Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Remastering of TS1, 2, and 3?

cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
While browsing Origin one day, I came across the fact that EA was working on a remastered version of Command and Conquer. While I've never played that game before, I have played similar, and quite like that genre. But, it got me to thinking, what if EA did the same to TS1, TS2, and TS3? TS2 and TS3 aren't really made or optimized for newer systems or hardware, and thus tend to run really poorly, and could use a bit of refinement to their rather low-poly/resolution graphics.

I feel this would really give the older titles the ability to be their best, as I feel the mechanics and gameplay of these older games is far superior to TS4. Supposedly, TS3 doesn't support more than 2GB of RAM, and that is why it is so taxing on hardware and tends to run rather poorly. The ONLY 800x600 resolution of TS2 (as well as many other older games) tends to be an issue with many newer HD monitors. And TS1 isn't currently available anywhere, aside from the secondary market.

So, good idea, or bad?
Post edited by cody6268 on

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I would rather they concentrate on making TS5 the best ever, even to surpass both TS2 and TS3.

It's not because I don't care about TS2 or TS3, but EAxis might not want to put in the effort or funds into remastering TS2 and TS3.

But who knows? I am hearing that they want to do an Anthem reboot!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Looks like EA is already into the redo thing, so why not the earlier Sims versions as part of that? Or are we the forgotten step-child?
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I really would love if they would do this!

If they don't have the time or resources for a team to work on these games, then I'd like for TS1 and TS2 to at least be released to GOG and let them do it. I've bought games from them before remastered and working for win10 and never had any issues so I think they could do a good job.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    I really would love if they would do this!

If they don't have the time or resources for a team to work on these games, then I'd like for TS1 and TS2 to at least be released to GOG and let them do it. I've bought games from them before remastered and working for win10 and never had any issues so I think they could do a good job.

Releasing at least TS1 on GOG would be awesome. I remember adding it to my wishlist there long ago, quite a lot of people have. I don't have a working CD-drive right now, so can't even try to install the game + packs.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    @Kathykins I didn't know this was a thing but I've now since gone over there and added mine too! :) Thanks for that, every little bit must surely help.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    @Kathykins I didn't know this was a thing but I've now since gone over there and added mine too! :) Thanks for that, every little bit must surely help.

The community wishlist is great, and people are still adding to the wishes for TS1 and 2 there. Over 13k has voted for TS complete collection alone :) I'd buy it in a heartbeat if they ever release it <3
  • 4xel4xel Posts: 34 Member
    Remastering Sims 3 wouldn't make much sense yet. It is already on Origin. It runs just fine on modern OS and graphic cards, without compatibility issues. It could use some bug hunting and performance polishing, but EAxise won't put the time in it.

Sims and Sims 2 remasterd would make sense, and Sims 2 probably would be wellcome by a decent number of people.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i would also prefer that they focus on the sims5
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • PingliPingli Posts: 8 New Member
    I am kinda worried that TS5 will kinda be a lot similar to TS4 which I don't really like that much compared to other games so yeah I'd love to see the remaster of 1 and 2, TS3 still holds up and is still supported by EA.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited July 2020
    They have released statements about Sims 3. Not remastering it, but updating it to be truly 64 bit compatible. Anyone with an up to date Mac can't play it right now because it's not.

I still play Sims 2, but it takes a lot of fiddling with various files to make it work. And I can only play at all because I have a Windows partition set up. (I could play Sims 3 with the partition too, but I could only choose one of them and 2 won).

My ultimate wish would be for them to finish the packs for Mac (they only did a few) and update the game to run on current machines with no tweaking. But I'd settle for continuing to use a Windows partition if I could at least get the updates.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    They need to fix the issue in sims 3 where the UI looks too small with tiny fonts if you play on some higher screen resolutiones. It is annoying because all the newer gaming laptops have such high screen resolutiones. I dont know if it is the same in sims 2, but i saw some people say it is. Yes, i am all for this idea if it makes it easier to play and adjust the games for newer laptops.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    If TS3 could allow for more RAM then they would never need to release a new Sims game ever again! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    The Sims 1 and 2 definitely need to be remastered and released. Or even just released digitally in general. There's no reason they can't let you download at least the Sims 1 if you give them a valid registration key for it. Other companies do this with software all the time.

The Sims 3 doesn't need to be remastered, it just needs to be made compatible with 64 bit PCs.
  • Randie_ReignsRandie_Reigns Posts: 59 Member
    I'd like to see 3 remastered and updated with some of 4s features. It would be the ultimate game if the ui was bigger and cas was better.
  • ShaytanShaytan Posts: 11 New Member
    As already said, that would be pretty much putting the efforts that could be invested in a possible sequel elsewhere. Moreover, given the game's core concept is essentially the same throughout the series, that would be pretty much creating competition against TS4 and a possible 5 with another title that would look more on par, then.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    If TS3 could allow for more RAM then they would never need to release a new Sims game ever again! :smiley:

@king_of_simcity7 Do you have the 4GB patch installed?.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Shaytan wrote: »
    that would be pretty much creating competition against TS4

I think any impact on Sims 4 or possible sequels would be minimal as far as sales competition goes.

I think most people who love the older games and still play them, are people who've played since they came out.
    I loved 3 and I have played 4 for about a year now, but I never stopped playing Sims 2 (other than a brief period after I got a new computer and hadn't set things up again yet). So if anything, it's an opportunity to make money off the same people again.

Newer players who came to the franchise with Sims 4, aren't as likely to go back to the other games even with updates. If you just look at them, and haven't played them in depth, they probably seem inferior.

And as far as it pulling resources from Sims 4 or sequels, I don't think it would. It wouldn't make sense to pull people off current projects. They'd be more likely to put together another team, and probably a small one at that, just like they would for any new project.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • bees123bees123 Posts: 12 New Member
    I'd personally love a remaster of 3, even if they just fixed the code up and left everything else exactly the same. It's the one that got me into the franchise, and I've always felt you can do more in it than the others (Don't know if that's true, but it *felt* like it, ya know?
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited July 2020
    Yes we need huge fixes in the sims 3 really especially the code I totally for @bees123 point of view and to be fully 64 bit compatible (and better toddlers and new activities).
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I'd only want them to do things to make it run smoother on newer computers.

I love the current graphics of each game and changing them would destroy part of the game for me.

The CC out there for the games would not get updated and they were made the for the graphics as they are now. So I would not want to lose my CC or have to deal with it looking wildly out of place.
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    sims3 remastered in 64bit would be my dream game.
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited July 2020
    All...I want is for EA to allow us to go into these legacy games and be able to customize them the way we want to play them. Make it so that the memory issues are gone and we can tailor the environments and keep playing the games that we love. Make it so that Sims 2 players can play their game that they want on newer systems without having to jump through the hoops. And make it so that Sims 3 players stop getting these annoying Error 12 crashes due to RAM usage being capped at 4GB. Make it so that we can make actions ourselves and supplement our game as well as useable game objects.

You know as a Canadian, I'm ticked off that I don't have a hockey rink. EA Sports gave us with NHL Hockey... in 1994 and they can't be bothered to put a usable hockey rink into the Sims with the bare minimum "hockey" actions such as taking a shot at a net...and or stickhandling...etc. Do we have to go down to Sanderson and ask them if they can give you guys at Redwood a helping hand? You do know that half of Europe plays hockey? You could have put a hockey arena in Aurora Skies. What else do you think they do with all that snow.

~grumble...~ There'd better be hockey in Sims 5...
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~