Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Problem with The Sims Spark'd

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    happyopi wrote: »
    So my question is where does all the money go to? Why doesn't the Sims team have more budget but we are now getting a reality TV show?
    Shareholders :)
    Capitalism believes revenue isn't to make product better, but to make rich people richer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I'll be honest, I still have no idea what Spark'd is, but good thread nonetheless !

Shareholders aren't always rich people, but everyday people who were smart enough to buy into a company when it went public. Meaning anyone with some extra cash could buy some shares or stock if they could afford it. There are quite a few here. The problem to me is not enough share holders know about the actual problems of a product. Unless they use that product. Because you know what, they aren't told at share holder meetings there are any problems with a customer base not liking a product. Just new ways they intend to get more customers.

Walmart is a good example it's employees own shares in the company or stock. So your average clerk has a retirement plan so it's important their shares don't plummet. It's a good thing. :) for average people or rather ordinary workers to be able to own shares in a company.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    @crocobaura I just think there is a difference between saying "oh I like that" and saying "oh your creation is the better one, you win" which is kind of what a competition like that has to do in order to eliminate people.

@SimmerGeorge I suppose there will also be a technical part, with certain guidelines that people will need to follow, and will certainly help to narrow down the pool of entries to find a winner and, if the winner is a subjective choice, hopefully they will present their arguments for it. Kind of like beauty contests and home design shows. Not sure how the story fits into the competition aspect, are they supposed to judge the plot, the screen captures or what?

Yeah now comes the part where I can't really give an opinion before the show airs but we'll see how that's going to work I guess.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    edited July 2020

Lastly I am very dissapointed with the competitive nature of the show and it worries me that this might the direction the Sims is heading. I think the competitive spirit contradicts the core of the Sims series which was always to create your own unique stories and play the way you decide to play. Everybody has a different playstyle and a desire to create stories unique to their liking. The game has no goal, you set the goal and you decide what happens. There is no better or worse in the Sims, there is only different!
    This is where the issue lies. How are they going to judge the contestants on a game with no goal where everybody is free to do what suits them? And even if they do find criteria to judge the contestants the question remains as to "Why?" Why would you compare a Simmer's individual experience of the game with another Simmer? And why would you decide to punish a Simmer's way to play the game with an elimination process while rewarding the one you personally think is better? There is no better or worse, the Sims has no goal, has no rules, it is not about competing, it is about sharing!
    And this is exactly where they went wrong. They should have simply provided random players from all-around the world with a platform to share their experiences and their way of playing the Sims, rather than turning it into this weird mix between competitive E-Sports and reality TV.

It can work as a competition though. Take a storytelling challenge for example. They can base their judgment on how clear and easy to follow the story is, and whether or not the competitors were succcesful on delivering the themes and messages they meant to. Sorta like how you judge a short film. It can help them improve their storytelling too. As for a building challenge, any type of limitations and restrictions could make it work, like time limits, themes and checklists or such. They can set challenges that have nothing to do with judging how others play or their prefered playstyles and personal experinces with the game, it is not like they sat them down and told them to play their personal save files.

I dont intend to watch the show, or defend it. I am just trying to say that The Sims can have a fun and competitve side without it having to involve the things that you fear happening. It is also ok if you are not interested in a competitive side at all. I hope i am not coming off as dismissive of your fears, and i apologize if i did.
    @Mareah No Problem. If I didn't want to hear other opinions I wouldn't have started this thread.
    The thing with me is I always found shelter in that idea of the game being what you want it to be. The motto of the Sims being to play your way always made me feel like everything I did was right and there was no wrong, no criticism, no expectations. It is what makes the Sims unique for many players.

I understand that people might want to take part in competitions and might be possible in a way. I just don't want people to start thinking they have to play a way to be liked. Especially if the Sims 5 becomes an online competitive game. The Sims 5 is also the reason I'm criticizing the competition spirit so much. I think this show is a way for them to give us a hint of what will come in the next years. I'm just speculating but it could be. I just want to remind any person working for the Sims what a lot of players like in the Sims in the first place.

Your example with movies is a good one since it describes the process well. However I do want to add that films are made for people to watch and entertained while the Sims is something personal for most people created for their own enjoyment.
    If someone criticized my Sims gameplay it would feel more like criticizing my own diary than a movie. I hope I am making myself not too difficult to understand.
  • SimGuruNinjaSimGuruNinja Posts: 992 SimGuru
    I haven't fully decided yet, but I might watch the first episode and give it a chance. Maybe.
    edited July 2020
    I haven't fully decided yet, but I might watch the first episode and give it a chance. Maybe.

@SimGuruNinja Okay. Maybe I will give it a chance too. But only if you promise me to go read the community feedback section aswell. Pretty please?
    Post edited by SimmerGeorge on
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    happyopi wrote: »
    So my question is where does all the money go to? Why doesn't the Sims team have more budget but we are now getting a reality TV show?
    Shareholders :)
    Capitalism believes revenue isn't to make product better, but to make rich people richer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I'll be honest, I still have no idea what Spark'd is, but good thread nonetheless !

Shareholders aren't always rich people, but everyday people who were smart enough to buy into a company when it went public. Meaning anyone with some extra cash could buy some shares or stock if they could afford it. There are quite a few here. The problem to me is not enough share holders know about the actual problems of a product. Unless they use that product. Because you know what, they aren't told at share holder meetings there are any problems with a customer base not liking a product. Just new ways they intend to get more customers.

