Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Problem with The Sims Spark'd

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited July 2020
    Well I watched it on Buzzfeed Multiplayer...

I think the gamechangers did a good job of keeping it entertaining, if anything I felt that the hosts expected too much of the game. They wanted them to come up with interesting stories in a game where there is no drama or consequences.

I think they should have focused on build mode and CAS much more, there is a reason many gamechangers are doing build challenges instead of trying to create stories in the sims4. They seemed to base everything on the story, so the GameChanger that was in charge of the story got judged a lot.

I also liked that when they tried to create drama among the gamechangers, they helped each other instead.

As for the judges, I think Tayla and David (simguruninja) did a good job.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    @logion wrote: »

I think the gamechangers did a good job of keeping it entertaining, if anything I felt that the hosts expected too much of the game. They wanted them to come up with interesting stories in a game where there is no drama or consequences.

I have to disagree with you on that part. I believe there are two ways of telling a story within TS4.
    1. The kind of storytelling that was challenged in the show, is the kind where you write the script first, followed by filming and the final edit. The game is used as a film-maker/ machinima tool. In a way it’s safe, because it’s entirely up to the creators to make up and play out the narrative. Like a child would with a dollhouse or a filmmaker directing a film.
    2. The kind of storytelling that you mention above, was not being challenged in the show, because it means you have to leave the storytelling up to the game’s ai. Very risky and time consuming. The creators would have little to no input and trying to tell a story while waiting for in-game simulated drama and consequences (that do not really exist) is impossible within such a limited amount of time.
    edited July 2020

I have to disagree with you on that part. I believe there are two ways of telling a story within TS4.
    1. The kind of storytelling that was challenged in the show, is the kind where you write the script first, followed by filming and the final edit. The game is used as a film-maker/ machinima tool. In a way it’s safe, because it’s entirely up to the creators to make up and play out the narrative. Like a child would with a dollhouse or a filmmaker directing a film.
    2. The kind of storytelling that you mention above, was not being challenged in the show, because it means you have to leave the storytelling up to the game’s ai. Very risky and time consuming. The creators would have little to no input and trying to tell a story while waiting for in-game simulated drama and consequences (that do not really exist) is impossible within such a limited amount of time.

I guess, I just don't think the sims4 is very well built for it... we have had so many people here on the forums complaining that the sims4 has no consequences when they are playing, and now we have a competition where they have to take what the game offers and make a machinima of it.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    The only thing I was kind of hoping would happen is like if they gave them challenges to do with the actual Sims gameplay and on a limited amount of time and then something unexpected would happen like a fire breaking out. But yeah I think they went for the machinima-like Sims movies 'cause they knew ain't nothing interesting going to happen otherwise.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited July 2020

I guess, I just don't think the sims4 is very well built for it... we have had so many people here on the forums complaining that the sims4 has no consequences when they are playing, and now we have a competition where they have to take what the game offers and make a machinima of it.

I agree that the TS4 is not a well built simulation game when it comes to personality, relationships and conflict. The AI mechanics just don’t work as well as they should for a game of its kind. Especially with predecessors that seem to handle those mechanics much better. This is the biggest flaw TS4 has. The sims are not the sims. I’m one of those folks who complain about it.

But as a builder/CAS and Machinima tool it’s actually built pretty ok. The animations and emotions are there if you direct the actors to do what you want. Challenging, maybe, because they’re only virtual actors. But still, In the show all the things that do work is what they’ll use to their advantage.
    The only thing I was kind of hoping would happen is like if they gave them challenges to do with the actual Sims gameplay and on a limited amount of time and then something unexpected would happen like a fire breaking out. But yeah I think they went for the machinima-like Sims movies 'cause they knew ain't nothing interesting going to happen otherwise.

Indeed, the very thing we want to see is probably the kinda thing we won’t see!
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I love reality contests shows long as the theme is fun (man I wish that murder mystery reality show had a second season sigh...) but I don't see why evryone is complaining what you expected to see live play of every contestant for an hour? Then go watch a twitch stream...
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • GitaGita Posts: 108 Member
    I would have liked it more when the contestants could show us what they really can. Instead of making a half finished story ( because they don't get enough time) Let them do an in-game challenge. " who's sim earns the most money within a certain period of time", or who's sim gets the most romantic relationships, or children or whatever, that kind of things. Something where they really need to play the game for. This competition is a disgrace and an insult to the contestants. They deserve better.
    edited July 2020
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I love reality contests shows long as the theme is fun (man I wish that murder mystery reality show had a second season sigh...) but I don't see why evryone is complaining what you expected to see live play of every contestant for an hour? Then go watch a twitch stream...

But you know, this is what E-Sports normally is. It's people playing the actual game. And I'm only bringing E-Sports in the discussion because they mentioned it in every single promotional article I read about this show (I actually have other stuff to do but I'm always procrastinating and maybe I should do something for my exam :P)
    Also they mentioned wanting the game to find new audience but if this show is a marketing move to gain more players then why not show more of the actual gameplay? Do they really want to market the game as a movie making game? Is this where the Sims is heading towards?

