Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realm of Magic vs. Strangerville

Hey everyone. I'm looking to build a bundle to buy some packs I don't have since bundles are only $33 currently. I have chosen Eco Living and Tiny Living, but i'm struggling to decide between ROM or Strangerville. Honestly, I don't find myself playing as a spellcaster often and I don't think I'll even play through the Strangerville storyline unless I'm desperately bored so I don't really care on which pack I buy I just want the deal lol but figured I'd ask for opinions from people who have these packs to see if one is still worth it more than the other.

Which pack do you find brings more use in build/cas or you find brings something else that you use even if not playing as a spellcaster or playing the storyline?

Which would you choose?

Thanks for any opinions. Sorry if you think this sounds stupid haha.

Comments

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Beats me. I'd rank it this way --

Strangerville
    • Larger new world.
    • Nice CAS and Buy assets
    • Playable world story

Realm of Magic
    • Smaller new world
    • Highly detailed lifestate

If you think you'll get more mileage out of a pretty good lifestate and a small temperate neighborhood then go with Realm of Magic. If you would rather have a story about killer plants and a larger desert neighborhood then go with Strangerville. I find the assets to be about equal.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Atm all packs are 50% off. That's a pretty good deal. You said you're not inclined to any of the 2 gps. With this deal you don't need to bundle...
  • Options
    simsonthemoonsimsonthemoon Posts: 86 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

Strangerville
    • Larger new world.
    • Playable world story

Realm of Magic
    • Smaller new world

If you think you'll get more mileage out of a pretty good lifestate and a small temperate neighborhood then go with Realm of Magic. If you would rather have a story about killer plants and a larger desert neighborhood then go with Strangerville. I find the assets to be about equal.

Thanks for the opinion! I may just end up going with ROM because there will probably come a day where I'll be inspired enough to play as a spellcaster lol.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    telmarina wrote: »
    Atm all packs are 50% off. That's a pretty good deal. You said you're not inclined to any of the 2 gps. With this deal you don't need to bundle...

I'm aware of the sale going on which is why I was looking at the packs in the first place. I just thought it would be worth it to bundle because I'd essentially be getting a "free" GP for the same amount of money to just by Eco and Tiny. So I figured why not. :smile: Also Eco is only 25% off making it $30 alone.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

I'm aware of the sale going on which is why I was looking at the packs in the first place. I just thought it would be worth it to bundle because I'd essentially be getting a "free" GP for the same amount of money to just by Eco and Tiny. So I figured why not. :smile: Also Eco is only 25% off making it $30 alone.

Oh nice :) well you've decided already but my preference also goes to RoM. While i do like Strangerville there's much more contentin RoM. And i.love witches:)
  • Options

Oh nice :) well you've decided already but my preference also goes to RoM. While i do like Strangerville there's much more contentin RoM. And i.love witches:)

Thanks for the opinion!
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,961 Member
    edited July 2020
    despite usually being less interested in scifi and very interested in witchcraft I am finding more joy in playing strangerville gameplay cause idk I just like the feeling of danger and rom feels too much like cheating made fancy

build and buy both packs are awesome and I use them tons sv being bit more realistic tho so it fits better with other build stuff

for cas rom is more my taste tho

its about opinions
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I like supernatural/ occult elements but I'd chose StrangerVille. I like it more, it's fun, quirky and different. I like the gameplay, career, cas and bb.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2020
    Strangerville
    + Nice new world, great if you want a small-town feel that's still unique
    + Pretty nice, quaint BB/CAS
    + The Military career
    + You can control how much weirdness there is to the town once you beat the story.
    + George Cahill and his plane house.
    - The "story" is nonexistent and basically amounts to a bunch of annoying fetch quests, rather than any meaningful gameplay
    - No variation in the story, no replay value.
    - Not that you'd want to play it again, because the whole experience is tedious and horrible
    - If you don't like the strange, you'll have to finish its "story" before you can change it.
    - Meta: It was Grant's pet project, many were against it, and it was made as a quick cash-grab because EA wasn't doing well and needed the money
    - No hatchable dragons
    - It sucks and I hate it
    - Honestly, if you want a game pack with a narrative or quest, go for Jungle Adventure. It's superior to StrangerVille in like every way. It's one of the best Sims 4 packs, honestly

