Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Spark'd - Challenges July 17

EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
edited July 2020 in The Sims Spark'd
Sul sul Simmers!

The time is here - our first The Sims Spark'd Challenges are waiting for you to jump in the game and get creative!

kx6v528s6c1a.png

Each Spark'd Challenge introduces a unique theme, with three ways to participate. Share your Creations with the community, and if you are chosen as a Top Spark'd Creator, you may be featured on this site—or even get a chance to be considered for future seasons of The Sims™ Spark’d competition show!

Showcase your unique style and creativity. Choose how you want to play (click on each challenge to find out more):

Check out ea.com for more info!
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    So regarding the videos/storytelling... Do they have to be live videos, or can they be like, screenshot slide shows? I've got a couple of cool stories in screenshot version that I've been wanting to do something with.
    #Team Occult
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    It's not possible to see the upload with most hearts. The filtering for the most popular upload lists them by the number of downloads, not hearts. We vote with hearts, I think we should be able to see the most hearted uploads.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    So regarding the videos/storytelling... Do they have to be live videos, or can they be like, screenshot slide shows? I've got a couple of cool stories in screenshot version that I've been wanting to do something with.

Seconding this question! I was wondering about this too.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    First of all, this is a great idea for the community, however, I kinda disagree with the judging selection. As we all can see now, for example, the most downloaded/favourites are buildings that are not within the themes or perhaps those with thousands of followers. We missed a lot of interesting creations out there.

How will EA going to go about on this issue, if this is an ongoing challenge? I think this is something that EA needs to look into more carefully before a lot more issues arise. I sincerely hope that with this project, we can actually help the unknown talented simmers/content creators & perhaps, let this be, their stepping stones. Let's just say, I want to see new faces.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2020
    Looks like people are already taking advantage of the hashtag and derailing it. The top downloads on the challenge section are pretty much entirely completely unrelated to the challenge. Tons of generic looking houses and generic attractive sims. People are just jumping on the hashtag as they do with every hashtag to get attention. There needs to be some sort of regulations/criteria to make it work properly so people can't just put anything under the tag.

Also worried about the judging, it seems like every day players wont stand a chance and it'll just be the same group of super talented builders with thousands of followers winning every time. I like the idea of challenges but I feel like it needs more work for it to actually work well.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited July 2020
    I was just looking through the submissions and yeah, I was disappointed that in the top 50, more than half (I counted) in the build section, are nothing to do with weddings in the slightest. :( It sounds harsh, but I think there should be a ban from using that hash tag for the current contest duration if you are found abusing it.

Also makes me not want to vote with my likes if I'm filtering through all the rest of this nonsense.

It also seems that if people had this creation already in their gallery the votes and downloads transferred over? So someone might have 60 votes from the past year and now they're winning at the "judging" section? I mean maybe they got that many votes on their non-wedding mansion in the past 2 hours, but I'm thinking no?

They need someone policing this I think. I think using an old gallery creation is fine, but it should be cleared of likes and downloads once submitted. Also I think anything that has an "original by" should also be flagged and not allowed for submission. I saw a couple of actual wedding entries that were stolen and when I checked the original, little to nothing was changed.

It's a bit disappointing that I'm just some random simmer and found out all of this within a half hour. If Maxis/EA wanted to, they could have this working better and cleaned up by now. :/

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited July 2020
    Camkat wrote: »
    I was just looking through the submissions and yeah, I was disappointed that in the top 50, more than half (I counted) in the build section, are nothing to do with weddings in the slightest. :( It sounds harsh, but I think there should be a ban from using that hash tag for the current contest duration if you are found abusing it.

Also makes me not want to vote with my likes if I'm filtering through all the rest of this nonsense.

It also seems that if people had this creation already in their gallery the votes and downloads transferred over? So someone might have 60 votes from the past year and now they're winning at the "judging" section? I mean maybe they got that many votes on their non-wedding mansion in the past 2 hours, but I'm thinking no?

They need someone policing this I think. I think using an old gallery creation is fine, but it should be cleared of likes and downloads once submitted. Also I think anything that has an "original by" should also be flagged and not allowed for submission. I saw a couple of actual wedding entries that were stolen and when I checked the original, little to nothing was changed.