And all this judging other people's creations as if there was a right or wrong in the Sims really turns me off personally.
    There is a "correct" way to sing, it's what they teach in singing lessons, there is a correct way to "dance" again see dance lessons but since when is there a correct way to "play"?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    I think one purpose of the show is to pique the interest of those who are not as familiar with the game as we are. You're not going to see hour long builds but just maybe you'll be interested enough to check out what the contestants normally do in their build videos and Let's Plays.

The game is not about crating a character, building a set and making a movie in the shortest time possible. If you were not familiar with the game would you be interested to play a game like that?
    edited July 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think one purpose of the show is to pique the interest of those who are not as familiar with the game as we are. You're not going to see hour long builds but just maybe you'll be interested enough to check out what the contestants normally do in their build videos and Let's Plays.

The game is not about crating a character, building a set and making a movie in the shortest time possible. If you were not familiar with the game would you be interested to play a game like that?

Oh yeah this is actually really true. The Sims Spark'd is marketing it as this stressful, intense,
    timely limited experience when the game is the exact opposite of that. That's why people love it after all cause the game is none of those things the Sims Spark'd is making it be.
    edited July 2020
    Also they mentioned wanting the game to find new audience but if this show is a marketing move to gain more players then why not show more of the actual gameplay? Do they really want to market the game as a movie making game? Is this where the Sims is heading towards?

It’s interesting that you mention this, because I’ve been getting suspicious about it after watching the show. Are we just about getting enough tools to make a movie or take pretty screenshots? Is this why we can’t find any personalities and conflict in-game (outside of bugs) because it’s just not tuned for that? Is playing with nicely animated Barbies the new and only direction (Ken doesn’t have body hair either..does he now?!!)

Maybe the Sims 5 will be called The Movies. No wait, that game already exists. What’s going on?
    (I actually have other stuff to do but I'm always procrastinating and maybe I should do something for my exam :P)

Best of Luck with your exam! B)
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited July 2020
    I've never gave so many insightfuls
    @telmarina wrote: »

If only the poor Sims were as smart as the folks around here. B)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Potsae wrote: »
    Game fanbase is mostly female. Would show based on mostly male activity had one female everyone would act like it's a holy cow of representation. But the moment females have something for themselves (and not because they shut down males, but because they're intrested in it more than males) people act like it almost criminal. What is painful? Most of the shows, especially old ones, have like one female for all the main cast.

...I'm just saying couldn't they find 6 boys and 6 girls?

@WolfNate Pixelade already mentioned that he declined and I'm guessing James Turner was asked too but also declined. I think they couldn't find any other "popular" male Sims Gamers 'cause there aren't a lot of them.
    There are actually quite a number on Twitch and Youtube. CaptainSauce is very popular. One of the male Simmers I met on forums is streaming now and I am so proud of them. I noticed they tend not to pick a lot of guys for the game changer program, so could be why they were only picking from that limited pool of people for the first season being that most are women.

According to the New York Times article on Sparked Challenges, the main fan base consists of young lesbians. Might be the reason why they selected so few male game changers to participate.

The New York Times is really going downhill fast from what I have been reading lately. How did the NYT know that/if the females were lesbians, or if they were at all? Did it matter if they were (or if they weren't)? Did Donald Trump do the review or a bored gameplayer of Grand theft Auto 5? We must be told (I don't subscribe myself) :D

I've just watched on Buzzfeed. I just hope they show more of the building, CAS and creating the stories next time. There was too much of the game-changers and their emotions for my liking. I'm not really interested in them as I don't watch many game-changer videos. I really don't think the team element works for me. The males looked a bit overwhelmed by the females! Kudos to them having a go though!

As a Pilot show it was ok. Maybe it could be a bit slower and less frenetic and "Got Talent" in future episodes and a table for the judging panel? They might look more comfortable behind one. The whole show looked like it was taking place in an EA building entrance hall!

I did watch through to the end though and enjoyed it. It needs a lot of work to make it less frenetic, as I said before but it could be a good show in time if we get some new Simmers playing. This lot were too worried about losing their fans I thought.

Just my opinion though. <3

They interviewed Lindsey Pearson, I think she supplied the information.

Surely Lindsay Pearson wouldn't have said they were all lesbians? :#

But you know, this is what E-Sports normally is. It's people playing the actual game. And I'm only bringing E-Sports in the discussion because they mentioned it in every single promotional article I read about this show (I actually have other stuff to do but I'm always procrastinating and maybe I should do something for my exam :P)

Maybe? I mean, this is kinda what Andrew Wilson talked about last year when he wanted to bring social interaction and competition to the sims.

But I can't really see the sims4 become an esport, I have hard time seeing how you are supposed to host matches and make it entertaining.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    Game fanbase is mostly female. Would show based on mostly male activity had one female everyone would act like it's a holy cow of representation. But the moment females have something for themselves (and not because they shut down males, but because they're intrested in it more than males) people act like it almost criminal. What is painful? Most of the shows, especially old ones, have like one female for all the main cast.