Realm of Magic
    + Spellcasters have a lot to play with - they can be evil, good, neutral, have various brooms and wands, practice different types of magic, etc. It's an occult storytellers dream.
    + This included unique eyes and ears (unless they only work if you also have Vampires? Idk), which expands your options even more.
    + The Spellcaster genetic traits are neat
    + It's fun to practice magic and see your spellcasters grow over time.
    + There are a few ways to creatively abuse the spells, like burning down sims' houses, committing insurance fraud and running a bakery without ever having to cook
    +- It's better than Sims 2 and 3's takes on spellcasters, but this pack is far, faaaar behind Sims 1's Makin' Magic
    +- You can duel sims, which is fun. THe problem is that they're all basically the same over and over again, and you don't have much way in controlling the outcome.
    +- The sims have much more effort put into them, compared to all other Sims 4 not named Vlad. But that's not saying much. Also, they're ugly as sin. Absolutely hideous.
    +- The Magic Realm is pretty and a nice idea. But it's way too small and there's nothing to do there. Aside from visiting it being a requirement for one of the aspirations, there's no reason to visit it. It's such a waste of a good concept
    +_ Some of the spells are very handy and fun.But overall, spells are mostly glorified cheats or recycled content, with very few quirky and fun spells
    - Glimmerbrook is dull and the houses are ugly. Like, some of the worst houses EA has ever done.
    - The BB is decent, if niche. The problem is that there's not a lot in there, so you can't really make many houses with these. Very underdeveloped.
    - The CAS is meh, you can tell that they sacrificed unique flavor for the sake of punk/normal clothes to appease the non-occult fans. Seriously, no witch hats? None at all?
    - No hatchable dragons
    - The familiars were terribly executed - they're glorified drones that make comments sometimes. They prevent you from dying of magical overload, but magical overload is so difficult to achieve that you have to actively work towards achieving it in the first place
    - Potions are underwhelming, and you can't even make a good potion shop because they sell for almost nothing and need to be constantly remade. Seriously, most potion ingredients cost more than the potions themselves
    - Overall, it should have been an expansion pack, because it couldn't reach its full potential in a game pack. It's decent or even good, but it could have been amazing
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,922 Member
    If you can/want to use a mod, Bienchen has one for the Strangerville story, where you can unstrange the world by reading a book once. :)

(I have both packs and like both)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I have RoM and I usually love spellcasters but this time around I just didn't find them interesting at all. I can't even pinpoint the problem to be honest. Everything about the pack is very bland unfortunately.
    Strangerville has a really nice world and the military career but the story mode is like no please no please don't.
    If you don't care about the gameplay in either of the. I guess the Strangerville world is worth it more since it can be used as a normal neighborhood, while the realm of magic is not buildable and Glimmerbrook is maybe the most boring world in the game.
    The build and buy items are great in both packs but again there are a few more magical looking items that come with RoM so if you don't care about magic you won't be using them much.
    The CAS in both is really nice.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    edited July 2020
    Despite liking magic better in general Strangerville became one of my favorite packs because I just really love the world and characters.