It's a bit disappointing that I'm just some random simmer and found out all of this within a half hour. If Maxis/EA wanted to, they could have this working better and cleaned up by now. :/

I don't think that there's any interest in having a random simmer participate in reality tv unfortunatelly.

After this issue takes care of itself, they will still need to sort out the underage players that can't officially take part in the challenges.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I was never interested in the show, but I thought the challenges could be fun and that I might submit something if I found the theme inspiring. Now I am not so sure. I started making a couple for the current theme but when I looked at the Spark'd tab I was really taken aback. I mean, I have no interest to appear on TV playing the Sims (not that I had a chance of winning anyway), but I was hoping to have fun with this part of Spark'd. But like others already mentioned, there are so many unrelated and generic submissions it kind of spoiled for me.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
    I was never interested in the show, but I thought the challenges could be fun and that I might submit something if I found the theme inspiring. Now I am not so sure. I started making a couple for the current theme but when I looked at the Spark'd tab I was really taken aback. I mean, I have no interest to appear on TV playing the Sims (not that I had a chance of winning anyway), but I was hoping to have fun with this part of Spark'd. But like others already mentioned, there are so many unrelated and generic submissions it kind of spoiled for me.

You could have fun and upload any way. Or just favourite some entries.
    crocobaura wrote: »

No worries, I didn't say it spoiled the game for me, just the Spark'd challenges. Looking at the entries was not fun, I am not going to wade through pages and pages of generic entries to heart stuff. It's not tragic or anything, I was just giving my feedback.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...

No worries, I didn't say it spoiled the game for me, just the Spark'd challenges. Looking at the entries was not fun, I am not going to wade through pages and pages of generic entries to heart stuff. It's not tragic or anything, I was just giving my feedback.

That was my feeling too. I wanted to like some stuff, I was even shopping for a venue to use in my own game! But wading through the stuff that shouldn't have been there was sad. I was seeing more illegitimate stuff than actual contest stuff.

I do wonder how this is supposed to "take care of itself". Especially when some builds/sims have hundreds of likes from before and people have 2 weeks here to "catch up".

If I were to submit a build now. Even if it was fantastic, I'm not a youtuber but following the rules, I'm going to lose because the mansion that has nothing to do with weddings has 200 likes and I'll be lucky if I get 5. If they think the "like" sorting will sort out this issue for them, I think they're sadly mistaken. I know I'm probably not going to bother going back to wade through that mess to try to find something to like and I'm sure a lot of others won't bother either now.

If they are "keeping an eye on it" then why can't they just take down those submissions? :/

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    I'm going to wait until just before the deadline to vote. Hopefully it will have been sorted out by then.
  • Jen411371__Jen411371__ Posts: 36 Member
    I haven't got anything to add especially that hasn't already been said, other than my additional frustration with the organisation of this program.

I'm really not interested in the reality show side of things, but was quite excited about in game challenges. Even more so when I saw the first theme was weddings - I had just built a wedding venue that was super special to me and that I'd really love people to see, and also because I'm doing a black widow challenge at the minute and wedding venues are always helpful! The sheer volume of unrelated lots in the most popular tab is dismaying on both accounts 😔😔

Also, while I appreciate the twitter response, I'd love to know how its going to "take care of itself" to the extent that all the amazing wedding lots that have been submitted in the last 24 hours (there's been some incredible ones, but I've had to dig for them!) are going to actually be seen by anyone? They've pretty much disappeared into the abyss at this point 🤷‍♀️
    Also @Camkat thank you for your lovely comment on my venue, it was so appreciated 🥰
    edited July 2020
    Camkat wrote: »

That was my feeling too. I wanted to like some stuff, I was even shopping for a venue to use in my own game! But wading through the stuff that shouldn't have been there was sad. I was seeing more illegitimate stuff than actual contest stuff.

I do wonder how this is supposed to "take care of itself". Especially when some builds/sims have hundreds of likes from before and people have 2 weeks here to "catch up".

If I were to submit a build now. Even if it was fantastic, I'm not a youtuber but following the rules, I'm going to lose because the mansion that has nothing to do with weddings has 200 likes and I'll be lucky if I get 5. If they think the "like" sorting will sort out this issue for them, I think they're sadly mistaken. I know I'm probably not going to bother going back to wade through that mess to try to find something to like and I'm sure a lot of others won't bother either now.

