any of that, thats why the identity of the sims is so lost now, bending to the political, public opinion, or fad of the week. Its not a force to teach people how to act, behave, think or respond to anything like that. It should be like a dollhouse giving US the tools to decide how to play. The Sims just needs to be a good game, period. The Sims 2 had an attraction system without fans *needing* it to be in their game so people can feel 'included'. The sims has taught me nothing about race, age, death, fear or any of that because its just a GAME. When people make it more than that, people start getting too sensitive about what should or shouldnt be included (depending on their own moral compass), everything gets political or a touchy subject, and instead of making a fun game the company focuses on how to keep every passing movement happy - because thats how they hold onto their $$$.

The Sims needs to add consequences, more customization, memories, personalities and flaws, etc but not to teach me anything -- just to make a solid, in depth GAME.

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I didn't get the feeling the show was trying to make Dr Gluon look like a misogynist. If that's what the audience decides to see, there's something really 🌺🌺🌺🌺 wrong with people.

I absolutely agree. From what I saw, there was a slight clash of personalities or perhaps they didn’t work well together because their ideas were too far apart. I saw no evidence that gender had anything to do with it. In fact, he worked well with Dawn (SimLicy) from what we saw.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I The Sims doesn't need to worry about competition. It needs to worry about the erasure of black folks through a lack of representation of skin-tones and hair. It needs to worry about the erasure of LGBTQ+ AND straight people through refusing to have an attraction system. It needs to worry about ageism in its intense neglect for child stages, teen stages, and the elder stage. It needs to worry about the messages it sends about death and conflict and mourning and fear (that experiencing them should not be discussed). The Sims needs to worry about the plethora of people playing who struggle with mental health and need encouragement.

I dont think The Sims needs to worry about any of that, thats why the identity of the sims is so lost now, bending to the political, public opinion, or fad of the week. Its not a force to teach people how to act, behave, think or respond to anything like that. It should be like a dollhouse giving US the tools to decide how to play. The Sims just needs to be a good game, period. The Sims 2 had an attraction system without fans *needing* it to be in their game so people can feel 'included'. The sims has taught me nothing about race, age, death, fear or any of that because its just a GAME. When people make it more than that, people start getting too sensitive about what should or shouldnt be included (depending on their own moral compass), everything gets political or a touchy subject, and instead of making a fun game the company focuses on how to keep every passing movement happy - because thats how they hold onto their $$$.

The Sims needs to add consequences, more customization, memories, personalities and flaws, etc but not to teach me anything -- just to make a solid, in depth GAME.

Yes! 👏
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    People getting mad over Dr Gluon just makes me sad. So many people think they know a person just because they see a edited video showcasing someone and can judge them based on that.

Ask yourself this, do you even know Dr Gluon's real name? No? Then how exactly do you know the person?
    edited July 2020

@StrawberryYogurt Well the Sims 2 did all that and also managed to teach me something. I think you are mistaking teaching with lecturing.
    I think the inclusion of everything that happens in life should be in it. And that also means death, burglars and everything some people see as "too negative" or "anxiety inducing". But if an object or a feature triggers your anxiety then you should go to a therapist about that and not preach to get the features removed from the game. Other people enjoy playing with those features cause it is just a game afterall.

Also yeah I think we have gotten a little off-topic here.

@StrawberryYogurt Well the Sims 2 did all that and also managed to teach me something. I think you are mistaking teaching with lecturing.
    I think the inclusion of everything that happens in life should be in it. And that also means death, burglars and everything some people see as "too negative" or "anxiety inducing". But if an object or a feature triggers your anxiety then you should go to a therapist about that and not preach to get the features removed from the game. Other people enjoy playing with those features cause it is just a game afterall.

Also yeah I think we have gotten a little off-topic here.

Yeah, the Sims 2 did none of that for me 🤔 I just had fun putting sims on fire, maybe I needed a therapist 😂😂😂 Funnily enough, at least the sims did give you a therapist when you had a mental breakdown!

Funnily enough, at least the sims did give you a therapist when you had a mental breakdown!

Hey now. Easy there tiger.
    edited July 2020
    Funnily enough, at least the sims did give you a therapist when you had a mental breakdown!

Im talking about this guy!
    256?cb=20150705101611

I'll never forget his inspiring words, "Dag dag." Truly touching :'(

Im talking about this guy!

I'll never forget his inspiring words, "Dag dag." Truly touching :'(

Ah! :D
    With 'you had a mental breakdown' you meant the sim in the game? Not the simmer.
    I get it.

Don't mind me!

I sometimes get confused when folks refer to 'you' and 'me' when they're actually talking about their sim.

You know when someone says: 'I just gave birth to my 12th baby while my husband was on fire.'

I get confused...