@WolfNate Pixelade already mentioned that he declined and I'm guessing James Turner was asked too but also declined. I think they couldn't find any other "popular" male Sims Gamers 'cause there aren't a lot of them.
    There are actually quite a number on Twitch and Youtube. CaptainSauce is very popular. One of the male Simmers I met on forums is streaming now and I am so proud of them. I noticed they tend not to pick a lot of guys for the game changer program, so could be why they were only picking from that limited pool of people for the first season being that most are women.

According to the New York Times article on Sparked Challenges, the main fan base consists of young lesbians. Might be the reason why they selected so few male game changers to participate.

The New York Times is really going downhill fast from what I have been reading lately. How did the NYT know that/if the females were lesbians, or if they were at all? Did it matter if they were (or if they weren't)? Did Donald Trump do the review or a bored gameplayer of Grand theft Auto 5? We must be told (I don't subscribe myself) :D

I've just watched on Buzzfeed. I just hope they show more of the building, CAS and creating the stories next time. There was too much of the game-changers and their emotions for my liking. I'm not really interested in them as I don't watch many game-changer videos. I really don't think the team element works for me. The males looked a bit overwhelmed by the females! Kudos to them having a go though!

As a Pilot show it was ok. Maybe it could be a bit slower and less frenetic and "Got Talent" in future episodes and a table for the judging panel? They might look more comfortable behind one. The whole show looked like it was taking place in an EA building entrance hall!

I did watch through to the end though and enjoyed it. It needs a lot of work to make it less frenetic, as I said before but it could be a good show in time if we get some new Simmers playing. This lot were too worried about losing their fans I thought.

Just my opinion though. <3

They interviewed Lindsey Pearson, I think she supplied the information.

Surely Lindsay Pearson wouldn't have said they were all lesbians? :#

Not all of them. But they said that two thirds of players consist of young females. And the whole article is about how inclusive the game is to the LGBT community with an emphasis on females. You can read it for yourself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/15/arts/television/sims-sparkd-reality-tbs.html
  • OrangeSodaSINOrangeSodaSIN Posts: 58 Member
    telmarina wrote: »

isn't insightful the lesser of good and awesome?
    Um you know when you qoute somebody with previous qoutes it also pings me... But on topic I like the show have no issues
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2020

But it actually was designed to be like that.
    https://venturebeat.com/2014/09/19/how-entertainment-and-life-gives-life-to-the-sims/

"It’s less of a life simulation but more a game about drama.”

“We want players to imbue a sense of importance. Create-a-Sim in Sims 4 just became all the more important. …” Bradshaw said. “You can choose traits that reflect real stories, like coming out of the closet or the death of a family member.”

“We want to explore all these different facets of life, but it’s still game. … You should have a satisfying journey, but it should still be fun.”

So the show reflects the game quite well with CAS, building a set, and making a movie. Game is the easiest iteration too, so having it done in the shortest time possible with the easiest building and CAS should be manageable for Youtubers that do exactly that for a living. It is not like they are asking new Simmers to compete.

I also prefer Machinima movies over Let's Plays. Remi is one of the best storytellers out there.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

Is he a GameChanger though? Because I do think they prioritized GameChangers first. Or maybe people like CaptainSauce and GrayStillPlays declined since they like playng other game too and being on a TV show just for The Sims is different than playing the game on your channel every now and then.
    I don't know any Twitchers so I can't answer that.
    Nope. Probably why they didn't pick LGR either. There are actually Youtubers that have more followers than any of the Game Changers. But yes I prefer variety gamers which many of the Game Changers are too. James for example plays Minecraft and Stardew Valley really well with DrGluon.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

I have nothing against girls we do need to make boys and girls able to do anything. But you wanna see girls in your media I wanna see guys I root for women in reality contests I root for men (not so much in Sims Sparked cuz Glueon annoys me and not for the editing making him come across as misogynist) but I just wanna see more guys in the sims it seems most people think only gay women or straight women play this which annoys me..
    edited July 2020

I have nothing against girls we do need to make boys and girls able to do anything. But you wanna see girls in your media I wanna see guys I root for women in reality contests I root for men (not so much in Sims Sparked cuz Glueon annoys me and not for the editing making him come across as misogynist) but I just wanna see more guys in the sims it seems most people think only gay women or straight women play this which annoys me..
    He's not. He is married and has many kids like six and the cutest baby daughter, so funny he is called that when he has had that many kids. Many of his friends including me are girls and of different ethnic backgrounds and sexual preferences. See that's the problem with reality shows is they have to pick someone as a bad guy and of course they go after a customer who isn't apart of their target market of the Sims 4 of being an American female. But I see why he has been getting cyberbullied on Twitter since the show aired. That is like people believing when reality stars tell them to drink hand sanitizers to kill COVID, oh wait they did. Sorry reality shows here are actually reality. Thus why many of the marriages fall apart after them like the ones on TLC.
    Post edited by Scobre on
  • SpunkySimsSpunkySims Posts: 1 New Member
    The whole concept of the show is ridiculous. The contestants are a joke. The fact that they are trying to make the Sims a "competitive" game is asinine. All around awful.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
    isn't insightful the lesser of good and awesome?
    They're much rarely given, so I always saw them as the most valuable point.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    I think people are being waaay too harsh to the show.