If they are "keeping an eye on it" then why can't they just take down those submissions? :/

What makes it worse imho is that it ruins the regular gallery even more. By dangling the carrot of a TV appearance and 100k in front of people the uploads are increasing, bloating the gallery with more and more generic stuff. I don't even know how many households I saw uploaded for the challenge made up of 1 or 2 of the Sims generated by the game when you open CAS. I wish at least the regular gallery was separate from the Spark'd gallery. I am still going to be very happy to use the Sims I made in my game, so I am not saying I wasted my time on anything, but the gallery is going to get more and more plummy with every passing day.

we all try ...
    I wish at least the regular gallery was separate from the Spark'd gallery.

I actually thought that was how it was going to be. I agree that it should be separate.

I'm going to wait until just before the deadline to vote. Hopefully it will have been sorted out by then.

This might be the smarter way to do it. ;) I should probably do the same.

Also @Camkat thank you for your lovely comment on my venue, it was so appreciated 🥰

You're very welcome! <3
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    People trying to compete with other people's creations is unbelievable. I was thinking about taking part but after seeing the criteria for the winners and the response by the players I don't think I will. I don't think I will be seen anyway since I have only 4 followers or something.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    I uploaded just for fun but I regret it because I know people will just steal my creation. Never again will I do that .
  • OrangeSodaSINOrangeSodaSIN Posts: 58 Member
    i don't mean to be rude, but this is very dishearting, you are letting people with stolen creations keep getting the spotlight but not people's original and unique ideas...it doesn't sound very promising or good for people who want to try this if people are gonna take advantage. please do better at that.
  • pandykekekepandykekeke Posts: 54 Member
    Justin wrote: »
    I uploaded just for fun but I regret it because I know people will just steal my creation. Never again will I do that .

i'm about to upload something that i put a lot of time into, but hesitating precisely because of this concern
    Origin ID: pandykekeke
  • pandykekekepandykekeke Posts: 54 Member
    edited July 2020
    i also think the reality is if there are 1000s of creations, most people might just get a few likes, if any at all, simply because people just can't get to viewing that many and the format right now favours those who already have tons of attention. and that can be pretty disheartening. the prize also doesn't seem that amazing so my view is that people just want some recognition for their hard work. i was wondering, do we really need this much time, until aug 9(?) for a single challenge? how about make them weekly, and maybe sub-divide the entry categories (ex. for builds we can enter into the specific type of style you're doing, or lot size, or budget) and showcase the top 10 of each or whatever? eliminate hashtags? spark'd entries shouldn't be bleeding over from the regular gallery.

i dunno... this voting system needs to be reworked.
    Origin ID: pandykekeke
    In addition to the voting system needing some tweeking, the gallery is still doing the thing where it's not showing everything anyways. Some people won't get votes they should because of this. People can't see to vote what they can't see. :/

Honestly, i'm trying to not let it bother me, but its just so frustrating. I was glad for the challenges personally because i've got some stuff going on IRL and regular gameplay wasn't really doing it for me. So the challenge/goal aspect was a big tick for me. But the way its being organised/presented by EA, and kinda abused by some players is just taking any kind of joy out of it.

As a Simmer, I was hoping to be able to find some really amazing builders/story creators to follow, but instead, every time I load the sparkd gallery, its literally like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack.

And as a builder, its pretty off-putting to submit something relevant to the challenge rules, that you've put energy into, and have it fully disappear in the gallery within about 25 mins, never to be seen by anyone, while generic and often stolen house builds are at the top of the pile with 1000+ downloads just because they've previously gathered a lot of followers... I just don't know who at EA thought this kind of community vote was ever going to work. It's pretty tricky to discover actual talent when you're *actually* running a popularity contest 🤷‍♀️ (IMO)

Not talking about myself there btw, the prospect of being on a TV show holds no interest for me whatsoever, I just shudder at all the amazing builds which have now been lost in the mass, I'm sad for the builders of these creations, A LOT will be feeling despondent if they've put time and love into something to have it not even seen, and selfishly I also want to be able to share this thing that took me such a long time and actually have people be able to see it 🤷‍♀️😂