Strangerville
    Pros:
    -Paranoid Trait
    -Lovely desert world that is different than oasis springs
    -Great CAS and BB featuring hippy clothing, Victorian architecture, and Mid-Century furniture
    -Laptops
    -Military Career
    -Some of the best music in the Sims 4

Cons:
    -The story is soooo boring, I solved it once and never bothered with it afterward, it's a chore really don't bother
    -The possessed sims can be annoying if you live in Strangerville

Realm of Magic
    Pros:
    -Magic
    -Great Art Nouveau BB
    -Music is nice
    -Pretty world
    -Familiars

Cons:
    -Magic doesn't really have consequences in the same way vampires do so it ends up becoming really easy to have an overpowered spellcaster
    -Children cannot do magic despite having an animation for spellcasting and the fact Makin' Magic in the Sims 1 had kids that can do magic
    -Almost all of the spells are repeats of aspiration point rewards or things you can achieve by other means
    -2/3 of the really cool looking sages from the trailer weren't included in the actual game

So, in conclusion, both are great looking packs that have a lot to offer in terms of world and items but are kind of lackluster as far as gameplay. Since it's basically free with the bundle I'd go with whatever one you vibe with more. Maybe watch the trailers on youtube.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited July 2020
    Yeah if I were just going for the pack minus playing a spellcaster or the story... I'd go for Strangerville.
    ROM build by is wonderful but it's kind of limited to a certain style that may or may not be appealing for I guess more standard homes.
    I like the build/buy in Strangerville more especially the doors and windows. I like American Gothic kind of builds and it nails it for me.
    I like the world better in Strangerville too although if you don't play it you will see those little plants around .. they won't grow if you don't get past the first part of aspiration though. That's the state most of my saves are in... except some weirder ones where I want full plants and weird skies/effects.
    Also you have the military career in Strangerville. I love the music also.
    ROM barely wins for me personally as a pack but that's because I play a lot of spellcasters, many of which live in Strangerville lol. They are my top two packs. I need them now.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Eco Lifestyl has two vibes, right? Modern and grungy. Tiny Living fits the green side, and guess who best fit the other? Strangerville. I couldn't think of a more cohesive bundle.

Strangerville even deals with plants too. These 3 together would make a great big expansion in the likes of the Sims 2 ones.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Eco Lifestyl has two vibes, right? Modern and grungy. Tiny Living fits the green side, and guess who best fit the other? Strangerville. I couldn't think of a more cohesive bundle.

Strangerville even deals with plants too. These 3 together would make a great big expansion in the likes of the Sims 2 ones.

This is actually a really good point. I personally like to put themes together so if you are looking for a thematic bundle, this suggestion is perfect. Strangerville has some really good grungy build/buy in it as well as some nice Victorian pieces and weird plant stuff. The CAS is interesting and a little bit "southwest USA" and the world is pretty cool with a few more lots than most Game Packs have. Just keep in mind though, that the world starts out weird, not "normal", and you'll have to play through the story to get it to a normal state if you want. Also, Eco Lifestyle does not affect Strangerville.

Realm of Magic is one of my favorites, but I love to play Occults. It actually comes with two small worlds, but one is the magic realm and you can't live there or build without a cheat. The other, Glimmerbrook, is a beautiful woodland area that feels both peaceful and mystical. Great for Sims who want to live in a little bit of rural isolation. The build/buy is an absolutely gorgeous art deco style with a little fantastical twist. Roundish doors and stained glass...it's just beautiful. And the CAS has some great outfits from hoodies and streetwear to cute dresses to odd styles. But if you like more "normal" gameplay, you might not get as much out of this pack because most of it has a sort of mysterious, magical flavor.

I think they're both great overall, so it's a win-win. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Going by build/buy a lot of them having some nice items I use a lot.

