Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The spirit of creativity is lacking in Sims 4

In the other 3 games, (especially in 3) there was this wonderful feeling of being able to create whatever you wanted. Worlds, sims etc.. that’s why I fell in love with it. Sims 4 is so limiting, and lack luster. Blah!

Furthermore, it’s been going longer than any other Sims game yet, like 6 years now? The others only took 4 or 5 years, what’s the deal with that? Anyway, sorry, just needed to vent.

Comments

• Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I feel the creativity for creation is great in ts4. Creativity in gameplay however is severely lacking. Don’t think this will change, unless they significantly revamp emotion, trait and aspirations. I doubt they will.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    For myself, there are a few things that Sims 4 did really improve with, especially with the building part. But I do agree with you about the limit of creativity. The one thing I really miss that was in Sims 3 both in CAS and Build was the color wheel. I don't know the reason why they didn't at least continue with that. Another thing I miss that was both in Sims 2 and 3 that number 4 doesn't have, is the ability to build our own world. In Sims 2 we had the freedom to at least place lots where we wanted, and the same for 3, along with actually building whole new towns in both games. That was something I truly attempted but failed miserably at, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the beautiful worlds that others shared with the community. But one thing I really love about Sims 4 is the ability to easily move a household to a whole new town without the aid of mods.

If it were not for my computer and the issues it has with Sims 3, I would be playing it. As it is now I just can't get myself motivated to even play Sims 4 since my game was struck by the gardening bug.
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    Sims 4 is limited in that regard and it will not change but oh well...

My gripes:

I want to be able to create my own party events, my own festivals, my own styled looks and see other peoples creations with it. Beeing able to download styled looks from the gallery or

And if i want a coffee with a bowling alley lot, that only kids with a formal wear dress code can go to then let me have it in gameplay...

just really want to decide how i populate a world.
    It was easier to create fro example an alien inspired WORLD, not this tiny neigbours where you have to always travel between locations.
    It was easier to get lunar lakes from the store and just have alien sims in there without eliza pancakes walking down the streets.
    That freedom is lost in the sims 4. though we did got a glimse of it in get together and seasons.

I dont know... capitalism?! She said its a disease...

I

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2020
    I miss seeing my Sims ride around the whole neighborhood with no loading screen and watching them actually go into school and buildings. I also miss carpools and taxis. This teleportation at the edge of the screen has gotten old.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I miss seeing my Sims ride around the whole neighborhood with no loading screen and watching them actually go into school and buildings. I also miss carpools and taxis. This teleportation at the edge of the screen has gotten old.

Isn't that where it stopped? At the front door of the building? Gameplay and fun happens on a lot, not in a rabbit hole and having all gameplay on the home lot makes open neighbourhood redundant.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited July 2020
    @crocobaura For some things, yes. But most of the lots that are open in TS4 were also open in TS3 like gyms, museums, libraries, bars... And no loading screens. Alongside, TS3 had rabbitholes like the cinema and the supermarket but we don't have those in TS4 anyway.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Whether a neighbourhood is open or not has nothing to do with creativity IMO.

I do find TS4 to be lacking in tools to customize the neighbourhood though, which limits my world creativity. However, for the sims themselves and build mode, despite not having a colour wheel or create-a-style, I find that TS4 makes it easier for me to actually be more creative than in the past. Because I am building more, I am bulldozing more (all, haha) of the pre-made lots and putting my own in does make it feel different and more of my own.

I'd love a create a world for TS4. It'd be fun to pick my world size, the climate, road layouts and lot sizes and placements. Maybe for TS5.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    @Duvelina Museums and libraries are so much fun. :lol: I remeber I used to send my sims to the library to use the computer, it was nice and quiet. The bars were also nice and quiet, because everyone else was somewhere else, and often they were even closed. The cinema was a sad experience, I remember sitting outside waiting for my sim to exit from a concert, checking the progress bar, looking around, watching other sims go by while my sim was occupied. Oh, the fun! The supermarket was such a big building for such a small interaction and useless too since you could buy directly from the fridge. The downgrade in gameplay from TS2 was quite a shock.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited July 2020
    @crocobaura I don't get your point. We were talking about rabbitholes not being fun and now we're talking about how fun these open lots are? That wasn't the point. Open world can be fun if done right, with an amount of people showing up at your lot. Open world doesn't mean the exact same as in TS3.
  • Options
    Duvelina wrote: »
    @crocobaura I don't get your point. We were talking about rabbitholes not being fun and now we're talking about how fun these open lots are? That wasn't the point. Open world can be fun if done right, with an amount of people showing up at your lot. Open world doesn't mean the exact same as in TS3.