Walmart is a good example it's employees own shares in the company or stock. So your average clerk has a retirement plan so it's important their shares don't plummet. It's a good thing. :) for average people or rather ordinary workers to be able to own shares in a company.
    True I'm not rich. Plus with stockpile site I can buy stock fractions which I just started investing in this year. I just got my first dividend from Microsoft which I was so excited about. I started a financial portfolio when I transitioned from young adult to adult. I figured I can't rely on government funds for when I retire, so started investing in IRAs. I'm not an EA shareholder. I went with other companies instead. My dad did get Best Buy stocks when he was in the Geek Squad with them.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    I gave it a shot and it only reminded me of how much I dislike reality tv.
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I watched the 4 minute clip of it they posted on Twitter, the one where they're coming up with the a video for 3 random objects.
    The stories they came up with were quite bland. StephoSims was the only who came up with something actually funny.
    And the faux drama between the one simmer and Dr. Gluon made me roll my eyes.
  • BotchedParrotBotchedParrot Posts: 11 New Member
    Well, for as long as they're going at it, there's another minor problem if they're gonna be maintaining the feature.

I don't know if it is a hashtag issue, or a glitch with the feature, but either it is particularly the hashtags or just the last 2, but every time I add a published item from the Gallery/Spark'd gallery, the hashtags for it disappear after I add them to my library. It does show up at some point when I'm browsing, but this is interesting.

It doesn't affect any other hashtags or other items outside of it.

That's really all there is to deal with it. But if the show doesn't go on at some point, this seems like a convenient place to clearly set up challenges and eventually it can happen there. Just a thought.
    bixters wrote: »
    I watched the 4 minute clip of it they posted on Twitter, the one where they're coming up with the a video for 3 random objects.
    The stories they came up with were quite bland. StephoSims was the only who came up with something actually funny.
    I was afraid of that. Typical reality show being as fake as the game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited July 2020
    I gave it a shot and it only reminded me of how much I dislike reality tv.

Mixing such a bad concept with the sims... whoever had this idea and all the others that didn't stop it have no love for this game.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

So ridiculous. Really embarassing, even for who's only watching...
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited July 2020
    I've decided I'm going to be very brave and watch at least EP01 on Buzzfeed this Monday because I don't live in The Land of The Americans.
    I will give it a chance and see if my popcorn remains perfectly happy where it should be.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member

The drama seemed real to me when I watched the full episode.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    babajayne wrote: »

I only watched the 4 minute clip, so I only saw that little bit. You'd think since their in the same profession, they should all try and get along? I mean they're adults. But I assume their manipulating the footage to make it look more dramatic than it actually is.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Huh, are we supposed to watch for the drama now?
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member

I only watched the 4 minute clip, so I only saw that little bit. You'd think since their in the same profession, they should all try and get along? I mean they're adults. But I assume their manipulating the footage to make it look more dramatic than it actually is.

I think it came out less manufactured in general than I was expecting based on the trailer, but see what you think. When I saw that bit of drama I didn’t think they embellished it or fed into it like many reality shows do. But it looks like there’s more to come from them in the next episode.

They don't. Drama I have heard about on their discord channel is even worst which is making many uncomfortable and wanting to leave the program. So I think Spark'd show actually had to tone it down to make it work for the reality show.
    Scobre wrote: »

They don't. Drama I have heard about on their discord channel is even worst which is making many uncomfortable and wanting to leave the program. So I think Spark'd show actually had to tone it down to make it work for the reality show.

@Scobre Could you elaborate more on your source 'cause I'm curious.
    edited July 2020

Multiple sources within the program and who were in the program. But this explains a lot of what is going on. Honestly makes me guilty being in the EA Playtester program hearing things like this happening. I have helped teens reach to the team before of things going on within the program on Twitch channels. https://wildlyminiaturesandwich.tumblr.com/post/623599590034358272/why-i-left-the-ea-game-changer-program End of the day I just want the community to feel safe, but this explains a lot why the community still remains broken 6 years later. So it is like with the BLM movement going on and other human rights being talked about. If it is ignored within the Sims community too than how am I or anyone else supposed to feel safe? Something needs to change and Spark'd just feels like salt in the wound because it encourages this type of behavior.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    @Scobre wrote: »

Multiple sources within the program and who were in the program. But this explains a lot of what is going on. Honestly makes me guilty being in the EA Playtester program hearing things like this happening. I have helped teens reach to the team before of things going on within the program on Twitch channels. https://wildlyminiaturesandwich.tumblr.com/post/623599590034358272/why-i-left-the-ea-game-changer-program End of the day I just want the community to feel safe, but this explains a lot why the community still remains broken 6 years later. So it is like with the BLM movement going on and other human rights being talked about. If it is ignored within the Sims community too than how am I or anyone else supposed to feel safe? Something needs to change and Spark'd just feels like salt in the wound because it encourages this type of behavior.

Thanks for posting the link.
    It’s certainly an insider, but I didn’t really expect it to be any different. After all this is Showbiz. Game Changers means Showbiz. And I don’t think there has ever been Showbiz that didn’t get dodgy, dark and dreadful.
  • OrangeSodaSINOrangeSodaSIN Posts: 58 Member
    what happened? i am quite confused, and i didn't watch and don't plan to watch.
  • OrangeSodaSINOrangeSodaSIN Posts: 58 Member
    -reads the link posted- wow...i was afraid they didn't care about the community and stuff...and now looks like i was right. that's very dishearting.
    @Scobre wrote: »

Thanks for posting the link.
    It’s certainly an insider, but I didn’t really expect it to be any different. After all this is Showbiz. Game Changers means Showbiz. And I don’t think there has ever been Showbiz that didn’t get dodgy, dark and dreadful.
    Thus the problem with the Sims 4. Power and wealth excuses dodgy, dark, and dreadful behavior because of "Showbiz".