I use a lot of strangerville items for a usual rundown look. Been enjoying building rusty looking trailers or shacks with things that can look like an overall junkyard or using them in run down apartments. With the combination of eco living I can achieve that even more. ROM has some nice furniture for some modern and fancy looks for sure. Plus have made from rustic looking shacks as well with some things for a witch's hut so it's pretty versatile. They both have some really great stuff kinda just depends on what you think you'd use a lot more. :3
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Maybe neither if the two are cheaper without the third. I have all the packs and have had both Strangerville and ROM since they were released. I've used basically nothing from either (maybe the laptop from Strangerville and a deco object from ROM). That's it. The packs will go on sale again, so if you can save money by not buying something you won't play much, I'd do that until I knew for sure I was ready to use it.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I have both packs and only played Strangerville mystery once and probably won't do it again. But I do think Strangerville has more to offer (build/buy, CAS, the military career etc). vs. ROM if you're not interested in spellcasters or the strangerville mystery. I think ROM is only a great pack if you are interested in occult gameplay and spellcasters.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

Strangerville
    • Larger new world.
    • Playable world story

Realm of Magic
    • Smaller new world

@simsonthemoon With Strangerville you get a new career and aspiration. I really like the world. And I play it alot, in some saves I have solved it, others, left the world with weird weather and most others don't bother with the story. It is just a pretty word.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Real of magic is enjoyable only with mods which make it harder to level up and nerf the need potion.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited July 2020
    If you can/want to use a mod, Bienchen has one for the Strangerville story, where you can unstrange the world by reading a book once. :)

Do you have a link for that mod? I've already got a template save with the "mystery" solved but just in case I have to rebuild it from scratch it would be good to know. B)

I like Strangerville mainly for the Military career and the laptops, though I do like much of the CAS as well. The town is a bit underwhelming but it's a good spot to park Sims I don't want culled but I'm not actively playing.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    StrangerVille sucketh. REALM OF MAGIC is so fun and more versatile with the spellcaster occult!
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,922 Member

Do you have a link for that mod? I've already got a template save with the "mystery" solved but just in case I have to rebuild it from scratch it would be good to know. B)

I like Strangerville mainly for the Military career and the laptops, though I do like much of the CAS as well. The town is a bit underwhelming but it's a good spot to park Sims I don't want culled but I'm not actively playing.

https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/strangerville-strangerville/

last mod in that page :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited July 2020
    I'd say if you're going to not play with the actual gameplay, then you should decide based on the style you like more. The CAS for Realm of Magic has some punk/goth clothes that go well with Vampires, some naturey-like clothes that go well with Seasons, and some cutesy clothes and pretty dresses. It's pretty diverse in the outfit style options, so there's not a lot of each style, but if you have a pack that compliments some of the CAS that comes in RoM then you may enjoy it. The BB is very fantastical, and it looks good with the Vampires stuff imo, so even if you don't want to play with spellcasters, if you just enjoy having fun Halloween vibes that could be a fun setting to bring a sim family to.

Strangerville is very western. You get adorable yeehaw outfits and I personally love the town itself. It also has some cool sci-fi objects in BB that compliment Get to Work well. So if you enjoy the scientist career in that EP, or have an astronaut sim, or just nerdy sims in general, then there are objects that go well with that. So if you prefer western and/or sci-fi over fantasy halloweeny stuff, then go for Strangerville. :)
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I have both, was dying to get realm of magic because I wanted witches so bad, but was a bit disappointed in it. The spells are about the same as the scientists potions or the berries you pick from jungle adventure. I was hoping they would be something different. The BB is nice in it though, love the furniture and round windows. I was disappointed in the familiars. I would have liked the lots in glimmerbrook to have been a bit hidden from each other. I would have liked an old fashioned witches hat and outfit ( I would have used spooky stuffs hat if they had made one without the spider.). Not many people show up in my magic realm, and when they do they are wearing turbans..... lol. I wish they had modeled realm of magic more like the vampire pack.

I wasn’t expecting much from strangerville, but I was pleasantly surprised. It had a large town for a GP, and the story play through was fun the first time. I love the look of the world, it’s very pretty. I love the crashed airplane of CaHills lot. I wish the lab had been changeable after the play through though. it has a military career in the pack, wish it had more military stuff as career rewards though). It has some nice stain glass windows and such, And if you want a bit of mystery in the beginning the pack has that. Then it’s a normal beautiful town afterwards.