Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should facial recognition tools be used for TS5?

Imagine this, right. You get these facial recognition tools all over the place these days for security and even social networking sites seem to recognise you. Now imagine this. You have a proper CAS in TS5. Have all the cool features such as we have had in the past few days but also an option (and it should be an option) to upload your own pictures from somewhere and for the game to actually 'Simlify' them.

Cool?

For some players who want to make themselves or their friends then it could be fun. Add your friends in the Sims and make some cheeky edits. Want a celebrity in your game? Get a picture of them and you could get a Sim of them straight up.

This could be a cool feature!

Thoughts?
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited July 2020
    I don't make my sim self in any of my games, but why not? Sounds like a nice option! I remember The Sims 1 had something like this where you can insert a face photo in an external create-a-sim program.

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I wouldn't use it myself, I don't play simselfs or any other real person (And in fact turn facial recognition off of all social media as well, despite not uploading photos of myself anyways haha)

But if it's totally optional then, yeah, why not? haha!

• kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I mean, it all depends on what EA does with that facial data.
    Is it entirely user-side, or is it like the telemetry data Origin is always collecting?

I barely trust Facebook with my personal information as it is, I don't know if a company like EA, which is hardly benevolent, is really a corporation I want with even more personal data on me than they already have.
    wJbomAo.png
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    I mean, it all depends on what EA does with that facial data.
    Is it entirely user-side, or is it like the telemetry data Origin is always collecting?

I barely trust Facebook with my personal information as it is, I don't know if a company like EA, which is hardly benevolent, is really a corporation I want with even more personal data on me than they already have.

Hmm, that's a good point!

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I don't make my sim self in any of my games, but why not? Sounds like a nice option! I remember The Sims 1 had something like this where you can insert a face photo in an external create-a-sim program.

Yes I used that before :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    It sounds like it could be a lot of fun to play around with, I remember having fun making Mii's on the Nintendo DS using a similar process. My main concern though is if they made the Sims look too realistic to match the photos. I really prefer the cartoony look of the Sims 4 because I find more photo-realistic videogame and animated people to be really creepy and they end up looking really terrible the older the game/movie gets. (An example is Polar Express, it makes me really uncomfortable and I can't watch it)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    I don't know about this. Facial recognition is something I don't care for at all, anywhere. Privacy is important even when out in public. It's one reason I can't stand phone cameras, people should have to ask 'May I film you and put you on FB or Youtube'. However, I wouldn't mind if they brought back photoskinning so we can take a photo and of a real person and paint that onto a Sim head. I wish TS1's feature had been included in the later games, think how much better we would be at doing that if we had kept that up and improved our skills after all these years. ETA: But I never build my 'simself' that's too much voodoo, nor anyone I actually know. :o ETA: I don't even like to see a real person's picture as their real avatar photo. It's too weird when you know they have people tweeting out to you, a PR person and it's 99% of time not the actual person...like a celeb or someone. I have never liked to see the person's real face staring at me. lol No, go back into the shadows and remain autonomous. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    If they do this in Sims 5 forget it I like to play by myself, because no one plays the same way as another. I won't be buying it I dont need to be watched every time I do something next they will be in the Bath room with us.
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    So long as they are honest about what's happening to the data, I won't mind too much - but I'm still gonna read that privacy policy down to the last infuriatingly tiny letter. It would be kinda cool though - I suck at making simselves.
    banner.png
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Naw, don't need facial recognition , I am fine with creating my sims the old fashion way.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    So long as they are honest about what's happening to the data, I won't mind too much - but I'm still gonna read that privacy policy down to the last infuriatingly tiny letter. It would be kinda cool though - I suck at making simselves.

No one ever is are they? Google just got hit with another suit though people had set their settings not to spy on them and or to share that personal info or give away and or share that personal info.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i think thats a great idea and would be easyer making or simselves in the sims5 but how would it work for those that do not have webcams on there pc would they have to use there ipads iphones to take a pic and then upload on pc?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    i think thats a great idea and would be easyer making or simselves in the sims5 but how would it work for those that do not have webcams on there pc would they have to use there ipads iphones to take a pic and then upload on pc?

I'm just thinking sims will end up looking weird, like those photoshopped sims we have now. The skin on the face will probably not mach that on the body, and the face will look weird depending on the conditions you took your picture in.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Hell no. That would be wrong on so many levels involving security and privacy.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Am I the only one who doesn't care if EA has pictures of my face?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    edited July 2020
    While provided, what I use for the base of my Sims is the stuff that was publically available in the first place; and I know it will make that a lot easier. I am critical of the technology's security, privacy, and opportunity for misuse. And for all we know, it's simply not a local feature on my PC. Knowing EA, they'd keep anything uploaded for "analytics"; and we know how common data breaches are these days. It's part of the reason I personally don't use online banking.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I think even the police are being forced to give up facial recognition, at least in the UK. It has the habit of thinking some races all look alike. True!
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I've always thought it would be cool if you could feed the game a picture of yourself and it could make a simself for you! I'm not really sure how these things work but if it could be done so that you didn't have to go online to access this feature presumably that would allay concerns about privacy.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    I made my wife's simself off a photo (twiddled with sliders) in Sims 3. Came out close enough for horseshoes and hand-grenades.
    Screenshot-4.jpg
    Don't need facial recognition. Reminds me too much of those janky EA Sports NHL facial recognition tools. If I want a simself. I can make them myself.

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    On one hand yessss, a fast, easy way to get my Sims to look how I wanted them to look in the first place!
    On the other hand, I might just get lazy and never make a Sim by hand again. Just upload a picture of a celebrity from the internet...

I don't think the technology is there yet, and I'm okay with it.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 783 Member
    I agree 100% with Cinebar. Facial recognition does NOT belong in a Sims game! I think making Sims the old-fashioned way is the best way for everyone.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I think for developing a game it would make animating much easier to do. So I wouldn't mind it for that.

For in game it mainly works for MMO and I don't think it would work well for the main series, but do really well for the Urbz sequel game.

I know one former employee of Gaiaonline talked about it with Everquest II.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6GK6Oo58c

This is the motion capture which I think would work well for the main series and how many movies and some games are made now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8136CxSh5Ps

Motion capture does bring a more human quality to games. There are so many details that the human face makes that years of animation will never capture completely.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited July 2020
    I love the stylized look sims 2 and 4 has (especially 4!!) I want to stay away from the uncanny valley as much as possible. I dont want hyperrealistic sims! Especially with how goofy the franchise is. Hyperrealistic sims in a world with gnomes, llamas, and all the other weird stuff just doesnt match with the tone.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Things being as they are, I wouldn't recommend that anyone should use facial recognition (or fingerprint technology) frivolously. Once that kind of information is stolen, there's no way to roll back the clock. None. In general, you can't simply cancel the old data and start over from some scratch with new fingerprints or a new face. So any social media or equipment that makes use of those things gets a hard pass from me. A game would be as frivolous a use for that technology as I can imagine.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited August 2020
    09c9f343459b28828ffd.jpeg
    So... @StrawberryYogurt, you'd get weirded out by playing with Sims like this? ~evil grin~
    or this:
    1d9ac81b50d34de87606.jpeg
    or maybe even this:
    6fdb2de766f51a85681a.jpeg
    Nothing wrong with gnomes if you make them look like this.
    b44e80d36d79eaa7b0dc8b42eea46456.gif
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~