@Duvelina I am all for open world as long as we can still have open lots. Open lots are fun, rabbit holes aren't. If they can deliver that, fine, if not I expect gameplay with open lots. That's my opinion on how devoid of fun rabbit holes are.
  • Options
    daisy1989daisy1989 Posts: 87 Member
    Disagree in part

You only need to go on YouTube to see how amazingly creative people are with CAS and build/buy modes

Gameplay is limited but there are things you can do to add creative flair (challenges etc)
    Check out my YouTube channel @ DaisySims
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    It is lacking some tools but i cannot personally say it is so lacking because i rarely used create a world tool for example. I was never into that and rarely did i download worlds but i hope they bring this tool back for those who loved it. What i really miss is CAP and CAST, and having at least a color wheel, the lack of that is kinda limiting for me personally.

As for the lifespan of ts4, they said they want it to last even further than that, they have more plans for its content. Cant wait to know what they are! They might bring some of what you miss back.
  • Options
    PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member
    I totally agree with you.
    Even Create-a-Style alone helps so much with creativity! Suddenly it's possible to make the simplest of items fit any bizzare idea you have instead of choosing between 1.5 objects that at least fit the color theme. See that shelf? Is it from expensive wood? From cheap plastic? From gnome-underground-fantasy metal? From gold?! And worlds! I sometimes have fun just thinking of what worlds it is possible to create. Also hotels! Apartments! Forgive me my explanations points, but that is how much I'm excited about all this stuff that we somehow lost.
    I guess it would be unfair to say that TS4 gave us nothing. But somehow that is all the stuff that I don't care that much about. For example, I find the exact color of eyes for my sims being 1000 times more important than the size of their butt, but that's just me.
    In my opinion if they plan to keep The Sims 4 alive for a few more years they should at least throw us a bone. At least something in terms of customization.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited July 2020
    My creativity is not really sparkling after playing the same game for 6 years.

Making sims in CAS is what I enjoy doing the most but I have noticed lately that it takes so long for me to make outfits for my sims because I am looking at clothing from 30+ packs and I have to spend so long just looking at what colors that are available.

As for creativity in gameplay, I think the most fun I had was with Get Famous, it's not difficult to imagine scenarios that you can do with a famous celebrity.

I have no inspiration when it comes to the recent packs. I had no idea what to do with Tiny Living and I tried to play a rags to riches sim in Eco Lifestyle, I wanted to do similar things in the trailer but when I discovered how insanely boring it was to craft candles, and that the insect farms did not work I just gave up, I gave him a normal job and built a container home for him, that's about it.
    Post edited by logion on
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    I will not mention storytelling gameplay here. For me, it lacks in many ways.

Although as a Creation Tool I do believe TS4 offers a lot. I’m more of a builder and CAS creator. Despite the absence of paintable ceilings, I feel that building in TS4 is far easier and more satisfying than in TS3. CAS, same thing. I have to say that I utilized the create a style tool and colour wheel to a great extend in Sims 3, but I don’t feel the lack of it so much In TS4. I definitely think some things need expanded upon. E.g. I would like to see more skin detail slots or a body hair section in CAS. More for the guys around here!

However, what I do incredibly miss is world customization. In TS3 I was constantly creating worlds with the world creation tool. Laying down roads, paths, forests, lakes. Spawners. World FX. Adding atmosphere and a sense of uniqueness to a world. My world. I’d create towns with highways and bridges that would be full of cars, a harbour, or some dark, cursed island.

I can’t see an entire world creation tool coming for TS4 anytime soon, but I would like to be provided with an option to create a custom open district. Say, the size of Newcrest, but fully customizable. I think that would open up a completely new world of gameplay for me, literally. It should include a way to add roads for drivable cars.
    If that’s not going to be a thing, then at least open up the existing districts, so my sim can visit their Neighbour without being snapped out of immersion due to a Loading screen. Loading screens are fine, but they need to be kept to a minimum. I wouldn’t like to sacrifice the ability to travel to different worlds for a completely open world. But open districts should be considered.

In my opinion, TS4 is aesthetically the most pleasing sims game. Not having the ability to customize the landscape is something I sometimes struggle with. I don’t always want to see the same windmills in the background, or an apartment building. It’s getting claustrophobic after a while. It’s beautiful, but it’s not enough.
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    What happen to the sims direction of the way they wanted to live? Like getting married, having kids, being in a specific career, adopting a pet, picking up a new hobby ect. They're all basic things. They wanted to do whatever, you didn't have to go that route if you didn't want to but the option was there. I don't like managing every little detail with sims wishes and wants to fit my creative dollhouse needs. I want them to direct me with what they want in their short pixelated life. I thought it was more fun that way. Hints why I'm playing previous iterations of the sims.
  • Options
    foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    edited July 2020
    @LaBlue0314 I soo miss the colour wheel - I absolutely loved that feature of Sims 3, it meant you could create the exact shade or pattern you wanted to match the room.

I am a builder and half the play time I am just building lots because I get inspired by some house/building Ive seen on tv/magazines/irl and want to replicate it as I want it and Sims 4 has amazing build quality.

I do miss rabbit holes like the spa when my sim was pregnant in Sims 3 I would send her to the spa for the day and not everyone would have to follow her, she would go out and I didnt have to go with her and then go back to the others in the house - she would just go and I would still be at the property with her partner and other family still at home - I hope I'm explaining myself properly - as in sims4 you as the player have to 'go with' the sim that's travelling somewhere. I used to send my sims husband and kids off to go fishing for the day (in sims 3) while she binge watched movies and I didnt have to go with the dad, I just stayed with the mum.

I miss the open world, the worlds in Sims 3 were so very different, and had so many lots and like Sunset Valley in Sims 3 - some of the lots were downtown, some were by the beach, and some were up in the mountains so it felt like a 'full' world to play in. The premades were so much better too in Sims 3 they had a real back story and were interesting to play

Plus the houses/architecture in sims 3 was so diverse - the perpetual widow in sims 3 can't remember her name (sorry I get brain fog) had a fab house and the Wolf's had a lovely house, but there were some ordinary homes too
  • Options
    FairyLights1FairyLights1 Posts: 759 Member
    Yes, the color wheel, and create a pattern are two things I miss more than anything also. 💔

• Options
    edited July 2020
    CAPTAIN_NXR7 I agree, Sims 4 is aesthetically pleasing. The landscapes, and water are gorgeous, it’s just that you can’t really explore them, or make your own world out of them. 😞

• Options
    And lastly, not so much on the creative side, but many simmers (me included) are longing for baby updates, and instead, they give us a knitting expansion.

That said, EA has always been bad about adding more to the baby and family side of the game, and it’s not just 4. If they watch any videos made by fans, they will see that there is always focus on pregnancy and babies..players need more to work with.
  • Options
    foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    @FairyLights1 I do admit the landscapes and water is gorgeous (once I had reset my graphics I finally got it!) and it would be so great to have swimmable water in most worlds. And to be able to explore more of the landscape even if we cant build on it would be so much better
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited July 2020
    I just wish we didn’t have to come across sims from different worlds. It’s annoying when I see specific sims I designed in the world in a different environment that doesn’t match them in. I liked how in the previous titles that you wouldn’t see other sims in the other worlds. Only the ones within it.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    @Justin wrote: »
    I just wish we didn’t have to come across sims from different worlds. It’s annoying when I see specific sims I designed in the world in a different environment that doesn’t match them in. I liked how in the previous titles that you wouldn’t see other sims in the other worlds. Only the ones within it.

I agree 1000%. It absolutely drives me up the wall. Some NPC's even have the nerve to visit that world looking at their utmost hideous. They can't even be bothered to dress appropriately for the climate or the culture. They break every tiny sliver of immersion there was left with their constant stalking behaviour. It's absolutely despicable!
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited July 2020
    @Justin wrote: »

I agree 1000%. It absolutely drives me up the wall. Some NPC's even have the nerve to visit that world looking at their utmost hideous. They can't even be bothered to dress appropriately for the climate or the culture. They break every tiny sliver of immersion there was left with their constant stalking behaviour. It's absolutely despicable!

I hope in the next series they don’t do that again. The only reason they had to do that was because the world/town was really tiny . There’s only so much you can add to one world without it being repetitive or boring . It would be nice if they could expand the towns a bit. I disliked how small get famous world is when LA is so much bigger then that.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited July 2020
    I completely agree creativity is all but lost especially with the worlds and no CAW you can never truly make a world your own because all worlds are set in stone and there is no way to change them or anything about them.

Things like making roads a dirt road, changing or completely removing backdrops not possible sure you can make a fantasy castle on your lot but its still set within a modern world where no one has cars.

I also find it so annoying no matter what you do fix every single townie and dress them how you want the game wont use them and spawn a dozen more that do not fit in the world/story you as a player have created.
    Post edited by ChadSims2 on
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"